X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • imp
    Mego Book Author
    • Apr 20, 2003

World's Greatest Heroes! New "Series 2" Full-Page Ad

Back in April, I posted the full-page ad that appeared in Previews magazine depicting FTC's Series 1 "World's Greatest Heroes!" line.

The most recent issue (June 2013) features a full-page ad promoting the "Series 2" wave:

I must confess, The utterly baffling assortment of characters chosen to represent the critical 2nd Wave has dulled the luster of my excitement.

Secret Identities? Seriously? Not Superman or Aquaman? Or Shazam?

And of the four Super-Gals presumably available to Figures Toy Co. -- all DC characters -- Not Supergirl? Not Wonder Woman? …Catwoman!

I can only surmise that FTC is contractually confined to producing only Batman-related characters. But if that's the case, why not Batgirl?

CATWOMAN?!

SMH

It's another nice ad, but… I just… WOW. I just don't know…

-b
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

From what I gather the are trying to test the market on the Batman Megos first. There will be three waves. To keep this going Mego released 3 different Batman & Robins. So with each wave you get a Batman & Robin. Wave 3 will have Batgirl, RC Batman, RM Robin and a mystery character. This is as far as they have advertised.
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
      Moderation Engineer
      • Aug 14, 2003

They're going with the Batman line first, then they will branch out. I've seen pics of some of the first samples, and I think they'll go over well assuming that the bodies are of acceptable quality. This license has the potential to have legs for years just like when Mego had it.

Comment

• imp
        Mego Book Author
        • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by monitor_ep
        From what I gather the are trying to test the market on the Batman Megos first. There will be three waves. To keep this going Mego released 3 different Batman & Robins. So with each wave you get a Batman & Robin. Wave 3 will have Batgirl, RC Batman, RM Robin and a mystery character. This is as far as they have advertised.
        So wait. They need THREE WAVES to "test the market"? So they plan to release twelve figures -- HALF of which you're suggesting will be Batman or Robin -- to "test the market"? None of that makes any sense.

Comment

• monitor_ep
          Talkative Member
          • May 11, 2013

You have to remember that Mego did this to themselves to start with. 9 out of 22 (and that is counting the Teen Titans and Isis) were Batman related. Heck only one villain they released was not a member of the Batman Family. You cannot blame FTC for the ratio of what Mego released. I was shocked they decided to do the Bruce Wayne and Richard Grayson. Those were the exclusive figures. Even though all I want is Batman & Robin, I will support there waves and buy them all.
          Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• monitor_ep
            Talkative Member
            • May 11, 2013

My problem is the version of Catwoman they are releasing. This is the third version of her. If they had to stick with this costume I wish they would have gone with the first version that looks more comic book related with the blue leggings. Why Mego decided to go with this version is another story.

Another thing, this might be out of FTC hands one what they can release first. This might be WB/DC call.
            Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• monitor_ep
              Talkative Member
              • May 11, 2013

My problem is the version of Catwoman they are releasing. This is the third version of her. If they had to stick with this costume I wish they would have gone with the first version that looks more comic book related with the blue leggings. Why Mego decided to go with this version is another story.

Another thing, this might be out of FTC hands one what they can release first. This might be WB/DC call.
              Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• Figuremod73
                That 80's guy
                • Jul 27, 2011

Are the pictures here official CTVT bodies or just more "prototypes"? Penguin is a T1.

I'm really wanting to see some good pictures of their actual product.

Comment

• Brown Bear
                  Still Old School
                  • Feb 14, 2008

I love the ad and can't wait til we start seeing the never before released figs....then business will really pick up for this line.
                  Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• imp
                    Mego Book Author
                    • Apr 20, 2003

To start with… 9 out of 22… were Batman related.

9 out of 22? Walk me through your math here. After testing the line with Batman and Robin (along with Superman and Aquaman) for Christmas 1972, Mego didn't issue a third Batman-related character for an entire year (Batgirl, around Christmas 1973). And during that year, Mego issued four completely awesome and completely unrelated characters: Captain America, Tarzan, Spider-Man and Shazam!

In total (counting Teen Titans and Isis as you did), Mego issued 37 different WGSH figures. By my count, only seven (7) were Batman-related: Batman, Robin, Batgirl, Catwoman, Penguin, Joker and Riddler. If we include the two Batman-related Secret Identities Ward exclusives (not exactly different characters but whatever), that makes nine (9).

9 out of 37 is not the preponderance you suggest. More importantly, Mego released a grand total of NINE Batman-related characters during their eleven-year run. Comparatively, FTC apparently stands poised to release TWELVE Batman-related characters… just within their first year. (Six of which are variations of the same two characters.)

Don't get me wrong. I love me some Batman Family. But… I guess I'm just not digging any of this math.

-b

Comment

• imp
                      Mego Book Author
                      • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by Figuremod73
                      Are the pictures here official CTVT bodies or just more "prototypes"? Penguin is a T1. I'm really wanting to see some good pictures of their actual product.
                      I could be wrong, but I believe everything in the ad -- except for Penguin -- is new, FTC product. Catwoman's gloves and the SI suits are clearly replicas. Penguin's head looks to be new, FTC product. I can't discern whether Penguin's outfit is vintage Mego or new FTC, but it's definitely a Type 1 body. I'm guessing FTC did not have the fat-body prototype completed in time for marketing purposes? I'm also guessing the FTC fat-body will mirror the Type 2 body, to match the standard bodies they are manufacturing. These are just guesses.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                        Talkative Member
                        • May 11, 2013

Ok I was only counting the DC comic related figures (ops 11 Batman related characters)

BATMAN FAMILY (11 characters)
                        Batman
                        Robin
                        Removable Cowl Batman
                        Removable Mask Robin
                        Bruce Wayne
                        Richard Grayson
                        Joker
                        Penguin
                        Riddler
                        Catwoman
                        Batgirl

DC UNIVERSE (12 figures)
                        Superman
                        Supergirl
                        Clark Kent
                        Wonder Woman
                        Green Arrow
                        Aquaman
                        Shazam
                        Isis
                        Speedy
                        Kid Flash
                        Aqualad
                        Wondergirl

Like I said I am not counting the Marvel characters because FTC has not stated if they can get them. For all we know WB/DC could have told FTC that they have to release the Batman Family first. Batman seems to be the money maker at DC so by testing this out to see if ReMegos are going to sell I can see why. So with what happened with the Retro-Active I can see WB/DC could be testing the waters first to see if the market is there for another attempt at Megos.

That being said I would have done wave two as a Superman wave since the movie will still be in the minds of the customers, but I do not work for WB/DC so I cannot say what goes through there minds. I just happy they didn't decide to use there DCnU outfits.
                        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• imp
                          Mego Book Author
                          • Apr 20, 2003

Ok I was only counting the DC comic related figures (ops 11 Batman related characters)
                          Going back to your original post, you stated, "You cannot blame FTC for the ratio of what Mego released." But your 'ratio' of what Mego released is a completely inaccurate fiction.

BATMAN FAMILY (11 characters)
                          Batman
                          Robin
                          Removable Cowl Batman
                          Removable Mask Robin
                          Bruce Wayne
                          Richard Grayson
                          Joker
                          Penguin
                          Riddler
                          Catwoman
                          Batgirl
                          More than half of your 'ratio' are variations of two characters, not different characters. Batman's Removable Cowl and Robin's Removable Mask were simple production variations. Are you also going to count the Vinyl Cape Batman and the Elastic Belt Robin as 'characters'? I'm just saying: Don't pin this on Mego.

Like I said I am not counting the Marvel characters because FTC has not stated if they can get them. For all we know WB/DC could have told FTC that they have to release the Batman Family first. Batman seems to be the money maker at DC so by testing this out to see if ReMegos are going to sell I can see why. So with what happened with the Retro-Active I can see WB/DC could be testing the waters first to see if the market is there for another attempt at Megos.
                          Here's what I think is happening: There is a long-standing marketing fallacy -- going back to the '89 Batman movie line and the BTAS series -- that new DC toy lines have to kick out a bunch Batman variations along with a few other characters. This may be valid, but only when you're marketing TO CHILDREN.

Yes, kids want Batman. Sure, gift-buying grandmas and classmates want Batman. COLLECTORS, on the other hand, want variety. And let's be clear who this line is targeting: Adult Collectors. Adhering to this kid-centric stratagem for adult collectors is a classic blunder. Kinda like starting a land war in Asia.

Comment

• enyawd72
                            Maker of Monsters!
                            • Oct 1, 2009

I'm sure collectors will jump at the chance to finally own the secret identity figures, as well as the RC figures from wave three.
                            Bottom line, if you want to see non Batman figures, you better buy the first three waves.
                            I'm gonna support everything they release to help make the rest of the DCU happen.

Comment

• rchatlin
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 24, 2001

Haven't full repro Bruce and Dick figures been available for quite a while now?
                              I thought Doc Mego offered them, as well as the other two.

Granted, these are licensed, but essentially the same, right?

r
                              o
                              b
                              Originally posted by enyawd72
                              I'm sure collectors will jump at the chance to finally own the secret identity figures, as well as the RC figures from wave three.
                              Bottom line, if you want to see non Batman figures, you better buy the first three waves.
                              I'm gonna support everything they release to help make the rest of the DCU happen.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎