X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megocrazy
    Museum Trouble Maker
    • Feb 18, 2007

My Meet

Finally not comatose and have a chance to recap. As usual the panels were great, the exclusives were awesome and the customs were as well. Technology introduced itself this year and looks to be a major part in the future of custom figures. But for me, the Meet has really become more of a family reunion than an actual toy convention. When members you look forward to seeing don't show, you notice it. This year it was noticed. Chris, Derek, Paul, Bryan, Derek, Dave, Ron, John, James, and others couldn't make it for various reasons and they were missed. I'm fortunate to be able to talk with and/or see guys like Mike and Doc all the time so there's not really a lot of catching up to do since we converse fairly regularly. Roomed with Mike(batmanMC), but truthfully, I probably saw him less this weekend than I do the rest of the year since we live near each other. We're doing a road trip this weekend so it won't be long any way. Looking forward to LI.

There are many ties I've made at the Meet over the years. People you know you'd hang with all the time if the logistics weren't so distant. I know them strictly from the Mego community and if I ever thought that my Mom buying me a Spidey, Captain America, or AJ figure, back in 1973 was going to lead to meeting them I probably would have been far more grateful than other 7 year olds. Tom, Berto, Jimmy, Chad, Sean, Scott A, Steve, Scott P, Chris and Stacey, all reasons I'm happy to venture out to a place I probably never would have gone to once, if not for the Meet, to see you guys. It's the little stuff, the assembly line, sitting in Chad and Sean's room doing some custom stuff, the round table at Berto's table, late night conversations in the Suite, maybe they wouldn't be as special if they happened regularly, who knows, but they are simply pure enjoyment. The Meet has become so much more than just a toy convention or show. It's simply about the people you go there to see.

It's always good to see a new member show up and get involved and this year Rob (fleshbox) stepped right up and felt like he'd been there for years. I've seen posts in past years from members that showed up and were a little timid about interjecting in a conversation or coming into the Suite because they felt like they weren't invited. Rob dove right in and never looked back. Great guy, easy to talk to, and I don't question at all, that he'll be around for a while. Welcome aboard.

I'll end by saying, I've gotten some really sweet deals at the Meet, but the best thing I've ever gotten at the Meet was the friends I've made. There will be a bunch of posts from people saying they want to go, but don't. Life is short, if you plan it and arrange it, it can be done. Car pool, share a room, anything can be done to make it a little more affordable. If you want it, it can be done. The first year I went I drove in and roomed with Johnny and I had never met him before the day I picked him up. There's 51 weeks to go until 2014. Don't even think about the actual spending money, sometimes the best things are free. You see tons of random acts of kindness on this board, more than any other forum that I've seen. It doesn't even cover the ones that happen unbeknownst to the majority of the MM community. The only thing I regretted after my first Meet, was that I wasn't able to make it to Mego-Con the year or two, before that. When you go, introduce yourself and become a part of the conversation. You'll get out of the Meet what you put into it. When you put faces with the names the Museum becomes a completely different place, it just becomes so much more, and just gets better from there. Love you guys, see you in 51 weeks, some sooner. C--
    It's not a doll it's an action figure.
  • David Lee
    The Fix-it-up Chappie
    • Jun 10, 2002

When you put faces with the names the Museum becomes a completely different place, it just becomes so much more, and just gets better from there. Love you guys, see you in 51 weeks, some sooner. C--
    Damn you Chuck, ya gonna make me cry...

Comment

• Toyman_Chris
      70's Era Pimp
      • Sep 7, 2011

Amen Chuck. Miss ya already.

Comment

• VintageMike
        Permanent Member
        • Dec 16, 2004

You really summed it up nicely, Chuck. Always a pleasure!

Comment

• ScottA
          Original Member
          • Jun 25, 2001

Much love dude.
          sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• megojim
            Permanent Member
            • Oct 13, 2001

You know where we stand Chuck. No one has a bigger heart than you. It's a privilege to call you a friend.
            My Custom Figures

1 Corinthians 9:24 - Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win!

Comment

• noelani72
              27inaleon
              • Jun 25, 2002

ditto ditto ditto brother.

Comment

• RobTMego
                Career Member
                • Mar 15, 2013

"It's always good to see a new member show up and get involved and this year Rob (fleshbox) stepped right up and felt like he'd been there for years. I've seen posts in past years from members that showed up and were a little timid about interjecting in a conversation or coming into the Suite because they felt like they weren't invited. Rob dove right in and never looked back. Great guy, easy to talk to, and I don't question at all, that he'll be around for a while. Welcome aboard."

Yes, I got so much more out MM than just expanding my collection. I feel I found some long lost like minded Brothers and Sisters "Priceless and the best collection of all"

I can tell from going to other music-cons and Sci-fi-cons most people are not what they seem from boards or blogs, when or if you meet them at all. But MM people are class (well mostly, except when a good joke is involved and have huge hearts. when you speak to them they don't glaze over or act like they are rulers of the content I like and came for in the first place.

Everyone was so open and honest at MM, I felt so honored for people to share their stories, their talents and expertize. Yes, I will be around for years, cause I am now addicted to MM.

Rob

Comment

• Brue
                  User without title
                  • Sep 29, 2005

Good to see you again Chuck -til next year...

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎