X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Starroid Raiders Dagon
    Persistent Member
    • Apr 28, 2013

Not Happy with This News....

I saw this on a wrestling site this morning..

- WWE is being sued by Figures Toy Company. They claim that WWE is trying to back out of their existing license agreement and use a Chinese manufacturer to produce replica WWE belts instead. Figures Toy Company has been making replica belts for WWE for the past 12 years

The replica belts are Figures major money maker, arent they? I wouldnt want to be tied up with WWE in court. I could imagine that being expensive and a lot of time involved. I hope they get it worked out amicably and it doesnt negatively affect them.
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

I can't picture all that many people wanting/buying replica belts

Comment

• Brown Bear
      Still Old School
      • Feb 14, 2008

Yes, wrestling belts have been their bread and butter for years. There is a quite a market for these as belt designs change quite often. Hopefully this doesn't some how affect or delay any of their mego goodness.
      Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• jwyblejr
        galactic yo-yo
        • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by Mikey
        I can't picture all that many people wanting/buying replica belts
        You'd be surprised how many people you see on TV at the matches wearing replica belts.

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

Really ?

Hmmm, I didn't know that.

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

Dude, replica belts was brilliant capitalism. They saw a high-end market no one was catering to and made it a cottage industry, with prices from 200-700. Even WWF/WWE never realized what kind of money could be made. FTC's had the market cornered for over a decade.

Here's the meat to chew on.

FTC noted that the end of their WWE licensing deal means they will have to let employees go and "suffer significant damages" as well as suffer "irreparable repair" of their goodwill and reputation within the industry. They also noted that WWE has already enforced that third-party retailers advertising in their magazine can no longer advertise FTC-produced items, hurting FTC's customer base.
            I've seen variations of games like this before. It's a horrendous tactic by WWE. Employers pull this when they've looking to knife peope in the back and not be found in violation.

I don't see how FTC wins. They can't force WWE to order product from them if they don't have a concrete monthly quota. I guess they're after compensation, which can be huge considering the hole it's going to leave.

I don't want to second-guess the ramifications on the WB lines, but I have a hard time finding the timing of all these events and the constant date shuffle to be mutually exclusive.

Comment

• ZebMayonaise
              • Nov 6, 2012

I will never sleep again. seriously.

...... never

Comment

• Chris
                Persistent Member
                • Dec 23, 2009

Has Figures Toys ever watched wrestling? You can't trust Vince McMahon.

I hope all works out for Figures Toys.
                If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                  galactic yo-yo
                  • Apr 6, 2006

This may be why there is a delay with the release of their figures. They're busy with this lawsuit.

Comment

• VintageMike
                    Permanent Member
                    • Dec 16, 2004

Not good news any way you slice it. Even if they win, it's basically a stay of execution. Even if the court rules in Figures favor, WWE has found a cheaper way to get their belts done and wants out.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

I was unaware of their belts until recently, and only then did it make sense for them to have the capital to land the WB lines they have.

Without that cash flow...I fear the worst.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• mego
                        Veteran Member
                        • Sep 16, 2012

If you sleep with the devil, you gonna get poked.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                          Museum Paramedic
                          • Aug 31, 2005

I'll be surprised if we see much of what "Figures Toy Company" has promised as far as figures are concerned. I'd love to see everything released and sell for years to come, but I think for various reasons, including the above mentioned, that it probably will not come to pass.

Before this news came to light, I have felt that what they are offering (and it is so much) is overly ambitious. Hopefully, for all interested parties, I am very wrong.

- Ian
                          Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• megocrazy
                            Museum Trouble Maker
                            • Feb 18, 2007

Their belts were far better done than any of their figures. I was fortunate enough to have been able to be in the display room a couple of times and was simply amazed at what they produced. Their reproductions went all the way back to the early 70's style belts that were worn by guys like Bruno Sammartino, Bob Backlund, and Pedro Morales. it was kind of funny compared to the crappy level of figures they produced. Like 2 different ends of the quality spectrum. I never expected to see a number of the licenses they have come to production but this will definitely not help things. Will be interesting to see what happens.
                            It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                              Moderation Engineer
                              • Aug 14, 2003

Ahhhh........you doubting Chuckases. According to Anthony the WWE situation will not impede FT's plans. Looks like Batman and Joker are coming along nicely.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎