Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to restart the WGSH line (without M/DC licenses)!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fumetti
    • Feb 12, 2008

How to restart the WGSH line (without M/DC licenses)!

It just struck me as I was reading a hot new comic series called Superpowers (by the great Alex Ross).

EMCE could revive the WGSH by starting off with golden age superheroes in the public domain!

Daredevil!
    Blue Beetle
    The Black Terror!
    Fighting Yank!
    The Green Lama!
    Pyroman!
    The Flame!
    Miss Masque!
    The Yellow Claw!

(EMCE could do worse than piggy-backing the immense popularity of Alex Ross.)

If it sold well, it might encourage Marvel and DC to grant a new license for Mego-style superheroes. It's an idea, anyway....
    Last edited by fumetti; Feb 18, '08, 1:40 AM.
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Can't use Daredevil or The Blue Beetle names, but other than that, its a good idea.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

Interesting but I think EMCE is sticking with anything that is tried and true from the Mego archives. I believe the public domain characters would be too risky at this stage because they want to continue building that successful momentum to get the attention of the big licenses like DC & Marvel. Once they are in, all of our dreams will come to fruition.

Comment

• fumetti
        • Feb 12, 2008

Originally posted by MIB41
        Interesting but I think EMCE is sticking with anything that is tried and true from the Mego archives. I believe the public domain characters would be too risky at this stage because they want to continue building that successful momentum to get the attention of the big licenses like DC & Marvel. Once they are in, all of our dreams will come to fruition.
        This thread is in response to a comment by DrMego that EMCE is looking at doing a project of their own (I forget the exact wording). So it's already out there that they want to go beyond the Mego archives.

I'm pretty sure EMCE would get more interest in public domain superheroes than, say, redoing the Dukes of Hazzard or Happy Days. Especially if they can get the product on the shelves before the Dynamite series "Superpowers" ends. They might even get Alex Ross to do the backing card. Now THAT would guarantee a lot of sales. Plenty of "I want everything by Alex Ross" fans out there.

Comment

• GreenLantern9999
          GL of Mego Sector
          • Oct 8, 2007

Plus I wouldn't call those the Worlds GREATEST Super Heroes.
          No body takes pot shots at Lubic! Good Journey

Comment

• AAAAA
            Permanent Member
            • Oct 28, 2005

What you want to do is create your own heros, find names that are not copyrighted (Harder than you think) and create a comic book & include it in with the figure.
            I talk to Paul about that last year, I sent him some Mock ups figures and some art work , He like idea.

Comment

• argent007
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 7, 2005

I think public domain heroes would sell better than new creations. Also, either would sell better than Happy Days and Dukes of Hazzard.
              My Updated Want List:
              Comic book original art
              1970s Hulk or Spider-man metal garbage can
              Custom Mego Nexus, Grendel

Have lots of comics and Marvel Legends figures for trades. Thanks!

Comment

• jds1911a1
                Alan Scott is the best GL
                • Aug 8, 2007

Dukes and Happy Days were HUGE shows in Mego's hayday so it was a smart License (most kids I knew had bo luke and Fonz alongside thier wgsh) but i never thought the CTVT decison to revive happy days was wise. It has a very niche fan base who aren't usually toy collectors. even more that argument for lucy and married w children.
                EMCE using star trek is smart. Doc hits several collector markets and a nostgalgia market at once. I suspect POTA was the same thinking. At this point I have accepted that we will never see him allowed to market marvel and DC and will be happy with his continued development of new ST figures. I just hope we see belly shirt kirk or mirror mirror spock and sulu.

Comment

• fumetti
                  • Feb 12, 2008

I'm not knocking the 70s line in any way. What they produced then was based on the toy buying interests of the time. Today is somewhat different. Those of us buying "Megos" today aren't kids but nostalgic adults. The biggest excitement of the EMCE Star Trek line isn't about Kirk, Spock, and Klingons but Chekov and Sulu, and the rarer Aliens. We have unresolved childhood issues!

And looking over the recent "wish lists," it appears that fans are getting excited about a possible Mego version of pretty much any established sci-fi/fantasy property. To me, that suggests that at the heart of most desires is a link back to a pre-existing established character.

This thread is a suggestion that addresses that want, while giving the WGSH fans some new purchases of their own.

Comment

• spamn
                    Minty and All-Original!
                    • Mar 28, 2002

I'd love these figures, but the general public's unfamiliarity with them probably limits their mass marketability.

Comment

• fumetti
                      • Feb 12, 2008

Originally posted by spamn
                      I'd love these figures, but the general public's unfamiliarity with them probably limits their mass marketability.
                      Are these new lines actually intended for mass markets? Isn't the production run small, like 3,000 or so?

Mego fans are the top demographic. And my guess is that they're predominantly older folks who had the originals as kids. And most of those seem to be superhero fans.

Piggy backed with a current hot creator and hot new title (particularly with an ADVERTISEMENT in Superpowers itself) would overcome a lot of that unfamiliarity.

Comment

• fumetti
                        • Feb 12, 2008

And there's the marketing strategy.

Advertise everywhere Superpowers is advertised, sold, or reviewed.

Key places:
                        Wizard magazine
                        Ads on popular comic book websites
                        Superpowers comic itself
                        Selling the figures through Amazon

Use the phrase "Golden Age" in the line's title and you'll get a lot of hits off search engines.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by spamn
                          These aren't made for the mass market, they target the comic shop and toy collector market.
                          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• spamn
                            Minty and All-Original!
                            • Mar 28, 2002

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                            These aren't made for the mass market, they target the comic shop and toy collector market.
                            Even so. Star Trek has a lot more fans than a bunch of heroes who were out of print before Mego made figures.

How many of us read these characters as a kid? No nostalgia factor, no fanbase. Seems like a reeeeeeeally small market that'd get these.

Getting Alex Ross package art could help, though. Hell, I'd buy 'em. There's a great book out there published in the last ten years called Terra Obscura that used a lot of them.

I doubt made-up heroes would be any better, for the same reason.

I'd think the way to go would be new properties in mego style rather than old ones.

But I'm no marketing type person, so whadda I know?

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎