PDA

View Full Version : World's Greatest Heroes! New "Series 2" Full-Page Ad

imp
May 31, '13, 7:37 PM
Back in April, I posted the full-page ad that appeared in Previews magazine depicting FTC's Series 1 "World's Greatest Heroes!" line.

The most recent issue (June 2013) features a full-page ad promoting the "Series 2" wave:

http://www.worldsgreatesttoys.com/ftc2_previews.jpg

I must confess, The utterly baffling assortment of characters chosen to represent the critical 2nd Wave has dulled the luster of my excitement.

Secret Identities? Seriously? Not Superman or Aquaman? Or Shazam?

And of the four Super-Gals presumably available to Figures Toy Co. -- all DC characters -- Not Supergirl? Not Wonder Woman? …Catwoman!

I can only surmise that FTC is contractually confined to producing only Batman-related characters. But if that's the case, why not Batgirl?

…CATWOMAN?!

:no: SMH :no:

It's another nice ad, but… I just… WOW. I just don't know…

-b

monitor_ep
May 31, '13, 7:53 PM
From what I gather the are trying to test the market on the Batman Megos first. There will be three waves. To keep this going Mego released 3 different Batman & Robins. So with each wave you get a Batman & Robin. Wave 3 will have Batgirl, RC Batman, RM Robin and a mystery character. This is as far as they have advertised.

EMCE Hammer
May 31, '13, 7:59 PM
They're going with the Batman line first, then they will branch out. I've seen pics of some of the first samples, and I think they'll go over well assuming that the bodies are of acceptable quality. This license has the potential to have legs for years just like when Mego had it.

imp
May 31, '13, 8:01 PM
From what I gather the are trying to test the market on the Batman Megos first. There will be three waves. To keep this going Mego released 3 different Batman & Robins. So with each wave you get a Batman & Robin. Wave 3 will have Batgirl, RC Batman, RM Robin and a mystery character. This is as far as they have advertised.

So wait. They need THREE WAVES to "test the market"? So they plan to release twelve figures -- HALF of which you're suggesting will be Batman or Robin -- to "test the market"? None of that makes any sense. :juggleyes_y:

monitor_ep
May 31, '13, 8:34 PM
You have to remember that Mego did this to themselves to start with. 9 out of 22 (and that is counting the Teen Titans and Isis) were Batman related. Heck only one villain they released was not a member of the Batman Family. You cannot blame FTC for the ratio of what Mego released. I was shocked they decided to do the Bruce Wayne and Richard Grayson. Those were the exclusive figures. Even though all I want is Batman & Robin, I will support there waves and buy them all.

monitor_ep
May 31, '13, 8:38 PM
My problem is the version of Catwoman they are releasing. This is the third version of her. If they had to stick with this costume I wish they would have gone with the first version that looks more comic book related with the blue leggings. Why Mego decided to go with this version is another story.

Another thing, this might be out of FTC hands one what they can release first. This might be WB/DC call.

monitor_ep
May 31, '13, 8:38 PM
My problem is the version of Catwoman they are releasing. This is the third version of her. If they had to stick with this costume I wish they would have gone with the first version that looks more comic book related with the blue leggings. Why Mego decided to go with this version is another story.

Another thing, this might be out of FTC hands one what they can release first. This might be WB/DC call.

Figuremod73
May 31, '13, 8:46 PM
Are the pictures here official CTVT bodies or just more "prototypes"? Penguin is a T1.

I'm really wanting to see some good pictures of their actual product.

Brown Bear
May 31, '13, 8:53 PM
I love the ad and can't wait til we start seeing the never before released figs....then business will really pick up for this line.

imp
May 31, '13, 9:38 PM
To start with… 9 out of 22… were Batman related.

9 out of 22? Walk me through your math here. After testing the line with Batman and Robin (along with Superman and Aquaman) for Christmas 1972, Mego didn't issue a third Batman-related character for an entire year (Batgirl, around Christmas 1973). And during that year, Mego issued four completely awesome and completely unrelated characters: Captain America, Tarzan, Spider-Man and Shazam!

In total (counting Teen Titans and Isis as you did), Mego issued 37 different WGSH figures. By my count, only seven (7) were Batman-related: Batman, Robin, Batgirl, Catwoman, Penguin, Joker and Riddler. If we include the two Batman-related Secret Identities Ward exclusives (not exactly different characters but whatever), that makes nine (9).

9 out of 37 is not the preponderance you suggest. More importantly, Mego released a grand total of NINE Batman-related characters during their eleven-year run. Comparatively, FTC apparently stands poised to release TWELVE Batman-related characters… just within their first year. (Six of which are variations of the same two characters.)

Don't get me wrong. I love me some Batman Family. But… I guess I'm just not digging any of this math. :muh:

-b

imp
May 31, '13, 9:52 PM
Are the pictures here official CTVT bodies or just more "prototypes"? Penguin is a T1. I'm really wanting to see some good pictures of their actual product.

I could be wrong, but I believe everything in the ad -- except for Penguin -- is new, FTC product. Catwoman's gloves and the SI suits are clearly replicas. Penguin's head looks to be new, FTC product. I can't discern whether Penguin's outfit is vintage Mego or new FTC, but it's definitely a Type 1 body. I'm guessing FTC did not have the fat-body prototype completed in time for marketing purposes? I'm also guessing the FTC fat-body will mirror the Type 2 body, to match the standard bodies they are manufacturing. These are just guesses.

monitor_ep
May 31, '13, 10:00 PM
Ok I was only counting the DC comic related figures (ops 11 Batman related characters)

BATMAN FAMILY (11 characters)
Batman
Robin
Removable Cowl Batman
Removable Mask Robin
Bruce Wayne
Richard Grayson
Joker
Penguin
Riddler
Catwoman
Batgirl

DC UNIVERSE (12 figures)
Superman
Supergirl
Clark Kent
Wonder Woman
Green Arrow
Aquaman
Shazam
Isis
Speedy
Kid Flash
Aqualad
Wondergirl

Like I said I am not counting the Marvel characters because FTC has not stated if they can get them. For all we know WB/DC could have told FTC that they have to release the Batman Family first. Batman seems to be the money maker at DC so by testing this out to see if ReMegos are going to sell I can see why. So with what happened with the Retro-Active I can see WB/DC could be testing the waters first to see if the market is there for another attempt at Megos.

That being said I would have done wave two as a Superman wave since the movie will still be in the minds of the customers, but I do not work for WB/DC so I cannot say what goes through there minds. I just happy they didn't decide to use there DCnU outfits.

imp
May 31, '13, 10:24 PM
Ok I was only counting the DC comic related figures (ops 11 Batman related characters)

Going back to your original post, you stated, "You cannot blame FTC for the ratio of what Mego released." But your 'ratio' of what Mego released is a completely inaccurate fiction.

BATMAN FAMILY (11 characters)
Batman
Robin
Removable Cowl Batman
Removable Mask Robin
Bruce Wayne
Richard Grayson
Joker
Penguin
Riddler
Catwoman
Batgirl

More than half of your 'ratio' are variations of two characters, not different characters. Batman's Removable Cowl and Robin's Removable Mask were simple production variations. Are you also going to count the Vinyl Cape Batman and the Elastic Belt Robin as 'characters'? I'm just saying: Don't pin this on Mego.

Like I said I am not counting the Marvel characters because FTC has not stated if they can get them. For all we know WB/DC could have told FTC that they have to release the Batman Family first. Batman seems to be the money maker at DC so by testing this out to see if ReMegos are going to sell I can see why. So with what happened with the Retro-Active I can see WB/DC could be testing the waters first to see if the market is there for another attempt at Megos.

Here's what I think is happening: There is a long-standing marketing fallacy -- going back to the '89 Batman movie line and the BTAS series -- that new DC toy lines have to kick out a bunch Batman variations along with a few other characters. This may be valid, but only when you're marketing TO CHILDREN.

Yes, kids want Batman. Sure, gift-buying grandmas and classmates want Batman. COLLECTORS, on the other hand, want variety. And let's be clear who this line is targeting: Adult Collectors. Adhering to this kid-centric stratagem for adult collectors is a classic blunder. Kinda like starting a land war in Asia.

enyawd72
May 31, '13, 10:28 PM
I'm sure collectors will jump at the chance to finally own the secret identity figures, as well as the RC figures from wave three.
Bottom line, if you want to see non Batman figures, you better buy the first three waves.
I'm gonna support everything they release to help make the rest of the DCU happen.

rchatlin
May 31, '13, 10:37 PM
Haven't full repro Bruce and Dick figures been available for quite a while now?
I thought Doc Mego offered them, as well as the other two.

Granted, these are licensed, but essentially the same, right?

r
o
b

I'm sure collectors will jump at the chance to finally own the secret identity figures, as well as the RC figures from wave three.
Bottom line, if you want to see non Batman figures, you better buy the first three waves.
I'm gonna support everything they release to help make the rest of the DCU happen.

megomania
May 31, '13, 10:45 PM
The ad says "look for future releases to include other batman characters and their secret identities" Hmm.....

-Chris

imp
May 31, '13, 10:49 PM

Bottom line: NO.

I already pre-ordered the entire Series 1 set. All four of 'em. But I won't be getting any of Series 2. Sorry.

monitor_ep
May 31, '13, 10:53 PM
You do know I do not work for FTC or WB/DC. I have no idea why they are releasing just Batman Family in the first three waves. I love my Megos. This is why I have spent over $1000 rebuilding my collection. I want all the ReMegos and I would love to get new figures. I have stopped buying other figures just to focus on Megos. I am only trying to give my guess as to way they are releasing the figures that they are doing. I have been in the selling/trading/buying of toys for over 20 years now. So I am just drawing from knowledge of past toy sales to try and figure out what is going on.

That being said I really want to know what the fourth figure in wave 3 is going to be and when waves are going to get released.

ovenmitt
May 31, '13, 10:56 PM
Did Figures have the rights to ALL DC characters from the start or just Batman? I love Batman and the Batman characters comprised a big chunk of my childhood WGSH! So, I don't mind Batman leading off new WGSH! Superman deserves representation in 2013 for hs 75th!

After the 3 Batman waves it will only take another 3 DC reissue waves:

Superman, Clark Kent, Supergirl, Mr Mxyzptlk

Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Shazam, Green Arrow

Teen Titans- Aqualad, Kid Flash, Wonder Girl, Speedy

Then on with the NEW! A DC Multiverse to select from!

needahero
May 31, '13, 11:34 PM
I am new to the collector scene only had megos as a kid but will buy these to rekindle my childhood hope I have the courage to open these items when I get them. Are they going to make Marvell figures ? If not pls tell why?

monitor_ep
Jun 1, '13, 12:12 AM
FTC hasn't ruled out about the Marvel figures, it is up to Disney if they want to go with Remegos.

garfoot
Jun 1, '13, 1:45 AM
When Figures first announced they were remaking Mego figures, first we thought that only Batman related stuff would be available. They showed us the carrying case then we knew that there would probably be 11 figures made, possibly a 12th yet to be determined. So my initial thoughts were okay, wave 1-3 will be Batman merchandise. So this marketing plan fits. These were always going to be the first 11 figures out of the gate. It wasn't until the interview with Figures that we found out that the entire DC Universe (minus movies) was at their disposal.

From a marketing standpoint, of which I know something about, it makes sense to start out with Batman, their heavy hitter. The Nolan trilogy not so far removed, the '66 tv show merchandise about to hit everywhere this summer, why not test the market to see how these new figures are received? I personally think these will do well because their Batman, and they bring back found memories for so many of us. If series 1-3 do well, then expand the series into others. We know the other DC Megos by heart, and we know what should be released, but we must step back and take personal feelings out of the equation. I believe Figures love these figures as much as we do, and I know that they will make as many as they can as long as they sell.

They have been open and honest on Facebook to me about their desire for these to succeed. I can see these going for several years, and bringing us 100 figures, if the figures do well. Out of all their announced lines, I think that this one has the legs to be their flagship. DC and possibly Marvel in the future, I like those odds. But being as this is a business, only time will tell. With Man of Steel only a couple weeks away, I wouldn't be shocked if a certain "S" man showed up in series 4.

Jason73
Jun 1, '13, 2:16 AM
I don't own any of the original versions of the wave 2 assortment so I am all in on these.

thunderbolt
Jun 1, '13, 5:31 AM
I'm passing on all these and saving my money for the Adam West series. If they do some new figures that weren't from Mego or covered by Mattel recently I'll get those, too.

GlobalObserver
Jun 1, '13, 5:43 AM
I ordered a 12-figure case of wave#1 because I really want to support this line.

I'm in for at least a single set of wave#2, but I'm really disappointed that Batgirl didn't make the cut.

Batgirl has a removable cowl, so I suppose it makes sense to pair her up with removable cowl/mask Batman & Robin.

I'm really curious to see what mystery figure rounds out wave#3. Assuming it's a completely new addition to the Batman family of figures, I sure hope it's Mr. Freeze. Possibly with removable helmet/dome.

madmarva
Jun 1, '13, 6:10 AM
Unless you're on the inside and know all the hows and whys, it's difficult to hazard a guess why Figures.com opted for the characters in the second wave. I can see the logic behind it, but I also understand why it's being questioned, too.

Some think it's a good selection; others don't. It's not a particularly attractive wave to me b/c i never liked the head sculpts on Bruce and Dick or the version of Cat Woman Mego made. But I also know if anything were altered with the figures, there would be complaints about not duplicating those figures exactly.

If it does prove to be a bad choice, hopefully Figures.com can forge on and make better educated selections in the future.

I too would like to see a Superman wave as well as mixing in some new characters, but I'm most eager to see the final versions of the first 66 wave after seeing the peeks we've been given. I would love to see figures of Jimmy Olson, Lois Lane, Perry White and ect.

A true love wave would be fun for Valentines with Lois Lane, Col. Steve Trevor, Selina Kyle and Mera.

A Halloween wave could include SwampThing, Deadman, Spectre and Phantom Stranger

enyawd72
Jun 1, '13, 6:22 AM
Bottom line: NO.

I already pre-ordered the entire Series 1 set. All four of 'em. But I won't be getting any of Series 2. Sorry.

I wasn't referring to you personally...just making a general statement. As you say, collectors want variety, and you're right. Variety is coming...we've been told up front what CTVT's plans are for this line. The sky's the limit. BUT, if the first few waves don't sell, you can kiss all that variety goodbye.
I really don't think it'll be a problem anyway. SI and RC are some of the most expensive hardest to find originals there are. I can't imagine these won't sell like crazy.

GlobalObserver
Jun 1, '13, 7:12 AM
Second only to Action Jackson, that Bruce Wayne head sculpt is just about the ugliest thing Mego ever produced. :googly:

smonte00
Jun 1, '13, 7:44 AM
Are there any plans to sell these at toy stores, like the DC Retro figures? It was so cool to see those on a peg like when we were kids. My son is getting to the age where he's starting to like megos now and I just think its a nice experience for him as it would be for others. At least he's getting the chance to rip open the packages. That's part of the fun.

madmarva
Jun 1, '13, 8:22 AM
Toys R Us does carry specialty items that may be ordered from Diamond Distributors, which sells to comic book stores and other novelty stores. From time to time, I've seen DC Direct items that weren't mass marketed in TRU from time to time, but considering their exclusive deal with Mattel's reMego figures didn't go so well, I could see why TRU wouldn't allocate space for these figures. If the figures were more realistic in the sculpting, maybe. TRU might have more interest in the 66 Batman line, but maybe not since it is the exclusive mass-market retailer for the Mattel 66 Batman line.

hedrap
Jun 1, '13, 8:53 AM
There was zero cost put into AE Wayne. They already had every piece, before getting the license.

So every Wayne bought covers the cost of another figure.

Now consider how many parts they been manufacturing for years - shoes, oven mitts, bodies, colored hands, - and subtract that from the startup cost.

We're looking at all initial costs in heads and fabrics, so these waves are the lowest risk vs return to gauge the real market size.

Then again, I'm with Thunderbolt. Only way I would buy a replica is for my kids to bang up, but since this is CTVT, lord only knows the durability.

Figuremod73
Jun 1, '13, 8:56 AM
Maybe Tarzan and Conan will be released around the time Wave 2 finally hits, that will be a little variety at least.

Wave 2 doesnt look bad to me since I dont have either villain. The SI figures should sell pretty well but I would have liked to have seen Batgirl get released sooner as well.

Heres hoping all the lines do well so this will continue!

VintageMike
Jun 1, '13, 10:28 AM
Not thrilled about the wave, especially since I already have DM made Bruce/Dick repros but again I'll support it if it helps keep the line going.

imp
Jun 1, '13, 11:58 AM
This thread is fascinating, but I'm reading a lot of misconceptions.

First, the market size:
Folks 'round here desperately want to believe the Mego collector community is larger than it is. In reality, it's incredibly small. Like, high hundreds to low thousands SMALL. These are horrible numbers for any manufacturer attempting to court this demographic. My awareness of this is first-hand.

Accordingly, FTC and other ventures courting this market need to appeal to a much larger base. FTC realizes this by virtue of partnering with Diamond/Previews. They hope to tap the comic book-reading fan base who see these figures pegged in their local comic shop and experience the a-ha! moment of nostalgia… enough to plunk down $25 - $100. Well guess what? That AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN by offering two proven peg-warmers (Catwoman and Penguin) and two random, generic guys in ugly suits that virtually NO ONE owned as a kid.

Secondly, this load-carrying expectation:
Comments like these:

Even though all I want is Batman & Robin, I will support there waves and buy them all.

Batman characters comprised a big chunk of my childhood WGSH! So, I don't mind Batman leading off new WGSH!

We know the other DC Megos by heart, and we know what should be released, but we must step back and take personal feelings out of the equation.

I really want to support this line… I'm in for at least a single set of wave#2, but I'm really disappointed that Batgirl didn't make the cut.

Not thrilled about the wave…but again I'll support it if it helps keep the line going.

NEWS FLASH: You cannot make consumers buy a bunch of crap they don't want, on the hope and promise they might some day get the chance to buy what they really do want. This is COMMERCE, not POLITICS.

Whether WB/DC or FTC is responsible for this woeful Series 2 assortment is irrelevant. Sure, there are a few of you who will carry the burden, as evidenced by the quotations above. But I guarantee you, there are fewer than one hundred such hard-core collectors. Not large enough to overcome bad choices by the manufacturer/licensor.

Finally, this accepted notion that it will take three waves of Batman-related figures to "test the market" is preposterous. Trust me: If FTC doesn't sell enough Series 1 Joker and Riddler figures, sales aren't going to increase with Bruce and Dick man-dolls.

Brown Bear
Jun 1, '13, 12:10 PM
I'm happy to see these figs and hope they do extremely well despite the negative critics. No matter WHAT remego line is released, these toy companies are constantly bombarded with collectors pointing out what they did wrong. At the end of the day they ARE releasing these guys and we're not. If we don't want to buy it, don't buy it....but throwing them under the bus before they even get wave 1 on shelves is a bit much.

Best of luck to FTC for bringing lines I thought I'd never see.

haggis
Jun 1, '13, 12:30 PM
Would the 22 of the 9 out of 22 be DC Comics characters? Just guessing. It does seem like they only have the rights to produce Batman TV-series characters at this point.

thunderbolt
Jun 1, '13, 12:49 PM
Would the 22 of the 9 out of 22 be DC Comics characters? Just guessing. It does seem like they only have the rights to produce Batman TV-series characters at this point.

At first all they had was Bats, later they nailed down the rest of the DC characters. So, that is why the first offerings are bat related, since they started off with just the Batman license.

David Lee
Jun 1, '13, 12:52 PM

First, the market size:
Folks 'round here desperately want to believe the Mego collector community is larger than it is. In reality, it's incredibly small. Like, high hundreds to low thousands SMALL. These are horrible numbers for any manufacturer attempting to court this demographic. My awareness of this is first-hand.

Accordingly, FTC and other ventures courting this market need to appeal to a much larger base. FTC realizes this by virtue of partnering with Diamond/Previews. They hope to tap the comic book-reading fan base who see these figures pegged in their local comic shop and experience the a-ha! moment of nostalgia… enough to plunk down $25 - $100. Well guess what? That AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN by offering two proven peg-warmers (Catwoman and Penguin) and two random, generic guys in ugly suits that virtually NO ONE owned as a kid.

Comments like these:

NEWS FLASH: You cannot make consumers buy a bunch of crap they don't want, on the hope and promise they might some day get the chance to buy what they really do want. This is COMMERCE, not POLITICS.

Whether WB/DC or FTC is responsible for this woeful Series 2 assortment is irrelevant. Sure, there are a few of you who will carry the burden, as evidenced by the quotations above. But I guarantee you, there are fewer than one hundred such hard-core collectors. Not large enough to overcome bad choices by the manufacturer/licensor.

Finally, this accepted notion that it will take three waves of Batman-related figures to "test the market" is preposterous. Trust me: If FTC doesn't sell enough Series 1 Joker and Riddler figures, sales aren't going to increase with Bruce and Dick man-dolls.

Right on target! I think you nailed it perfectly... I would only differ with you on the size of the community. Hardcore Collectors yes, but customizers and others in the comunity bolster the numbers up a bit (not crazy mind you). I think the introduction of new stuff is the only way to truly court the whole community. The 66' stuff is gonna do just that, making new DC characters sprinkled in with clssics would also do this. I want this to succeed, but as a guy who produced 8 inch figures I know just how big/small the pool is... Excitement is easy at first, longevity is the tough part. Wise choices will make the difference in future waves. Having said that? all of this won't mean a "hill of beans" (even though this is our hill and these are our beans), if the quality is not there...

Dave

enyawd72
Jun 1, '13, 2:35 PM

First, the market size:

Comments like these:

Well I for one am THRILLED with the offerings of waves one through three, and am greatly looking forward to adding the "Bruce and Dick man-dolls" to my collection, as well as the Penguin, Catwoman, and especially the removeable cowl and mask figures since I may never be able to find mint originals. We are being blessed with brand new WGSH in 2013, with the possibility of many more repro and original DC characters, vehicles, playsets and even Marvel figures. I absolutely REFUSE to engage in pessimistic speculation when this is possibly the greatest thing to happen with Megos in thirty years. Sorry Benjamin, but you're not gonna rain on my parade. :grin:

imp
Jun 1, '13, 2:57 PM
Last I checked, this is a Message Board, an online community where passionate people can gather to express their thoughts and opinions. I'm not "throwing them under the bus" or "raining on parades", I'm merely presenting some tough questions in the spirit of such discussion. My apologies for ruffling feathers.

Me challenging FTC's decision-making is not "negative" or "pessimistic speculation". On the contrary, I am rooting HARD for this line to succeed. But I am sure I'm not alone in my reservations. I suspect very few people are excited about this Series 2 assortment. One or two of you seem to be, but not many are chiming in to cheer for a Dick Grayson so early in the endeavor.

We all know FTC has access to the entire DC character library. I just wish they were flexible enough to make a 'rolling change' and skip the Secret Identities for a while; release a few more Super-Heroes characters first… a few figures everyone could get excited about, not just a handful of die-hard supporters willing to gamble on potential future releases.

The Toyroom
Jun 1, '13, 3:14 PM
Wave 1 I'll buy for nostalgia's sake and for the quick thrill of new MIP Megos. Wave 2 is a definitite "skip" for me. There's no nostalgia for me on the Secret ID figures, never owned them originally and only have a Bruce repro now. Penguin is not even in the same league for me as a fresh Joker and Riddler are. And that particular version of Catwoman has always baffled me since the age of 5. I'd rather throw my support and money behind the '66 Batman series. If new DC Megos are made great, but I'm not interested in going through rehash for rehash sake in the hopes that they get to Hawkman or Harley Quinn "eventually".

imp
Jun 1, '13, 3:17 PM
Wave 1 I'll buy for nostalgia's sake and for the quick thrill of new MIP Megos. Wave 2 is a definitite "skip" for me. There's no nostalgia for me on the Secret ID figures, never owned them originally and only have a Bruce repro now. Penguin is not even in the same league for me as a fresh Joker and Riddler are. And that particular version of Catwoman has always baffled me since the age of 5. I'd rather throw my support and money behind the '66 Batman series. If new DC Megos are made great, but I'm not interested in going through rehash for rehash sake in the hopes that they get to Hawkman or Harley Quinn "eventually".

Beautifully stated. And brevity is the soul of wit, so bravo!

PNGwynne
Jun 1, '13, 3:41 PM
I'm a huge Penguin fan (perhaps the only one lol) and I'd like a SI Dick Grayson, but this wave is just "blah" to me. FTC could have stepped up with more interesting (and marketable) Bat-waves:

2: SI Wayne, RC Bats, Commissoner Gordon, Penguin
3: SI Grayson, RM Robin, Alfred, Catwoman
4: Batgirl, Barbara Gordon, Mr. Freeze, Scarecrow

Of course this is disputable, but you can see I'm trying to double-up the re-issues and add in some classic new characters.

I'm still wondering why FTC decided not to honor Superman's 75th anniversary with a wave.

Captain Awesome
Jun 1, '13, 3:44 PM
Been reading the comments here and decided to chime in. As collector's, what it boils down to is personal preference. Buy what you want, don't buy what you don't want. Simple as that. The character choices are out of our collective control. All we can do is provide feedback and hope they listen. Now, having said that, as a collector who wants to see them succeed and produce more figures, I'm going to do my part and support the line by buying every one of them. To me, the support in buying the product is the absolute bottom line. The more we buy, the more characters they'll make. If we don't buy em...they will stop making them. Its happened before, it WILL happen again.

PNGwynne
Jun 1, '13, 3:49 PM
FTC has a tough row to hoe with both demanding collectors and skeptical retailers. We collectors have every right to question assortments & fabrication. My local shop is considering not even ordering these--the owner still has shoddy CTVT stock of monsters, knights, & pirates, etc. he cant move.

Maybe that's why CTVT is "FTC" now...

That said, I supported Emce Trek & POTA and I'll give the same courtesy to FTC if the quality is present. I'll be one of those collectors who wants a set. But many wont, and I worry that the line will run out of steam before we see significant interest in, & production of, other characters.

imp
Jun 1, '13, 3:54 PM
I worry that the line will run out of steam before we see significant interest in, & production of, other characters.

This is precisely my concern, distilled to its purest essence. You guys are just more succinct than I.

Earth 2 Chris
Jun 1, '13, 5:51 PM
I'm wondering if they had access to the entire DCU to begin with. I can't imagine they WOULDN'T do Superman in an early wave, especially since it's his year.

I'm skipping wave 1, but will get Bruce and Dick from Wave 2, since I've never owned them.

Chris

captact
Jun 1, '13, 5:54 PM
I'm passing on all these and saving my money for the Adam West series. If they do some new figures that weren't from Mego or covered by Mattel recently I'll get those, too.

Im with thunderbolt all the way!!!!

Figuremod73
Jun 1, '13, 6:13 PM
I think the worse thing that could happen is the quality isnt there. That will ruin any future chances right there. I believe thats partly why interest in the Retro-actions dwindled so quickly. I'm afraid to even take mine out of their packages because of it.

I do think theres a market there from younger folks that have never seen a mego before BUT they have to be made aware of them. Thats one of the major hurdles for online retailers. How can they advertise this type of product in this day in age? If comic shops dont carry them thats gonna make things worse.

I wish we had another big toy retailer that would carry this sort of thing. The void left when K.b. toys went under never has really been filled.

madmarva
Jun 1, '13, 7:04 PM
Wave 1 and 2 are supposed to be out in August and September, right. Who is to say Figures won't have a wave a month and get to Superman before the end of the year?

imp
Jun 1, '13, 7:43 PM
Wave 1 and 2 are supposed to be out in August and September, right. Who is to say Figures won't have a wave a month and get to Superman before the end of the year?

That would certainly assuage my fears. In fact, if FTC's pockets are deep enough, timing may not be an issue. If they're already a lock to produce DC characters beyond the Batman family, i.e. they're not counting on achieving certain sales from Series 2 in order to move forward, all of my concerns would be moot. FTC could be golden. Fingers crossed.

garfoot
Jun 1, '13, 9:14 PM
I am in the minority here, but I currently do not own any original Mego WGSH figures. I am just getting back into this size after 15 years of collecting Hasbro Star Wars. I can see both sides of this, wave 2 is awesome for someone like me who wants all of them, but if you have them, or just don't care for them, I could see why this would be a dull wave. As for why they wouldn't jump right into wave 2 with Superman and other popular characters, maybe they're just not far enough into production yet? Batman was announced first, so maybe these first 11 figures are ready to go now. I'm sure they want to start making back some of that cost on that very expensive DC license.

If you have them ready to go, why not release them? We assume wave 3 is Batman, but we really don't know. Like imp said, they could have deep pockets. It's all a guess for those of us on the outside, but my guess is simply that these Batman figures are ready to go while the others will be along shortly after. I think in the end we all wish this line to prosper and it's so much fun having these debates about these great nostalgic figures.

tllgn
Jun 1, '13, 10:09 PM
I really like what FTC is doing ,i am in for all these great retro DC figures,not just to support the movement ,but because i want them.wave 1 is perfect,and i
think wave 2 is also nice,true i never had the bruce & dick figures as a kid ,but i sure remember how much i wanted them after seeing them in that wish-book.as
for catwomen ,i loved it as a kid ,she was my first supergal,still have it,looking forward to get her again.Penguin - i like this one too,had him as a kid,still have it,i
personally want all the repros first,they really take you back,just like emces Star trek & apes did.and looking forward to all new figures that i never had (but thought
they would make at the time)but didnt,Lets just enjoy these toys now,because when the retro movement is over,its over,i will enjoy this while it lasts.

tllgn
Jun 1, '13, 10:15 PM
oh, and i love the fact that each figure has their original mego card color,-great touch.

jayraytee
Jun 1, '13, 10:30 PM
I always kind of figured that they started with Batman figures for the first few waves of these because they were also producing the 66 Batman figures which will get all the buzz for a while. That and the fact that Spiderman and Batman are probably the two biggest super heroes for kids, if they are hoping for getting support for the line outside the collector market. But really, none us really know which characters would be the catalyst to launch the line into success or which characters would seal its doom. Its all speculation. I mean I would rather see Dr fate and the Spectre than Bruce and Dick, personally, but who knows they might be a couple of characters that would kill the line while Bruce and Dick might get some collector market buzz and just work for some unknown reason. We've all seen great toy lines fail and some that we never would of thought would continue live on for years. All we can really do is buy the ones we want to buy and sit back and see if they made the right choices or not.

Random Axe
Jun 1, '13, 10:48 PM
If FTC initially had the entire DC license then these waves would be look considerably different. These wheels were probably put into motion a year ago and the momentum wasn't easily stopped. In my estimation, I doubt wave 2 will have anywhere near the piece run that wave one does. I certainly wouldn't make them in those quantities, and I doubt they do. With the money already spent, this is probably a two to three year business model that will not be altered if wave 2 sits. Clearance those things out and move on to the rest of the DCU. I sincerely doubt the entirety of the line hinges on three guys wearing button ups and an uglyass version of Catwoman. They made too huge of a commitment to have that happen.

By wave four, they will HAVE TO make a couple of completely new figures to appeal to more than a nostalgiac cutomer base. I am rooting for these guys to pull it off big time, but I'm not worried about the lackluster wave 2. I need to own a Dr. Fate and Deathstroke.

jwyblejr
Jun 1, '13, 11:16 PM
That said, I supported Emce Trek & POTA and I'll give the same courtesy to FTC if the quality is present. I'll be one of those collectors who wants a set. But many wont, and I worry that the line will run out of steam before we see significant interest in, & production of, other characters.

I don't think it'll run out of steam. Look at how long it took EMCE to get to their new Trek stuff. Heck,look at how long KISS has been chugging along for them. And it's pretty much the same four guys in different outfits.

imp
Jun 1, '13, 11:22 PM
I don't think it'll run out of steam. Look at how long it took EMCE to get to their new Trek stuff. Heck,look at how long KISS has been chugging along for them. And it's pretty much the same four guys in different outfits.

Both KISS and STAR TREK enjoy vastly larger fan-bases than Mego. So your analogy is kind of apples and oranges, but I like your thinking!

enyawd72
Jun 2, '13, 12:15 AM
Both KISS and STAR TREK enjoy vastly larger fan-bases than Mego. So your analogy is kind of apples and oranges, but I like your thinking!

Since he is specifically referring to the properties themselves AS Megos, I'd say his analogy is spot on. Batman is even more popular than either Kiss or Star Trek, so logically Batman MEGOS should do better then Kiss or Trek Megos.

ctc
Jun 2, '13, 8:43 AM
>logically Batman MEGOS should do better then Kiss or Trek Megos

....except that they don't look like any recent versions of the characters. Although I suspect they'll do better than Trek, the KISS army is pretty dedicated, so I could see those lines doing surprisingly well.

Don C.

VintageMike
Jun 2, '13, 8:57 AM
One thing that gives me hope (even though it just wasn't a line I was into) was how deep they went they went with Space 1999, going five waves. If we get five waves (or more) of Batman the character selection/outfits should start getting a bit deeper.

monitor_ep
Jun 2, '13, 9:14 AM
I do not want the ReMegos to look like the DCnU. I stopped getting comics because of that mess. I want my ReMegos to look like the classic versions of the DCU.

Mego-Amigo
Jun 2, '13, 9:28 AM
If they don't look like the classic versions of the DCU I will stop buying. Not wasting my money on comics or figures based on that worthless stuff.

PNGwynne
Jun 2, '13, 11:45 AM
Look at how long it took EMCE to get to their new Trek stuff.

lol Do you really want to hold that up as an example, considering the cancelled figures, production changes, & switch to TNG?

imp
Jun 2, '13, 12:09 PM
Batman is even more popular than either Kiss or Star Trek, so logically Batman MEGOS should do better then Kiss or Trek Megos.

I don't believe BATMAN collectors are as tethered to the 1970s (Mego era) as are KISS and STAR TREK collectors. Because the latter two properties enjoyed their heyday alongside Mego, I suspect there is a stronger connection to Mego-style toys. The BATMAN property, conversely, transcends any era.

Because we all love Mego, it's hard for some to grok that these charmingly goofy, oven mitt-wearing wonders DO NOT APPEAL to toys- and comics-collectors outside the Mego community. Sure, there may be more BATMAN fans than KISS or STAR TREK fans, but the popularity comparison is to Mego Batman, not to All Batman. MEGO fans do not outnumber STAR TREK or KISS fans. Not by tens of thousands.

Here's a hard truth: A casual, modern-day Batman collector will not necessarily purchase Mego Batman stuff. Mego figures are simply too silly for a lot of comic bookies and for those who grew up after the 1970s. I talk to guys like this at my local comic shop nearly every week, and they won't touch a Mego doll. On a lark, some Batman collectors might pick up a Mego Batman figure, but remember: We're discussing the Series 2 FTC assortment: There is no "Batman" figure here!

Nope, just a 1970s-looking Bruce Wayne, another guy in a Goodwill suit, and a couple of second-tier villains. :googly:

PNGwynne
Jun 2, '13, 12:46 PM
Second-tier? Ouch. To be fair--esp. in comparison to wave-mate Joker--Riddler is more B-List than either Catwoman or Penguin. Mego sold scads of Penguin back in the day, even if he's been eclipsed by Two-Face and (!?) Mr. Freeze now...

thunderbolt
Jun 2, '13, 12:59 PM
sorry, but not one of the Bat-villains that appeared in both the 1966 movies and Burton and or Nolan films can be considered second tier.

Figuremod73
Jun 2, '13, 1:01 PM
I've always considered The Penguin just below the Joker and Catwoman myself. In the classic batman books he was always a good read.

imp
Jun 2, '13, 1:12 PM
Oh, please. Joker is in a class all by himself. Joker owns "top-tier" designation, regardless of era or iteration.

Riddler, Penguin, Catwoman and Two-Face are all second tier. For a younger generation, Bane and Harley Quinn are in that list. IMO, other Batman villains are D-List. Killer Croc. Ras Al-Guhl. Clayface. Etc.

Man, you guys are sensitive. Thicken up, kids! :grin:

thunderbolt
Jun 2, '13, 1:15 PM
not sensitive at all, I just don't agree with your downgrading of two villains that consistently get merchandising and lots of air time in cartoons and movies. Heck, Penguin even got more West episodes than the Joker.

PNGwynne
Jun 2, '13, 1:31 PM
Harley Quinn--beloved, but a hench-moll--B-List? Ra's al Ghul, D-list? Imp, You've either got to acknowledge the composite influence & merchandising of the foes, or go strictly by the comics. You can't have it both ways lol.

Perhaps FTC should do a Prof. Pyg reMego :muh:.

And believe me, as a champion fan of O. C. Cobblepot, Capt. Marvel, & Aquaman--I have a very thick skin.

imp
Jun 2, '13, 1:43 PM
not sensitive at all, I just don't agree with your downgrading of two villains that consistently get merchandising and lots of air time in cartoons and movies. Heck, Penguin even got more West episodes than the Joker.

Movies and Cartoons? Okay, Joker was the villain in the first Tim Burton Batman movie. (Many of us would like to forget the Penguin in the second Burton flick.) Joker was arguably the best part of the Nolan Dark Knight Trilogy (not a Penguin in sight, BTW). Joker was the principal villain in Batman: The Animated Series and was the villain in the Batman Beyond movie.

Comics? Penguin has never had a story as significant as Miller's The Dark Knight Returns. That was Joker. Catwoman has never been the baddie in something like Moore's The Killing Joke. That was Joker.

You guys can argue all you want, but the fact remains: Joker stands alone as the #1 top Batman villain, and everyone else is in a constant race for second place. :grin:

PNGwynne
Jun 2, '13, 1:53 PM
Well, if they're so secondary, then they're perfectly placed in wave TWO. How you think Riddler rates Wave 1, by comparison, confuses me. Riddler is often depicted as a Joker wanna-be.

The Toyroom
Jun 2, '13, 1:55 PM
Joker is and always will be #1. Riddler, Penguin, Catwoman (the '66 series is still influential to this day) are his next level of most famous foes with Two-Face and Mr. Freeze joining that faction. After that Harkey Quinn and Bane (ugh) have probably made the most impressions on the collective consciousness of the average Joe.

Everyone else after that, including the much beloved Ras Al Ghul, Killer Moth (!), Clayface, Man-Bat et al are inconsequential as far as the general public is concerned.

Just like Spider-Man....everyone knows The Green Goblin, Dr. Octopus and Venom but no one really cares or knows about the Kingpin, the Shocker, Man-Wolf, the Scorpion, etc. besides those who actively follow comics lore. As far as the general public is concerned they not even exist. Which is why you can have Jamie Foxx as Electro looking nothing like most fans want him to look like in the upcoming Spider-Man film. They're catering to the general public, not the fans.

imp
Jun 2, '13, 1:57 PM
Well, if they're so secondary, then they're perfectly placed in wave TWO. How you think Riddler rates Wave 1, by comparison, confuses me. Riddler is often depicted as a Joker wanna-be.

Riddler does not "rate Wave 1" to me. My point is that they are ALL pretenders to Joker's throne. :yeah:

thunderbolt
Jun 2, '13, 1:57 PM
so, your top tier has only one villain, and you are the one who introduced tiers into this,? I noticed you didn't even try to argue about Catwoman. She's appeared in both modern Movie series, and the 66 show. I just don't see the Joker sitting alone at the top, the 66 movie set the top 4 at Joker, Penguin, Riddler and Catwoman and its been that way ever since. Ohh, and Catwoman has carried a long term comic series two of them running 94 and 83 issues, can the Joker say that? Nope. All he had was a very short series in the 70's. Sure he gets used a lot for shock value bits like killing a lame Robin or beating up Babs then taking pics of her. Now that this thread has been derailed by this nonsense I am done. Toodles

imp
Jun 2, '13, 2:09 PM
so, your top tier has only one villain, and you are the one who introduced tiers into this,?

I didn't "introduce tiers into this", I simply made a joke about Penguin and Catwoman in the context of desirability among potential buyers who are Batman fans but don't collect Mego. Again, we're talking about the Series 2 FTC assortment. Which is to say, NOT BATMAN and NOT DESIRABLE to non-Mego collectors. :smiley12:

PNGwynne
Jun 2, '13, 2:16 PM
Perhaps, but bear in mind this is your thread about wave assortments, not "absolute " villain rankings.

rlkrefft
Jun 2, '13, 3:07 PM
I think it's a great wave. I love Penguin and Catwoman and I will for sure buy them. I don't understand everyone who compares these two to the Joker, or think they are not as great as Joker or Riddler. Penguin was a huge seller in the original line. He and Joker were produced through out the run (Riddler was cancelled long before Penguin) it is so silly to discuss who is more popular. Joker will always be #1, but it would be a very boring Batman universe if Joker was the only foe. Thats what makes Batman so great (his many fantastic list of bad guys) also, I might add that had Penguin and Riddler been in wave 1 and Joker in wave 2 you guys would still be calling this a weak follow up wave because there is no Batman or Robin. I'm buying the whole wave 2 just as I did wave 1. Now the next wave I'm only getting Batgirl. Never liked the removable cowl or mask Batman and Robin figures. I never saw a reason for them, especially if we are going to have Bruce and Dick figures already.

Mego-Amigo
Jun 2, '13, 3:51 PM
In the public view probably the Joker is the best known villain but arguing about who is the best is silly. It is only a matter of one's opinion who is the best. I know Penguin and Bane are popular Batman villains but I despise both of them. Joker and Catwoman have always been my favorites followed closely by Catman, Riddler and Man-Bat but who cares what I think. The next guy has a different line-up and gets upset if you disagree with him. That's why this kind of thread is a waste of time. Now as for the Figures wave 2 assortment... I do like the Catwoman ( though I prefer the purple dress version ) because this is the one Mego originally made. Hopefully other versions of her will follow. The remaining three figures in this wave are super lame in my opinion but I will buy them in support of the line no matter what Benjamin or anyone else here thinks about it. If this wave kills the line then so be it. We can say we did our best to support it.

PNGwynne
Jun 2, '13, 4:11 PM
That's just wooly-headed. If this "super-lame" wave "kills the line", then FTC's and "our" $$ will have been wasted.

It's in everyone's best interest to solicit a marketable wave--that's the basis of discussion in this thread, despite contentious tangents.

Mego-Amigo
Jun 2, '13, 5:19 PM
Agreed. I was only being sarcastic about wave 2 killing the line. I don't think it will. And " super lame ' is just my opinion.

powersthatbe
Jun 2, '13, 9:29 PM
in my opinion,frank gorshin's riddler was the number one villian on the adam west show.he was even in the first episode.

MIB41
Jun 2, '13, 10:35 PM
Just my two cents... Wave 2 looks like it really only consists of Catwoman and Penguin if your looking at "new" product. Anyone who wants a "Bruce" or Dick" in those outfits can order the heads and outfits right now on the CTVT site. So Wave 2 is mostly existing stock getting recycled. And the RC Batman and RM Robin for Wave 3 will be recycled from those figures and the Batman outfits. So there is alot of shuffling of existing product in making these figures. Right now I think FTC' only risk to investment is the heads and outfits (which are pretty cheap to make). The bodies are most likely getting produced in bulk to host whatever lines they want. Be it WGSH, KISS, Dukes, "66 Batman, etc. So whatever doesn't sell, they'll just part out the heads and outfits like they're doing with those supposed "successful" KISS lines and use those bodies on a different line. Who knows how many KISS figures will now be Batman figures? :smiley1:

I think this be a fallback strategy on this next attempt at WGSH as well. They're probably just making so many heads and outfits and rotating stock on the bodies. For what they charge, they should be making money easily. And while it's fun to see someone taking another stab at the WGSH line, let's be honest. You can reproduce that toy from 1974, but you can't reproduce that 1974 marketplace. Which is what IMP has been talking about. He made a top notch, quality hard back book buried in huge pics of the classic WGSH. A wet dream for us hard core fans. But guess what? Nobody bought it. Sure. Most of us here bought them up and celebrated them on the day it came out. But this forum does not a marketplace make. So if a book that covered every major superhero from the Mego universe wouldn't sell, why would repro-figures of the most common characters do any better? Plus I guess for me the bigger question is, who from that original marketplace doesn't already have these? And those who have come along since then have likely already picked these characters up. In addition, with so much interest in the '66 Batman line, why would anyone want to sink $25.00 plus into figures that have been easily available in it's vintage form?

I think that nostalgic feeling will burn out real fast after a couple of hundred dollars wasted on common figures. So I doubt this line will blaze any new trails in sales. I think FTC is simply following the Hasbro business model from the 40th Anniversary Joes and using overstock to make new product. That's likely why there seems to be so many figures being pushed for this initial line. FTC is hoping to get that overstock of unsold bodies out of their warehouse so they can start using their next shipment of bodies for these other licenses. There's no telling how many people will be getting a tightly strung Mego Batman in a permanent "I gotta pee" stance. :please_y:

HardyGirl
Jun 2, '13, 11:00 PM
As a person who knows very little about the comics, and who's knowledge is mostly on 60s Batman, and both Filmation series, here's my take:

I think FTC wanted to have all of the Fab 4, Batman and Robin and SI Bruce and Dick for 2 reasons:

From a collectors standpoint: There may be a lot of people who never had the SI figures, and having Batman, Robin and the Fab 4 are just essential.

From a kid's standpoint: If the collectors, (or even just the folks who will say, "Hey I remember those as a kid"), get their kids into these, it adds to the play value of Batman and Robin having the SI Bruce and Dick and the Fab 4. The other figures when they come, are secondary, (MY opinion, don't jump on me!).

I'm sure there are those who will disagree, (so what else is new?), but even though I don't want any of Wave 2, (I already have a Mego Pengy, and I only like the Julie Newmar Catwoman, and don't really care about the SI guys), but I'm glad these figures are available to whoever may want them. It's great to see Retro alive and well, and I really do hope kids will get into these. (I know, but I can hope)

LONG LIVE RETRO REPRO FIGURES!

Mego-Amigo
Jun 2, '13, 11:41 PM
I just paid $375.00 for a case fresh MIB Mego Joker. About three weeks later I read that FTC has acquired the rights to reproduce Mego Batman characters and the Joker will be in the first wave for around $25.00. Had I known this I personally would have saved my $375.00 and put it on the entire line of FTC Mego WGSH repros. I could care less about how valuable the originals are now or will be in the future. I only care about having the exact same figures I had as a kid in some kind of nice packaging to display and enjoy. I know of other friends on this forum that feel the exact same way. Not everyone here has the money or is willing to spend it if they do on high grade originals. I know I am in the minority here but I for one am very happy that Figures is producing the exact same figures that Mego did. Now I can have all of them case fresh new without having to spend thousands of dollars on them as I have done in the past.

garfoot
Jun 3, '13, 2:33 AM
I just paid $375.00 for a case fresh MIB Mego Joker. About three weeks later I read that FTC has acquired the rights to reproduce Mego Batman characters and the Joker will be in the first wave for around $25.00. Had I known this I personally would have saved my $375.00 and put it on the entire line of FTC Mego WGSH repros. I could care less about how valuable the originals are now or will be in the future. I only care about having the exact same figures I had as a kid in some kind of nice packaging to display and enjoy. I know of other friends on this forum that feel the exact same way. Not everyone here has the money or is willing to spend it if they do on high grade originals. I know I am in the minority here but I for one am very happy that Figures is producing the exact same figures that Mego did. Now I can have all of them case fresh new without having to spend thousands of dollars on them as I have done in the past.

I completely agree with you, I have always wanted the WGSH figures I owned as a child. I am married with 2 boys and don't have the money to spend hundreds on 1 figure. I was thrilled to learn of Figures remaking these Megos again. Like you, I don't mind if they're originals or not, I just want to display them in my office. It's about the memories more then resale value. I want Figures to make all the DC Megos again, and don't care what assortments they make first. If we only get 20 figures so be it, but I will support this line until the end. In the end I am just happy to have some of my childhood toys again to share with my kids.:grin:

garfoot
Jun 3, '13, 2:37 AM
I just watched an old Mego commercial on YouTube and got excited for this line to be released.

MIB41
Jun 3, '13, 6:08 AM

That makes very little sense. You paid $375.00 for a 40 year old toy in mint condition in a mint box. If you just wanted the figure, you could have paid a price similar to these new figures and had a vintage one. The fact that you paid $375.00 tells me you wanted an original Mego in mint shape, in the original box. And since you're stating a cheaper reproduction figure would have fit your tastes, why didn't you chase after all of the mint vintage Jokers in reproduction packaging selling for incredibly cheap prices? So I don't see the logic in dumping that kind of money since you're saying having a reproduction makes no difference to you. That not apples to apples on any scale.

imp
Jun 3, '13, 10:11 AM
You can reproduce that toy from 1974, but you can't reproduce that 1974 marketplace. Which is what IMP has been talking about. He made a top notch, quality hard back book buried in huge pics of the classic WGSH. A wet dream for us hard core fans. But guess what? Nobody bought it.

Oh so true. And these boards have plenty of "supporters" who talk a big game but never actually come through. "I'm going to buy every single item the very first day, no matter what they put out! I don't care! I'll buy everything!" These are the same people who chime into a Marketplace thread juuuuust AFTER the seller confirms the item is sold, "Oh, good score! I totally would have bought that if I had seen it first."

Yeah. Okay. Whatever. :googly:

Scousebadger
Jun 3, '13, 10:21 AM
Oh so true. And these boards have plenty of "supporters" who talk a big game but never actually come through. "I'm going to buy every single item the very first day, no matter what they put out! I don't care! I'll buy everything!" These are the same people who chime into a Marketplace thread juuuuust AFTER the seller confirms the item is sold, "Oh, good score! I totally would have bought that if I had seen it first."

Hey, people will be people.

No-one ever said we made any sense :smiley1:

rjm118
Jun 3, '13, 11:19 AM
I think everyone should chill and see what happens, obviously these arent super expensive to make by FTC since they have many of the parts already available, the true test will be in sales. If theres even a slight demand, we may see waves of different characters and characters never released by Mego.

Im not thrilled with wave 2 but Catwoman(oddly enough) was one of the Mego's I remember most vividly so Im looking forward to her and the Penguin, I never was interested in the Secret Identities and already own repro ones but we need to support the line in order to see more made.

MIB41
Jun 3, '13, 11:39 AM

You speak the truth brotha! If there's one universal reason why companies can not stay afloat in the Mego marketplace, it's because this survey-style enthusiasm does not necessarily translate into money on the counter when the product gets made. I've lost count of how many times people went goo-goo over a prototype only to rake it over the coals when the actual product came out. Or to just say, "meh" and move on. It's with that perspective, I certainly have come to understand the value of pre-orders and why some companies decide to make (or pull) product based on those numbers. That's why I'm still not sold on just how "vast" this Batman '66 crowd really is. That too could be another red herring. It's hard to fathom so much merchandise getting made for what amounts to an untested license in this demographic. This will be further tested by what FTC does with this WGSH experiment. Personally I think they would have been better served to have gone after the hard-to-get figures instead of falling into that nostalgic trap of making the most common ones like Mego did when they started the line. You can't duplicate that first experience. When Mego put out Batman and Robin, that was a first. These days it's predictable. And since this is aimed towards a specific demographic not involving third graders, I don't think the rules of having to lead with the flagship heroes applies. The majority of those consumers already have these characters... in spades!

hedrap
Jun 3, '13, 12:30 PM
Just my two cents... Wave 2 looks like it really only consists of Catwoman and Penguin if your looking at "new" product. Anyone who wants a "Bruce" or Dick" in those outfits can order the heads and outfits right now on the CTVT site. So Wave 2 is mostly existing stock getting recycled. And the RC Batman and RM Robin for Wave 3 will be recycled from those figures and the Batman outfits. So there is alot of shuffling of existing product in making these figures. Right now I think FTC' only risk to investment is the heads and outfits (which are pretty cheap to make). The bodies are most likely getting produced in bulk to host whatever lines they want. Be it WGSH, KISS, Dukes, "66 Batman, etc. So whatever doesn't sell, they'll just part out the heads and outfits like they're doing with those supposed "successful" KISS lines and use those bodies on a different line. Who knows how many KISS figures will now be Batman figures? :smiley1:

I think this be a fallback strategy on this next attempt at WGSH as well. They're probably just making so many heads and outfits and rotating stock on the bodies. For what they charge, they should be making money easily....That's likely why there seems to be so many figures being pushed for this initial line. FTC is hoping to get that overstock of unsold bodies out of their warehouse so they can start using their next shipment of bodies for these other licenses.

Exactly. That's a nicely detailed version of the FTC business model I tried to imply. They have new money locked up in the license fees and tooling, but the overhead is nowhere near as large as people are assuming.

When you look at the extraneous lines they're producing, it's an appeal to the larger celebrity doll market. Dallas, Dukes, Gilligan...they know that market size and won't have to renew the license after an initial run. So whatever doesn't sell becomes repurposed or sold in pieces. All you have to do is look at CTVT over the years to see their stock eventually does deplenish.

Having Wave 2 close to Wave 1 is meant to keep building attention in Diamond. How may times have we seen a nice, limited release with no immediate followup? So what's the cost in a Wave 3 of Superman, Clark, Supergirl and an 8" Zod, using the 12" Stamp? Fabric and one headsculpt conversion.

So if a book that covered every major superhero from the Mego universe wouldn't sell, why would repro-figures of the most common characters do any better?

The common problem between the book and the figure is the price and target audience.

What Doc understood with RA, is you have to widen the scope to get these into the hands of kids, but pricepoint is a killer.

ReMego's have the aesthetic appeal of a young-kid toy, but the price of a collector-figure. That's a big disconnect to parents, and as PNG pointed, even to people at comic stores.

To keep it Megoey, the price has to come down for parents. If not, then the design has to upgrade to ZICA. Rock and a hard place.

imp
Jun 3, '13, 12:50 PM
…this survey-style enthusiasm does not necessarily translate into money on the counter when the product gets made.

AMEN.

I don't think the rules of having to lead with the flagship heroes applies. The majority of those consumers already have these characters... in spades!

Clearly you and I are of like mind on a lot of these issues. It's fun to armchair quarterback this whole thing, and time will certainly tell. Here's hoping FTC's deep pockets and theoretically low production costs allow them to leap-frog any unpopular character choices.

The common problem between the book and the figure is the price and target audience.

YEP. Plenty of folks here freaked out over the price of the book. For a long time, $25 was a hard sell. (Heck, even $20 in person at toy conventions!) At the risk of redundancy, the inconvenient truth here is twofold: The Mego collecting community is both small and… frugal (to put it nicely).

I also love people who come into this thread and berate us for hashing it out and expressing our opinions. BREAKING: That's what this forum is here for! :googly: :hello:

Mego-Amigo
Jun 3, '13, 1:49 PM
That makes very little sense. You paid $375.00 for a 40 year old toy in mint condition in a mint box. If you just wanted the figure, you could have paid a price similar to these new figures and had a vintage one. The fact that you paid $375.00 tells me you wanted an original Mego in mint shape, in the original box. And since you're stating a cheaper reproduction figure would have fit your tastes, why didn't you chase after all of the mint vintage Jokers in reproduction packaging selling for incredibly cheap prices? So I don't see the logic in dumping that kind of money since you're saying having a reproduction makes no difference to you. That not apples to apples on any scale.

It makes a lot of sense. I have a few loose Megos to enjoy for what they are but my primary collection is very high grade MIB/MOC figures. I am not interested in buying vintage figures that have been pieced together from old parts or with repro parts or packaging. I am a very picky collector that is only interested in figures untouched by human hands since they left the factory and in prime condition. That being said and since originals are extremely rare in the condition I Want them and very expensive if you find them, I am very willing to accept brand new perfect case fresh $25.00 figures over very expensive originals.

EMCE Hammer
Jun 3, '13, 1:55 PM
I also love people who come into this thread and berate us for hashing it out and expressing our opinions. BREAKING: That's what this forum is here for! :googly: :hello:

Disagree/debate = "Berate?" Man, you guys are sensitive. Thicken up, kids! :grin:

imp
Jun 3, '13, 2:04 PM
Disagree/debate = "Berate?" Man, you guys are sensitive. Thicken up, kids! :grin:

LOL Touché!

enyawd72
Jun 3, '13, 3:01 PM

What are you basing that on exactly? How would you even know what somebody buys or not? You have a crystal ball or something?

I'm one of those supporters who DID buy your book the day it came out at Barnes and Nobles. I even bid on some of your stuff in the Hakes auction and won one figure. You're welcome. :wink:

MIB41
Jun 3, '13, 3:07 PM
It makes a lot of sense. I have a few loose Megos to enjoy for what they are but my primary collection is very high grade MIB/MOC figures. I am not interested in buying vintage figures that have been pieced together from old parts or with repro parts or packaging. I am a very picky collector that is only interested in figures untouched by human hands since they left the factory and in prime condition. That being said and since originals are extremely rare in the condition I Want them and very expensive if you find them, I am very willing to accept brand new perfect case fresh $25.00 figures over very expensive originals.

http://megomuseum.com/mmgallery/files/3/7/4/bale-ful.gif (http://megomuseum.com/mmgallery/showimage.php?i=23179)

40 year old figure...Brand new figure
Mego...FTC
BMW...Volkswagon

There's also alot of freshly packed merchandise in the dollar store thats never been touched too. Hopefully your definition of "quality" is measured by more than the adhesive on a backer card.

EMCE Hammer
Jun 3, '13, 3:16 PM
Come on guys, if someone needs a Hammer Hug just ask! A couple of parts box peg warmers aren't going to kill the new super hero line from FTC. If the re-Bats don't interest you, just hang loose until something comes along that does.

monitor_ep
Jun 3, '13, 3:30 PM
Well I have put my money were my mouth is. I have spent a lot of money rebuying the playsets, vehicles, and screen print version of megos. I am cannot wait for all three waves of FTC Batman. I am even starting to buy the Monsters series just to add more the fold. Since Frankenstein in the DC Universe he looks good at the Hall of Justice. My Wayne Foundation of looking full with the Mego/Mattel figures.

I just got in the first Screen Print version of Catwoman. This is the closet version to her brief comic book appearance in the pirate outfit.

imp
Jun 3, '13, 3:35 PM
What are you basing that on exactly? How would you even know what somebody buys or not? You have a crystal ball or something?

Who needs a crystal ball? I'm one of the people who tried to sell a decent, Mego WGSH-related product to this community. Consider this: If every WGSH fan, who was a member of the Mego Museum Message Boards back in 2007, bought one copy of the book upon its release, the entire print-run would have sold out on DAY ONE.

Did that happen? Nope. In fact, it took about four years to sell a very limited quantity. Four years!

Now, six years later, there are nearly twice as many board members. Yet I imagine the sell-through numbers haven't climbed very much. I read these boards, too. In this community, there are not a lot of vintage Mego WGSH collectors to begin with, only a percentage of whom will actually buy something Mego or WGSH-related. This is based on experience, not Palm Reading.

I'm one of those supporters who DID buy your book the day it came out at Barnes and Nobles. I even bid on some of your stuff in the Hakes auction and won one figure. You're welcome. :wink:

I wasn't naming anyone specific, but it seems as if I touched a nerve with you. Sincerely, I appreciate you buying the book, and I'm pleased you bid on some auctions. But if you're one of the few who actually puts your money where your mouth is, why be defensive?

jds1911a1
Jun 3, '13, 4:17 PM
Second only to Action Jackson, that Bruce Wayne head sculpt is just about the ugliest thing Mego ever produced. :googly:

Actually it's a pretty good interpretation of the 50-60's Bruce wayne's look in the comics

enyawd72
Jun 3, '13, 4:23 PM
I wasn't naming anyone specific, but it seems as if I touched a nerve with you. Sincerely, I appreciate you buying the book, and I'm pleased you bid on some auctions. But if you're one of the few who actually puts your money where your mouth is, why be defensive?

I guess I'm reading too much into your comments...I suspect, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, that the amount of hard work and dedication that went into your book being met with less than success left you feeling a bit let down by the Mego collecting community? Perhaps even a little bitter and resentful. I understand that. We all want to be recognized and appreciated for our passions. I'm sorry that your book underperformed to your expectations...I think it's one of the best toy related books ever written. I truly mean that. Regardless of how many copies it sold, it was and is an amazing acheivement, and you should be very proud.

MIB41
Jun 3, '13, 4:47 PM
I think it's one of the best toy related books ever written. I truly mean that. Regardless of how many copies it sold, it was and is an amazing acheivement, and you should be very proud.

I couldn't agree more! I prize this book so much I don't even keep it with my other printed material. I keep it next to my most prized collectibles. So in the event of a flood, fire, or other disaster, these go with ME. And there isn't another Mego book out there that touches this. Not even in the same zip code. No... Strike that. Not even in the same universe. It's a stand alone piece of historical retrospect that gives these figures the love they so richly deserve. Without question I can say this to Ben - THANK YOU. Your efforts did NOT go unnoticed and are immensely appreciated by many people who did drop the dollars and have never regretted it for a moment. Anyone who reads it or even just glances through it, can immediately see the love you have for this craft. No one will ever do it more justice. I hope one day to get my copy signed by you. That's all that is missing. You are an invaluable part of the Mego legacy. Long after we're gone, this book will live on for future generations to enjoy. Now THAT'S a legacy to be proud of. :yes:

EMCE Hammer
Jun 3, '13, 4:56 PM
Well, I don't like being lumped-in with a bunch of cheapskates. I bought two copies of the book; one for myself and one for my son who was illiterate at the time:-) In my mind the connection between sales of your bar-setting book and FTC figures is a bit tenuous. Certainly there's overlap in the audience, but a meticulous book about collectible action figures from the 70s vs. remakes of figures from the 70s isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison in my mind.

PNGwynne
Jun 3, '13, 4:59 PM
I try to keep in mind that there is a broad range of 1/9-scale "Mego" enthusiasts here: some want packaged, others loose; some minty origiinal, some refurbished with repro parts. Some can spend a lot; many cannot. Some love all aspects of the "Mego" format--some only want to recapture bits of childhood memories.

It's all good! But it's a challenge to tap into these varied interests to support a line, a book, even a sculpt.

Regarding Wave 2, I relish the idea of them in the same manner I did Emce's Trek: I can play, display, & customize them in a way I would not, with my vintage stuff. But I stand by my reservations expressed earlier about the marketablility of this wave in support of a "long haul." And that's from someone who likes each of the figures.

MIB41
Jun 3, '13, 5:02 PM
I try to keep in mind that there is a broad range of 1/9-scale "Mego" enthusiasts here: some want packaged, others loose; some minty origiinal, some refurbished with repro parts. Some can spend a lot; many cannot. Some love all aspects of the "Mego" format--some only want to recapture bits of childhood memories.

It's all good! But it's a challenge to tap into these varied interests to support a line, a book, even a sculpt.

Regarding Wave 2, I relish the idea of them in the same manner I did Emce's Trek: I can play, display, & customize them in a way I would not, with my vintage stuff. But I stand by my reservations expressed earlier about the marketablility of this wave in support of a "long haul." And that's from someone who likes each of the figures.

Well said! :yes:

imp
Jun 3, '13, 5:12 PM
You guys are very generous and complimentary and sweet and I REALLY DO know the book was (and remains) appreciated by those who got it. I only brought up the book in response to enyawd72 questioning the validity of my assessment that this community is actually soooo much smaller than many of us realize and/or wish it were. I wasn't kudos-fishing, and I don't wish to derail the topic at hand -- FTC's Series 2 Assortment.

I feel like I have learned a LOT from this thread, and so many great points have come up. I feel pretty confident that:

The Series 2 Assortment kinda stinks. Not totally stinks. Just kinda stinks.
Not a whole lot of people will buy all of Series 2 or Series 3, but…
Some people assert they will COLLECT 'EM ALL.
Neither 1 or 2 above matters. Given low tooling costs and their investment and commitment, FTC will manufacture Series 3 and beyond.
After the Batman-related waves wrap up, we will get (at least some) other DC characters, perhaps even some that Mego never produced.
You guys are a lot of fun to 'talk shop' with.

I hope this line is top-quality and enjoys a long and healthy life. I hope the line is so good, FTC is able to procure the MARVEL COMICS license.

As Stan Lee might say, BRING ON THE BAD GUYS! :drool_y:

PNGwynne
Jun 3, '13, 5:13 PM
I couldn't agree more! I prize this book so much I don't even keep it with my other printed material... I hope one day to get my copy signed by you. That's all that is missing. You are an invaluable part of the Mego legacy. Long after we're gone, this book will live on for future generations to enjoy. Now THAT'S a legacy to be proud of. :yes:

That's exactly what I did! My worn copy is for reference reading, my signed one is next to my DC Archives.

hedrap
Jun 3, '13, 6:50 PM
The Series 2 Assortment kinda stinks. Not totally stinks. Just kinda stinks.
Not a whole lot of people will buy all of Series 2 or Series 3, but…
Some people assert they will COLLECT 'EM ALL.
Neither 1 or 2 above matters. Given low tooling costs and their investment and commitment, FTC will manufacture Series 3 and beyond.
After the Batman-related waves wrap up, we will get (at least some) other DC characters, perhaps even some that Mego never produced.
You guys are a lot of fun to 'talk shop' with.

What hurts Mego now, is what hurt it back in '78. Rate of inflation erupted during stagflation. From '72-'78, the price went from 2.00-5.00 USD. In 2013 dollars, that would be a figure line you started buying in 2007 for 11.00 is now selling at 18.00. When Star Wars came out, they were 1.50 USD, which is about 5.00 USD today. So a parents choice? Three figures for one.

If I was FTC, I would price to accept a loss on the replicas peg to inflation and mailed 'em in a poly just like how in 1982, I used to find a bin of Falcons in Christmas Tree Shops for seventy cents. If you want the carded figure, it's extra. That puts the price in the 15 and under range, and the only way to truly find out what is the real barrier.

Cut the frills. Cut the collector's nostalgia and treating these as works of art. Custom work is art, manufactured are supposed to be playable. Get back to the Rack Toys mentality and make it competitive.

...and I don't see how they get the Marvel license. The opportunity for DC was created by Matty dropping the ball. If FTC DC shows life, I would think Hasbro would be more inclined to do their version of Retro Action.

imp
Jun 3, '13, 7:39 PM
Cut the frills. Cut the collector's nostalgia and treating these as works of art. Custom work is art, manufactured are supposed to be playable. Get back to the Rack Toys mentality and make it competitive.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but FTC only courts the Adult Collector market. To my awareness, they have never marketed their products to kids, and they don't try to make "playable" toys, so there is no "Rack Toys mentality" for them to "get back to."

Or are you merely suggesting how you would do it if you were a toy manufacturer?

...and I don't see how they get the Marvel license. The opportunity for DC was created by Matty dropping the ball. If FTC DC shows life, I would think Hasbro would be more inclined to do their version of Retro Action.

I don't know that Hasbro has done much better in this space (i.e. 1/6th scale) than the other BIG toy companies. Toy Biz Famous Covers had a long run, but do you remember those "DC Super Heroes" figures Hasbro came out with about ten years ago? Aquaman, Green Lantern, Green Arrow, and then a couple of Target exclusives, Batman and Superman? The latter were tricky to find since they were store exclusives, but man the former three? Those were some mad peg-warmers! Hasbro may not be in any hurry to go back to that well. :smiley1:

PNGwynne
Jun 3, '13, 8:25 PM
I think you mean 1/9 scale? (Because Hasbro invented the action figure when it introduced 1/6-scale GI Joe in the '60s.)

Regarding their recent endeavors, Hasbro's Marvel Signature 9" line ran several waves in 2007/2008.

garfoot
Jun 3, '13, 8:33 PM
I liked the Famous Covers series,especially the artwork on the boxes. The Target exclusives were not too bad either. I agree with you that Hasbro might not be in much of a hurry to let loose the 8" retro Marvels anytime soon. But if FTC does well with the REMEGOS who knows?

Mego-Amigo
Jun 3, '13, 8:47 PM
http://megomuseum.com/mmgallery/files/3/7/4/bale-ful.gif (http://megomuseum.com/mmgallery/showimage.php?i=23179)

40 year old figure...Brand new figure
Mego...FTC
BMW...Volkswagon

There's also alot of freshly packed merchandise in the dollar store thats never been touched too. Hopefully your definition of "quality" is measured by more than the adhesive on a backer card.

I'll decide whether the FTC WGSH figures are quality or not when I get them. Having original 40 year old perfect figures is not that important to me. Just want the same figures in nice packaging.

madmarva
Jun 3, '13, 10:05 PM
With Diamond carrying Figures.com products, it will be interesting to see if they show off anything to retailers at Diamond's booth at the San Diego Comic Com.

It would be a great place to debut the protos of the 66 figures and some of their other lines.

imp
Jun 3, '13, 10:24 PM
I think you mean 1/9 scale? (Because Hasbro invented the action figure when it introduced 1/6-scale GI Joe in the '60s.)

Yes. 1/9th scale. Thank you.

Regarding their recent endeavors, Hasbro's Marvel Signature 9" line ran several waves in 2007/2008.

I somehow completely missed this line. Never heard of them. A quick Google search later…They appear a whole lot nicer than the ToyBiz Famous Cover series. Is that fair to say? How many characters did Hasbro produce in those two years? Are they popular among collectors?

MIB41
Jun 3, '13, 10:25 PM

I think the 1/9th scale has the biggest translation problem because of the generation gap created after Mego closed it's doors in 1982. When this occurred, there was no one left to make this scale. And actually Mego had already quit that scale before they ever went under. And if you're really looking at the 1/9th scale as a viable product sharing space in the boy toy isle, that actually ceased in the late 70's after Star Wars took over everything. So by the time Famous Covers got here, 20 years had elapsed, which covers basically two generations of kids who grew up seeing only 3 and 6 inch figures. And even after this reentry, the 1/9th scale figure looked more like an oddity on the shelves than a game changer the way Mego broke out with Action Jackson. But unlike the days when Mego was breaking new ground, there was no pent up need for this scale when Famous Covers came out. The only ones who seem to want them were those original kids, now grown up with money to buy them. Then Hasbro took a shot at it and tried their own "updates" to that concept. They did both DC and Marvel licenses but didn't tip the scales with their offerings either. Now enter an underground movement led by our beloved Dr. Mego. He begins manufacturing reproduction parts online for those original Megos. And that's a story that could take pages all by itself to properly document. But long story short, Paul jumps through many hoops of fire to make this a viable resource for collectors.

But it's through this underground movement that Paul's example spurs others to start their own companies. And if you think about it, that's where it remains to this day. Mego style figures have never regained that once glorious space on the shelves where they were once the dominant figure. Those days seem just as elusive today as when Famous Covers tried it 15 years ago. The greatest difference is our market has built inroads with EMCE, BBP, FTC, ZICA, and what should have been a prosperous Castaway Toys (no thanks to a scrupulous factory in China). So while I think that original idea of having a cheap and easily affordable figure for anyone should exist, unfortunately we don't enjoy the kind of market share that will ever allow that kind of price point to exist. What's more we, as customers, need to quit courting companies that enjoy pushing the envelope on driving that price point even higher. We have good companies that are selling good product at good prices. Take care of those companies and we take care of the market we do have. :yeah:

hedrap
Jun 3, '13, 10:53 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but FTC only courts the Adult Collector market. To my awareness, they have never marketed their products to kids, and they don't try to make "playable" toys, so there is no "Rack Toys mentality" for them to "get back to."

Or are you merely suggesting how you would do it if you were a toy manufacturer?

Yeah, it's my suggestion for anyone attempting a license launch. As much as we fawn over Kresge cards, colors, carded vs boxed, Abrams and company really didn't give that big a crap. I mean, they didn't even care to get an accurate character guide for the figures. We're the ones caught up in the intricacy, and it doesn't translate.

FTC is the closest to "get it" right now, because they're reappropriating the crap out of everything, which is what every company in the 8" market did at that time to cut costs. So you either go that route, hard, to cut costs, or you go with ZICA and redesign So it can sit next to any hard plastic figure and not seem out of place.

I don't know that Hasbro has done much better in this space (i.e. 1/6th scale) than the other BIG toy companies. Toy Biz Famous Covers had a long run, but do you remember those "DC Super Heroes" figures Hasbro came out with about ten years ago? Aquaman, Green Lantern, Green Arrow, and then a couple of Target exclusives, Batman and Superman? The latter were tricky to find since they were store exclusives, but man the former three? Those were some mad peg-warmers! Hasbro may not be in any hurry to go back to that well. :smiley1:

I loved the Hasbro DC Silver Age figures, but the scale was terrible. I got all the FC figures for my kids because they've come to like them over most Mego figures due to their blank stare.

With Hasbro, I see what you're getting at and you could very well be right, but I was working from the idea FTC makes a go of this and piques their interest as to "how".

What Toy Biz and then Hasbro have repeatedly botched is the design. The Hasbro Signatures are fantastic, but the scale fits nothing but FC. Who made that decision? Why? I know it has something to do with it being easier to shrink molds by equal ratios, but then you have to package them as a way to inform people what you're trying to update. The Signature packaging was a mess, just as it was for their DC Silver Age.

If FTC works, I could see Hasbro talking to them or Doc even moreso since he was trusted by Matty. Maybe then they listen to "scale down the Signature figure to 8-inch and simplify the packaging and you're in business".

...on a side note, the Target/JLA push has me wondering if FTC is working that deal to try and secure peg space before they release new DC figures, and they're using these early waves as bait that the figures will sell. Unless WB has a license uniformity code in work, and doesn't want retro to mingle with New 52,

enyawd72
Jun 3, '13, 11:38 PM
I somehow completely missed this line. Never heard of them. A quick Google search later…They appear a whole lot nicer than the ToyBiz Famous Cover series. Is that fair to say? How many characters did Hasbro produce in those two years? Are they popular among collectors?

I love them...I think the Dr. Octopus is the definitive version of the character in toy form. They made a pretty nice assortment including:
Spider-Man, Black Costume Spider-Man, Iron Spider-Man, Green Goblin, Dr. Octopus, Wolverine, Captain America, Daredevil, First Appearance Spider-Man, Punisher, Cyclops, Mr. Fantastic, Sandman.
The great thing is they use the exact same bodies as the earlier DC figures so you can display them all together.

garfoot
Jun 3, '13, 11:56 PM
I think the 1/9th scale has the biggest translation problem because of the generation gap created after Mego closed it's doors in 1982. When this occurred, there was no one left to make this scale. And actually Mego had already quit that scale before they ever went under. And if you're really looking at the 1/9th scale as a viable product sharing space in the boy toy isle, that actually ceased in the late 70's after Star Wars took over everything. So by the time Famous Covers got here, 20 years had elapsed, which covers basically two generations of kids who grew up seeing only 3 and 6 inch figures. And even after this reentry, the 1/9th scale figure looked more like an oddity on the shelves than a game changer the way Mego broke out with Action Jackson. But unlike the days when Mego was breaking new ground, there was no pent up need for this scale when Famous Covers came out. The only ones who seem to want them were those original kids, now grown up with money to buy them. Then Hasbro took a shot at it and tried their own "updates" to that concept. They did both DC and Marvel licenses but didn't tip the scales with their offerings either. Now enter an underground movement led by our beloved Dr. Mego. He begins manufacturing reproduction parts online for those original Megos. And that's a story that could take pages all by itself to properly document. But long story short, Paul jumps through many hoops of fire to make this a viable resource for collectors.

But it's through this underground movement that Paul's example spurs others to start their own companies. And if you think about it, that's where it remains to this day. Mego style figures have never regained that once glorious space on the shelves where they were once the dominant figure. Those days seem just as elusive today as when Famous Covers tried it 15 years ago. The greatest difference is our market has built inroads with EMCE, BBP, FTC, ZICA, and what should have been a prosperous Castaway Toys (no thanks to a scrupulous factory in China). So while I think that original idea of having a cheap and easily affordable figure for anyone should exist, unfortunately we don't enjoy the kind of market share that will ever allow that kind of price point to exist. What's more we, as customers, need to quit courting companies that enjoy pushing the envelope on driving that price point even higher. We have good companies that are selling good product at good prices. Take care of those companies and we take care of the market we do have. :yeah:

Well said sir!!!

jayraytee
Jun 4, '13, 7:20 AM

Sell the minty $375 MIB Mego Joker on the board or on ebay and buy a ton of these new figures... problem solved.

jayraytee
Jun 4, '13, 7:32 AM

Plus the famous covers figures were elaborately dressed and boxed but freakish in appearance typically. I wanted to revisit Mego so bad when I heard about those coming out, but what I would of done was scale down the packaging and elaborate costumes to lower the price and attempt to fix the horrendous proportion issues... Daredevil could crush his own head in his hand like a walnut. I still bought all of them, but was never happy with them, didn't really flinch when the line ended and eventually sold them all off.

With the Retro Action figures, I bought every figure again and they were much closer to Megos except for the disappointing Mattel body. But I was sad to see that line end and will hold onto my figures for years.

These look to be exactly what we have been waiting all these years for, the packaging is right, the bodies look right, they are new Mego figures for crying out loud. Just like back in the day there were figures I skipped (catwoman, Mxy), figures I bought multiples of, figures I always wanted but never had... and the line went on until Mego eventually closed shop.

Everyone should buy the ones they like, skip the ones they don't.. and be happy they are back.

boynightwing
Jun 4, '13, 8:49 AM
I'm only getting ones I don't already have. This is a good way for me to get the Alter Egos.

Figuremod73
Jun 4, '13, 9:18 AM
I'll do the same. I already have a Batman and Robin but no villians, so I'm happy their releasing those.

These figures will eventually be pieced out like their doing the kiss figures. Theres probably a number of vintage megos out there that could use a suit, shoes, whatever.

monitor_ep
Jun 4, '13, 2:33 PM
I agree When I was kid I could never find a Wonder Woman. I had the rest but WW, now I own a WW I got for under $50. If I knew when FTC was going to release more characters I would have waited. I will buy buy one of each FTC ReMego when they came out. If I can think of a reason to customize them I will buy extras.

I have the Mattel figures, but I have been replacing there bodies with ReMego. The only problem I had was the head, but I customize JLU figures so making a neck for the figures was simple for me. Now I have more character in my collection. Soon I will have more since I have decided to start customizing Megos.

garfoot
Jun 4, '13, 5:00 PM
I wish I had the talent to customize Megos. I tried a few and they always come out looking like some bad science experiment gone wrong.

DocDrako
Jun 5, '13, 1:19 AM
If it's a ReMego, I want it.

:)

rjm118
Jun 5, '13, 12:31 PM
How is series 2 being pre-sold at multiple websites yet Figures doesnt have it on their own yet??

imp
Jun 5, '13, 1:42 PM
How is series 2 being pre-sold at multiple websites yet Figures doesnt have it on their own yet??

See, I told you it's a stinky assortment. Even FTC won't carry Series 2! :smiley1:

garfoot
Jun 5, '13, 4:28 PM
It is strange that EE and BBTS have them, and the company that makes them doesn't have them on their website. Who knows?:juggleyes_y:

Corellian Corvette
Jun 6, '13, 1:26 AM
imp -

Seems like FTC has a pretty good handle on demand based their time in market with these lines - in fact I think they may have actually been the FIRST (correct me if I'm wrong) to commercially re-release anything truly "Mego Like" when they did the original Mad Monsters series. How long ago was that? 8 years ago now? (this does not discount the long-standing support Dr. Mego has given, but he never had anything store released)

I think they don't get the credit deserve for kicking this craze back off. Monsters, then Western + Knights + Robin Hood before they went off the reservation with Lucy and Married with Children.

I do agree this community is much smaller then people think. If enthusiasm translated to sales, we'd be on Wave 5 of Buck Rogers by now and Castaway would be pumping out Phantoms as fast as they could make them. Alas, neither is true.

However, there must be something more to this. Even Mattel couldn't make this happen, so either the economics of this are so much better for FTC then we think (likely given the fact they have tooled a lot of this already), they believe the market is bigger then we think (possible based on their experience), or they have figured out how to endure on smaller volumes.

I'm curious how YOU would manage this line, if you were in charge. Wave 1 is a Knockout. You disagree with Wave 2. Would you have brought new characters in earlier? Different assortment of retro heroes? We know that Wave 3 will be RM Batman, RM Robin, Batgirl because their picture is on the collector case. That leaves one other open. Seems like that's a pretty solid pre-planned 3-release wave?

dumbldor
Jun 6, '13, 10:02 AM
FTC survived Married with Children, multiple versions of Fonzie, I Love Lucy, and some other questionable choices. FTC is still here. I think they will survive a few peg warmers in this line.

And a friend and I pre-ordered (ate is more like it) 25 copies of "the book" to help make sure it was printed, and we were accused of trying to profit from it. So guys, you can't win here. :googly:

imp
Jun 6, '13, 12:50 PM
imp - Seems like FTC has a pretty good handle on demand based their time in market with these lines…

You make a lot of good points. If anyone can do this, FTC seems like the team.

I'm curious how YOU would manage this line, if you were in charge. Wave 1 is a Knockout. You disagree with Wave 2. Would you have brought new characters in earlier? Different assortment of retro heroes? We know that Wave 3 will be RM Batman, RM Robin, Batgirl because their picture is on the collector case. That leaves one other open. Seems like that's a pretty solid pre-planned 3-release wave?

I dunno how I would manage the line -- I'm Armchair Quarterbacking just like many others here. I stand by the first suggestion I posted: "…skip the Secret Identities for a while; release a few more Super-Heroes characters first… a few figures everyone could get excited about." Another point I've touched on several times: I just don't believe it should take 3 Waves of Batman-related characters to 'test the market'. Now, I'm going back to the days before DC granted FTC the rights to the entire DC universe. At one point in time, apparently, FTC had the rights ONLY to Batman characters, and I presume that's when these Series 1, 2 and 3 assortments were determined.

It seems that everyone is loving FTC's Series 1 Assortment, so that wave alone should provide insight as to the line's viability. Conversely, I don't think Bruce and Dick dolls are going to answer many questions for the decision-makers at DC/WB and FTC. (Except, perhaps, what low sales numbers look like.)

I'm not sure at what point in the production process it happened, but the moment FTC got access to all DC characters, I would have delayed this Series 2 assortment for a later date, injecting a wave of ALL HEROES first. Superman, Aquaman, Flash, Green Lantern, etc. All Heroes, no Villains. Just like Mego did with their 2nd Wave assortment: Captain America, Tarzan, Spider-Man and Shazam!

If this line is to work, popular Heroes will provide Proof of Concept, and there will be plenty of time to release Villains and Exclusives such as Secret Identities. That's my 2¢ FWIW, since you asked.

You seem pleased with Series 3, but how do you feel about Series 2? What if YOU were managing the line?

Byrnes
Jun 6, '13, 1:27 PM
I'll be getting the Wayne and Grayson from this series for sure. I still need Catwoman, but I'm gonna go for an original Mego on that one.

Random Axe
Jun 6, '13, 1:42 PM
Series one is appropriate, riding the momentum of the last decade of Batamn success. That's a no brainer. If I'm a toy company I put out the closest to a sure thing initially and then...BAM! I release the WOW factor with the second wave, maybe pairing Superman with Bizarro to capitalize on his anniverasy year and then a Green Lantern(doesn't matter which one) and Solomon Grundy(they have the bodies already). Then and only then should they consider secret identities, and it should be a very limited, online only exclusive without retailer or vendor risk warming pegs. Wave three would be solely new figs, no repros. I'm thinking Booster Gold, Black Lightning, Atom and Deathstroke.

Since I have no experience whatsoever with putting out toy lines, my vision above would probably fail. That's kinda how I see a successful first twelve months on this venture.

Corellian Corvette
Jun 6, '13, 2:02 PM
Well I think it depends on a couple things, and some information I don't have access to.

First, based on the information we have, it appears these character decisions were made prior to them getting the rest of the DC license. Based on that, and the likelihood they were trying to get things to market quickly, and minimize the upfront tooling costs by using parts they'd already made - I think ON THE WHOLE, they totally made the right call. They have a great mix of characters, popular name characters, heroes and villains, men and women. They mixed in some fan-favorites. So again, with the above constraints (speed and parts recycling) I think their character choices were perfect.

Now, how they distributed the characters you could debate. But it looks like they have a "Batman and Robin" in each wave. I'm not sure how I would have mixed them differently. You don't want two girls in a wave. You don't want all heroes in a wave. You don't want all baddies in a wave. So the spacing seems logical.

Lastly - and I think most importantly - is how LONG between each wave? We're used to the MattyCollector or EMCE "Waves" where character sets come MONTHS apart. People get bored, they forget, the excitement wears off.

If FTC is putting out a WAVE per month, or every six weeks - you're going to get all three waves in about 3 months. That's pretty awesome. That would be all characters out in the time you'd only get one other wave from another company.

If they get these out fast, then I don't think the roll-out plan is all that big of a problem. If we have to wait 3-4 months between waves, then I agree I would move Wave 3 up (get RM Robin, Batman, and Batgirl out next), save this lame wave for later, and have other DC characters lined up so and announced right away.

If they have a wave every month or two, that gives a LOT more flexibility in how they mix and match the assortments.

imp
Jun 6, '13, 2:15 PM
If they get these out fast, then I don't think the roll-out plan is all that big of a problem. If we have to wait 3-4 months between waves, then I agree I would move Wave 3 up (get RM Robin, Batman, and Batgirl out next), save this lame wave for later, and have other DC characters lined up so and announced right away. If they have a wave every month or two, that gives a LOT more flexibility in how they mix and match the assortments.

YEAH. That's BRILLIANT. My thinking has been aligned with what Random Axe stated above, but what you just brought up -- the timing -- is really critical. Well said!

I'm excited to see how this all plays out.

Corellian Corvette
Jun 6, '13, 2:22 PM
The biggest problem is speed. You need to keep things going, keep the momentum up. You get the waves out quickly, then ship assortments as figures sell out to keep popular characters in stock. Big companies screw this up all the time. (see: Matty and Hasbro)

What like about FTC ALREADY - that's SMARTER then what Matty did - you can already buy a CASE of just Batman or a CASE of just Robin.

This is super smart. You ship your wave assortments, then keep a stock of the key guys being refreshed so you don't have "pegwarmers" - I'm not going to buy Penguin if I can NEVER find Batman.

With Star Wars - you can't get a CASE of Luke Skywaker. You need to wait for assortment 12.5 which adds two per case of Luke. That's dumb. Ship more Lukes!

So again, if they are smart, Wave 2 of figures also ships with a restock of JUST the main characters. They keep doing that - they'll be fine.

imp
Jun 6, '13, 2:53 PM
So again, if they are smart, Wave 2 of figures also ships with a restock of JUST the main characters. They keep doing that - they'll be fine.

Wait. Are FTC World's Greatest Heroes! toys going to be in mass market toy stores? I was under the impression they were destined for Direct Market comic books stores only (mostly special orders, in that case). Given the higher price point, not to mention their poor handling of Mattel's Retro Action, I would be stunned if a retailer like Toys 'R Us picked these up. But if it's true, that's fantastic news.

Corellian Corvette
Jun 7, '13, 1:07 AM
I'm not sure. I don't think they have disclosed if they have retail partners. I'm sure some of the online specialty shops will carry them.

But if each figure is available individually at any time, the "waves" really only become release timing, and the concept of the peg-warmer is gone. Just order what you want online.

FTC does have a good history of keeping lines in-stock, and they do allow individual figure purchases. That's already a plus vs. the other lines we've seen in the past.

So that really just means speed is the only issue. Get the waves out fast, they'll be in good shape.

Chris
Jun 7, '13, 7:00 AM
I'm not sure. I don't think they have disclosed if they have retail partners. I'm sure some of the online specialty shops will carry them.

But if each figure is available individually at any time, the "waves" really only become release timing, and the concept of the peg-warmer is gone. Just order what you want online.

I've seen their Monster figures available at the local comic shop so the DC figures might be there too.

SpaceAgent
Jun 7, '13, 10:07 AM
Let me just say I'm glad they're doing the secret identities - as someone who grew up nowhere near the retailer who had those exclusives, those are the only original Megos I didn't have. To me, it says FTC is tapped into what collectors want, and after all, that's the market they're pursuing.

MIB41
Jun 7, '13, 11:09 AM
imp -

Seems like FTC has a pretty good handle on demand based their time in market with these lines - in fact I think they may have actually been the FIRST (correct me if I'm wrong) to commercially re-release anything truly "Mego Like" when they did the original Mad Monsters series. How long ago was that? 8 years ago now? (this does not discount the long-standing support Dr. Mego has given, but he never had anything store released)

I think they don't get the credit deserve for kicking this craze back off. Monsters, then Western + Knights + Robin Hood before they went off the reservation with Lucy and Married with Children.

I do agree this community is much smaller then people think. If enthusiasm translated to sales, we'd be on Wave 5 of Buck Rogers by now and Castaway would be pumping out Phantoms as fast as they could make them. Alas, neither is true.

However, there must be something more to this. Even Mattel couldn't make this happen, so either the economics of this are so much better for FTC then we think (likely given the fact they have tooled a lot of this already), they believe the market is bigger then we think (possible based on their experience), or they have figured out how to endure on smaller volumes.

I think it's safe to say if you really look at the marketplace, it was Hasbro that started the whole "retro" marketing strategy when they released what were suppose to be "replica" figures of their vintage 60's and 70's lines back in the early 90's. Of course these figures were anything but replicas at that point. But it woke up a whole new marketplace and suddenly companies realized there was a different demographic that hadn't been properly tapped into. The Toybiz company, owned by Marvel, were the first to dabble in the retro Mego universe with the Famous Covers line released in 1998. Between those Hasbro and Toybiz' ventures, the industry began to see an offshoot of new companies created solely to cater to this demographic. For example, Playing Mantis recreated the Captain Action line, as well as Evel Knievel. But keep in mind through all of this commercial development, Dr. Mego already existed and was building an underground movement by recreating actual replacement parts for the vintage Mego lines starting back in the early 90's . So while the Figures Toy Company, who were better known for Wrestling Figures, started their own campaign into the Mego universe with Classic TV Toys back in 2004, they were simply one of many companies looking to cash in on the retro marketplace. They did not author it's resurgence by any means.

But make no mistake. As with other companies, there wasn't anyone who didn't champion their cause. What gave Classic TV toys their own infamous distinction were the brittle bodies that broke almost immediately upon coming out of the package. The packaging itself was uniquely flimsy. And through this process, which lasted YEARS, the whole effect came off (intended or not) as a company who were trying to make a fast buck by taking short cuts in production. To give them proper credit, they tried to replace the bad product with replacements when customers called in. However, the inferior product was replaced with the same inferior product. So customer dissatisfaction and their inability to manage their own quality issues became so massive, it basically shut them down from making anymore figure lines for years. They were forced to part out those lines, which created a nice aftermarket for customizers.

But for years people no longer viewed this company as a viable source for bodies or new figure lines. So much so that when the company obtained a new license to market KISS, they began using their parent company name instead of the well tarnished Classic TV Toys brand. But those who did business with them, knew it was the same company. And while new and "improved" bodies were introduced, those too have quality issues, which the company has yet to respond to. What's worse the company has, in effect, become it's own scalper. As previous inventory volumes have dwindled (like the defective Robinhood figures), the company has placed huge markups on those products. When their new figure lines fail, like the KISS Sonic Boom figures, they part them out on the Classic TV Toy site, but make no mention of it on their parent site. And then let's not forget the professional courtesy this company has bypassed in selling product that Castaway created. The list goes on from there, but the point is well illustrated. So while this latest announcement in licensing seems to have given the company “new life” in the eyes of some, it’s past product and current practices have more than a few consumers cautious about diving in. As the saying goes,” the past is prologue.”

And comparing FTC to Mattel is not really a comparison worth noting. Mattel is a publicly traded giant in the industry that sells a diverse amount of product. FTC has one demographic to service and is trying to pull as many popular licenses as they can into that market. Through re-purposing existing bodies, they can recycle unsold product and part out the smaller parts to collectors. With this recycling strategy, which Mego also used, they can focus more of their funds on licensing and the development of heads and outfits for those baseline bodies. Mattel’s goal is to grow existing profit margins for the stockholders. FTC is simply trying to create a margin for profit so they can continue to do business.

How would I manage this line if it were mine? I would use my recycling strategy to strangle the competition with competitive pricing and utilize best practices in the industry to grow my reputation and appeal to broader markets. I would make sure my inner quality control measures are in place to assure whatever I’m selling addresses consumer complaints. And finally I would offer diversity in product pricing so I can move my inventory to a broader scope of people interested in this property besides just the diehards who do not carry enough purchasing power to keep my lines viable.

DocDrako
Jun 9, '13, 6:51 AM
I think Series 1 is top notch. Batman, Robin, Joker, Riddler...ReMego Gold!

Series 2 surprised me by also being completely awesome total. I need a ReMego Pengy so I can retire my T1 to a safe place, so all my other ReMegos will stop beating him up. Batman+ & Robin+ really knock him around. The last time I had Catwoman (ooh! racy!) I had stolen her from my half-brother's birthday pile. I was a colossal *** back then. Wait. I still am sometimes. Anyways, I need that Catwoman. I'd like a newer version, maybe Batman TAS version, grey and black. Yes. Good, good. But Catwoman is a good choice for me. I could use those secret identities too, since I will NEVER afford the real thing. Just like oatmeal. It's good to dream, but I gotta be realistic.

Series 2 is a hit for me, just as Series 1 was. CTVT has always done right by me and I'm glad they are working hard to be the next Mego. (and doing really well at it)

Bring the justice, CTVT! And then bring some more!

:grin:

(and now, the silence can descend on this thread...sleep tight, Mego Museum)

DaBillmann
Jun 9, '13, 12:42 PM
Did Figures have the rights to ALL DC characters from the start or just Batman? I love Batman and the Batman characters comprised a big chunk of my childhood WGSH! So, I don't mind Batman leading off new WGSH! Superman deserves representation in 2013 for hs 75th!

After the 3 Batman waves it will only take another 3 DC reissue waves:

Superman, Clark Kent, Supergirl, Mr Mxyzptlk

Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Shazam, Green Arrow

Teen Titans- Aqualad, Kid Flash, Wonder Girl, Speedy

Then on with the NEW! A DC Multiverse to select from!

THIS is exactly what I am anticipating. if they do Marvel, it gets a bit trickier due to the number of figures released. I am pretty sure we will see:

Spiderman, Peter Parker, The Lizard, The green Goblin.

Mr. Fantastic, The Invisible Girl, The Human Torch, The Thing.

Next group gets tricky as not counting Conan, who apparently gets his own series, there are five left. i am assuming it wil lbe the characters who have had their own comics and be: Caprain America, Thor, Iron Man, and The Hulk.

Poor Falcon.

DaBillmann
Jun 9, '13, 12:50 PM
I love that they are starting with the Batman line, and I love that they are including Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson, even with that god awful outfit Dick wears. I do have to question if we actually need RC Batman and RC Robin but hey, stupider figures have been released.

Now, if my money issues will just sort themselves out so I can actually get the darn things!

DaBillmann
Jun 9, '13, 2:26 PM
THIS is exactly what I am anticipating. if they do Marvel, it gets a bit trickier due to the number of figures released. I am pretty sure we will see:

Spiderman, Peter Parker, The Lizard, The green Goblin.

Mr. Fantastic, The Invisible Girl, The Human Torch, The Thing.

Next group gets tricky as not counting Conan, who apparently gets his own series, there are five left. i am assuming it wil lbe the characters who have had their own comics and be: Caprain America, Thor, Iron Man, and The Hulk.

Poor Falcon.

Oh and as for the mystery figure for wave three? I am betting on the first new figure, either Barbara Gordon, Comissioner Gordon, or Alfred. Another villain would be nice, but somehow, just feeling one of thsoe three.

My other thought woudl be Green Arrow, who fits in with Batman and co pretty well, but, would more belong in a different wave.

sprytel
Jun 9, '13, 5:37 PM
I love that they are starting with the Batman line, and I love that they are including Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson, even with that god awful outfit Dick wears. I do have to question if we actually need RC Batman and RC Robin but hey, stupider figures have been released.

Now, if my money issues will just sort themselves out so I can actually get the darn things!

I always the thought the best way to repro the RC figures would be as a "super special edition", where they came with both their superhero costumes and the secret identity outfits.

DaBillmann
Jun 9, '13, 6:50 PM
I always the thought the best way to repro the RC figures would be as a "super special edition", where they came with both their superhero costumes and the secret identity outfits.

Yeah that would be cheaper for us. My main thing is I would prefer to be able to put Bruce Wayne aside and get Batman out raither than change their clothes. Lazy man, LOL.

Though, I guess I could leave RC Batman in the Bruce Wayne outfit. LOL

Random Axe
Jun 9, '13, 7:57 PM
I think it would be cool to issue those AE clothes in an Action Jackson styled pack. Can't get more retro than that.

madmarva
Jun 9, '13, 8:12 PM
Great idea Scott. A removable cowl with the Bruce Wayne set and a mask with the Robin set could be added, too. It would be cool to do that with all the heroes.

DaBillmann
Jun 9, '13, 9:01 PM
I think it would be cool to issue those AE clothes in an Action Jackson styled pack. Can't get more retro than that.
Jiminy Christmas, I never thought of that. You are too smart.

DocDrako
Jun 10, '13, 1:42 AM
I think it's safe to say if you really look at the marketplace, it was Hasbro that started the whole "retro" marketing strategy when they released what were suppose to be "replica" figures of their vintage 60's and 70's lines back in the early 90's. Of course these figures were anything but replicas at that point. But it woke up a whole new marketplace and suddenly companies realized there was a different demographic that hadn't been properly tapped into. The Toybiz company, owned by Marvel, were the first to dabble in the retro Mego universe with the Famous Covers line released in 1998. Between those Hasbro and Toybiz' ventures, the industry began to see an offshoot of new companies created solely to cater to this demographic. For example, Playing Mantis recreated the Captain Action line, as well as Evel Knievel. But keep in mind through all of this commercial development, Dr. Mego already existed and was building an underground movement by recreating actual replacement parts for the vintage Mego lines starting back in the early 90's . So while the Figures Toy Company, who were better known for Wrestling Figures, started their own campaign into the Mego universe with Classic TV Toys back in 2004, they were simply one of many companies looking to cash in on the retro marketplace. They did not author it's resurgence by any means.

But make no mistake. As with other companies, there wasn't anyone who didn't champion their cause. What gave Classic TV toys their own infamous distinction were the brittle bodies that broke almost immediately upon coming out of the package. The packaging itself was uniquely flimsy. And through this process, which lasted YEARS, the whole effect came off (intended or not) as a company who were trying to make a fast buck by taking short cuts in production. To give them proper credit, they tried to replace the bad product with replacements when customers called in. However, the inferior product was replaced with the same inferior product. So customer dissatisfaction and their inability to manage their own quality issues became so massive, it basically shut them down from making anymore figure lines for years. They were forced to part out those lines, which created a nice aftermarket for customizers.

But for years people no longer viewed this company as a viable source for bodies or new figure lines. So much so that when the company obtained a new license to market KISS, they began using their parent company name instead of the well tarnished Classic TV Toys brand. But those who did business with them, knew it was the same company. And while new and "improved" bodies were introduced, those too have quality issues, which the company has yet to respond to. What's worse the company has, in effect, become it's own scalper. As previous inventory volumes have dwindled (like the defective Robinhood figures), the company has placed huge markups on those products. When their new figure lines fail, like the KISS Sonic Boom figures, they part them out on the Classic TV Toy site, but make no mention of it on their parent site. And then let's not forget the professional courtesy this company has bypassed in selling product that Castaway created. The list goes on from there, but the point is well illustrated. So while this latest announcement in licensing seems to have given the company “new life” in the eyes of some, it’s past product and current practices have more than a few consumers cautious about diving in. As the saying goes,” the past is prologue.”

And comparing FTC to Mattel is not really a comparison worth noting. Mattel is a publicly traded giant in the industry that sells a diverse amount of product. FTC has one demographic to service and is trying to pull as many popular licenses as they can into that market. Through re-purposing existing bodies, they can recycle unsold product and part out the smaller parts to collectors. With this recycling strategy, which Mego also used, they can focus more of their funds on licensing and the development of heads and outfits for those baseline bodies. Mattel’s goal is to grow existing profit margins for the stockholders. FTC is simply trying to create a margin for profit so they can continue to do business.

How would I manage this line if it were mine? I would use my recycling strategy to strangle the competition with competitive pricing and utilize best practices in the industry to grow my reputation and appeal to broader markets. I would make sure my inner quality control measures are in place to assure whatever I’m selling addresses consumer complaints. And finally I would offer diversity in product pricing so I can move my inventory to a broader scope of people interested in this property besides just the diehards who do not carry enough purchasing power to keep my lines viable.

"LIKE"

megozilla13
Jun 17, '13, 7:54 PM
I couldn't agree more! I prize this book so much I don't even keep it with my other printed material. I keep it next to my most prized collectibles. So in the event of a flood, fire, or other disaster, these go with ME. :yes:

Ben's book definitely does not hold up well in a flood. I learned that first hand last year during Sandy. It completely curled up into itself and all the pages glued themselves to each other. Funny thing...... you know what did perfectly well submerged for three days in salt water.......................the HeroesWorld catalogs from the 70's. They dried off and look like they were never wet.

mikej

Blue Meanie
Jun 17, '13, 9:06 PM
What really boggles my mind is that EVERYONE complained about the Mattel bodies...and some refused to buy the line because of that reason. That and the pricepoint being $20. At the time, and you can go back and the old threads, I stated that I couldn't understand why people were complaining about the pricepoint. You couldn't even get a Doc Mego Custom, done by Doc himself, of Lex Luthor for what you were going to pay for a Mattel Retro figure of the same character. Those same people that complained about the pricepoint are now stating that they will support this line by CTVT, or whatever they call themselves now, with CTVT not even giving you a new figure that's never been done before until, at the earliest, Wave 3. At a MUCH HIGHER pricepoint then the Mattel Retro figures. I don't understand that logic at all. If they don't have a new figure in the 1st 2 waves then I think this line will die a quick death. Again, just my opinion. I just find it hard to believe that the people that complained about the pricepoint of the Mattel figures are the same people that are going to be supporting a Mego Re-Hash line like what CTVT is proposing for the 1st 2 waves of these figures that have NOTHING to offer that hasn't been done before. I want to see the Romero Joker and the Price Egghead figures...but I doubt they will materialize beyond prototypes. I hope I am wrong. I can tell you that they CAN'T do it with JUST the support of Diamond and comic book store only distribution. They have to get these to mass market...and look how well that went for Mattel's Retro figures. Pricepoint is $25 - $30 per figure...They can't blow these out without taking a HUGE hit in their pockets...Hope I am wrong. I can tell you that I am not going to be buying any of the 1st two waves of this line. Why would I spend $25 - $30 on a repro Batman if I can, through piecing the figure together, put together a complete all original Bats for about $40 - $45. Might sound like a purist attitude...but with the history that CTVT has with their bodies I'd rather have a 30 year old Mego body with squeaky knee joints and a cracked foot then have a CTVT body.

B-Lister
Jun 17, '13, 10:52 PM
Can't do the same for the SIs which I will be buying.

huedell
Jun 18, '13, 4:00 AM
What really boggles my mind is that EVERYONE complained about the Mattel bodies...and some refused to buy the line because of that reason. That and the pricepoint being $20. At the time, and you can go back and the old threads, I stated that I couldn't understand why people were complaining about the pricepoint. You couldn't even get a Doc Mego Custom, done by Doc himself, of Lex Luthor for what you were going to pay for a Mattel Retro figure of the same character. Those same people that complained about the pricepoint are now stating that they will support this line by CTVT, or whatever they call themselves now, with CTVT not even giving you a new figure that's never been done before until, at the earliest, Wave 3. At a MUCH HIGHER pricepoint then the Mattel Retro figures. I don't understand that logic at all.
To me, it's quite simple logic. When virtual replicas are being offered instead of new dolls in a retro spirited style, there's more excitement from a sect that (tho it may be small) is a prominent contingent in this forum.

Gorn Captain
Jun 18, '13, 8:43 AM
For me, it's pretty simple mathematics.
With shipping and customs added, they'll cost me around $45 each. So that's where I say "no thanks".

I'm glad that people are getting a second chance at these figures instead of having to hunt down vintage ones, though. If I could buy them in a store at $30, I'd be tempted in some cases. But I have almost all of them vintage already.

As far as this second series is concerned, it's not a strong line-up. I don't see many kids getting excited about them, and the same goes for myself. The two secret identities don't have a lot of "action" in them, never much liked Catwoman in that outfit, Penguin is the best one in series two. How about giving him an extra umbrella or something?

jayraytee
Jun 18, '13, 4:06 PM
What really boggles my mind is that EVERYONE complained about the Mattel bodies...and some refused to buy the line because of that reason. That and the price point being $20. At the time, and you can go back and the old threads, I stated that I couldn't understand why people were complaining about the price point. You couldn't even get a Doc Mego Custom, done by Doc himself, of Lex Luthor for what you were going to pay for a Mattel Retro figure of the same character. Those same people that complained about the price point are now stating that they will support this line by CTVT, or whatever they call themselves now, with CTVT not even giving you a new figure that's never been done before until, at the earliest, Wave 3. At a MUCH HIGHER price point then the Mattel Retro figures. I don't understand that logic at all.

I have always supported any line that made an attempt to bring back Mego, I bought all of the famous covers line because they were at the time the closest thing I could get to a new Mego. I pretty much hated them, but I gave it a chance because I wanted new Mego figures, which they in the end were not. Then I bought all of the Mattel retro line, the price of the Mattel figures I thought was reasonable, but the bodies were terrible. Mattel dropped the ball majorly in so many ways, but for me the bodies were just not Mego-like enough. My desire for new Mego figures has caused me to overlook a lot of issues in these lines because they were just the closest thing available. But, if you have Mego style bodies and a DC and/or Marvel license and you create both figures that Mego produced and new choices too... well now, I might overlook a heck of a lot more than I overlooked with these previous attempts. Price point, ok... in the day of Sideshow and Hot Toys... I can swallow a lot. BUT... a lack of quality is something that is pretty dang hard to overlook. For me that will be the clincher, if the product falls apart immediately after taking it out of the packaging then I am afraid the licensing they have acquired will all be for nothing.

Basically this time the bases are loaded and the player most known to strike out is at the bat. I am rooting for them and hopeful that in the end we all win.

garfoot
Jun 18, '13, 6:33 PM
I am a bottom line kind of guy, and for me this is real simple. I had these as a kid and they bring back great memories. I don't want to pay for originals, and don't have the interest in tracking down parts to make my own. I won't open these up, they will just hang on my wall in my toy room. I would like all the DC figures Mego made so I don't care what assortments come out first. Price point is within my range so I'm good with that. I would love if they made new characters, but if they only remake the originals, that's fine too. I will support this line until it ends, and I can't do anything other than that. To me, it's that easy.

Vinny0026
Jun 20, '13, 8:16 AM

I agree here - if these first 3 waves tank we are all ascrewed. So I'm all in on them.
I really want this line to do well so we all can get some great dc figures that mego never made.

I already have all these figures, original and customs and in variations so what will it hurt to buy a few more haha
or maybe I should put it in my Moms terms when I was little " If you want Ice cream later - you have to eat all your greens now" haha

so lets all dive in and get some Ice cream later!!!

imp
Jun 20, '13, 10:56 AM
Ben's book definitely does not hold up well in a flood. I learned that first hand last year during Sandy. It completely curled up into itself and all the pages glued themselves to each other. Funny thing...... you know what did perfectly well submerged for three days in salt water.......................the HeroesWorld catalogs from the 70's. They dried off and look like they were never wet.j

Mike, please check your PMs.

-b

Mike77
Jun 21, '13, 12:43 AM
It's been a long time since I've been on this board and am so excited to see Secret Identity figures being produced. I always wanted them but could never afford the originals! Just had a quick question. Will the the new Figures Toys Inc. heads be made the same way as the old Mego heads? Will they be a soft fleshtone rubber material or will they be a more hard plastic? I've been out of the loop for a while and am just getting back into Megos, so I apologize if this has been answered already.

Thanks!

Captain Awesome
Jun 21, '13, 1:26 AM
I feel the decision to do the Secret Identity figures was a well thought out and pretty good decision by FTC. Evidently, someone there knows that originals are scarce and also knows that the repros will sell. The other figures will sell because of people like me who don't have the originals will buy them. Now, having said that, if the quality issues are still there, then yes, they may loose some business...BUT they also know that they can sell the figures and people will be willing to swap out bodies, or whatever the case may be. I'm sure they have A LOT of money tied up in these licenses and I'm sure they've done their homework and not just goin off half cocked on these. Either way, I'm in for the duration cause I'd like to see the line succeed...just like I did with the DC Retro Action figures even though I despise those bodies. That's why they're all on repro bodies now. Problem solved...

megocrazy
Jun 21, '13, 9:06 AM
Not picking on you, just offering up some personal views.

I feel the decision to do the Secret Identity figures was a well thought out and pretty good decision by FTC. Evidently, someone there knows that originals are scarce and also knows that the repros will sell.

Actually the same figures have been available for years, for roughly the same amount. Most long time collectors that would want these already have them in their collections. Any target sales outside the Mego collecting community would probably not associate any of the sculpts to any version of those characters that exists either in comics or TV.

The other figures will sell because of people like me who don't have the originals will buy them. Now, having said that, if the quality issues are still there, then yes, they may loose some business...BUT they also know that they can sell the figures and people will be willing to swap out bodies, or whatever the case may be.

Other than the Riddler, C7-C8 condition loose versions of the originals can be had for about $15 more than these will cost. Less for Penguin. Unless it's Benbarb's. Granted some have repro parts and are not new but they are original and will surely hold their value better than remakes IMO. Now if new characters get made that will be different, I would not have an issue paying that price point for either the Romero Joker or the Price Egghead, especially after seeing the intended sculpts. King Tut, Freeze, TV accurate Catwoman, I'm in, but I personally couldn't pay $25 for a repro Batman when I could probably get a nice loose original one for similar money. I found a fairly nice Batman that sold on ebay for $18 with repro gloves and emblem. Even the Riddler is not outrageous. I found several in the $60 range which is just over double the price you'll pay for the new one.

I'm sure they have A LOT of money tied up in these licenses and I'm sure they've done their homework and not just going off half cocked on these.

That hasn't necessarily been their track record. They had money tied up in previous licenses, though arguably probably not this much, but their quality was horrible. No idea how the KISS figures are selling, but I'm sure the license was not cheap and loose heads and suits are already selling individually on their site, leading me to believe 1 of 2 things, low sales or bad bodies that are yielding surplus accessories. If a body swap becomes a necessity like the Mattel figures, add $5-$10+ onto the cost depending on what option you choose. That seems just too pricey to me to yield enough sales results. Not to mention they have to battle their own bad history which they created themselves.

rlkrefft
Jun 21, '13, 11:45 AM
I ordered Penguin and Catwoman. I will admit I would hope they make purple dress Catwoman at some point, I would buy her for sure, but this one will do. As for the company...I wish they would stop focusing on all these silly build a action figure of yourself ads they pop up all over Facebook and Twitter. I mean you have great major licenses now, focus on these and move away from the minor league stuff a new company just out of the water would be making. I am not gonna deny after seeing endless promotions from Figures Toy Co about these make your own action figure, then hearing all the bad things from you guys, it does give me some concern. If this company was really interested in being taking more seriously I think it's time to move away from custom action figures and cheap cocktail umbrella accessories. I mean you guys have the Batman 66 license now. Your in the big league now so act like it. If you want to be taken as a serious company don't sell cocktail umbrellas and promote custom action figures over Batman 66, Dallas, Dukes etc. Just my opinion.

MIB41
Jun 21, '13, 1:31 PM
I ordered Penguin and Catwoman. I will admit I would hope they make purple dress Catwoman at some point, I would buy her for sure, but this one will do. As for the company...I wish they would stop focusing on all these silly build a action figure of yourself ads they pop up all over Facebook and Twitter. I mean you have great major licenses now, focus on these and move away from the minor league stuff a new company just out of the water would be making. I am not gonna deny after seeing endless promotions from Figures Toy Co about these make your own action figure, then hearing all the bad things from you guys, it does give me some concern. If this company was really interested in being taking more seriously I think it's time to move away from custom action figures and cheap cocktail umbrella accessories. I mean you guys have the Batman 66 license now. Your in the big league now so act like it. If you want to be taken as a serious company don't sell cocktail umbrellas and promote custom action figures over Batman 66, Dallas, Dukes etc. Just my opinion.

The custom market will always be a niche they cater to in order to sell off excess inventory from unsold product so they can re-purpose bodies for new licenses. That big promotion should tell you how much back inventory they're currently growing. Lots of unsold merchandise warming stock shelves. Had they priced themselves more competitively and managed the quality upfront , they wouldn't have all of these workarounds in place. Plus some of their strategy is off kilter. The KISS line could have been a huge seller had they invested early in a good base line of figures and then just added new outfits as costume sets. They would have made good money with minimal overhead. All the money their spending on different heads for different lines, just raises their debt load and burns out buyer interest because of the repeated need to repurchase the whole figure. That's too much financial load on the consumer. Selling the various eras as costume sets means they would have tapped into a considerably bigger consumer base. People would have mopped up the costume sets because of the improved pricing it brings. Plus the diehards who want individual figures for each era could have purchased the base figures multiple times. This strategy sells off their product and at a much higher profit margin than what they're currently doing trying to sell 8 and 12 inch figures for $25 and $70.00 a pop. They're marketing and pricing strategies are too skewed to diehard fans instead of the broader base of consumers who can buy more with a variety of price points. It's not just what you sell, but how you sell off your inventory for a profit that makes you successful. They make it too hard on themselves (and their consumers) by chasing that profit on the initial sales which prices them above their competition and deflates their accessibility to growing their customer base.

hedrap
Jun 21, '13, 1:45 PM
The custom market will always be a niche they cater to in order to sell off excess inventory from unsold product so they can re-purpose bodies for new licenses. That big promotion should tell you how much back inventory they're currently growing. Lots of unsold merchandise warming stock shelves. Had they priced themselves more competitively and managed the quality upfront , they wouldn't have all of these workarounds in place. Plus some of their strategy is off kilter. The KISS line could have been a huge seller had they invested early in a good base line of figures and then just added new outfits as costume sets. They would have made good money with minimal overhead. All the money their spending on different heads for different lines, just raises their debt load and burns out buyer interest because of the repeated need to repurchase the whole figure. That's too much financial load on the consumer. Selling the various eras as costume sets means they would have tapped into a considerably bigger consumer base. People would have mopped up the costume sets because of the improved pricing it brings. Plus the diehards who want individual figures for each era could have purchased the base figures multiple times. This strategy sells off their product and at a much higher profit margin than what they're currently doing trying to sell 8 and 12 inch figures for $25 and $70.00 a pop. They're marketing and pricing strategies are too skewed to diehard fans instead of the broader base of consumers who can buy more with a variety of price points. It's not just what you sell, but how you sell off your inventory for a profit that makes you successful. They make it too hard on themselves (and their consumers) by chasing that profit on the initial sales which prices them above their competition and deflates their accessibility to growing their customer base.

I am in total agreement with all of this.

I've never understood why they, of all companies, didn't realize the build-a-figure potential.

And bypassing shelfspace negates cumbersome ant-theft and visibility packaging.

Hulk
Jun 24, '13, 7:21 AM
I'm glad they are burning through repros for three series, because if you guys tell me they can do three waves of repros in a row where the quality is up to par, then I'll be happy to purchase some of their new stuff, which ultimately is all that really interests me.

Cosmicman
Jun 24, '13, 9:51 AM
I have about 5 or 6 complete original and custom Batman and various Robins along with the Bruce, Dick, Catwoman, Penguin, Riddler and Joker. I may pick one up to see what it looks like and compare it and see if it is worth to buy more Batman and Robin figures to add to my swarm of army of Batman figures but I'm probably going to sit on my hands until I see something a little more interesting like perhaps a Aquaman repo that looks good (mine still looks good but is little old to take out of the box and pose him around.)
I never had any faith when Classic TV Toys first came out but next to Dr. Mego I have spent nearly a grand just buying clothes, heads, boots, and of course the KISS figures because they have finally fixed their problems and found away to sell stuff worth buying. I'm just hoping that this happens with these DC reproduction pieces and we do see a nice Batgirl maybe or someone new like a Two-Face or Scarecrow (if we're just talking Batman club.)