Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you go about removing a molded mustache?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Saroyan
    Persistent Member
    • Oct 4, 2011

How would you go about removing a molded mustache?

I just pulled the trigger on a GI Joe Hall of Fame Major Bludd off Ebay since it's the only one I saw that appeared to have been made without the mustache- making the face a dead ringer for a Marvel Nick Fury custom- flat head, square jaw, eye patch, etc.

Upon arrival, I discovered that he's not a rare variation- but just an error with an un-painted mustache- but it's been cast into the face.

I'm tempted to take a dremel at low speed to see if I can "smooth" his stache down on either side of his lips- since it's kinda handle-bar style.

Any thoughts?

Here's a link to the completed auction so you can see the face up close- wish I'd looked a little closer!

• wayne foundation 07
    Time to feed the cat
    • Dec 30, 2007

A dremel might be your best bet

Comment

• ctc
      Fear the monkeybat!
      • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

Dremel's can be tricky to use on soft vinyl like that.... some work with a scalpel or fresh x-acto knife would probably be a better bet. It'll be tricky though. Go slow, trimming like you're peeling potatoes.

Don C.

Comment

• HapSlash
        Tribal Witchdoctor
        • Nov 18, 2009

I actually did this to my Major Blood head way back. I wouldn't suggest using a dremel unless you are very experienced with it. The high speed rotations can make the tool a bit unpredictable at times, and the soft plastic can melt and warp, or become discolored if you aren't very careful. On top of that, you will need to be cutting away at it to make the proper shape of the upper lip. Something that would be far easier to do with a sharp carving tool, and cleaned up after the basic shape is put down.
        ALL HAIL MING!

A slapped together sample of my work:
        HapSlash's Image Slideshow

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Years ago, I did a custom "modern" Sgt. Savage (12-inch) without the bandage on his forehead. To remove it, I first trimmed most of it away in very thin layers with a X-acto--very sharp new blade. Then wet-sanded it with progressively finer hobby sandpaper. The final step was a light buff with a q-tip dipped lightly in acetone thinner. The thinner will slightly melt the sanded vinyl surface--you don't want to buff too much or too hard, or it will make the surface glossy.

It's a tighter, smaller area for Bludd's moustache, but I think a similar procedure could work.

If you decide to dremel, use the small, fine-grit attachment on low speed & be careful--you can melt the vinyl as noted above.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• sprytel
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 26, 2009

I've done it on Megos by sanding it off. I have not had good luck with the X-acto approach.

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
              Formerly known as Del
              • Dec 12, 2004

It couldn't hurt to make a resin cast and modify that. Resin is less risky to sand, and if you mess up, you can start over.
              Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
              https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
              http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                Invincible Ironing Man
                • Feb 28, 2008

I'd cut it down with something sharp. Dremels tend to melt this kind of material.
                To disguise the "damage" to his upper lip, you might just give him a five o'clock shadow, to even it out...
                "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• ctc
                  Fear the monkeybat!
                  • Aug 16, 2001

>It couldn't hurt to make a resin cast and modify that.

If you've got the time and wherewithall, working off a resin part is ALWAYS easier. (Learned that one the hard way....)

Don C.

Comment

• Saroyan
                    Persistent Member
                    • Oct 4, 2011

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will start with a fresh x-acto knife and see what I can do- If it's not to hideous, I may post pics.

Comment

• SeattleEd
                      SynthoRes Transmigrator
                      • Oct 24, 2007

Ditto. X-acto first then sanding with super fine grit and higher to polish the vinyl.

Originally posted by sprytel
                      I've done it on Megos by sanding it off. I have not had good luck with the X-acto approach.

Comment

• Cosmicman
                        Permanent Member
                        • Jul 12, 2005

I learned this trick below from a pro who may still be on this board.

So, this is what I do. (what I do is different and probably considered weird) but anyway...

To modify a vinyl head, I cut the neck stem evenly and open it up. Then I pack the head with sculpty until the head is full. Nicely glue the stem back on. (probably the best super glue your can find that you know is not going to hold for one day and fall off LOL)
                        I would not use a dremel (but to each their own) I usually prefer rough sandpaper because you could go too far with a dremel. Sand the mustache off carefully. It's vinyl and it will take a bit but with the head being now a little harder (with the packed sculpty inside) it will come off with a little elbow grease but if you accidentally sand all the way through remember you have sculpty into side there. So take a tiny drop of super glue over that spot (if you accidentally go through) will take care of that boo boo.

I have taken off side burns, mustaches and even beards with this method and they all came out looking fine.
                        The reason for packing the head full with clay is because you may need to repaint the face after you have sanded off the stashe. Might as well do the hair to even up or to make whoever you are planning to make.
                        Last edited by Cosmicman; May 28, '13, 11:39 AM.
                        More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...

Comment

• THE MEGO
                          Museum Patron
                          • Jul 9, 2012

I do this all the time when I make a custom Black Adam. I remove the Klingon beard with a nail file. Be gentle and patient. It does come off. To remove color from the what your trying to remove helps a bit..use real acetone using a Q-tip, rub on area until gone.
                          I don't like x-acto knife for this project. Nail files work just fine.

Mitch

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎