X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Mego Meet Observations and Thanks

Just a few things I took away from the weekend.

I’m getting old.

Used to be that I could drive that whole way in one chunk, stay up all night and be fine, but now, baby needs his sleep. If it weren't for Ed keeping me company during that long stretch of the 79, I’d likely be in a ditch right now.

However, as a bonus, there was no hangover for me this weekend.

I did miss people

Life gets in the way, I understand that. Mego Meet is not only a toy show but a reunion. I've grown fond of a lot of you folks and missed your energy. However, that’s not to say I didn't enjoy the new folks I met or the familiar faces I did see. It’s just a compliment that this show is a bit of a bonding experience.

Enjoyed all the new faces

It was really great to meet Scott, Rob, Nathan and his wife for the first time. I’m sure I’m forgetting somebody.

Great to see all the familiar faces:

It was enlightening to see Berto, Tom, Steve, John, Scott(s), Mike(s), Dave(s), Jim, Chad, Paul(s), Chris(s), Chuck, Andrew, the Comicazi gang, Corey, Amy, Trappy, Lee, Rudy, the Houghs, the entire Acroray clan and again, I’m sure I’m forgetting somebody, no malice, just a fuzzy memory right now.

The family aspect:

Seeing everybody's kids playing together made me miss my own, I thought it was kind of special.

Let’s do lunch

On both days, Ed wrangled a group together and we went and ate grown up food somewhere. Both times resulted in a lot of laughs and I wish I had been doing this all along.

It’s not about the stuff

Seriously, I did grab some fun stuff but it’s secondary to the show itself. I come for the toys, stay for the goodwill.

I heart the Hampton

When i walked in, the (polite) man behind the counter made eye contact and had me checked in under a minute. I spent the next two hours laying on my bed watching hulu, I was seriously considering skipping the mego suite and building a little fort instead.

Thanks to:

Steve Moore and everyone who pitched in to make this a trouble free experience. I seriously did nothing this weekend by way of helping.

Scott A for making the exclusive this year and really knocking it out of the park. Loved it and if you haven't grabbed one, you should.

All the customizers who donated their art and made the auction a success, seriously appreciate the kindness.

Chad, Austin, Paul and Dave for hosting great seminars.

The good (and most likely stoned) people at the Wheeling Papa Johns, for delivering not only my pizza but an anecdote.

That gas station cheeseburger for not killing me.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • Random Axe
    The Voice of Reason
    • Apr 16, 2008

You should probably send a thank you card to the cheeseburger. You dodged a bullet Matrix style on that one.
    I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• palitoy
      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Random Axe
      You should probably send a thank you card to the cheeseburger. You dodged a bullet Matrix style on that one.
      It's possible it's still in me, waiting to strike.

Comment

• HumanWolfman
        Type3Toys Has Transformed
        • Oct 5, 2011

I actually DID skip the mego suite and build a fort!
        View My Customs
        www.type3toys.com
        or check here
        http://megomuseum.com/community/memb...5-HumanWolfman

Comment

• B-Lister
          Eccentric Weirdo
          • Mar 19, 2010

I regret that we only get to chat in snippets, Palitoy. I truly love your stories.
          Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• megoapesnut
            The name says it all!
            • Dec 3, 2007

I was disappointed that I missed saying hello to you this weekend, Brian. One of these years I am going to get in a full meet. I guess if I stopped riding my motorcycle there (for the 7 hour trip) I would be vertical long enough to enjoy the entire experience. I REALLY enjoy that ride, it just takes too much out of me, and like you said, I am getting to old for it, I guess. On the flip side, I am planning on bringing my camera and stopping to take photos along the way next year. I saw a lot of stuff that would make great additions to my "Decrepit America" themed photo essay. (Everybody here gets a free copy of that when it's done, by the way - at least those that want one)

Comment

• David Lee
              The Fix-it-up Chappie
              • Jun 10, 2002

Man you got the best stories I have ever heard, thanks for imparting them willingly... I see your future as the dawdling king in the Princess Bride... "she kissed me!"

Comment

• Chris
                Persistent Member
                • Dec 23, 2009

Did you record a Mego Museum podcast while you were down there? I apologize in advance for sounding like a broken record.
                If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• alex
                  Permanent Member
                  • Jun 15, 2009

Man, if I was there, wed be up till 4 in the morning, drinking vodka, and talking about the meaning of life

Comment

• VintageMike
                    Permanent Member
                    • Dec 16, 2004

Always great chatting with you Brian. One the most fun conversations I had over the weekend was some "behind the scenes" items with you and Chuck. Glad I could pass on the praise your book received from folks I know.

Comment

• palitoy
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by HumanWolfman
                      I actually DID skip the mego suite and build a fort!
                      I knew that was a good plan.

Originally posted by B-Lister
                      I regret that we only get to chat in snippets, Palitoy. I truly love your stories.
                      Thank you, it was nice talking to you when we did.

Originally posted by megoapesnut
                      I was disappointed that I missed saying hello to you this weekend, Brian.
                      Yeah, I was kinda hoping you'd cruise in before i left. Next time.

Originally posted by David Lee
                      I see your future as the dawdling king in the Princess Bride... "she kissed me!"
                      That is the dream sir.

Originally posted by Chris
                      Did you record a Mego Museum podcast while you were down there? I apologize in advance for sounding like a broken record.
                      That was a good idea, can you send it to me last week?

Originally posted by alex
                      Man, if I was there, wed be up till 4 in the morning, drinking vodka, and talking about the meaning of life
                      I know Vodka is what friends drink in Poland but if I was drinking it, the only conversation I would be having would be with God from a toilet bowl, sir.

Originally posted by VintageMike
                      Always great chatting with you Brian. One the most fun conversations I had over the weekend was some "behind the scenes" items with you and Chuck. Glad I could pass on the praise your book received from folks I know.
                      It was fun chatting with you Mike!

Comment

• megojim
                        Permanent Member
                        • Oct 13, 2001

Well said, good to see you brian.
                        My Custom Figures

1 Corinthians 9:24 - Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win!

Comment

• ScottA
                          Original Member
                          • Jun 25, 2001

Always a joy B. And thanks for the tips.
                          sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Toyman_Chris
                            70's Era Pimp
                            • Sep 7, 2011

It was great seeing you this year. Nice we had a chance to chat a bit. Looking forward to next year!

Comment

• B-Lister
                              Eccentric Weirdo
                              • Mar 19, 2010

Hey, it's all good Brian. The Meet is a place to catch up with everybody and everybody wants to catch up.

I spent a good chunk of time chatting with AcroRay on Saturday and feel like we only scratched the surface.

I feel like I only got a few words with Random Axe and he was one of the people I spoke to most!
                              Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎