X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

Favorite Underated Silver Age Artists?

One of mine is Dick Dillin...I believe he did something like 12 years on "Justice League of America":

Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!
  • BlackKnight
    The DarkSide Customizer
    • Apr 16, 2005

I love looking at Origional comicbook art. It's real neat stuff. Thanks for sharing
    ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

Ross Andru and Don Heck are a couple of my favorite non big name silver age artists
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• huedell
        Museum Ball Eater
        • Dec 31, 2003

Those "Dillin" drawings above look perfect to the "70s kid" in me

I wonder if that has something to do with that its not colored
        or anything---I was thinking that maybe once things like that
        got colored maybe they lost some of that percision---they surely
        look like great generic bronze age drawings---and I use "generic" in a positive way

(You also gotta love Elongated Man ranking on the Big "S")
        Last edited by huedell; Feb 24, '08, 2:01 AM.
        "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• kingdom warrior
          OH JES!!
          • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by thunderbolt
          Ross Andru and Don Heck are a couple of my favorite non big name silver age artists
          I thought the Same especially Don heck who drew many of the early Avengers and Iron man and other marvel stories...he was a solid story teller.

That's an awesome page Clean classic line work! I love looking at original art Thanks for sharing....

Comment

• Captain
            Fighting the good fight!
            • Jun 17, 2001

Jim Aparo is one....He's recognized, but far underrated still in my opinion. Another favorite is Eduarto Barretto....(so underrated I may have even spelled his last name wrong?). Guy is incredible.
            "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

Need to add Bruno Premiani to the list, his Doom Patrol Art was nice. Its very different from the Marvel art trends of the time.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• argent007
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 7, 2005

I echo Don Heck. While they receive some recognition I would also add Marshall Rogers, Curt Swan and Dick Ayers to my list of under-appreciated Silve Age artists.

I have a small original art collection with pieces by Matt Wagner (2 Batman/Grendel pages and a Batman piece with I believe is unpublished), Steve Rude (a Nexus page) and Dick Ayers (a color drawing or two). I also have a color recreation of the All-American #16 (1st Golden Age Green Lantern) cover by Mart Nodell, who created the Green Lantern. Finally, a nice Batman and Robin ink and marker piece by the late, great Sheldon Moldoff.

I had the opportunity to meet Mr. Nodell and Mr. Moldoff. It was a pleasure. Both were very pleasant and very happy that a young person preferred their talents to the Image crew. In my opinion, the bigger sin is the lack of recognition that a lot of Golden Age artists receive. Sadly, Mr. Nodell passed away in 2006.

I'll be posting some pictures of my art and WGSH mego collection once I get my office/guest room in order. Should be in a couple of months as I'm not getting back to the US for another month.
                My Updated Want List:
                Comic book original art
                1970s Hulk or Spider-man metal garbage can
                Custom Mego Nexus, Grendel

Have lots of comics and Marvel Legends figures for trades. Thanks!

Comment

• The Toyroom
                  The Packaging King
                  • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by Captain
                  Jim Aparo is one....He's recognized, but far underrated still in my opinion.

Agreed...Aparo always did solid work! His Batman, Brave and the Bold, Aquaman runs are some of my favorites.
                  Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

^^ Aparo's Spectre and Aquaman really stick in my noggin.

Comment

• madmarva
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jul 7, 2007

Curt Swan

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

I'm a huge fan of Silver and Bronze Age artists. Guys like Gil Kane, Curt Swan and Carmine Infantino actually get quite a bit of praise, really. I'm a big fan of Kane and Swan, and admire Infantino's design eye, but I like him best when "reined in" by a good inker like Murphy Anderson. Anderson would qualify as an unsung SA great. On his own penciling Hawkman, or inking Infantino or Kane, The man is a solid illustrator. He can draw anything or anyone.

Aparo and Dillin are tops in my book as well. Dillin was such a workhorse, cranking out JLA every month, and usually a World's Finest or DC Comics Presents. And my avatar to the left is Aparo baby. Yeah.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎