• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bronxboykev
    Permanent Member
    • Mar 7, 2011

flesh tone paints for heads

Good afternoon all

I have not been thrilled with the colors of my flesh tone head paints. they look for the most part how can I say it pasty. I am looking for everyone's opinion on flesh tone colors for head paints. what do you use a single color a mix, Photos of the product would help immensely.

Thank you
    Last edited by Bronxboykev; Jun 18, '13, 1:35 PM.
  • ctc
    Fear the monkeybat!
    • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I use mostly hobby acrylics. If you get the ones for gaming minis they usually produce a number of flesh tones. If not exact matches, they're probably a good base for a personal mix.

For some quickie projects I've used Testor's enamel "wood" for a caucasian tone. It's a close match to the slightly darker white guy Mego bodies.

Don C.

Comment

• TomStrong
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 22, 2011

I feel the same way as bronxboykev. If you buy flesh tone acrylic its too pasty and mego and remego bodies are just much more tan.

Comment

• ctc
        Fear the monkeybat!
        • Aug 16, 2001

>If you buy flesh tone acrylic its too pasty and mego and remego bodies are just much more tan

Depends on the brand. The usual model kit stuff has a minimal selection, but the gaming paints have some good matches. For instance:

"Tannede hilights" is pretty close, and with a bit of mixing you can match any colour you need. (Which is good, 'cos there's often some colour difference between body maufacturers or product batches.)

Don C.

Comment

• TomStrong
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 22, 2011

Wow, thanks a bunch. They don't have a huge selection at hobby lobby. I'll have to try that.

Comment

• ctc
            Fear the monkeybat!
            • Aug 16, 2001

>They don't have a huge selection at hobby lobby.

The stuff you get at places like that is usually a little thin. It's definitely usable... I use it all the time, mostly through an airbrush. It's fragile though; you have to seal it almost as soon as it dries for some brands. And it's thin, requiring a few coats. THe gaming stuff is a bit thicker and has more bite, so it's really good for Mego stuff. There isn't a big dif between brands, other than availability and price. A lot of folks go for the Citadel stuff; doubtless 'cos it's easiest to find. I use Citadel, the Reaper stuff, Formula P3 and some really REALLY old Partha Paints. (Ral Partha's been out of business for.... I dunno, twenty years or so?) I also live two blocks away from a good gaming store....

Hobby shops will carry Testors, Humbrol and Tamiya acrylics. They're good too, but tend to be thin or of a weird viscocity and are trickier to use. (The Testor's Model Masters stuff looks great, but it's thin.... goes on almost like a heavy wash.) Testor's mat and gloss varnish (spray or brush on) is really good for protecting the final product.

Don C.

Comment

• TomStrong
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 22, 2011

I used ceramacoat and it worked pretty well. The lighter colors did need a few coats though. I'm anxious to try those you suggested on my next custom.

Comment

• megowgsh
                Customego HoF Curator
                • Nov 19, 2003

Testors Model Masters Skin Tone Warm Tint Acrylic David Lee turned me on to this years ago and it is all I use.

If you like the flesh tone on my customs then you need to buy this.
                Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• nobody
                  banjo!
                  • Jan 26, 2012

Originally posted by megowgsh
                  Testors Model Masters Skin Tone Warm Tint Acrylic David Lee turned me on to this years ago and it is all I use.

If you like the flesh tone on my customs then you need to buy this.
                  Where might one find this elusive paint?

Comment

• megowgsh
                    Customego HoF Curator
                    • Nov 19, 2003

^^^http://www.testors.com/products/136654

Comment

• Bronxboykev
                      Permanent Member
                      • Mar 7, 2011

Thank you everyone!!! Thank you Austin! I just orderd 3 off e bay for .30 a bottle cheaper )

Comment

• megowgsh
                        Customego HoF Curator
                        • Nov 19, 2003

excellent

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎