Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MARX TOY MUSEUM - Discounted Admission & Map Links!!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mego-Marx
    • May 31, 2013

MARX TOY MUSEUM - Discounted Admission & Map Links!!!

Greetings MegoMeeters,

The Marx Toy Museum in Moundsville -- less than 20 minutes down river on Rt. 2 South (US-250 S) from the Hampton Inn -- is offering discounted admission to all those attending the Megomeet this weekend. ALL ADMISSIONS are $5.00 -- that's $3.50 off our regular adult rate of $8.50 (kids under 6 always get in FREE). No coupon needed, just mention that you are attending MegoMeet!

Marx Toy Museum
    915 Second St.
    Moundsville, WV 26041
    (304) 845-6022 ~ museum@marxtoymuseum.com

HOURS: Tuesday - Saturday, 11 am - 5 pm; Adults $8.50 / Seniors $7.50 / Students $5.00 / Under 6 Free!

The MTM houses the LARGEST PUBLIC DISPLAY of vintage Marx toys in the world, and even features country music star BRAD PAISLEY's childhood Big Wheel cycle!!! It's all a sight to behold…

Google Maps links:
    Hampton Inn to Marx Toy Museum
    Kruger St. Toy & Train Museum (Meet site) to Marx Toy Museum

Click HERE to see what some attendees at last year's Meet had to say (pictures, too)!

PLEASE NOTE: Be careful to maintain posted speed limits; the small local towns are rather strict in this regard.

================================================== ============================

…And what's better than having TWO toy museums to visit when coming to town for the Meet? …Well, THREE toy museums, of course!!!

Just across the river, in Bellaire, OH, collectors will find the Toy and Plastic Brick Museum (aka. the Unofficial LEGO Museum):
    Toy and Plastic Brick Museum
    4597 Noble St.
    Bellaire, OH 43906
    (740) 671-8890 ~ toymuseum@hotmail.com

SUMMER HOURS: Wed-Sun 12 - 5pm; Adults $8.00, Kids $6.00
    Kruger to Brick Museum: http://goo.gl/maps/6qrlb

There are numerous incredible life-size custom LEGO statues here, along with murals made of LEGOS, and lots of other amazing displays.

Here are a couple handy MUSEUM TOUR ROUND TRIP LINKS that will take you from either Hampton Inn, or Kruger Street, to the Marx Toy Museum, then on to the 'LEGO' Museum, and back:
    RT from Hampton Inn
    RT from Kruger Street Museum (and back to Kruger via the Hampton)

Enjoy the show!!!
    Glenn Ridenour
    Marx Toy Museum board
    The museum is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization; your contributions are TAX DEDUCTIBLE.
    Last edited by Mego-Marx; Jun 6, '13, 5:41 PM.
  • AcroRay
    Persistent Member
    • Apr 17, 2005

Hey, Glenn! If my family can't make it on the MegoMeet weekend, we'll come out later in the summer!
    Micronauts Collector, Historian, Consultant
    AcroRay's Laboratory - My Micronauts Blog
    The Micropolis Embassy - My Micronauts Group
    Rockets, Robots & Dinosaurs - My Blog for Other Interests

Comment

• B-Lister
      Eccentric Weirdo
      • Mar 19, 2010

I have some free admissions and coupons for when you DO go, Ray.
      Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• B-Lister
        Eccentric Weirdo
        • Mar 19, 2010

Glenn is also correct about the speed limits. When going through Glen Dale, the speed limit is 35MPH. I got pulled over for passing someone less than three miles over the limit.
        Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Mego-Marx
          • May 31, 2013

Originally posted by AcroRay
          Hey, Glenn! If my family can't make it on the MegoMeet weekend, we'll come out later in the summer!
          AcroRay, we're both lucky to be in close proximity to all these museums (I'm outta Pittsburgh) -- easy day trips -- I took the kids over to the LEGO museum a few years ago when they were younger, and they stood there with eyes wide and jaws dropped. For you, it might be worth it to come back over when things aren't as rushed.
          -- GR

Comment

• Mego-Marx
            • May 31, 2013

Originally posted by B-Lister
            When going through Glen Dale…I got pulled over for passing someone less than three miles over the limit.
            BL, I've been lucky all the years coming down to the valley, although, a few years back I got a $30 ticket for parking the WRONG way on the street in front of the Marx Museum, as I saw a spot on the other side of the road and just pulled over to it (… didn't even realize that was illegal )

Glen Dale is NOTORIOUS for its police presence -- as soon as you come around the 'cliffs' on Rt.2 South, and hit town, there's usually an officer sitting right there, and right where the speed drops from 50 down to 35, lol. I suppose that's how some of those little cash-strapped communities are able to keep going!

BTW, here's a Google Map link that pinpoints the former MARX FACTORY in Glen Dale -- there's not much sign of the old toy company now -- just a massive 1/4-mile long red brick building, but if you look close, high on the wall, on the side near the main train tracks (opposite side from the river), you can see faint writing that says "FOKKER" that PREdates the Marx usage of the plant (Louie & co. moved in around 1934) to when the building was used to make aircraft!!! There's a small airfield in front of the facility along the river there, too.

The big old water tank in front of the south end of the building still had "Marx" painted on it until sometime in the later half of 2011, but the current occupant covered that over with insulating material, as it's still being used.
            -- GR

Comment

• B-Lister
              Eccentric Weirdo
              • Mar 19, 2010

Thanks for that info. I have assumed that Technocap was using the factory, apparently not.

Do you have a map indicating the location of the dump?

Comment

• Mego-Marx
                • May 31, 2013

I'm not sure of the name of the company using the building right now; you may be right… (Fokker aircraft was there before Marx over 8o yrs ago.)

I have not been to the dump; for some reason I never had a desire to go up there. I did buy some stuff from the guys digging there many years ago, but ultimately most of it turned out to be worthless & dirty, and a lot of the plastic had turned colors from being buried in the mud for all those years. There were a few little 'gems' that turned up, though, and surprisingly, some paper playset bags survived.

Comment

• B-Lister
                  Eccentric Weirdo
                  • Mar 19, 2010

You need to dig below the frost layer. First rule of archaeology.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎