X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UnderdogDJLSW
    To Fear is Not Logical...
    • Feb 17, 2008

Would anyone think Animated Star Trek?

Has anyone ever talked about the wish/hope to add Lt. Arex or M'Ress to the EMCE line? I always thought the Mego figures looked like they were based off of the animated likeness of the actors and that got me thinking why there might not have been a Chekov design in the first place. Doesn't explain a lack of Sulu though.
    It's all good!
  • mego73
    Printed paperboard Tiger
    • Aug 1, 2003

There was, I believe, a disconnect between Marty and the deal makers and the artists. Martin A. has said they always thought in terms of the line being based on the live action show.

But it is clear that those that designed and sculpted the figures drew inspiration from the animated show. It makes sense, since animated Star Trek was actually on NBC when the line was being developed. The Klingon, in particular is a dead ringer for the animated Captain Koloth in the animated More Tribbles, More Troubles.

I sure do hope that Arex and M'ress get EMCE's but the odds are against it since it seems aside from video and DVD releases (and a trading card set) Paramount de-emphasizes the animated show. I don't remember any official action figures from Playmates that came from the animated show, for instance.

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
      To Fear is Not Logical...
      • Feb 17, 2008

The three legs and arms for Arex would have been a deal breaker back in the 70's (and possibly now). A whole new body would have to be made. Just wishful thinking.

But if the line ever does make a Cyrano Jones, it would be cool if he could come with some pink tribbles and the Klingon globber (sp?).
      It's all good!

Comment

• fallensaviour
        Talkative Member
        • Aug 28, 2006

I have been working on an Arex for awhile now.Third arm not a problem third leg a little bit of a pain.
        I love the animated Trek and alot of the animated has been used as cannon so I don't know why they try to play it down?
        I've done a couple figures from the animated and want to do more but if EMCE can do some I'm off the hook.
        “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• HardyGirl
          Mego Museum's Poster Girl
          • Apr 3, 2007

Well, someone must have been thinking animated series when they designed the Neptunian. The animated series did have a similar character, while the live action series had none.
          "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
          'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
          Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
          If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• mego73
            Printed paperboard Tiger
            • Aug 1, 2003

The animated Trek is the first Star Trek I ever saw and will always hold a special place in my heart. I got interested at the tail end of the NBC run. That means that by the time I figured out this was a show I had more than a passing interest in they took it off the air and I was crushed.

Fortunately, less than a month later my local station picked up the live action Trek.

There was a certain "magic" in seeing the live action show for the first time and seeing what was first, for me, an animated show come alive in live action.

Still, the animated show was the Star Trek that was taken away from me just as I was getting interested.

So, seeing any Trek toy package or any other bold colorful Star Trek art (like on the Mego Star Trek figure card or the art on the Mr. Spock and other AMT model kits) evoked the animated series in my mind first and foremost.

Finally, the animated Trek was syndicated, in addition to the Live action one on my local station and I finally got to see what was mostly missed first time around.

But Mego Star Trek will always seem like it goes with animated Trek to me.

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• apes3978
              Permanent Member
              • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by fallensaviour
              I love the animated Trek and alot of the animated has been used as cannon so I don't know why they try to play it down?
              My guess as to why they play it down is simply because it is animated, although it wasn't totally "kid like" stories, etc. I remember seeing some show and DC Fontana was on there, and she said that on the animated show the fans knew it wasn't just some animated show, they were getting STAR TREK. Now if someone that is connected with both the original series and the animated series says it was STAR TREK and not some kiddie show, I can't see why PARAMOUNT feels otherwise...

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
                Pat Troughton in disguise
                • Nov 21, 2007

They could always do Bem ..and just pack a bag of bits.....
                ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• mars396
                  Museum Super Collector
                  • Sep 14, 2007

Fascinating
                  I remember always thinking the Mego Star Trek figures were from the Animated Series.
                  I watched every Saturday morning in anticipation of seeing a Klingon clothed Gorn, or the return of the Cherons or a clothed Mugato. When I never saw a Neptunian onscreen, I was crushed – I really wanted to see that episode.

Comment

• Captain
                    Fighting the good fight!
                    • Jun 17, 2001

Arex and M'ress would be cool!!
                    "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• ctc
                      Fear the monkeybat!
                      • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

Paramount disavowed the animated show almsot as soon as it came out; which is a shame, 'cos it was really good. They had a lot of the same writers for it, and they did sequel episodes for a lot of episodes of the original show. The only bit they made official was Spock's history; and I bet they only did that because so many fans loves that episode.

Arex and M'Ress would make awesome figures, but they'd both present a lot of design problems. (Arex has six awkwardly places limbs and M'Ress has jack-legs.) There are a lot of OTHER characters from the seires though....

The Neptunian wasn't shown in the cartoon. They had Aquans, but they looked a lot different. But they did have the Kasheetans in the third movie that look kinda like the Neptunian.

Don C.

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Remember the anti pollution ad that featured the animated trek crew? That ad used to bug me as a kid because they had taken the show off years earlier.

I like the animated series but we got the regular series every Saturday morning at the same time, my older sister loved herself some Shat so guess what I watched. As a kid, I couldn't distinguish Star Trek from any other Saturday morning show like Ark 2 or Space Academy.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Captain
                          Fighting the good fight!
                          • Jun 17, 2001

I could live with a M'Ress style head on a regular human body.
                          as for Arex....I have been kicking around ways to do him for years. The arms not a big deal, but the third backwards leg is a real design nightmare...especially if you try and figure out how to make it bend so he can sit down!?????
                          I'm starting to think if I ever make an Arex he will have two arms and two legs.
                          "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎