X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

The Mego Wiz

Wizard of Oz merchandise seems commonplace today but in 1975, when Mego nabbed the toy license it was a huge, hairy deal. The company actually put one of the film's producers on their board of directors and for Toy fair reunited the living cast members, the orders flowed like melted butter.

The remaining cast of the Wizard of Oz with Mego president Marty Abrams.

For more info on the Mego Oz line, check out the Mego Museum.
    For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

Fun memories. I remember getting the Scarecrow as a Santa stocking stuffer back then. Nice surprise!

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Normally I don't mego topics on PS but we're so terribly behind on the podcast production that I just threw it up there.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Mego really went all out on the outfits on these. One of their best efforts.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

^Definitely. The sculpts and costumes are pretty much spot-on. I don't think there's been a better sculpt of the Tin Man for instance.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• HardyGirl
            Mego Museum's Poster Girl
            • Apr 3, 2007

I used to love those commercials. And that witch looks just like Margaret Hamilton!
            "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
            'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
            Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
            If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• bettyrocker01
              • Jun 11, 2008

As a very lucky child, I had gotten the all the mego wizard of oz characters one christmas and on my birthday got the emerald city play set. Those all became long gone through the years but as an adult was able to purchase all the charachters back MIB, including near mint play set. Good times...thanks for the post!

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
                To Fear is Not Logical...
                • Feb 17, 2008

I think their solution to the yellow brick road being included in the play set is great. They could have just had it drawn on one of the panels, but instead they (no pun intended) went the extra mile and had it something the characters could walk on.
                It's all good!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Great thread, & PS nod. WOz is a neglected line IMO here on the forum, which is too bad because they are beautiful figures. Culturally significant & big sellers, too.

I had most of them as a kid, loved Tinman the best.

The line cries out for a MM card line, btw!!!!!!!
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎