X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spawn67
    Career Member
    • Aug 14, 2009

Trading Card Madness!!

How many of these did you have? How about some stories of when and where you got them?

1239411_600935689945403_2002555172_n.jpg
  • Jason73
    Correctamundo!
    • Jan 11, 2009

Awesome. I spent the summer of 1981 trying to collect as many Superman II cards as possible. I still have them too.
    Happy Days-Mego Style

Comment

• ShadowAvenger
      Career Member
      • May 14, 2007

The only ones in the picture that I actually found when they first came out locally was Superman II, Return of the Jedi and Empire Strikes Back. I only found a few packs at the time and still have them.
      Read my blog at Moongem Comics about comics, toys and more.

Comment

• johnnystorm
        Hot Child in the City
        • Jul 3, 2008

Of all of them, Planet of the Apes & The Partridge Family were the ones I put together as a kid. Bought them at the A&G grocery, a little "mom & pop" neighborhood store, usually trading in 2 cent pop bottles for them.
        Later on I bought the Raiders series, I think at Murphys or Woolworth.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
          HULK SMASH!
          • Apr 3, 2010

Of those shown, I had a lot of the SW, ESB, Galactica, CE3K, Black Hole, Raiders, Buck Rogers, E.T., Star Trek, and Superman II cards.

Good memories of going into my local convenience store and picking up one or two packs each visit. Those were the days.

Only managed to put together full sets of one or two of them at the time.
          PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Spawn67
            Career Member
            • Aug 14, 2009

I used to get alot of these at Woolworth's. I remember clear as day their candy section had a lot of these as well as baseball and football cards and candy's that have been lost in time.

Our Ice Cream man had alot of theses as well and I still have my Raiders of the lost ark and most of my movie and t.v. cards that I got as a kid.

It was big in our neighborhood to trade our "doubles" which was a extra card that you already had.

It seems EVERY big movie and t.v. show had trading cards back then.

I really miss those days!

Comment

• ubermanx
              Career Member
              • Jul 3, 2013

We moved out into the country when I was in grade 8 and I pretty much lost all my friends.

And there sure were not a lot of new neibour kids to meet so to say I had a rough time is putting it lightly. Wasn't real good at fitting in at the new school either.

But next door to us was a trailer park with a seasonal general store. I used to pop down each day after school and pick up a pack of Return of the Jedi cards and a Coke. I'd sit down and open them right there at a little snack bar they had at the store.

I became quite a regular there and the staff got very curious about how well I was geting along at putting togther a complete set. It was my little bit of social interaction each day.

Nice memory ... thanks OP.

P.S. High School worked out much better for me

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

What's Maya ?

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

had lots of Star Wars, Monsters and Close Encounters cards. Almost all were bought at the Supreme House of Cheese in Toluca Illinois. The place had a great selection of candy and the best glazed donuts.
                  http://www.supremehouseofcheese.com/
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
                    To Fear is Not Logical...
                    • Feb 17, 2008

Lots of Sci-fi ones for me, too. A couple of years ago, I got into a big Galactica Card kick, again, but pretty much only have what I got as a kid. Back in 76 I got a ton of King Kong ones trying to complete the poster on the back.
                    It's all good!

Comment

• HardyGirl
                      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                      • Apr 3, 2007

I have LOADS of Charlie's Angels cards. I have one pack of ET cards, a pack of Star Trek Motion Picture cards, some POTA cards, and a pack of SMDM cards.
                      "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                        HULK SMASH!
                        • Apr 3, 2010

Originally posted by Mikey
                        What's Maya ?
                        Apparently it was a movie and TV series from the 60s about an American kid who visits India.
                        PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

I had Superman and Star Wars for sure. Even though I wasn't into Star Wars much as a kid, I must have had at least one pack of cards. How else do you explain the Grand Moff Tarkin sticker still affixed to my sister's old Snoopy and Woodstock lunchbox?

I had tons of Superman cards. None survived, but I got a complete set from the first movie a few months back.

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• HardyGirl
                            Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                            • Apr 3, 2007

I remember when I first heard about the Charlie's Angels cards. I was at the annual summer party at my dad's job (Henry Street Settlement), when all of us kids sneaked off and camped out in front of one of the upstairs classrooms. Someone pulled out a few packs of Charlie's Angels cards. Everyone (except ME) knew about this show, (It was on past my bedtime). The kids were looking at them, and talking about the eps. I never felt so outta the loop in my life! I decided I had to stay up and see this show. My older sister had died a few months prior, (RIP Drenette), and my mom wasn't really strict about my bedtime anymore. So I stayed up to watch. I really loved the show. My other friend, Garvin, had a bunch of the cards, but had gotten bored w/ the show so he gave them all to me! I don't have those originals, but I have a ton of them now!
                            "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                            'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                            Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                            If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• cjefferys
                              Duke of Gloat
                              • Apr 23, 2006

I still have a shoe box full of assorted cards from Star Wars, POTA, KISS, Star Trek, Alien, Buck Rogers, Black Hole, Happy Days, Superman the Movie, and who knows what else that I bought back in the day. I loved buying those things, usually it was only a pack or two of each though. The only time I actively tried to put together a complete set was with the first or second series of Empire Strikes Back cards. I remember buying A LOT of packs, and doing a bunch of trading but I think I still came up a card or two short. Fun but frustrating!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎