PDA

View Full Version : Does the Batman 66 license include rights to make Green Hornet and Kato?

Mike77
Jul 29, '13, 2:54 PM
I was hoping someone might have the insight to that question. Those would be 2 awesome figures if made!

jds1911a1
Jul 29, '13, 3:21 PM
I was hoping someone might have the insight to that question. Those would be 2 awesome figures if made!

I doubt it
While the same tv production company made both shows, Dc has never had the rights for producing the Green hornet in comic or print forms
And the recent Seth Rogan film may allow some flaxibility with the likeness (if you went film version) but for a classic Kato you would need to get Bruce Lee's estate to sign off on using his likeness (and really who wants the film versions over the tv ones)

Earth 2 Chris
Jul 29, '13, 4:09 PM
I would say no. If the 66 stuff does well, it may possibly pique toy company's interest in licensing the classic Hornet TV show, though.

Mike77
Jul 29, '13, 7:29 PM
I thought since they appeared on the Batman TV show the might be included with the license. Oh well.

MIB41
Jul 30, '13, 5:25 AM
That would be a nice addition if the line is a strong seller. Unfortunately it may not be possible to have both of those licenses share the same backer card since they are likely not under the same umbrella of copyrights anymore.

jwyblejr
Feb 8, '14, 4:11 PM
Giving this a bump in 2014 and seeing if anyone thinks if it's now possible.

madmarva
Feb 8, '14, 8:21 PM
FTC might be able to get the license and work out the agreement for the likenesses with the actors or their estates, but as others stated DC does not own the license to Green Hornet and Kato so those characters would not be included with FTC's contract with DC.

Love to see it happen.

palitoy
Feb 9, '14, 9:53 AM
The GH and Kato license has been made into action figures for 20 years, it's not included in Batman 66 but if FTC isn't doing this somebody should.

PNGwynne
Feb 9, '14, 10:46 AM
^Like CAW/ZIca! Ditto the Lone Ranger. :grin:

samurainoir
Feb 9, '14, 9:42 PM
Medicom did GH and Kato a while back. Enterbay only did Kato.

jds1911a1
Feb 18, '14, 6:42 PM

in the 90's Playing mantis did both the Green Hornet and kato for the retro KB excl Capt action resissues and the carded uniform line, while obviouly inspired by the show the kato likeness was far enough away from Bruce that I don't think his estate was in the apporval circle

starsky
Feb 18, '14, 6:49 PM
i hope they are made as well. here's info on who owns the rights to the green hornet.

http://www.greenhornet.info/licenseeinformation.html

Vinny0026
Feb 19, '14, 7:54 AM

It does not. Matter of fact the rights to the show did not even include all the batman characters. CTV had to aquire them in addition to the rights of the show.

Would be great if ctv went and got the rights
and made them on both Green hornet cards, and also batman 66 cards from the episodes they were in.

JediJaida
Feb 19, '14, 7:37 PM
I should think that getting a license to do these two would run into problems with Bruce Lee's estate. And that is a license that is VERY difficult to acquire, due to the efforts of his family. Which is understandable.

But getting a Kato with an accurate Bruce Lee sculpt, (and removable mask) would be wonderful!

melstapler
Sep 9, '15, 1:37 PM

What we need is for either NECA or Diamond Select to produce a 7 inch figure of the Green Hornet. NECA was able to acquire the rights to make Arnold Schwarzenegger figures from Predator, Terminator and Commando, so I'd imagine they'd be able to acquire rights from Bruce Lee's estate if anyone could. NECA did a good job with the Lone Ranger figures from the film with Johnny Depp and although I'm a big fan of the Lone Ranger, I'm an even bigger Green Hornet fan.

thunderbolt
Sep 9, '15, 4:45 PM
I should think that getting a license to do these two would run into problems with Bruce Lee's estate. And that is a license that is VERY difficult to acquire, due to the efforts of his family. Which is understandable.

But getting a Kato with an accurate Bruce Lee sculpt, (and removable mask) would be wonderful!

there have been a good number of Bruce Lee figures done over the years with the estate's approval so that shouldn't be a problem. Its the Green Hornet holders that are the problem with figures and the show getting released on disc.

plaztekman
Sep 9, '15, 5:13 PM
Someone needs to shrink a Bruce Lee Enterbay head so we can all make customs!

thunderbolt
Sep 9, '15, 5:23 PM
Someone needs to shrink a Bruce Lee Enterbay head so we can all make customs!
I've been eyeing up the Sideshow Lee action figures that should be about right scale wise.

houseofdracula
Sep 9, '15, 8:33 PM
I'm thinking that there has to be a way.
They were able to produce these comic books.

scott metzger
Sep 10, '15, 8:51 AM
there have been a good number of Bruce Lee figures done over the years with the estate's approval so that shouldn't be a problem. Its the Green Hornet holders that are the problem with figures and the show getting released on disc.
Look at how long it took to get Fox to play ball with Warners to release Batman '66 rights; the Green Hornet show doesn't have that kind of pull. The big problem is that the sort of merchandising we have today was barely in it's infancy in the '60's, and sorting out the rights now is apparently a nightmare (especially when things like videos and DVD's weren't even a pipe dream when the original contracts were made). FTC could likely get the rights to do A Green Hornet and Kato by getting the rights from whoever holds the character right now, but doing the TV versions means sorting out the rights in the same way they had to with Batman, and that's going to take a while...

starsky
Sep 10, '15, 10:35 AM
being a huge 1966 green hornet fan, i'm still hoping it happens!