• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

Fantastic Four: The Lost Adventure

Back story:
    Back in 1970, Jack Kirby left Marvel and the Fantastic Four (where he and Stan Lee had been on the book for 102 issues) for DC. One of the problems between Lee and Kirby I guess was the issue that should've been FF #103. Kirby turned in pencils (along with his resignation) that for some reason Lee deemed as unusable. Portions of Kirby's original work for the proposed #103 were later used in FF #108 with new sequences by John Buscema and John Romita.

Now:
    "Fantastic Four: The Lost Adventure" essentially has 3 versions of the story...
    1) "The Menace of the Mega-Men"- New Stan Lee dialogue over Jack Kirby's original pencils with inks by Joe Sinnott. Additional pencils by Ron Frenz have been added to flesh out some of Kirby's unfinished portions.

2) "Fantastic Four #108:Kirby's Way" - Kirby's original pencils with scripts (based off of Jack's border notes) by John Morrow (of Twomorrows and The Kirby Collector fame)

3) "The Monstrous Mystery of the Nega-Man"- The way the story was originally published in FF #108.

I found this an interesting project but it was a little difficult flipping back and forth between 3 stories to see the differences between them. Most of Lee's "new" scripts follow what was originally written for #108 (where the sequences match up). But some of the actual new stuff was a little too tongue-in-cheek/breaking the fourth wall for my tastes. Case in point:

Just for a change, we don't open with Reed bending over some fantastic, scientific Kirbyesque contraption
    Destroying the world indeed! I'm a scientist, my dear Susan. I don't deal in comicbook phraseology
    Later, as Kirby displays his skill at drawing a bucolic scene...
    That's just a little too cutesy for my tastes.

Still, it was nice to see a "new" full-length Lee/Kirby FF story. Incidentally, it appears to have been signed off on by Lisa Kirby (his daughter) and the Kirby Estate.

On an interesting note, I thought that Janus (the villain) and his brother looked similar to the two faces of Orion of the New Gods...his true evil looking face and the nice one he gets from Mother Box.
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!
  • Bo8a_Fett
    Pat Troughton in disguise
    • Nov 21, 2007

Was nice to see it in some sort of completion...they had already printed the pencils in the last masterworks...but it was a bit twee and contrived for me and didn't sit quite right. saying that it WAS nice to see it in print and coloured like the original run.
    ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎