Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My wonderful weekend (kinda long, sorry)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Random Axe
    The Voice of Reason
    • Apr 16, 2008

My wonderful weekend (kinda long, sorry)

Okay, I was going to take a day or two to gather thoughts and recover, but I feel like I’ll lose some details so I’ll go ahead and write down some things in as much detail as I can. To bottom line it before I begin, it was a great weekend full of friends and figures. It was decidedly lighter than in previous years as attendance was down.

Wednesday – So, I arrive in Wheeling around 4pm and end up paying way more than last year, which was way more than the year before that. The Super8, while functional and closer to the Meet itself, has priced itself out of my future. There was, however, some light reading provided for me in the bedside nightstand in the form of Bhagvad Gita, the Hari Krishna Bible.

Thursday – I meet EMCE Steve at the Museum and set up tables, which proved to be a lot harder than just lugging those things around. Our provided table list was…well, let’s call it incomplete. We had a few people left off and nearly left out without some last second scrambling on Saturday morning. I ended up at the Suite that night and truly saw what I was missing by not staying at the Hampton. We went to Bob Evans for dinner where Austin scared the crap out of a bunch of senior citizens.

Friday – We arrived early and helped the guys set up and tried to coordinate things. Throughout the day we had wave after wave of attendees and friends making it in. Steve and I went to lunch at TJ’s Sports Bar with Brian Heiler and Ed, which was probably the best meal of the weekend. Then it was back to the Museum and more set up and carrying of tubs inside. Pizza was delivered and consumed.

Saturday – Lots of rubbing elbows with Megoheads, commerce, some informative and surprising lectures and announcements and a couple of surprises. I’ll let someone else spoil the surprises if they choose, it’s not my place. Dinner at Bella Via where we were treated to meatballs, Wonder Bread and ice water. All for a low, low price.

Sunday – Drive

I’d like to individually acknowledge some people and one particular act of kindness and brotherhood.

Berto – I cannot begin this section without first mentioning what he did for me. A few months ago we were PM’ing back and forth about George Perez and his appearance in NY. He told me he was going to get a sketch form him and which one he should get and which one I would like if I were there. I told him my wish and never thought about it again. Friday, he shows up and presents me with an official George Perez convention sketch of Shazam. I was floored and humbled and I still don’t really know what to say to adequately express my gratitude. Many here know of the hardships of my wife and now my father. He said I deserved it because of all the things I go through in taking care of her. I’m not captain emotional here, but to have someone like Mr. Ligotti actually stand in line and do that for me is truly and honor I’m not certain I deserve and kinda chokes me up a bit. Add to this the gift Chris Franklin and MIB Tom were able to send me this past Feb, and I have truly found the greatest website, forum, friends and people on the planet. Much love for you Berto and much thanks.

Steve Moore – He was a great host and organizer for the event, no doubts. His tireless efforts to make this go smoothly were appreciated by all. I thoroughly enjoy hanging out with someone who matches my own sarcasm. Nothing successful happened this weekend that didn’t have his fingerprints on it.

The Canadian Connection – Brian and Ed are always entertaining and great to be around. Samnoir is the most positive person I’ve ever met at the Meet and it’s always a pleasure talking to you. I’ll have something pretty darn cool(hopefully) to send your way soon, shoot me your address.

David Lee – Your passion for the hobby and genuine likeability are both off the charts. I know this new venture is going to be huge and, I’m looking forward to seeing things develop.

Bronxboy and family – It was a bittersweet trip for you, and I’m thankful you were able to attend. I’m honored you and your daughter liked the figure and I’ve got some cool plans for the next one.

Megoknight Lee – You are a great addition to the MM family and you’ve got a lot of talent for customizing. You skills and vision were obvious during the contest and I look forward to seeing your next projects after the Hefty bag full of parts you bought.

Chad and Sean – It’s always terrific to have two generations of Megoheads attend each year, especially those with the talents you both have. I can’t believe “the boy” is now a graduate. When he first came with you he was twelve. As if I needed anything else to make me feel older…

Crimsonghost – I’m Andy’s Mini-Me, he’s like a foot taller but much better looking. It’s scary how much background we have in common. It was great to see and talk to you again this year.

ScottA – You really pulled off the exclusive this year big time. I am proud to own one and look forward to the next. I might be able to help with the project we talked about, PM me sometime to discuss.

Jimmy – It was nice to have the Suite in your hotel. It was very clean and accommodating. Your work never fails to impress and your dedication to this community is never in question. You’re a true Mego brother.

Chuckles – It wouldn’t be a Meet without you bro. You are as true and genuine as it gets, and I can’t wait to see these new shirts you’re going to make.

Austin and Kyle – It’s refreshing to see you back to work and doing something you love. It was also cool to see how you work and the processes involved. You do phenomenal work. Stay metal WOOOT!

VIntagemike - Always like talking classic wrestling, comics, movies, and all with the same guy.

My brain just hit a wall, that’s about all I can think of right now. If you’ve made it down this far you know how wonderful the people are on this form and within this community. I don’t really have a family outside of my wife and parents, so I hope you don’t mind if I've adopted you guys and gals as a surrogate family. Actually you don’t have a choice, it’s too late. Thank you all for a weekend to remember. Next time, with my wife’s prognosis much improved, she will be coming with me to see what I experience each first weekend of June…the greatest group of people I’ve even been involved with and true family and friends. I cannot thank each of you enough.
    I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.
  • B-Lister
    Eccentric Weirdo
    • Mar 19, 2010

Scott, the Krishnas have a HUGE temple in Wheeling.....the Palace of Gold. It is pretty impressive actually. But to be honest, they don't have a large presence in the area. I haven't encountered them in years.
    Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• VintageMike
      Permanent Member
      • Dec 16, 2004

Always a pleasure Scott. I echo your sentiments and was glad I could have your awesome Bizarro join the LOD figures in my collection.

Comment

• megojim
        Permanent Member
        • Oct 13, 2001

Proud to know ya, good times!
        My Custom Figures

1 Corinthians 9:24 - Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win!

Comment

• Toyman_Chris
          70's Era Pimp
          • Sep 7, 2011

Nice recap Scott! It was great seeing you!

Comment

• B-Lister
            Eccentric Weirdo
            • Mar 19, 2010

Very good Seeing Scott. He and I hit it off during my first meet and he is always the first guy I gotta see when I get there.

He's a great guy and I am happy to read what Berto did for ya bro. You deserve it!

I would LOVE to see the sketch.

Sorry to hear your woes continue. I was pretty down last year, but this year has been better. I only hope brighter days are ahead for you, my friend.
            Last edited by B-Lister; Jun 9, '13, 8:50 PM.
            Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

Nice recap, I was really hoping to finally make it there this year, but the new job kind of screwed up those plans for me. Totally agree that Ed/Samnoir is always bubbling with positive vibes (although today the poor guy seemed really tired when I caught up with him and Brian on their way back home). I got to somewhat relive the meet vicariously through them at least.

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
                Formerly known as Del
                • Dec 12, 2004

I have to echo that it was great meeting MegoKnight. He was nice enough to share his paints with me, even when I started dipping the edge of a Doc Mego axe in red for Mike(Batmanmc)'s Lumberjack Joker.
                I took some pics, but only had the chance to upload them to Facebook. If you see yourself in any of the pictures, feel free to tag yourself if I haven't. https://m.facebook.com/amy.hill220?i...624244344&_rdr
                I'll post the pics on the Museum later.
                Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
                https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
                http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• Bronxboykev
                  Permanent Member
                  • Mar 7, 2011

Scott... Where to even begin... To say you are good people is an understatement... You and the people like you Scott A, Austin, Doc, Berto... I cant even begin to list everyone else... are what makes this Community and this event so special and a must every year. The weekend almost seems to disappear in a blurr and before you know it your on your way back home Sunday longing for just another minute, hour, day!!! Glad... NO... Honored to call you Family! Keep in touch even if it's to just say hey what's up. Blessings to you, your Wife, and parents. Not enough good things can be Said about you my friend! till 2014

Comment

• noelani72
                    27inaleon
                    • Jun 25, 2002

great time Scott as usual! Sean's haul had some goodness in it that you're quite familiar with! lol
                    We almost need a bigger venue and one more day added to the trip.

Comment

• megoapesnut
                      The name says it all!
                      • Dec 3, 2007

Dang, I missed saying hello to you Scott, which was my fault. I didn't get into Wheeling until 6pm Saturday. I popped into the suite a couple times looking for you and ended up falling a sleep early after the long ride. I did get to chat with a couple MM'ers and also Steve very briefly. All of my vacation days were booked this year so I couldn't get down on Friday and got a late start Saturday. Gotta be a little more organized next year. Take care and I hope things start getting better for you.

Comment

• RobTMego
                        Career Member
                        • Mar 15, 2013

Yes!!!, I echo alot of what Scott said,
                        As a newbie to the forum and to the meet, I did not know what to expect (was afraid I would just be standing around with nothing to do, with my thumb up my @!#$). But feel after the weekend I have found some like minded lost brother and sisters. Everyone was so cool and nice, I never felt like an outsider for one minute

FYI, I believe Steve may be a saint for not throwing us out of the suite, when he needed to sleep (I can not say enough about him as a person for what he does for all of us, not only about the meet, but just day to day Museum work and up keep)

The presentation were great and I have alot of information to help me along the way now. but not only that but other members gave me tips and tricks that will be invaluable for me just starting out with customs.

Now for the biggest problem, were do I display or store all the amazing things I bought originals and customs, LOL. I also have to get my butt to sculpting and customizing so I will have something for the next meet!!

Rob Turner

Comment

• megocrazy
                          Museum Trouble Maker
                          • Feb 18, 2007

Scott, you are one of the people that make the Meet what it is and one I always look forward to seeing. Over the years, the Meet has shown me that the community is far spread and seeing some only once a year is not enough.
                          It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                            Moderation Engineer
                            • Aug 14, 2003

You're a good man, Charlie Brown Pierce. It was great to see you.

Comment

• palitoy
                              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                              • Jun 16, 2001

Thanks for everything Scott, it was terrific to actually sit down and do lunch with you this year. Long overdue.
                              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎