Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmarva
    Talkative Member
    • Jul 7, 2007

I've got a nephew and the son of a good friend who will get a set of B&R for Christmas. I'll probably pass for myself, but I am looking forward to Alfred and any other new characters that might come along.

Comment

• Teemu
      Persistent Member
      • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by drmego
      $25.00 a figure isn't that cheap, especially since he is the manufacturer AND the retailer. DC Comics gets 12% of the wholesale price.
      cheap as in lesser quality plastic and cheaper materials used

Comment

• MegoMark71
        Permanent Member
        • Dec 18, 2008

I love what i see so far. The 2 different emblems for Batman is sweet. I do want to see the bodies themselves though. I took all my dc retro figures and parted out the bodies with vintage mego bodies. For me there is just something about the original type 2 body that can never be duplicated. There have been some great jobs done, but make mine mego. I really look forward to the future lines as well. I have no prob with the prices. I collect almost every wrestling figure put out, and a ton of Star Wars. Heck the new 6inch black series figures are priced at $19.99. I can't wait for Christmas.

Comment

• toyman
          Just Another Collector
          • Sep 1, 2008

Those look really good, anyone know what the back of the card will look like?

Comment

• imp
            Mego Book Author
            • Apr 20, 2003

I'm a bitted stunned.

First, this company needs a lot of help when it comes to photography, design and presentation. Their illustration and graphic design is consistently atrocious. These "leaked" photos -- including those recent, disturbing images revealing shoddy working conditions at their Chinese factory -- leave a lot to be desired. And now these photos have managed to eliminate any remaining excitement I had for this line.

I cannot understand how these 1st Wave 'sneak peeks' are so devoid of the charm that made me fall in love with Mego toys as a child, and stay in love with them as an adult. There is something very off about them, yet it's difficult to pinpoint because they are so very close to the originals. Why go 95% of the way there? These kinda sorta almost nearly vaguely look like authentic, vintage Mego figures. Yet they also kinda sorta almost nearly vaguely look like cruddy knock-offs. It's baffling.

Finally, it seems clear to me that FTC used authentic Mego figures in all of their print and online advertising and promotion while soliciting pre-orders. That feels like the ol' bait-and-switch, and I hope it's not too late to cancel my pre-order with my local comic shop, because I am passing on all of these. Two enthusiastic thumbs down. What a shame.

-b

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

I think they look nice. I like the darker blue on Batman.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by drmego
                $25.00 a figure isn't that cheap, especially since he is the manufacturer AND the retailer. DC Comics gets 12% of the wholesale price.
                only 5 bucks more than your DC attempt, and maybe the bodies won't suck on these.
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• TomStrong
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 22, 2011

Ill render my verdict only after I have one in hand.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

My first impression: pretty nice. I like the darker Batman components, the matte gloves. The screening & fit of suits seems good. I'm not sure about the cut & construction of Joker's coat, though.

Overall, considering my substantial initial reservations, I'm impressed.

When do these ship?
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by imp
                      I'm a bitted stunned... I am passing on all of these. Two enthusiastic thumbs down. What a shame.

-b
                      Ben, this is an honest question: What specifically were you expecting? I think quality of fabrication is very important, but I also think it's very difficult to compete with the nostalgic enthusiasm you/I/we here have for vintage Mego awesomeness.

I will also say that it is possible to buy DM components and assemble a very nice, very Megoesque Green Arrow that is both nostalgic & playable. To me, at this point and with the limited info presented, these FTC figures look comparable.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MEGOMAN
                        Defender of the Megoverse
                        • Dec 30, 2008

Originally posted by imp
                        I'm a bitted stunned.

First, this company needs a lot of help when it comes to photography, design and presentation. Their illustration and graphic design is consistently atrocious. These "leaked" photos -- including those recent, disturbing images revealing shoddy working conditions at their Chinese factory -- leave a lot to be desired. And now these photos have managed to eliminate any remaining excitement I had for this line.

I cannot understand how these 1st Wave 'sneak peeks' are so devoid of the charm that made me fall in love with Mego toys as a child, and stay in love with them as an adult. There is something very off about them, yet it's difficult to pinpoint because they are so very close to the originals. Why go 95% of the way there? These kinda sorta almost nearly vaguely look like authentic, vintage Mego figures. Yet they also kinda sorta almost nearly vaguely look like cruddy knock-offs. It's baffling.

Finally, it seems clear to me that FTC used authentic Mego figures in all of their print and online advertising and promotion while soliciting pre-orders. That feels like the ol' bait-and-switch, and I hope it's not too late to cancel my pre-order with my local comic shop, because I am passing on all of these. Two enthusiastic thumbs down. What a shame.

-b
                        Well said! I truly believe that the classic WGSH line should have been left alone completely. I have my original figures made by MEGO and that is what counts. I will not buy any of these!

Comment

• imp
                          Mego Book Author
                          • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                          Ben, this is an honest question: What specifically were you expecting?
                          The colors are wrong. The textures and materials are wrong. The graphics are hideous.

Can you think of another industry where such broad, general interpretations of the original are acceptable as "reproduction" items? When I think of reproduction and/or replacement pieces in other arenas (e.g. classic cars, vintage jewelry, antique jukeboxes, T-shirts, movie posters, etc.), it seems that dead-on accuracy is the objective. Not some loose composite of every version of the product ever manufactured.

Imagine someone wanting a reproduction silver part for their antique watch, and coming across one made of tin that looks only mostly like the original sculpt. No sale.

These are being touted as "reproductions" of the original Mego WGSH -- right down to the minutiae of offering painted- versus removable-masks. Yet from what I've seen thus far, FTC toys are a far cry from the accuracy or detail such claims suggest.

What, specifically, was I expecting? Something like this:

-b

Comment

• hedrap
                            Permanent Member
                            • Feb 10, 2009

Exactly what I expected. I actually appreciate that they didn't try and match fabric and dyes, or else it would lead to only more market confusion.

Robin's head looks different. Not as smushed.

Pricepoint is still absurd for retreads. But for new figures, or new designs, I'll be game.

As I said from the beginning - if they repainted these to look more like the '66 Batman artwork, such as the opening credits to the TV show or the Filmation cartoon, I would've been in like flint.

Comment

• Jason73
                              Correctamundo!
                              • Jan 11, 2009

I'm glad they don't look exactly like the originals. That would have created a new market for scammers trying to pass them off as MEGO.
                              Happy Days-Mego Style

Comment

• imp
                                Mego Book Author
                                • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by Jason73
                                I'm glad they don't look exactly like the originals. That would have created a new market for scammers trying to pass them off as MEGO.
                                A "new" market? Really. Visited eBay lately?

Anyway, it really doesn't matter what I think. I'm disappointed but I'll just move on. I wish FTC the best, but these aren't what I expected, and these aren't for me.

-b

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎