Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone remember these windup toys from the 80's?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mazinz
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 2, 2007

Anyone remember these windup toys from the 80's?

The other week I had to replace a filter trap for one of my bathroom sinks. While removing everything in the cabinet under the sink, I found in a little pottery case this cool windup I had forgotten about.

I can tell you that it is from 1979-1983. I know they came on blister cards (and I think on a blue colored background) and in addition to this obvious Jaws sendoff was a taller green dinosaur and I believe a lion.

These windups featured a "snapping jaw' action. Instead of a regular circular wheel to move him on the bottom, it is shaped like an octagon. That "bump" when a corner hits made the wind up toy kind of lurch forward, however it was also made so that the lower jaws on these things would snap shut at that point- so it really did look like it was trying to bite you.

For some reason I remember them being a bit popular. Looking at the toy itself however no manufacturer or date is listed other than the usual "made in Hong Kong"

The Corps G.I.Joe figure is in the picture for size reference. I know the Green Dino was probably up to his chest and well you can see how big the shark is.

Sadly the Shark is no longer working but would love to find these again. If anyone can help out with what they might have been called it would be greatly appreciated--

"What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"
  • Access
    Veteran Member
    • May 22, 2013

Hmm, never had one of those as a bathroom toy, but I did have those lumberjack figures with the soft rubber heads that you could squirt water out of their mouths! LOL I forgot what those were called too! Heck! Bathtub toys could be a subject all its own on this forum me thinks!

Comment

• mazinz
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 2, 2007

Originally posted by Access
      Hmm, never had one of those as a bathroom toy, but I did have those lumberjack figures with the soft rubber heads that you could squirt water out of their mouths! LOL I forgot what those were called too! Heck! Bathtub toys could be a subject all its own on this forum me thinks!
      funny part is he was NOT made for the water but at times I would fill the sink with water, some toy boats and a mild bubble soap. I totally remember that this thing would still work and kind of climb up the side of the sink (my bathroom sinks were rounded not square), so in some way it really looked like the shark came out of nowhere (due to the white bubbles) and would be snapping away. Never heard of your lumberjack figures but sounds interesting
      "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎