X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

A Stereo Shop Far, Far Away

Francis sent in a pair of awesome Star Wars appearance shots this week, I'll start with this awesome Chewbacca and let him explain.

I thought you might enjoy these pics from 1978. Back story: It was announced (I think in a newspaper ad) that Darth Vader and Chewbacca were both making an appearance at a local stereo/audio shop in Sacramento, California. My friend and I took the bus to the store and encountered the faux-Star Wars characters. I believe we were the only ones there to see Vader and Chewie. It looks like I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Thanks Francis! Look for part two of Francis's adventure in a stereo shop far, far, away next week!

More...
  • EMCE Hammer
    Moderation Engineer
    • Aug 14, 2003

I used to love to go to the home audio store. Ours was called Sun and I'd save my allowance for components. My dual cassette deck was a major coup. The pioneer logo on the box in the pics brings back memories. I don't know who that tall furry guy is, but I always wanted a coat like Francis is sporting.

Comment

• cjefferys
      Duke of Gloat
      • Apr 23, 2006

Awesome pic, that's a pretty nice Chewie outfit. I would love to take a look around in that store and see all the cool vintage electronics.

Comment

• rchatlin
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 24, 2001

Too cool.

Francis looks like a proto Indiana Jones in that outfit.

r
        o
        b

Comment

• SeattleEd
          SynthoRes Transmigrator
          • Oct 24, 2007

^ I was thinking the same thing. Was this perhaps taken in Winter of 81/82? From the looks of that Sansui logo and packaging it it appears to be from the early 80's.

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

That's a really nice Chewie costume for the time. Cool pic.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

Like others have said, my first thought was how good that Chewie mask and costume actually looked. You don't see that too often with this character. So that's a keeper right there.

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
                To Fear is Not Logical...
                • Feb 17, 2008

^Agreed. My eleven year old self would have loved seeing a guy in costume like that.
                It's all good!

Comment

• Chris
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 23, 2009

It's not every day you get a visit from the mighty Big Foot.
                  If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎