PDA

View Full Version : Not Happy with This News....

Starroid Raiders Dagon
Aug 30, '13, 3:14 PM
I saw this on a wrestling site this morning..

- WWE is being sued by Figures Toy Company. They claim that WWE is trying to back out of their existing license agreement and use a Chinese manufacturer to produce replica WWE belts instead. Figures Toy Company has been making replica belts for WWE for the past 12 years
http://www.wrestling-edge.com/wwe-sued-replica-belt-maker/

The replica belts are Figures major money maker, arent they? I wouldnt want to be tied up with WWE in court. I could imagine that being expensive and a lot of time involved. I hope they get it worked out amicably and it doesnt negatively affect them.

Mikey
Aug 30, '13, 3:31 PM
I can't picture all that many people wanting/buying replica belts

Brown Bear
Aug 30, '13, 3:34 PM
Yes, wrestling belts have been their bread and butter for years. There is a quite a market for these as belt designs change quite often. Hopefully this doesn't some how affect or delay any of their mego goodness.

jwyblejr
Aug 30, '13, 3:39 PM
I can't picture all that many people wanting/buying replica belts

You'd be surprised how many people you see on TV at the matches wearing replica belts.

Mikey
Aug 30, '13, 3:50 PM
Really ?

Hmmm, I didn't know that.

hedrap
Aug 30, '13, 8:21 PM
Dude, replica belts was brilliant capitalism. They saw a high-end market no one was catering to and made it a cottage industry, with prices from 200-700. Even WWF/WWE never realized what kind of money could be made. FTC's had the market cornered for over a decade.

Here's the meat to chew on.

FTC noted that the end of their WWE licensing deal means they will have to let employees go and "suffer significant damages" as well as suffer "irreparable repair" of their goodwill and reputation within the industry. They also noted that WWE has already enforced that third-party retailers advertising in their magazine can no longer advertise FTC-produced items, hurting FTC's customer base.

I've seen variations of games like this before. It's a horrendous tactic by WWE. Employers pull this when they've looking to knife peope in the back and not be found in violation.

I don't see how FTC wins. They can't force WWE to order product from them if they don't have a concrete monthly quota. I guess they're after compensation, which can be huge considering the hole it's going to leave.

I don't want to second-guess the ramifications on the WB lines, but I have a hard time finding the timing of all these events and the constant date shuffle to be mutually exclusive.

ZebMayonaise
Aug 30, '13, 9:28 PM
I will never sleep again. seriously.

...... never

Chris
Aug 31, '13, 1:32 PM
Has Figures Toys ever watched wrestling? You can't trust Vince McMahon.

I hope all works out for Figures Toys.

jwyblejr
Sep 2, '13, 11:06 PM
This may be why there is a delay with the release of their figures. They're busy with this lawsuit.

VintageMike
Sep 3, '13, 5:18 AM
Not good news any way you slice it. Even if they win, it's basically a stay of execution. Even if the court rules in Figures favor, WWE has found a cheaper way to get their belts done and wants out.

Earth 2 Chris
Sep 3, '13, 5:19 AM
I was unaware of their belts until recently, and only then did it make sense for them to have the capital to land the WB lines they have.

Without that cash flow...I fear the worst.

Chris

mego
Sep 3, '13, 8:42 AM
If you sleep with the devil, you gonna get poked.

EmergencyIan
Sep 4, '13, 7:07 AM
I'll be surprised if we see much of what "Figures Toy Company" has promised as far as figures are concerned. I'd love to see everything released and sell for years to come, but I think for various reasons, including the above mentioned, that it probably will not come to pass.

Before this news came to light, I have felt that what they are offering (and it is so much) is overly ambitious. Hopefully, for all interested parties, I am very wrong.

- Ian

megocrazy
Sep 4, '13, 10:45 AM
Their belts were far better done than any of their figures. I was fortunate enough to have been able to be in the display room a couple of times and was simply amazed at what they produced. Their reproductions went all the way back to the early 70's style belts that were worn by guys like Bruno Sammartino, Bob Backlund, and Pedro Morales. it was kind of funny compared to the crappy level of figures they produced. Like 2 different ends of the quality spectrum. I never expected to see a number of the licenses they have come to production but this will definitely not help things. Will be interesting to see what happens.

EMCE Hammer
Sep 4, '13, 12:44 PM
Ahhhh........you doubting Chuckases. According to Anthony the WWE situation will not impede FT's plans. Looks like Batman and Joker are coming along nicely.

http://megomuseum.com/mmgallery/files/5/3/china1.png

http://megomuseum.com/mmgallery/files/5/3/china2.png

http://megomuseum.com/mmgallery/files/5/3/china3.png

Vinny0026
Sep 4, '13, 1:58 PM
wow - is she hand painting every head?

i thought machines did it all?

if so it maybe a while until we see the figures :)

all kidding aside - I really love the back stage shots -

EmergencyIan
Sep 4, '13, 2:11 PM
We shall see. I hope they pull it, all, off.

- Ian

megocrazy
Sep 4, '13, 4:58 PM
Ahhhh........you doubting Chuckases.

Only an assumption until sales numbers show. But yes, I am a doubting Chuckas. Must be all the years in purchasing and marketing. I always look at the bottom line on any investment. I would love to see all the obscure 66 villains like Egghead, King Tut, etc, but I guess time will tell. Re-Mego is a difficult place to be. Very few successes overall.

Lynn TXP 0369
Sep 4, '13, 6:25 PM
That looks pretty cool.
Lynn

CrimsonGhost
Sep 4, '13, 7:57 PM
A tip: When airbrushing, wear a respirator or at least a dust mask. A lung full of paint is no fun.

hedrap
Sep 4, '13, 9:14 PM
No offense, EMCE, but that's Batman and Joker. The concern around here, as you know, is the promise of '66-style and WGSH that haven't been made. When they lose the WWE contract and still drop a wave of West/Ward or Hawkman and Atom, then I'll believe. Until that happens, I would highly recommend a pullback on some of these 12 inch lines. Larry Hagman isn't exactly the hot commodity anymore.

jimsmegos
Sep 4, '13, 9:19 PM
Thanks for the pics. It's amazing to think how much real, human labor goes into these and we can still get them for a MSRP of $24.99, let alone actual cost.

Mego Magyar
Sep 4, '13, 9:43 PM
While the figures still have to get made, wouldn't the biggest cost actually be acquiring the licenses which they have already done?

EMCE Hammer
Sep 5, '13, 8:29 AM
No offense, EMCE, but that's Batman and Joker. The concern around here, as you know, is the promise of '66-style and WGSH that haven't been made. When they lose the WWE contract and still drop a wave of West/Ward or Hawkman and Atom, then I'll believe. Until that happens, I would highly recommend a pullback on some of these 12 inch lines. Larry Hagman isn't exactly the hot commodity anymore.

None taken! I choose hope. They have so much already invested in the licenses that I think they'll go for broke and do whatever it takes to get the first few waves produced. If they tank, sure, I can see the lines dying sooner than we'd like. Fingers crossed.

As for Dallas, on one hand it's a head scratcher. OTOH, I don't think they would gain much or save much by pulling back now. The only specialty part on the figure is the head, everything else will probably be seen again albeit in different colors. May as well produce a run and put the rest in the warehouse for stock or to part out in the future. Personally, I'd have preferred JR in 8" so I could zombie him up to hang out with my Presidential Monsters.

enyawd72
Sep 5, '13, 8:41 AM
Personally, I'd have preferred JR in 8" so I could zombie him up to hang out with my Presidential Monsters.

Don't forget Patrick Duffy! We can finally have the Man from Atlantis...or the leg of a giant Scuzzlebutt figure. :smiley1:

mego
Sep 5, '13, 9:10 AM
It's incredible how much stuff is actually made by hand. Every painted surface on toys: hand painted.
'cheap' guitars: hand built. etc etc etc.
Sad to see such poor working conditions. These people get paid practically nothing and die young from some pretty gnarly cancers. I wish there was a way around this problem.... I suppose it all comes down to money.

MIB41
Sep 7, '13, 2:24 PM
Wow... I go on vacation for a week and all heck breaks loose. Well, as critical as I have been of this company, I have remained hopeful with many of their upcoming license previews. While this news does appear ominous based on the company's response, I will choose to remain positive and hope they can turn the corner and make amends with the WWF, so they can retain their current business model. The alternative is not something I wish to think about right now.

noelani72
Sep 10, '13, 6:24 AM
Ahhhh........you doubting Chuckases. According to Anthony the WWE situation will not impede FT's plans. Looks like Batman and Joker are coming along nicely.

I don't know why, but these pics really affected me somehow since the first day I saw them (and a couple more on their Facebook wall).
I'm naive about working conditions in China..I always knew deep down I guess, and to use the expression out-of-sight-out-of-mind, but these pics sort of give me an odd new-found appreciation for what went into these figures.

garfoot
Sep 11, '13, 5:28 PM
I got this off the Figures Facebook page.

Karyl Miller
Is everything still on schedule for the 1966 Batman figures? I heard that you guys were having some trouble with the WWF license and that it might effect your other products.

Figures Toy Company not effecting batman.

Okay this is not going to hurt Batman because they probably paid a crap load of money to obtain the license. However, what about all the other properties? I thought it was a bit over zealous to begin with, but with the recent problems I really think a lot of these properties are dead in the water.

hedrap
Sep 11, '13, 6:16 PM
Why would someone ask?

What do you expect them to reply with? "All hands on deck! We're going down"!

Good. Lord.

Aricosaur
Sep 11, '13, 8:22 PM
I don't know why, but these pics really affected me somehow since the first day I saw them (and a couple more on their Facebook wall).
I'm naive about working conditions in China..I always knew deep down I guess, and to use the expression out-of-sight-out-of-mind, but these pics sort of give me an odd new-found appreciation for what went into these figures.
Oh come on. That's not that different from how I work on my illustrations, except I sit in a plastic lawn chair and I have a TV to listen to. 'Though the lady in the top pic probably should be wearing a respirator. Of course, a lot of artist in this country don't wear respirators when spraying.

I'm hoping to get the first three waves of Batman 'cause I don't have any original Mego versions.

alterego
Sep 11, '13, 10:39 PM
No offense, Aricosaur..your situation is so NOT like that of a worker in China.

megomania
Sep 12, '13, 1:45 AM
I got this off the Figures Facebook page.

Karyl Miller
Is everything still on schedule for the 1966 Batman figures? I heard that you guys were having some trouble with the WWF license and that it might effect your other products.

Figures Toy Company not effecting batman.

Okay this is not going to hurt Batman because they probably paid a crap load of money to obtain the license. However, what about all the other properties? I thought it was a bit over zealous to begin with, but with the recent problems I really think a lot of these properties are dead in the water.

Shouldn't it be "not affecting...."?

-Chris

Aricosaur
Sep 12, '13, 11:01 AM
No offense, Aricosaur..your situation is so NOT like that of a worker in China.

I'm talking about what I see in these pictures on this thread, which are not different from how artist work in this country, especially independent operators such as myself (I know being an artist is different from a factory worker, I'm talking about the setup in the picture).

What you are talking about is the wider situation in China. Do I work repetitive 18 hour (or whatever) days? Rarely, when I have to meet a deadline but not for more than a few days every once-in-a-while. The problem in China is that they live under totalitarian communism. They need freedom.

Do I wish more toys were made in the U.S.A.? Yes. A lot of K'Nex components are made in the US if you want to buy American (or Lego if you want European.)

ODBJBG
Sep 13, '13, 2:06 AM
There was a Figures Toy Goon standing off to the side with a whip! :sarky:

Teemu
Sep 14, '13, 9:30 AM

I am sure the "slavemaster whips" are hanging on the walls somewhere in those photos....just in case they don't meet their quota of 50 painted joker heads per hour.