Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mattel and other companies going retro on us.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brannon86
    Museum Super Collector
    • Jul 20, 2007

Mattel and other companies going retro on us.

I have noticed that Companies like Mattel, Zica and others are going retro on us, with the new bat mobile, the SMDM line, the Evel Knievel figure, and other stuff. Whats going on. Im not complaining, I think its great, just wondering the sudden surge in retro figures. New market for collectors now wanting these?
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

That process has been trending for the better part of the last five or six years. You may just be getting in when the fun is hitting it's peak. Which is great! But it's been a basic part of the landscape now for a while. It's taken some time to assess market size in this format. But I think that is beginning to take shape now, so there's more of an expectation as to how much to produce to satisfy that demand.

Comment

• brannon86
      Museum Super Collector
      • Jul 20, 2007

So mostly for the adult collectors market then?

Comment

• SpaceCrawler
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 20, 2008

It's been going on longer than 6 years. I noticed it when Polar Lights started reproducing old 1960s Aurora kits, Sideshow Collectables started doing 12 inch figures of old 60s TV shows, GI Joe was re-released (Masterpiece Edition), and many other things pointed to the toy companies capitalizing on that generation's nostalgia factor. It started with the 60s-70s generation and now is moving/moved into the late 70s/80s generation, as they are the prime consumers now. So the retro trend has been there for a while. Just for different generations.

Sean

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by dogman67
          So mostly for the adult collectors market then?
          Well if you want to examine the entire collector market, that has been going on since the mid-90's when Hasbro first toyed with a retro GI-Joe. Playing Mantis came out with Captain Action a few years later, and then Toybiz took a stab at the Mego universe with their Famous Covers line. But of course in the early 90's you also had Dr. Mego working behind the scenes making reproduction pieces for the vintage line. So the retro world developed a pulse nearly 20 years ago and is beating stronger than ever today.

Comment

• Aricosaur
            Museum Super Collector
            • Jul 26, 2013

I don't think it's so much "going retro" as much as that a good idea never dies (or rarely dies). There were guys reproducing or doing 'inspired by' tin toys and lead style army men back before I was born. I watch Pawn Stars and learned that the Victorians were doing "retro" weapons and armor suits based on designs from a couple of hundred years before their times.

A lot of the properties we grew up with are retro with a new name. What's He-Man? A child-friendly version of Conan. Star Wars is heavily inspired by Flash Gordon. In fact, if I remember my Star Wars history, Lucas originally wanted to do a new, official Flash Gordon movie before switching to writing his own story.

Comment

• Captain Big Trousers
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 14, 2012

My kids just want video games. I'm the one with a toy collection.
              Even My Henchmen Think I'm Crazy.

Comment

• kerowack
                Career Member
                • Feb 27, 2008

Originally posted by Captain Big Trousers
                That's the truth about the world of toys today. The kids don't care about them! More for us!

Comment

• enyawd72
                  Maker of Monsters!
                  • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Captain Big Trousers
                  Which is really a shame. I don't have any children, but if I did, video games wouldn't even be allowed in my house. They are the number one reason kids don't know how to do anything anymore. There's a complete disconnect between the virtual reality of video games and the real world. Today's kids are missing out on so much...the tactile stimulation of a actual physical toy. Even 35 years later, I can still remember the heft of a He-Man figure in my hand...the feel of a Stretch Monster...the smells of Play-Doh, Silly Putty, Lincoln Logs and bubble gum cards.
                  All of these simple joys many of today's kids will never experience.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎