PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody else feel old?

DaBillmann
Jun 9, '13, 12:55 PM
I loved my megos. I am so completely stoked, jazzed, excited, etc that they are releasing these Mego Batman figures, as Batman is my absolute favorite. I am hoping they will eventually do vehicles and playsets too. (Groan, my poor budget)

Buuuuut, I sent a link to an ad for the first wave to an online friend of mine who is in her mid twenties. (I am 47) and you want to knwo what she said to me?

"Wow, pretty cool. They remind me of the figures on Robot Chicken."

she had never HEARD of megos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am old. So old!

powersthatbe
Jun 9, '13, 7:17 PM
eh,i'm 44 in august.but you know what?all the characters we wanted when we were kids in the 70s.has pretty much been made into toy form one way or another.for instance.i'm thrilled to have the lost in space robot and jupiter 2,ultraman figures and many versions of the mach five,etc.and all these remegos are the cream of the crop :)

Saroyan
Jun 10, '13, 8:35 AM
It happens to the best of us!

It can be frustrating when I reference something from the 70s or 80s and get a blank look from someone too young to know the reference- but what're you gonna do? Just roll with it and know that our age and experience put us in the era with some of the best toys EVER!

But, if it makes you feel any better, next time that happens, curse the ignoramous with:

"One day you will be OLD and YOU will reference something from YOUR youth to a younger person who will then give YOU the same look and eye roll you just gave ME!"

That will get 'em!

Gorn Captain
Jun 10, '13, 9:45 AM
Kids watching a 70s movie and saying "why didn't he use his cell phone?!"
That makes me feel old....

Or a year or two back, that girl complaining that Lon Chaney's Wolfman was a rip-off from Twilight.
That just makes her look stupid, true...

They had 15-16 year old kids in the UK answer some history questions. 25% thought that Hitler was a soccer player. Yeah, that man sure knew how to score...

ctc
Jun 10, '13, 10:50 AM
Hmmmm....

I don't think of it as getting old; I think of it as getting closer to death.

Don C.

MIB41
Jun 10, '13, 11:18 AM
What makes me feel old is walking into a comicbook store that I visited frequently in my teens (I'm 48 now) and seeing used LP's priced the same as when they were new back then. Now if THAT doesn't knock you on the head nothing will. :smiley1:

HardyGirl
Jun 10, '13, 11:31 AM
Kids watching a 70s movie and saying "why didn't he use his cell phone?!"
That makes me feel old....

I know, I really hate that. But what I hate worse is that the parents of these kids obviously don't talk to them about when they were kids, and sharing the history. As a child, I knew there was no such thing as TV when my mom was a kid, and that they had to use an "icebox" instead of a fridge. My mom actually talked to me, and I loved hearing about her life back then.

Jason73
Jun 10, '13, 1:35 PM
When I turned 12 I was worried that I was getting too old to collect action figures. Within a year I stoppped until I turned about 22. Then I picked right back up.

This summer I'll be turning 40. I have a smilar feeling to when I turned 12. Am I once again too old to collect figures? Not sure why I'm feeling this way, but I'm hoping it will pass, becuase I don't want to take 10 years off again.

Saroyan
Jun 10, '13, 2:37 PM
Jason73- if the feeling doesn't pass, pack up your toys and put them in storage for at least a year maybe 2- it will be much cheaper in the long run to pay for a storage unit than to try to re-buy all the toys you got rid of while you weren't feeling it!

BATMAN89
Jun 10, '13, 3:07 PM
Hmmmm....

Don C.

Hahahahaha!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

DaBillmann
Jun 10, '13, 3:59 PM
I know, I really hate that. But what I hate worse is that the parents of these kids obviously don't talk to them about when they were kids, and sharing the history. As a child, I knew there was no such thing as TV when my mom was a kid, and that they had to use an "icebox" instead of a fridge. My mom actually talked to me, and I loved hearing about her life back then.

My Dad used to tell me "Yeah, I used ti sit around and say "man, I wish they'd hurry up and invent the television." LOL

DaBillmann
Jun 10, '13, 4:00 PM
Hmmmm....

Don C.

IIIIII think i'd rather think of it as getting old.

JediJaida
Jun 10, '13, 4:42 PM
Tell me about it!

When I was a kid, we didn't have all the fancy doo-dads that kids have today.

8 track cartridge tapes.

LP's and turntables.

Transistor radios.

Reel to reel tape recorders.

There were no VCR's or VHS tapes; no way to record your favorite shows except on reel to reel audio tape; what was shown on TV was IT! You had to wait WEEKS to see if your favorite movie was going to be broadcast.

During weekends at Grandma's you had to listen to all of the old stories from when she was a little girl, or when your parents were children, etc. You had to dress nice, sit still, eat what you were given, and generally behave like a little doll or puppet for the entire day.

Kids today, when they go to Grandma's house, they do it in jeans, sneakers, t-shirts, leggings, tank tops, sweats, and shorts; with their hair barely combed and just a layer of deodorant. They eat out of the fridge as they please, and blow off Grandma's stories, saying that they have to call their friends or meet them later on at the mall.

Mego Magyar
Jun 10, '13, 5:10 PM

Same with my mother. Even to this day I call it the icebox because that's what I heard growing up.

huedell
Jun 12, '13, 3:13 PM
I loved my megos. I am so completely stoked, jazzed, excited, etc that they are releasing these Mego Batman figures, as Batman is my absolute favorite. I am hoping they will eventually do vehicles and playsets too. (Groan, my poor budget)

Buuuuut, I sent a link to an ad for the first wave to an online friend of mine who is in her mid twenties. (I am 47) and you want to knwo what she said to me?

"Wow, pretty cool. They remind me of the figures on Robot Chicken."

she had never HEARD of megos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am old. So old!

It's worse for me to think about that indeed, those ARE the Megos we had as kids on Robot Chicken (or something close to them) and that while the RC guys are making money playing with toys... making money off of audiences that include your mid-twenties friend and millions of others of all ages... while I... currently... am not.

Money/chicks always trumps age issues in my book.

alex
Jun 12, '13, 3:25 PM
I still remember having a sony betemax video recorder with a 6m cable connected to it as a remote control, and used to go to partys with mix tapes in my back pocket.:smiley1:

Captain Awesome
Jun 12, '13, 11:08 PM
I'll be 46 at the end of July. I feel old EVERY time I roll outta the bed. Now, having said that, I really feel old when I listen to "classic rock" staions and sit there and remember when the songs were new...

Bionicfanboy66
Jun 13, '13, 2:18 AM
Or when TV/movie personalities you grew up with start dying off(ie John Ritter, Farrah Fawcett, 'Epstein', 'Horshack', etc.) Or when you find toys or electronics you had has a kid/teen being sold as antiques.

Starroid Raiders Dagon
Jun 13, '13, 2:56 AM
I am pretty lucky that I grew up in the same home as my grandparents so I can relate and remember a lot of "old" things. I am 42 and I love it when I can remember the Freddy Fender tunes, Slim Whitman or Burl Ives. I remembered more of "Counting Flowers on The Wall" by the Statler Brothers than my co-workers in their 50s and 60s. I'm a little proud of that :grin:. I was quizing them on Ironside, Barnaby Jones, and Cannon this morning. Not detailed stuff just the stars, but I love that we can talk about that stuff.
It definitely hits you when you old favorites start to pass on. Lost Patrick Mcgoohan and Ricardo Montalban around the same time. Great to have the memories!
I do find it a little hard when I realize my youngest co-worker wasn't alive during the start of the "grunge" era, or he would have no idea who the Misfits, or Black Flag are. But, at the same time, I don't and haven't followed current music "hits" in years, so he could drop lots of names and I would have no idea who they are. My eight year old niece had to tell me who C-Lo Brown was.

huedell
Jun 13, '13, 7:46 AM
... I remembered more of "Counting Flowers on The Wall" by the Statler Brothers than my co-workers in their 50s and 60s...
If you're a Tarantino/Pulp Fiction fan, that song's appearance in a PF scene must've been a nice treat back in '94.

Gorn Captain
Jun 13, '13, 8:21 AM

I showed my niece an old phone with a dial (instead of buttons to push), and she didn't know how to work it.

Back when I was young, my parents and I always participated in phone quizes. They asked you "who sang this song?" and the first one to call in won a record or something. In those prehistoric days....you actually had to KNOW the answer...instead of googling it....

Gorn Captain
Jun 13, '13, 8:26 AM
When I was a kid (before VHS tapes!), I used to audio tape movies from the TV (with just a microphone next to it), and then listen to the tape as a kind of radio audio play, recalling the images that went with the sound.
I still have a tape of Pal's War of the Worlds.

pmjlghrs
Jun 13, '13, 9:50 AM
I just finished "reading" the audiobooks of the original Ian Fleming James Bond novels (what else to do on the 1 1/2 hour one-way commute). It's been years since I originally read them back in high school. Sooooo many things have changed. Like stopping to call the authorities. Like Fleming's attitudes toward minorities and women. Like the chain smoking and excessive drinking. I have never consumed tobacco of any sort nor have a racist or chauvinist bone in my body, but to go back and observe those attitudes so prevelant in others' attitudes and speech from my youth is a major culture shock.

HardyGirl
Jun 13, '13, 12:13 PM
I did that when the movie "The Wiz" came on TV. My mom was asleep 'cos she worked swing shift at the hospital, so it was nice and quiet. Put my little Panasonic Take 'n' Tape in front of the TV on a tall stool so the mike would be close to the TV speaker. I still have the tape somewhere.

When I was a kid (before VHS tapes!), I used to audio tape movies from the TV (with just a microphone next to it), and then listen to the tape as a kind of radio audio play, recalling the images that went with the sound.

garfoot
Jun 13, '13, 6:16 PM
If you're old enough to have eaten a cereal that contained the word "SUGAR" in the title then you're old like me. 6287

DaBillmann
Jun 13, '13, 8:05 PM
If you're old enough to have eaten a cereal that contained the word "SUGAR" in the title then you're old like me. 6287

Guilty

rykerw1701
Jun 14, '13, 8:48 AM
Does anyone remember books called "Fotonovels" or "Photonovels?". These were basically stills from a movie or tv episode put in sequential order and layed out like a comic book complete with the speaking balloons. It was the only way to "watch" a show on demand as there was no VHS yet. And the I did the cassette tape thing, too. You combined that with the Fotonovel and you were in geek heaven.

palitoy
Jun 14, '13, 8:50 AM
Does anyone remember books called "Fotonovels" or "Photonovels?". These were basically stills from a movie or tv episode put in sequential order and layed out like a comic book complete with the speaking balloons. It was the only way to "watch" a show on demand as there was no VHS yet. And the I did the cassette tape thing, too. You combined that with the Fotonovel and you were in geek heaven.

I found "Trouble with the Tribbles" the other day at a used bookstore and was immediately whisked back to a camping trip as a kid.

I was happy to notice my son stole it and read it cover to cover.

EMCE Hammer
Jun 14, '13, 10:37 AM
My son has the boxed set of the Hardy Boys run, and I am looking to get him into the Three Investigators. "What's 'spelunking' dad?"

Gorn Captain
Jun 14, '13, 11:05 AM
I still have some of those Star Trek photonovels.
It was a fun way to really study all the details.

Mego MkIV
Jun 14, '13, 2:59 PM
I'm only 41 I don't feel old but people can make you feel old some times. Try telling someone you remember seeing Star Wars in the theaters.(The Original not the altered 1990s ones.)

DaBillmann
Jun 14, '13, 3:16 PM

Lord, I had several Star trek ones, the Battlestar Galactica movie, Rocky and Rocky two, and believe it or not, the pilot episode of Mork and Mindy. and I never thought to tape record an episode and lsiten while reading. LOL

DaBillmann
Jun 14, '13, 3:16 PM
I'm only 41 I don't feel old but people can make you feel old some times. Try telling someone you remember seeing Star Wars in the theaters.(The Original not the altered 1990s ones.)

And telling them "i saw it BEFORE they added "Episode Four: A New Hope" to the credits!"

Which I BELIEVE was done sometiem before Empire Strikes Back came out

JediJaida
Jun 14, '13, 3:42 PM
I remember when I was around nine years old, there was a HUGE Disney film festival here in NY, somewhere on the West Side. The lines stretched around the block, there were so many people that wanted to see them. This was in 1974, waaaaaay before the VCR became available for home use. They showed just about everything that had been made, and put away in the vault for DECADES!!!

There were so many people on the line, that you couldn't always get to see the movie you wanted, and the weekends were worst! They were sold out within minutes.

Nowadays, you don't have that. With all of the multiplexes in cities now, that problem is avoided.

I tell this to some of my younger relatives, and while it's amusing to see their eyes pop out of their heads, I want to do a facepalm when they ask: Why didn't you just get it on video? And I had just finished telling them that there WEREN'T any to be had in the first place.

Not only do I feel old, I also feel that these kids are pretty spoiled and not altogether too bright.

powersthatbe
Jun 14, '13, 9:03 PM
i did the tape thing too,for the monkees mainly.i would've loved as a kid to be able to watch cartoons after dinner in the evening.sad today everything is instant gratification,i'm not a parent,but i can't imagine kids today ever saying "we're bored!"I remember the first video arcade game "pong".movies staying in theaters for well over a year.a good thing these days like with cell phones you can always get in quick contact with your kids,in our day we just gave our word we would be back at whatever time or such if we went out.

DaBillmann
Jun 14, '13, 9:45 PM
i did the tape thing too,for the monkees mainly.i would've loved as a kid to be able to watch cartoons after dinner in the evening.sad today everything is instant gratification,i'm not a parent,but i can't imagine kids today ever saying "we're bored!"I remember the first video arcade game "pong".movies staying in theaters for well over a year.a good thing these days like with cell phones you can always get in quick contact with your kids,in our day we just gave our word we would be back at whatever time or such if we went out.

Yes, and we were actually PUNISHED if we stayed out too late. I work at a middle school and it really seems there is no discipline these days.

Mego MkIV
Jun 15, '13, 6:45 AM
And telling them "i saw it BEFORE they added "Episode Four: A New Hope" to the credits!"

Which I BELIEVE was done sometiem before Empire Strikes Back came out
I always wondered when they started calling Star Wars Episode Four A New Hope because I certainly don't remember that from the 4 times I saw it in the 1970s.

Captain Awesome
Jun 15, '13, 9:05 AM
I saw Star Wars 10 times at the theatre on its original run. The first time I saw it was for my birthday in July of 1977. I was 10 years old and had a choice to either see Star Wars or The Shootist (John Wayne's last film). Wound up seeing all 3 of the Star Wars films at the movie theatres on their original runs. Plus seeing them again year's later with my 2 boys when they did the special editions at the theatres.
The first time I remember going to a movie theatre was about '71 or '72. I was 4 or 5 yrs old and saw a Disney movie if I'm not mistaken. Don't remember which one it was. Just remember it was animated. Speaking of Disney, who remembers Song of the South? Loved that movie as a kid and my grandmother used to read me the picture books and do the accents as well.

DaBillmann
Jun 15, '13, 11:49 AM
I always wondered when they started calling Star Wars Episode Four A New Hope because I certainly don't remember that from the 4 times I saw it in the 1970s.

It was definately before Empire came out. I believe, that while Lucas always HAD the prequals in mind, he waited for the movie to be a success before announvcing "This is chapter four, BTW".

pmjlghrs
Jun 17, '13, 1:45 PM
Go back an pull out the Time magazine article (I'll see if I can find it) that was about Empire just before it came out in 1980. There was a little insert article in the main article that talked about the number of "surprises" in Empire. They had a picture of the opening title with Episode V in it. They said that was the first surprise and then went on to talk about Lucas's plan to go through VI and then go back and do I-III, and then do VII-IX. The only characters running through all nine films would be C-3PO and R2-D2.

galaxyexplorer42
Jun 18, '13, 7:17 PM
I was born in 1967. So I'm....like.... 13 or 14 now... I don't know what the hell you old guys are talking about... I'm gonna go play with Megos right now....

JediJaida
Jun 19, '13, 6:50 PM
Okay, I'm two years older than you, so that makes me 16. Wanna come to my house and mix Megos and Legos?

DaBillmann
Jun 19, '13, 10:51 PM
Okay, I'm two years older than you, so that makes me 16. Wanna come to my house and mix Megos and Legos?

I am very confused. I was born in 1966 and I am 25, so how am I older than someone born a year before I was?

Mego Magyar
Jun 20, '13, 6:02 AM
I remember doing that too. I used a small tv that had an earphone jack so I could wire into that and then I didn't have to be quiet in the room. I still have a few of those recordings including the original ABC broadcast airing of Superman The Movie & Superman 2 - both with ALL the extra footage.

I loved those and still have all the tv Trek ones plus Battlestar Galactica, Incerdible Hulk & Buck Rogers.

HardyGirl
Jun 20, '13, 11:15 AM
I remember those Jaida. It was the "Disney Summer Hit Parade". I remember the promos on TV for that:

"Summer time is Disney, summer time is fun! Here's the Summer Hit Parade!" (I keep trying to find that on YouTube).

My mom and I went darn near every weekend. And she didn't wanna pay for movie theatre food, so we always used to sneak in stuff we bought ahead of time. Screaming Yellow Zonkers and Adams Sour gum.

*sniff* Those were the days.

I remember when I was around nine years old, there was a HUGE Disney film festival here in NY, somewhere on the West Side. The lines stretched around the block, there were so many people that wanted to see them. This was in 1974, waaaaaay before the VCR became available for home use. They showed just about everything that had been made, and put away in the vault for DECADES!!!

There were so many people on the line, that you couldn't always get to see the movie you wanted, and the weekends were worst! They were sold out within minutes.

Nowadays, you don't have that. With all of the multiplexes in cities now, that problem is avoided.

I tell this to some of my younger relatives, and while it's amusing to see their eyes pop out of their heads, I want to do a facepalm when they ask: Why didn't you just get it on video? And I had just finished telling them that there WEREN'T any to be had in the first place.

Not only do I feel old, I also feel that these kids are pretty spoiled and not altogether too bright.

starsky
Jun 20, '13, 12:29 PM
My son has the boxed set of the Hardy Boys run, and I am looking to get him into the Three Investigators. "What's 'spelunking' dad?"

i love the three investigators!!