PDA

View Full Version : Mego Museum interviews Anthony Balasco of Figures Toy Company

RSS
May 8, '13, 8:20 AM
The Mego community, indeed the entire toy collector world was taken by surprise a few weeks ago when it was announced that Figures Toy Company had acquired the licenses for Batman, Dukes of Hazzard, Conan and Tarzan, Evel Kneivel, Gilligan’s Island and Dallas. After a lifetime of waiting we learned we’d be seeing Mego-style Adam West Batman 66 figures as well as reissues of World’s Greatest Super Heroes. The stunning and exciting news has been greeted with a tremendously positive response along with a few notes of caution. Figures Toy Company (AKA Classic TV Toys) has been extremely active in Mego reproductions since 2005 when they entered the market with reproductions of Mego public domain lines such as Mad Monsters and Super Knights, Mego licensed properties such as Happy Days and Space 1999 and new lines in the Mego style (I Love Lucy, Married With Children). These early CTVT figures manufactured in India and were plagued with quality control problems. Nonetheless, the Mego community was blessed to have so many parts and clothes and accessories available for endless projects over the years and CTVT remained a popular destination for many of [...]

More... (http://www.megomuseum.com/mego-museum-interviews-anthony-balasco-of-figures-toy-company-2/)

boss
May 8, '13, 8:44 AM
very nice. My wife will be excited to hear about the 8" Gilligan's Island 2 pack.

rche
May 8, '13, 9:04 AM
Wow! Thanks for the fine interview to Antony, Steve, and anyone else involved. Some great questions and some amazing answers. I am truly looking forward to seeing these products.

Earth 2 Chris
May 8, '13, 9:13 AM
Whoa, this is huge. So they have the whole DCU open to them...which means they own me now.

Chris

ScottA
May 8, '13, 9:19 AM
I was just thinking that too Chris.

Toyman_Chris
May 8, '13, 9:28 AM
I have been really excited for these as soon as it was announced. I really love the ambition this company has shown in obtaining licenses and reinvigoirating their product! I must confess, I am sad to see they won't be doing the WGSH in the 12" format.

Looking forward to the DC, Batman 66, Conan & Tarzan lines. Honestly, I really think I might bite on the Dukes Of Hazzard figures too. I love what I see so far.

GlobalObserver
May 8, '13, 9:33 AM
Incredible news!

ScottA
May 8, '13, 9:34 AM
I'm going to get the 8" Gilligan and Skipper just to do my part so we get the other 5 and maybe a Headhunter too.

Iron Mego
May 8, '13, 9:39 AM
The whole DCU? So they could possibly release characters that were already done by Mattel? That would be interesting.

newlyknighted
May 8, '13, 10:24 AM
I might need a second job. Is Figures hiring?

JediJaida
May 8, '13, 10:30 AM
I took a peek at the four Dukes of Hazzard figures. They are great!!!

The Luke Duke figure doesn't really look that much like Tom Wopat, but then I couldn't enlarge the picture to get a good look. However, the clothing is really nice! Not saggy or baggy or sloppily sewn (a MAJOR peeve of mine!). I can't wait to see how the new Daisy Duke figure comes out!

HardyGirl
May 8, '13, 10:42 AM
Wow! What exciting news! :baby02: Playsets? Vehicles? Oh wow, am I gonna have to show some restraint! This is beyond awsesome!

ovenmitt
May 8, '13, 10:48 AM
The ENTIRE DC UNIVERSE?! WOW! BEST DC TOY NEWS EVER! And vehicles and playsets! Time to sell my house! Thanks, Figures!

torgospizza
May 8, '13, 10:53 AM
Figures Toy Company has obtained the rights to the entire DC Character Universe. If the customer support is there we will make as many characters as possible. There are future plans to introduce playsets and vehicles.

This is phenomenal news. Couldn't be happier to hear this.

pmwasson
May 8, '13, 11:00 AM
Amazing! I wish them much success so we can have new 8" Mego figures for years to come!

wayne foundation 07
May 8, '13, 11:05 AM
Thats great stuff to hear, thanks for doing that Steve!

hedrap
May 8, '13, 11:09 AM
HOLY CRAP.

The entire license.

Wow.

Never would have thought it was available, but I guess when Matty tapped out and DCD folded, the opening was there.

rjm118
May 8, '13, 11:09 AM
I was never a fan of the 12" figures, but I may buy a couple just to make sure these lines are a success.

Im thrilled the whole DC universe is open to them, HAWKMAN AND BLACK CANARY PLEASE!!!

Godzilla
May 8, '13, 11:16 AM
Well they certainly said the right things. Time will tell about the quality.

JediJaida
May 8, '13, 12:07 PM
I'm drooling.

Black Canary.

Hawkwoman.

Wonder Woman.

Supergirl.

Starfire.

Raven.

Wonder Girl.

Cheshire.

A whole BUNCH of females that never got made!

MIB41
May 8, '13, 12:18 PM
Just... WOW. Recreating all of the Mego playsets? Incredible. Imagine a brand spanking new Batcave? Only this time, you can have the actual '66 figures to display with them! That's freakin' amazing. I'm also glad to hear they have decided to add Gilligan's Island to the 8 inch scale. Smart move. And I'm fine with a two pack as well. Makes sense. That could actually be a good way to introduce the other characters if it goes well. They could finish the series with the Professor aaaaaaaaand Mary Anne. :wink: Exciting news. And the Duke figures look excellent. They destroy the Mego versions. No contest. My short term thinking is they will need to stagger the release of all of this. Hard for everyone to consume all of this product at once. Better to collect as you go, than to be faced with a "either-or" decision. That would make some of these losers in the process. And right now, it would be incredible to see all of these lines prosper. If this goes over big, I would LOVE to see new Starsky & Hutch figures. That would be an all out butt kicker for me. And if they did 12 inch too, I would be elated as well. Congrats Figure Toys. This is really a game changer on so many levels. I'm pretty much drenched in awe. :please_y:

The Toyroom
May 8, '13, 12:48 PM
You can bet if the DC stuff goes over well they'll be negotiating to get the rights to Marvel characters. If they're not already doing so...

sprytel
May 8, '13, 12:49 PM
Great interview! Lots of little chestnuts revealed. Very excited about all the projects they have in the works.

Figuremod73
May 8, '13, 12:57 PM
Looking forward to seeing how some of these figures look in person and hoping for the best. This could be alot of fun.

Goblin19
May 8, '13, 1:13 PM
Wow, all of DC. That surprises me.

Jason73
May 8, '13, 1:21 PM
Aquaman vs. Great White Shark? Could this happen?

filmation batman fan
May 8, '13, 1:41 PM
WOW! Vehicles and Playsets too? If that's possible, I hope the Dukes of Hazzard line will include a General Lee for the 8 inch figures. All my life, I wanted a General Lee of that scale and Mego never made one. One guy was supposed to custom make a Mego General Lee for me. He took my money and didn't deliver. What a ripoff! I love the look of the 12 inch Dukes figures. They actually look series accurate. As for Dallas, I'm anxious to see what J.R. Ewing looks like. If he sells, I'm at the very least hoping they'll make figures of Bobby and Sue Ellen, they were after all, the big three. I would also like to see Starsky and Hutch with their perspectice leather jackets and gun holsters, and a fat Captain Dobey. I'd like to see CHiPs redone and include other cops like Grossman, Barikza, and Bruce Nelson. For DC, I'd like to see The Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkman, and characters from the SuperFriends. And I hope Gilligan's Island does well enough to get figures of The Howells, Ginger, Mary Ann, and the Professor made as well. Since Bif Bang Pow made the Six Million Dollar Man, I wish either they or Figures could license the Bionic Woman series. Anyway, that's my want & wish list.

Timothy2251
May 8, '13, 2:40 PM
My hat's off to everyone at Figures Toy Co. on getting the DC license. That's one heck of a score, bar none, and I'll be more than happy to throw money their way for those figures.

Also like they're revamping Daisy Duke and her massive cranium, and the possibility of getting an 8" Ginger and MaryAnn in the Gilligan's Island line opens up all sorts of customizing possibilities for me. I will, however, be all over a Thurston Howell III figure when that becomes available.

Meule
May 8, '13, 3:38 PM
New DC figures? Playsets? Vehicles? Somebody pinch me, cause this has to be a dream, right?

Hedji
May 8, '13, 3:44 PM
Such amazing news. I do hope they don't revamp the classic Mego superheroes in any way. They ain't broke as far as I'm concerned. Keep em straight repros, please.

jwyblejr
May 8, '13, 3:46 PM
I'm liking the sound of this.

Chris
May 8, '13, 3:53 PM
I'm going to get the 8" Gilligan and Skipper just to do my part so we get the other 5 and maybe a Headhunter too.

Gilligan and Skipper will fit right in with your Lost figures. I wonder if they were actually dead too? I hope so. It would make the show really edgy.

PNGwynne
May 8, '13, 4:06 PM
Aquaman vs. Great White Shark? Could this happen?

If only...

I am gobsmacked by this news. :grin: :drool_y: :terror:

madmarva
May 8, '13, 4:26 PM
I had been holding off ordering the batman remego line, but with the word they can do all the DC characters, I'm in.

With the great sculpts I've seen so far, I dearly hope they produce a Superman that looks like Curt Swan's art.

thunderbolt
May 8, '13, 4:36 PM
man, do I want a batcave with 66 repurposed repro batmobile

enyawd72
May 8, '13, 4:51 PM
All of DC plus playsets and vehicles?

Scuse me while I go change my shorts...

Hedji
May 8, '13, 5:04 PM
Someone quickly give them Marvel too!

garfoot
May 8, '13, 6:09 PM
This has to be the best 8" news EVER!!!!!!!

VintageMike
May 8, '13, 6:12 PM
So much good stuff here. Will definitely be buying whatever I can (that fits in with my current collection) so hopefully the these lines can continue.

noelani72
May 8, '13, 6:15 PM
I might need a second job. Is Figures hiring?

Yes my thoughts exactly.
Maybe I should be a retailer...

Great interview.

Brown Bear
May 8, '13, 6:18 PM
These guys are knocking everyone's socks off.

Goblin19
May 8, '13, 6:28 PM
I'd be just the opposite. I have no interest in exact replicas . New stuff is all that interests me as far as figures go. I wouldn't mind replica vehicles or playsets, though I'd still prefer new ones.

Boywonder0
May 8, '13, 6:51 PM
The people at Figures Toy Company (CTVT) are not just making us happy... They are making History!

hedrap
May 8, '13, 7:22 PM
I think that's a given, honestly.

They are very aware what the grail pieces are, ala Mad Monster Castle.

So once they get a shark, watch out.

tllgn
May 8, '13, 7:31 PM
very pleased with all the good news,and thank you for planning to do "8" figures of gilligans island. when i was a kid buying mego,i really wanted
gilligans island megos,when trek came out ,i thought since star trek was in syndication and a hit,gilligan which also was ,that they would do them
as well,but now years later ill have gilligan & skipper megos ,i hope they come with their radio.and i would love to see all the castaways and maybe
a ape or savage or perhaps a ss minnow for all our castaways.thanx figures

megalomaniac001
May 8, '13, 8:11 PM
Wow!! This is great to hear. I am all in!! I have mixed feelings on the repo's. I want them to make repo's of the ones Mego made, but I would also like to see new and improved versions as well. I think Figures Inc would be wise to stay away from making characters Mattel made, at least for a while. I would like to see a better Flash at some point however! Oh, how about releasing a set in late November?? I have yet to fulfill my dream of having new Mego superhero's under the Christmas tree! (Seemed to miss all the releases for the Mattel figures until January)

Mego-Amigo
May 8, '13, 8:12 PM
Want all exact replicas first then give me whoever they want to add.

mego maniac mark
May 8, '13, 8:33 PM
This is sweet music to my ears. They have the dc universe, oh boy.
I need to work on my sign.....will work for megos

fallensaviour
May 8, '13, 8:57 PM
Wow,simply wow.
Great interview it answereed alot of questions and then some.
I'm jaked about this news,the whole DC line!!!!
Vehicles,playsets,Gilligan in 8',new sculpts for dukes.
Will this crazy news ever stop!?!?!?!?!?

Figuremod73
May 8, '13, 9:11 PM
Im hoping as time progresses that they can get the likenesses from actors of other popular superhero shows as well.

I really would like to see two versions of Isis: One a repro of the original Mego and another closer to her actual likeness.

Maybe that White Shark will finally happen.

garfoot
May 8, '13, 9:25 PM
This is me dreaming, " I would like a complete set of all DC Megos mint on card please". This is reality, "Okay" says Figures Toy Company. Honestly I am so excited about this awesome news. I always wanted these figures but being on a limited budget I could never get these mint on card. I bought some Mattel ones but they were just not Mego. At $25 each these figures have my name written all over them. I mean come on 16 for $400, this rocks!!!! Then add on the fact they want to remake the playsets and vehicles, Figures you are my new favorite company. I can finally have a Wayne Manor or Hall of Justice! It may have taken 35 years to wait but the child in me can't be contained!!!! I will buy all vehicles, playsets, and figures from you guys. Thanks again from all of us kids of the 1970's.

toywizzard
May 8, '13, 9:44 PM
The originals will always be my first choice but for someone like me collecting on a budget these will do just fine,lets just hope we can get the Marvel characters somewhere down the line and if not I'm thankful for what they are giving us.

piecemaker
May 8, '13, 11:17 PM
The Dukes of Hazzard are looking great,cant wait to see Daisy and i'm glad they decided to go with the 8" Skipper and Gilligan.I hope this leads to all the castaways being done.

ovenmitt
May 8, '13, 11:17 PM
I still cannot believe this DC news myself! It was only 3 weeks ago we got the Batman and other news. I thought Figures would wait to see Batman sales before going after all DC maybe in 2014! But BAM less than a month later it happens! My dream come true! I am 43 and Mego DC figures were my 1st childhood superhero figures! I can remember where I got them all! To actually own these again MOC $24.99 each! Batgirl, Shazam, Green Arrow! UNBELIEVABLE! Vehcles and playsets too! Finally Wayne Foundation! And NEW DC! Figures is my new #1 toy company and DC Megos are its key to success! Now bring on MARVEL, too!

Starroid Raiders Dagon
May 9, '13, 2:53 AM
Wow, excellent interview. I am loving what I have seen for the Batman TV show. The 12 Dukes looked great and the clothing fits nicely.
Whole DC Universe at their fingertips? I would love to see Ditko' Shade the Changing Man and the DOOM Patrol (Robotman, Beastboy, Elasti-Girl, Negative Man, and Mento). I would LOVE to see the new OMAC on Doc' muscle body.

galaxyexplorer42
May 9, '13, 3:15 AM
All of this is such great news, and just reading their last statement was the icing on the cake for me,

"We recognize the concerns that went along with our products being made in India in 2005. Let me assure you that all of our product is being made in China and I am quite confident to state that we will compare the quality of our products with any other toy company. Our sculpting will be top notch. We own the rights to some fantastic licenses and it is our responsibility to give back to the collector nothing less than great products."

All the licenses are great, and it seems for sure that the quality will be there too! Count me in!

jds1911a1
May 9, '13, 10:06 AM
Amazing news. It's too bad I spent good money on that junk from Mattel. I hope to see a challenge of the superfriends styled batman & robin, Bizarro & Brainiac, bronze age comic accurate costume Speedy, Filmation style batmobile, and eventually superfriends styled GL, Flash, and Luthor, BRONZE AGE Hawkman, golden AGE

powersthatbe
May 9, '13, 8:20 PM
is it possible these will be sold at TRU since they also sell DST and Neca toys and such(i don't expect target or walmart to sell them)I have zilch problems ordering online from fine sites like BBTS or FTC's own site but i'd be tickled if i walked into a TRU and saw these on the pegs.my dc want list would be hawkman,the jsa,red tornado

Iron Mego
May 9, '13, 8:47 PM
Everything I've read has said "specialty" stores. So probably comic book shops, record stores and novelty shops (like Hot Topic).

Chris
May 10, '13, 7:23 AM
Everything I've read has said "specialty" stores. So probably comic book shops, record stores and novelty shops (like Hot Topic).

Their Mad Monster series was in my local comicbook store this past wknd so that would make sense.

It's interesting that they don't wait for SDCC or Toy Fair.

ovenmitt
May 11, '13, 12:16 AM
2014 is Gilligan's Island 50th anniversary and Dukes of Hazzard's 35th! Time to celebrate! I am glad Gilligan will be 8", too! I hope the set sells well so we get other 5 castaways! 12" Dukes look great, especially cannot wait to see Daisy and 8" Dukes!

actjac01
May 11, '13, 12:00 PM
Super Tremendously Awesome News! I just don't know how else to put it.
One of the best interviews I've read in awhile!
Very excited about Figures Toy having the entire DSU license and that the manufacturing will be done in China!
And playsets and vehicles and things not made before, all based on our support? WOW!
I never remember Mattel making this quite of verbal commitment upfront the way Figures Toy has.
I'm completely 'jonsing' over this! Figures Toy Co. is certainly "talking the talk."

BATMAN89
May 14, '13, 11:57 AM
I finally got to read the interview this morning.
It seems too good to be true, but yet so exciting that Mego is finally back. By that I mean that new figures could be rolling out just like in the 70's!
It's so awesome!
I know we had that with Mattel, but these will be on actual Mego styled bodies.
I can't wait to see it happening!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Vinny0026
May 14, '13, 12:28 PM
This is going to be huge! I really hope the mix it up per wave. I would love to see 2 old figures with 2 new figures per wave. so thats 100 a pop per wave - and if each wave is every other month or so it will be very do-able for me. I really want to see figures never done before. But the remakes are great as well so my kids will have their own set to play with. Can't wait until the first wave hits!

now if they can lock down HB as well it will be a dream come true. Space Ghost, Blue Falcon.

garfoot
May 14, '13, 7:45 PM
This has serious potential if done right. I think we finally have a company that gets it. I think the first 8 figures or 2 waves should be reissues of Mego originals, then the 2 old and 2 new for future waves would be an awesome assortment for the fans. I get goosebumps just thinking about a Space Ghost or Blue Falcon Mego style figure. I hope they can obtain the Marvel rights from Disney in the future to make figures of Spiderman, Avengers and all the rest.

Timothy2251
May 15, '13, 3:52 PM
I'd be down for a 2 old characters/repros and 2 new characters right from the get go. This way, everyone wins - folks who just want new characters to plug holes in their collections can just get those figures, folks who never had the original figures in the first place can buy the repros, and the "Collect 'Em All" crew can snatch up each wave in one shot ($25 a figure isn't that bad, all things considered, and if Figures continues their Flash-fast shipping, it's a no-brainer).

JediJaida
May 15, '13, 3:58 PM
Compared to the triple digits that Hot Toys and others tend to charge $25.00 is a STEAL!

garfoot
May 15, '13, 6:04 PM
JediJaida you are right, I just shelled out $300 for a 12" Luke Skywalker from Hot Toys. These are a great bargain for $25 each!!!:yes:

ovenmitt
May 15, '13, 6:18 PM
$25 is VERY REASONABLE for a fully articulated CLOTH costumed figure today! Hope this is price or lower for Figures other 8"!

MIB41
May 15, '13, 6:24 PM
JediJaida you are right, I just shelled out $300 for a 12" Luke Skywalker from Hot Toys. These are a great bargain for $25 each!!!:yes:

I'm sorry. That's not an apples to apples comparison. Jeez. It's comments like this that just kills me. Because sellers see this and think, "Oh we can charge more! They're comparing our price points with high end collectibles. We have room to grow!" These are replica's of $3.00 figures from 1973. Let's at least act like we understand the concept of inflation and the value of a product. :no: These guys are making a REAL nice profit at $25.00 a pop with the volume their putting out. Plus they are the highest priced company on this scale with the worst reputation for quality. And you want to compare them to Hot Toys? Insanity. Weren't you just gripping about some unfounded concern you might have to pay "scalper prices" for an Oscar Goldman figure you can currently buy 20% less than these figures? And your kneeling at the throne here? I smell a company plant.

garfoot
May 15, '13, 6:42 PM
My point being was that I have seen people complain about the $25 price point on these items. Having a business degree I understand the concept of supply and demand. I wasn't comparing high end collectibles with low end 8" figures. I was just saying that in today's market I think it is a fair price at $25. I know Figures needs to make a profit with these to stay in business. Besides, I don't think a comment made by some unknown guy on Mego Museum will sway their price point at all. The only thing that will do that is how many they sell, and if the cost of making these bad boys goes up in the future. But I do agree with you that they are making a handsome profit on these. :yeah:

SpaceAgent
May 15, '13, 7:17 PM
FYI, according to inflation calculators, an item that cost $3.00 in 1973 would cost $15.29 in 2012.

MIB41
May 15, '13, 7:29 PM
My point being was that I have seen people complain about the $25 price point on these items. Having a business degree I understand the concept of supply and demand. I wasn't comparing high end collectibles with low end 8" figures. I was just saying that in today's market I think it is a fair price at $25. I know Figures needs to make a profit with these to stay in business. Besides, I don't think a comment made by some unknown guy on Mego Museum will sway their price point at all. The only thing that will do that is how many they sell, and if the cost of making these bad boys goes up in the future. But I do agree with you that they are making a handsome profit on these. :yeah:

Absolutely. I have a business degree as well. And one thing I can say with complete certainty is there is not enough reasoning utilized in this hobby. This industry gets tested all the time. Just a couple of years ago people were blowing smoke about $20.00 a pop for the retro heroes from a big company like Mattel. Even though two-man companies like Castaway were making a ten fold better figure for the same price at a considerably smaller volume. And yet here we are just a short time later and the new price norm has now jumped 25% ??? What besides gas prices does this? It's another price point test on the market. Guess what? In another few years, it will jump another 25%. They'll be $30.00 then. The "specialty" figures already are. So at some point, as a consumer, you have to vote with your wallet. That's why I support the smaller guys like BBP. They make a comparable product at a better price point. And because they are priced better, I buy MORE product. Fair price at $25.00? I'm not so sure. My problem here is people vote with their childhood memories. Mego made CHEAP figures. They were priced cheap too. $3.00 back then equates to $15.29 today when adjusted for inflation. This company's price points are nearly 70% above the inflation rate. All I'm saying is it doesn't have to be that way. This industry suffers because there is no consumer voice that demands some price controls on this stuff. So its only going to keep going up and up. Mark my words. The $30.00 price tag is coming. And at some point people will look around and say, "Hey we're getting ripped off." Maybe it will take $50.00 before they do it. But at some point, hopefully, people will wake up and ask for a product that reflects the price being asked. Nostalgia only lasts so long. And my fear is companies like this will destroy this hobby. They'll price them right back into oblivion.

Iron Mego
May 15, '13, 7:39 PM
Do we have to go over all this again? Good grief.

ovenmitt
May 15, '13, 8:52 PM
I was looking foward to Sideshow 12" DC Comics figures but the $189 price on the 1st figure Joker ended that! Remember when Sideshow 12" like Universal Monsters, James Bond cost $40 each?! And Star Wars began at $50 each! So that is why I think $25 is a good deal for 8" Megos in 2013. I did not collect Figures 12" KISS for $60 each but I will gladly pay that for 12" Batman TV, Dukes, and DC if that happens!

torgospizza
May 15, '13, 9:26 PM
Remember when Sideshow 12" like Universal Monsters, James Bond cost $40 each?! And Star Wars began at $50 each!

Yeah, and I'm still kicking myself for not buying all the Universal Monsters and Planet of the Apes figures they released. At the time, those sounded like crazy prices and I only picked up the Wolf Man, Cornelius, and Zira, but compared to now? Those were the salad days.

As far as the 1/6 CTVT figures go, I'll pay $60-70 for them if the quality is as good as what we've seen so far, but I really doubt the paint apps will be as good as what we're seeing. There's no way the pink eyelid borders around the sclera are going to be painted on them, f.ex. They're still sweet sculpts, though. How good they are will definitely influence whether or not I get the Hot Toys versions. I just don't know about comparing 1/9 scale '70s technology figures @ $25 each to 1/6 scale '10s technology figures @ $200. In the 70s, figures of Hot Toys' quality would have been in museums and not in the hands of consumers. It's like comparing a crystal radio to an iPod. The crystal radio should be a good deal cheaper.

garfoot
May 15, '13, 9:30 PM
Absolutely. I have a business degree as well. And one thing I can say with complete certainty is there is not enough reasoning utilized in this hobby. This industry gets tested all the time. Just a couple of years ago people were blowing smoke about $20.00 a pop for the retro heroes from a big company like Mattel. Even though two-man companies like Castaway were making a ten fold better figure for the same price at a considerably smaller volume. And yet here we are just a short time later and the new price norm has now jumped 25% ??? What besides gas prices does this? It's another price point test on the market. Guess what? In another few years, it will jump another 25%. They'll be $30.00 then. The "specialty" figures already are. So at some point, as a consumer, you have to vote with your wallet. That's why I support the smaller guys like BBP. They make a comparable product at a better price point. And because they are priced better, I buy MORE product. Fair price at $25.00? I'm not so sure. My problem here is people vote with their childhood memories. Mego made CHEAP figures. They were priced cheap too. $3.00 back then equates to $15.29 today when adjusted for inflation. This company's price points are nearly 70% above the inflation rate. All I'm saying is it doesn't have to be that way. This industry suffers because there is no consumer voice that demands some price controls on this stuff. So its only going to keep going up and up. Mark my words. The $30.00 price tag is coming. And at some point people will look around and say, "Hey we're getting ripped off." Maybe it will take $50.00 before they do it. But at some point, hopefully, people will wake up and ask for a product that reflects the price being asked. Nostalgia only lasts so long. And my fear is companies like this will destroy this hobby. They'll price them right back into oblivion.

You make a lot of great points. This is why I stopped buying Hot Toys figures. A couple years ago they went for about $149 a pop, now the same figure would loosen your wallet about $200. I know that greed destroyed sports card collecting for me, and then comic books got to out of hand with the variants and exclusives that I just got fed up. I have put a ceiling on what I am willing to spend on 8" figures and at $25 a pop, I'm just about there. I wish Figures the best, and hope that they can keep the cost down so we can all enjoy these wonderful toys we loved as kids.

VintageMike
May 15, '13, 10:09 PM
About the price point, you can't use the original Megos and the inflation scale to compare. As I'm sure we all remember Megos were available in the toy department of every major store back in the day in addition to Toys R' Us and the other big chains of the day like Child World. So if these were being produced in the numbers comparable to original Megos and available side by side with the toys of today in Target/Walmart etc I'd agree. However you have to take inflation and add the fact these are being sold soley via the internet and aimed at a very specific adult collector's market. Do I love the fact they cost $25 a pop? Of course not. But if that's what it costs to get them made and more importantly get us new characters, I'll support it and understand why the price point is what it is.

jayraytee
May 15, '13, 10:32 PM
^ agree.

MIB41
May 15, '13, 11:17 PM
You make a lot of great points. This is why I stopped buying Hot Toys figures. A couple years ago they went for about $149 a pop, now the same figure would loosen your wallet about $200. I know that greed destroyed sports card collecting for me, and then comic books got to out of hand with the variants and exclusives that I just got fed up. I have put a ceiling on what I am willing to spend on 8" figures and at $25 a pop, I'm just about there. I wish Figures the best, and hope that they can keep the cost down so we can all enjoy these wonderful toys we loved as kids.

You make an excellent point about Hot Toys. That change in price points have made me dial way back as well. And today those prices are beginning to creep towards $300.00. I'm confident the '66 Batman stuff will likely hit that number when they come out. Hot Toys are strangling off their customer base as well. I hear complaints on that board quite a bit about people having to leave the hobby because the greed factor has simply gotten too high.

With regards to the other poster regarding the Mego volume, these figures were not EVERYWHERE when they first came on the marketplace in '73. And actually they were cheaper than $3.00 then. Also keep in mind Mego was still known predominantly as a rack toy company at that point. And I remember to this day seeing those superheroes for the first time in their solid boxes on what else but a spin rack by the checkout counters. Distribution into other stores took a few years to accomplish and by then the price actually went UP. And since we're talking about distribution, lets keep in mind that the common stores of the 70's that no longer exist today are replaced by online specialty stores that carry these lines as well. So it's not like it's a small company selling limited product out of one online hub. These figures are massed produced to go to countless online merchants in addition to comic book and collectible stores across the country. They have every bit the presence Megos would have today if they were just coming out. Super chains like Walmart and Target are not going to purchase these lines because they're not competitively priced to move off shelves. Which takes me back to my original point. These are cheaply made like Megos, but they do not carry the spirit of Megos as a baseline toy that can be cheaply obtained. These lines are priced solely for collectors. The average consumer will not pay these prices for a product that doesn't match the appeal of other toys on that same shelf.

monitor_ep
May 15, '13, 11:38 PM
I agree with MIB41. Hot Toys are fantastic, well scuplted, and highly detailed figures worth the money you pay for. Now FTC has done a great job with there Kiss figures. I do not of any problems with FTC, so I do not have anything to compare to. I do now that reproductions I will not pay $200 or more for them.

This said I will be buying nearly the DC figures and hopefully Marvel. I have already pre-ordered my fist set and cannot wait for wave 2 to get release. I want to complete my Batman Family Megos and hopefully wave 3 will be Superman Family (I can hope for a Luthor in business suit).

Werewolf
May 15, '13, 11:44 PM
Remember when Sideshow 12" like Universal Monsters, James Bond cost $40 each?!

Sideshow's first 12 inch Frankenstein in 2000 was only $29.99 and just a year later I paid $39.99 for the Bride. I haven't bought anything Sideshow since the Van Helsing figures in 2004. Looked
terrible and broke right out of the box. I liked them better when they were still Sideshow Toys. When they changed to Sideshow Collectibles their prices kept going up while I felt their quality kept going down.

Astronut
Dec 17, '13, 11:11 AM
The best Mego-related news I have seen in more than 30 years. EXCELLENT. I shall do my best to obtain them all.

(I know, thread is back from the dead...)

Astronut
Dec 17, '13, 11:15 AM
I would love to see Ditko' Shade the Changing Man......... I would LOVE to see the new OMAC on Doc' muscle body.

Ditko's Changing Man??!! FTC would make that character into an awesome looking Mego. And OMAC — EVEN BETTER!!! Holy ***** I want that. Would make for another great-looking Mego. I can totally see it in my mind's eye. KILLER!! Great call on those. Seriously.

ubermanx
Dec 17, '13, 12:20 PM
OMAC and Mister Miracle would be super high on my want list.

New Gods, 1980's Bwah ha ha ha Justice League, JSA ... jeepers, the list could go on and on ...

- Marty

Astronut
Dec 17, '13, 12:24 PM
OMAC and Mister Miracle would be super high on my want list.

Mister Miracle would look dope. YES.

Starroid Raiders Dagon
Dec 17, '13, 3:35 PM
Ditko's Changing Man??!! FTC would make that character into an awesome looking Mego. And OMAC — EVEN BETTER!!! Holy ***** I want that. Would make for another great-looking Mego. I can totally see it in my mind's eye. KILLER!! Great call on those. Seriously.
Especially with them using a screen printing technique that replaced the decals like they have for the on the new line! Mister Miracle and Barda would be excellent for the line.