X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brue
    User without title
    • Sep 29, 2005

Captain Marvel Serial

I just got this from Amazon. I already had a DVD copy of the VHS tapes that I dubbed from the library. -I had edited out all of the cliffhangers to make it a shorter more cohesive movie. But in doing that you miss the whole point of a serial.

More importantly I forgot that I edited out 5 seconds of footage the first time Cap has to sto bad guys from stealing the scorpiion. I wish I could delete the snippet from the DVD as well.

Marvel knocks some baddies heads around. Fine
    He flies in and some more baddies run off in fear. Fine

In response to the fleeing villains -What does Marvel do?
    A. Forget about thenm because they are no longer a threat.
    B. Fly after them and knock them out
    C. Mow them down with their machine gun.

If you guessed C you are right and may understand why this snippet just doesn't belong.

It is the only time in all 12 chapters he does anything like that.

And as far as my rating of this film: I think it is one of the best serials made. Compared to some you may have seen

Not in the same league as the original Buster Crabbe Flash Gortdon

As good as or better than either Superman serials.

WAAAAAY better than the Batman serials.

The Captain america piece of garbage can not truly be compared to anything. Uncut versions of films on MST3000 are all way better than that.
    Last edited by Brue; Feb 24, '08, 10:13 PM.
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Captain Marvel is one of the best out there. Its probably one of the best comic book serial for sure. I like the Captain America one, too.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• kingdom warrior
      OH JES!!
      • Jul 21, 2005

Yup Totally agree! Hands Down one of the best movie seriels ever done! A mean no nonsense Captain Marvel that shot the badguys and threw them over the side of the buildings....Plus the Flying scenes were pretty good for it's time Tom Tyler was a very good character actor who also played The Phantom.

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

Love tha Phantom, too. A few other nice comic book types are The Secret Code, Spy Smasher, and The Mysterious Dr. Satan.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• jds1911a1
          Alan Scott is the best GL
          • Aug 8, 2007

I love the Capt Marvel Serial too. I also really like king of the Rocket Men but that may be becuase I love Rocketeer. Spy smasher was great (if you know the old character it's dead on)

but Flash gordon trumps them all for me. it was the first serial I ever saw

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

All the Commando Cody ones are great, too. Zombies of the Stratosphere, Radar men from the Moon and King of the Rocketmen

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

you guys looking for serials, go here:
              serialsandsuch.com

Comment

• Brue
                User without title
                • Sep 29, 2005

I bought CAP MARVEL new on Amazon for $7.97 + $2.98 shipping

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

^^^ So did I, and the way that dvd runs drives me nuts. The link I gave, carries a lot of HTF or unavailable serials.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                    The Packaging King
                    • Dec 31, 2004

T-bolt, what's the quality on those from that site? Sounds like a lot of good ones to check out...
                    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

^^^ Very good stuff. Of the ones I've gotten from him, Captain America is the least in picture quality, and its still very watchable. Dr. Satan and The Purple Monster Strikes are great quality.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎