PDA

View Full Version : BatMan Wave 2 - a disappointment?

Vintage Quixotic
Jul 23, '13, 7:27 PM
I was so excited to order wave 1 - the advert alone made me feel like a kid again - Batman, Robin, Joker & Riddler - exactly as I remember them!
Then - wave 2 - not so much. Sort of anti-climatic. Wave 1 is a hard act to follow unless you go straight to BatGirl, and say Superman, Green Arrow, & Shazam! But beggars can't be choosers and I am happy to support these awesome companies by buying what I like!

Zemo
Jul 23, '13, 7:45 PM
What does wave two include?

Boywonder0
Jul 23, '13, 7:51 PM
What does wave two include?

Wave 2 would consist of Alter Ego Bruce Wayne, Alter Ego Dick Grayson, Penguin & Catwoman. Certainly NO disappointment at all.

Wave 3 would be Removable Mask Batman, removable Mask Robin, Batgirl & Alfred Pennyworth. Great choice too!

I want them all!

Brown Bear
Jul 23, '13, 8:15 PM
It's far from a disappointment if you ask me. I can finally own a Catwoman and RC Bats and Robin.

The prototypes look spot on too......can't wait.

MIB41
Jul 23, '13, 9:14 PM
I'll only be aiming for characters I want, which means Catwoman from Series 2 and Alfred from Series 3. I might be tempted to get the RC Batman, but it all depends on how faithful the cowl is to the original. If it's pretty much spot on and not like the crop of repro's that have been out there for the past 15 years, I might take the dive. I like the alter ego's, except the paints aren't quite right. The eye brows are wrong on both of them. Of the two, Bruce is the closest. But if you're a new collector who have never had one of these, it might be a good way to go. I'm hoping we get some good reviews though when series one comes out. It would be nice if someone made a video as well on Youtube. I would like to see how well these things stand and pose.

thunderbolt
Jul 24, '13, 2:45 AM
wow, didn't this thread already happen once?

Vintage Quixotic
Jul 24, '13, 9:58 AM
Wave 2 would consist of Alter Ego Bruce Wayne, Alter Ego Dick Grayson, Penguin & Catwoman. Certainly NO disappointment at all.

Wave 3 would be Removable Mask Batman, removable Mask Robin, Batgirl & Alfred Pennyworth. Great choice too!

I want them all!

I understand this POV from a hardcore Mego fan. And you're the target demographic.
To me, wave 2 is drab, and wave 3 - oh, it's Batman and Robin again, identical to wave 1 except that their masks are removable. I do think it's all pretty cool, though!

Mike77
Jul 24, '13, 10:49 AM
I'll only be aiming for characters I want, which means Catwoman from Series 2 and Alfred from Series 3. I might be tempted to get the RC Batman, but it all depends on how faithful the cowl is to the original. If it's pretty much spot on and not like the crop of repro's that have been out there for the past 15 years, I might take the dive. I like the alter ego's, except the paints aren't quite right. The eye brows are wrong on both of them. Of the two, Bruce is the closest. But if you're a new collector who have never had one of these, it might be a good way to go. I'm hoping we get some good reviews though when series one comes out. It would be nice if someone made a video as well on Youtube. I would like to see how well these things stand and pose.

For the alter ego heads is the whole head painted? including the flesh tone? or is it made from a fleshtone rubber like the originals with just the hair and eyes painted? Thanks!

MIB41
Jul 24, '13, 11:20 AM
For the alter ego heads is the whole head painted? including the flesh tone? or is it made from a fleshtone rubber like the originals with just the hair and eyes painted? Thanks!

From what I can see, it's just the hair and eye paints. And you know maybe having an alternate set of eyebrows is the right thing to do, so there is some distinction from the originals.

Gorn Captain
Jul 24, '13, 12:15 PM
wow, didn't this thread already happen once?

Holy Repeating Time Loop, Batman!:grin:

timb
Jul 24, '13, 3:01 PM
This might be a dumb question so forgive me if it is. Alot of the collectors on the boards already have the original Megos Figures (Batman Robin Catwoman, etc.) Figures Toy co. is reproducing.

What is the benefit of buying the repros?

jwyblejr
Jul 24, '13, 3:30 PM
I've seen quite a few replies that said they don't have a Catwoman.

MIB41
Jul 24, '13, 3:44 PM
This might be a dumb question so forgive me if it is. Alot of the collectors on the boards already have the original Megos Figures (Batman Robin Catwoman, etc.) Figures Toy co. is reproducing.

Not a dumb questions at all. For myself, I'll get the RC Batman IF the cowl is pretty much spot on. I have many original RC figures. But it would be for nostalgic reasons to see him brand new again. He's always been one of my favorites. But the jury is still out on that because the cowl has to be just right. But I would also like a cleaner version of Catwoman than what I have. And of course having Alfred would be a nice addition. Those are the ones thus far I'm interested in.

thunderbolt
Jul 24, '13, 4:41 PM
Holy Repeating Time Loop, Batman!:grin:

yeah, its deja vu all over again.

timb
Jul 24, '13, 6:53 PM
I'm not being a nay-sayer. I'm curious how well this line will sell though. Mattel couldn't sustain their line - partly because of their crappy body problems.
However I wonder how strong the demographic is for these figures. Seems like the collector crowd is a somewhat smaller demographic > narrow that down to primarily nostalgic Mego fans which is an even smaller demographic aged 35 and over > narrow that down to Mego collectors who may or may not buy the figures because they may have the originals.

DO you think this will be a lucrative endeavor for these guys in the end? Again, not being a poo-pooer SOunds like they did pretty good with KISS, so maybe I'm getting it wrong.
THen again they have a whole DC license, so DC will likely be promoting them as well which can't hurt.

Thoughts?

MIB41
Jul 24, '13, 7:46 PM
I'm not being a nay-sayer. I'm curious how well this line will sell though. Mattel couldn't sustain their line - partly because of their crappy body problems.
However I wonder how strong the demographic is for these figures. Seems like the collector crowd is a somewhat smaller demographic > narrow that down to primarily nostalgic Mego fans which is an even smaller demographic aged 35 and over > narrow that down to Mego collectors who may or may not buy the figures because they may have the originals.

DO you think this will be a lucrative endeavor for these guys in the end? Again, not being a poo-pooer SOunds like they did pretty good with KISS, so maybe I'm getting it wrong.
THen again they have a whole DC license, so DC will likely be promoting them as well which can't hurt.

Thoughts?

I think the line will be fairly successful because the company will be able to re-purpose the bodies they don't sell and put new heads on them for future lines. And like they do with all surplus, they'll sell off the remaining parts for customs which services lots of folks waiting for the leftovers. So ultimately I think they'll sell the majority of what they manufacture in one form or another and profit nicely from it.

Vintage Quixotic
Jul 25, '13, 1:29 AM

Thoughts?
As far as demographic, I think it's a strong one. The appeal is there. When I happened on the Wave I ad here on Mego Museum I got super-excited and bought them immediately from Entertainment Earth. They look so good, I'm curious if the pics they used are actual mego's - we shall see... but I guess they bought only the BatMan license, and that's where they lose me. Wave 2 doesn't excite me and I could care less about an Alfred figure. Gimmie the super heroes and then start dishing out the obscurities.
They keep making these mego-likes, so the demographic must be there. But i did wonder about lines like Happy Days and Space:1999 when they re-did them. An original Fonzie is still pretty easy to get... I do scratch my head on some of the lines offered...

jwyblejr
Jul 25, '13, 1:18 PM
They didn't know they were getting the full DC license until they started to announce the Batman stuff.

boynightwing
Jul 25, '13, 8:57 PM
I'm in for Bruce and Dick. I don't have and can't afford originals. I'm also looking to get the Riddler. Maybe other ones but I'll see.

ScottA
Jul 25, '13, 10:17 PM
I will probably get them all just like I did all the Mattel figures. If it helps sell them and helps get to figures Mego never made like Alfred then I feel it's a win-win for me.

enyawd72
Jul 25, '13, 11:12 PM

The big draw for me at least is that I'll be able to actually play with these ones without fear of breaking my expensive originals.

Timothy2251
Jul 26, '13, 4:50 AM
The big draw for me at least is that I'll be able to actually play with these ones without fear of breaking my expensive originals.

Pretty much this. These new versions you can give to your kids to play with, use 'em to fill holes (permanently or temporarily) in your own Mego collections, give 'em as gifts to your favorite Batfan, etc. All while keeping your original Mego Batman stuff safe under glass or on display.

Alfred is a neat bonus figure that I'll absolutely pick up when released.

MIB41
Jul 26, '13, 6:15 AM
Pretty much this. These new versions you can give to your kids to play with, use 'em to fill holes (permanently or temporarily) in your own Mego collections, give 'em as gifts to your favorite Batfan, etc. All while keeping your original Mego Batman stuff safe under glass or on display.

Alfred is a neat bonus figure that I'll absolutely pick up when released.

That was well said. I think that sums it up nicely.

Relic
Aug 7, '13, 7:39 PM
Just out of curiosity, if you collect the new Megos how do you know the bodies are no good. A real collector would never open the pakaging.

jimsmegos
Aug 7, '13, 8:07 PM
Just out of curiosity, if you collect the new Megos how do you know the bodies are no good. A real collector would never open the pakaging.

Dude. Really? I'm a loose collector. Does that make me less than the MOC / MIB type?

GoldBlade6
Aug 7, '13, 9:53 PM
Dude. Really? I'm a loose collector. Does that make me less than the MOC / MIB type?

Yeah, and not to add fuel to a fire, but wouldn't a real collector know about the line he is collecting? Like, quality, how the figure works, what it's like, etc.? Real collectors don't just blindly throw a packaged toy into a box without a full understanding of that toy. I think any real collector - loose or MOC/MIB - would know about what he's collecting - including whether the bodies are good or bad.

Brown Bear
Aug 8, '13, 6:26 AM
For the record, the bodies are Not the current stock of CTVT bodies. These are brand new durable replicas of the original mego body. The exact size.
Based on the Kiss bodies, I'm not concerned about the quality at all.

Bionicfanboy66
Aug 12, '13, 4:38 AM
I've always preferred the RC Batman and RM Robin over the later versions. Then again, the very first action figure I recieved happened to be a RC Batman on my 7th birthday. I'll probably be holding out for those figures. I missed out on the original 1974 Wards secret ID figures, so these new ones are a must. Would be great to see a Barbara Gordon figure get produced.

Bionicfanboy66
Aug 12, '13, 5:01 AM

A true collector is more concerned about the quality of the product, not just the packaging. Never saw the point in collecting action figures/toys without opening them up. That's just like claiming to be a comic book enthusiast and not bothering to read a single comic. Just buying, boarding, and bagging them isn't enough. Collecting anything should be about the thrill of the hunt, not leaving the stuff packaged and hoping to get top dollar for them in a few years. If that's why you're in it, than you're in the wrong hobby.

thunderbolt
Aug 12, '13, 5:09 AM

I set my toys free, guess I'm not a "real collector". :juggleyes_y:

mego maniac mark
Aug 13, '13, 8:02 AM
Chalk me up as another not real collector. I collect mego figures and prefer to have them loose so I can Have them in my hands to relive those thrilling days of yesteryear.

I opened my megos that I reaquired, batgirl, batman, robin, off the card.Am I crazy? My peogotive.
The thought process that a figure being moc and has a certain value , with the hope it makes you rich one day should not be the primary reason some one collects . If it is, that's their perogitive , to each his own.
That doesn't make them a "real " collector . This is just my opinion, but it's real.

Of course when opened them , i did so carefully and still have the cards, but again I want to see them more with my hands and not my eyes.

RobTMego
Aug 13, '13, 9:19 AM
Chalk me up as another not real collector. I collect mego figures and prefer to have them loose so I can Have them in my hands to relive those thrilling days of yesteryear.

I opened my megos that I reaquired, batgirl, batman, robin, off the card.Am I crazy? My peogotive.
The thought process that a figure being moc and has a certain value , with the hope it makes you rich one day should not be the primary reason some one collects . If it is, that's their perogitive , to each his own.
That doesn't make them a "real " collector . This is just my opinion, but it's real.

Of course when opened them , i did so carefully and still have the cards, but again I want to see them more with my hands and not my eyes.

I totally understand, all my Mego's are bought loose (except one AJ, out of 10 for display) and I agree, love to touch and play with them. But If I had MOC I would probably save or sell them and buy four times more loose with the cash :)