X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brue
    User without title
    • Sep 29, 2005

wondergirl's arms revisited

This was discussed awhile back but I have a WG in my collection and one I am going to sell. The one has bendy arms the other has arms that do not bend. Could I force them to? - Probably ony by breaking them.
    They are also different plastics. One has more stiff fingers shinier smoother plastic and is actually a hair shorter than the other! <the non bendy arms.

They are definitely both for WG - hands look identical. Besides as far as we know the body is unique to her.

In past threads and Ben's book it says she HAS bendy arms - I now question this.

Other thoughts - comments...
    http://gallery.mac.com/bruehoyt#1000...&bgcolor=black
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

I really need to check my WG's arms and see if they bend.I've never tried.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• jemboy2004
      Persistent Member
      • Aug 14, 2005

Mine don't bend at all. they don't have the wires in them. I've had the wons that bend but some don't have this feature. The color of the arms are lighter and the plastic is harder on the non bendable ones.

Comment

• imp
        Mego Book Author
        • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by Brue
        This was discussed awhile back but I have a WG in my collection and one I am going to sell. The one has bendy arms the other has arms that do not bend. Could I force them to? - Probably ony by breaking them.
        They are also different plastics. One has more stiff fingers shinier smoother plastic and is actually a hair shorter than the other! <the non bendy arms.

They are definitely both for WG - hands look identical. Besides as far as we know the body is unique to her.

In past threads and Ben's book it says she HAS bendy arms - I now question this.
        This is very interesting! Brue, in the picture below, which one has the non-bendy arms?

Mark Huckabone apprised me that I only documented the first version Titans card, missing a second variation with modified copyrights (otherwise identical). It seems that Mego produced Titans long enough to make not only two different packages, but also to modify Wondergirl's body construction. I can only imagine that it was cheaper to produce them without the wire armature and cheaper plastic. If that's the case, I'd expect the zombie-head figure to have the non-bendy arms (i.e. a later edition), but I have a feeling you're going to say the one on the LEFT has non-bendy arms. It also appear that the one on the RIGHT uses different, darker plastic for the lower legs and torso.

Good stuff! If a second edition ever comes to pass, I'll want to make sure this is covered. Thanks for bringing it up!

Benjamin

Comment

• jemboy2004
          Persistent Member
          • Aug 14, 2005

Imp my non bendable arms wondergirls has had a grey head but have them with non grey too but the wire in the arms heads I'm not sure if they are often grey or not. I remember the one I had and sold didn't have a grey head but I've had a few wondergirls but have not kept track of which one's did or didn't have grey heads or not. I think I will now look at that and think it's a good point.

Looks like the one on the right is non bendable arms wondergirl to me.

Comment

• imp
            Mego Book Author
            • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by jemboy2004
            Imp my non bendable arms wondergirls has had a grey head but have them with non grey too but the wire in the arms heads I'm not sure if they are often grey or not. I remember the one I had and sold didn't have a grey head but I've had a few wondergirls but have not kept track of which one's did or didn't have grey heads or not. I think I will now look at that and think it's a good point.
            Thanks for shedding new light on this! I'm really excited about all this information, though I'm a little sad I didn't gather all of it in time to cover it in the book!

Looks like the one on the right is non bendable arms wondergirl to me.
            I would hope so, since other attributes suggest it is a 'later issue' figure. Thanks again!

Benjamin

Comment

• Brue
              User without title
              • Sep 29, 2005

yes the affected head on right (prob inferior plastic) came on the non bendy arm version (on right)- consistent with what has been seen in other late issue figures.

also note that the necklaces are of different opacities. the more translucent came on the non bendy.
              Last edited by Brue; Feb 22, '08, 10:47 PM.

Comment

• imp
                Mego Book Author
                • Apr 20, 2003

yes the affected head on right (prob inferior plastic) came on the non bendy arm version (on right)- consistent with what has been seen in other late issue figures.
                Brue, this is absolutely WONDERFUL information. Thank you for posting it!

also note that the necklaces are of different opacities. the more translucent came on the non bendy.
                How cool! That makes a lot of sense. I suspect the yellow plastic used to create WG's necklace was the same material used to cast Batman, Robin and Batgirl accessories (among other odds and ends), all of which started out quite translucent, while later-issued accessories are the bright, opaque canary-yellow.

Would you be willing to send me some high-res photos of these items, specifically the later-issued, non-bendy variation? I'm not saying I'm doing a second edition of the book, but it would be great to have access to the images just in case I get the opportunity. If so, please send me an Email at benjamin@worldsgreatesttoys.com and we'll arrange a file transfer.

Again, thanks for a great topic, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Benjamin

Comment

• Brue
                  User without title
                  • Sep 29, 2005

i'll snap pics tomorrow -B

Comment

• jemboy2004
                    Persistent Member
                    • Aug 14, 2005

Brue and IMP my non bendable, non grey head WG has the very yellow necklace.

Comment

• imp
                      Mego Book Author
                      • Apr 20, 2003

Awesome. I'd love to get pics from both of you guys, if you don't mind. Shoot me an Email whenever time allows, and we'll work it out.

Any other Teen Titans or WGSH issues the book didn't cover? Anyone? If so, please create new threads so we can all discuss. Thanks!

Benjamin

Comment

• Brue
                        User without title
                        • Sep 29, 2005

ah - yeah - I forgot which it went with.

I have an older pic for reference
                        the opaque neclace went with the non bendy zombie head.

Comment

• imp
                          Mego Book Author
                          • Apr 20, 2003

ah - yeah - I forgot which it went with. I have an older pic for reference the opaque neclace went with the non bendy zombie head.
                          Exactly what I expected, given all of this information.

The chronology, then, would likely be:

Bendy-Arm WG issued on the 1st Version Titans card in 1977. Since the Titans are excluded from the following (1978) Mego product catalog, I'm guessing they were discontinued. But somewhere between February 1977 and February 1978, Mego produced another run of Titans figures, changing the copyrights on the blister cards and modifying Wondergirl's body, presumably to utilize the less-expensive materials (Non-Bendy Arms, cheaper body plastic and new, opaque yellow plastic).

I've always believed the opaque yellow plastic appeared LATER than that (at least on Batman, Robin, Batgirl, etc.), so it's possible Mego created the 2nd Version Titans later than Toy Fair 1978 in February, but opted to exclude them from the 1978 product offering.

Great stuff.

Benjamin

Comment

• Brue
                            User without title
                            • Sep 29, 2005

Pics sent - a dozen or more

here is one for everyone

Last edited by Brue; Feb 23, '08, 11:04 PM. Reason: i can't type

Comment

• jemboy2004
                              Persistent Member
                              • Aug 14, 2005

Here's my wondergirl pic. head still has good color. I think I used a little too much light. I need a lesson on how to take good pics of my toys.

Last edited by jemboy2004; Feb 24, '08, 3:20 AM. Reason: tried to fix the link

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎