Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Large size Star Wars figures: Peruvian Style (BASA Vader and Chewie)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cjefferys
    Duke of Gloat
    • Apr 23, 2006

Large size Star Wars figures: Peruvian Style (BASA Vader and Chewie)

I finally picked up a couple figures that were on my want list, a large size BASA Chewbacca and Darth Vader that were made and sold in Peru back in the early 80's. There wasn't a lot of Star Wars merch available in Peru at the time, but most items that were sold there consisted of imported Kenner items with a BASA sticker slapped on the card or box. As far as I know, these were the only two Star Wars figures actually manufactured by BASA exclusively for the Peruvian market. The figures are very similar to the Kenner large figures, except they are around a half an inch shorter, are blow-molded instead of injection molded, the color and paint schemes are a bit different, and the copyright info is missing from the back of the figures. Vader's head seems to be a different mold too. There is only one boxed Chewie known to exist, and only a couple loose complete examples of each known, so I had to settle for incomplete ones, but I'm happy to have them. I took a pic of the BASA Chewie next to my Kenner one to show the size and color difference. Unfortunately, I don't yet have a Kenner Vader to do a comparison pic with (yet!). These guys will be hanging out next to their Latin-American cousins, the Mexican Ledys. My first purchase from a Peruvian seller, but it went great.

• rche
    channeling Bob Wills
    • Mar 26, 2008

Stone cold awesomeness! Just fantastic. These have long been on my hit list. Kudos!

Comment

• Saroyan
      Persistent Member
      • Oct 4, 2011

They look to be in fantastic shape! Congrats!

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Those are really cool.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• starsky
          veteran member
          • Aug 26, 2007

thanks for sharing that info chris!

Comment

• Gorn Captain
            Invincible Ironing Man
            • Feb 28, 2008

Very nice indeed.
            Somebody took good care of these, they are in great shape.
            "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

Thanks for the comments folks. All considering, they were in pretty nice condition, just a bit of paint wear and light scuffing. First thing I did was give them a good scrubbing with soap and water, so that helped pretty them up too.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                galactic yo-yo
                • Apr 6, 2006

Is it me or are the fingers on the BASA Chewie longer?

Comment

• Fitski
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 19, 2013

Super nice collection! Plus a Boba Fett, a Jawa, Luke and Leia 12 inch! Top notch!

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Brain no not of these, mind blown!
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• cjefferys
                      Duke of Gloat
                      • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                      Is it me or are the fingers on the BASA Chewie longer?
                      It does kind of look like that in my pics, but I just double checked. It's just the angle of the pic perhaps that makes it look like that.

Originally posted by Fitski
                      Super nice collection! Plus a Boba Fett, a Jawa, Luke and Leia 12 inch! Top notch!
                      Thanks, got a Stormtrooper and Threepio too. I have to work on finishing the line some day, I love them. Hey man, are you gonna have a table at the Burlington show September 8th? We'll be there, and hoping to see what goodies you might bring this time.

Originally posted by palitoy
                      Brain no not of these, mind blown!
                      Wait until you get a load of the box then, it's killer!

Pic and more info on the figures here:

The Star Wars Collectors Archive is virtual museum of Star Wars memorabilia from collectors around the world.
                      Last edited by cjefferys; Aug 27, '13, 8:41 PM.

Comment

• cjefferys
                        Duke of Gloat
                        • Apr 23, 2006

It's funny, I just noticed in my pic that Vader's helmet seemed to be sticking up a bit too much. I just took a look at him, and sure enough, after applying a bit of pressure, the helmet popped on properly. Looks better now!

Comment

• Fitski
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 19, 2013

Yes sir we'll be at the Burlington show, I'm bringing a few Shogun Warriors (2x Dragun without star shooters and 2 godzillas), we have a lot of mego stuff - comic action and pocket heroes, WGSH, wizard of oz, dukes, a-team, carded Black Hole, possibly Flash Gordon and Ming. I'm bringing a Jokermobile for sure possibly the boxed one. I might have a loose 12 inch Darth Vader with light saber (cheap) if your looking for one as a place holder.

Comment

• rche
                            channeling Bob Wills
                            • Mar 26, 2008

That is some amazing packaging!

Comment

• cjefferys
                              Duke of Gloat
                              • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Fitski
                              Yes sir we'll be at the Burlington show, I'm bringing a few Shogun Warriors (2x Dragun without star shooters and 2 godzillas), we have a lot of mego stuff - comic action and pocket heroes, WGSH, wizard of oz, dukes, a-team, carded Black Hole, possibly Flash Gordon and Ming. I'm bringing a Jokermobile for sure possibly the boxed one. I might have a loose 12 inch Darth Vader with light saber (cheap) if your looking for one as a place holder.
                              Awesome! It looks like you will be bringing better stuff to sell at the show than I will be bringing. See you in a couple weeks!

Originally posted by rche
                              That is some amazing packaging!
                              That's for sure, I remember the first reveal of that box last summer brought near audible gasps on the rebelscum forum at the time!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎