PDA

View Full Version : TV Batgirl PURPLE costume pictured on Batman COMIC ART case

ovenmitt
Apr 26, '13, 10:35 PM
On Figures site a Batman 8 inch COMIC ART case is up for preorder which has TV Batgirl in PURPLE costume pictured on the case! This is 1st image of TV Batgirl used by Figures on its new Batman merchandise! Is an Yvonne Craig Batgirl figure coming now?

thunderbolt
Apr 27, '13, 4:04 AM
Again, this is the clip art that DC provides to licensors to use on packaging.

boss
Apr 27, '13, 8:52 AM
Yep. Apparently DC doesn't care that it causes confusion.

The Toyroom
Apr 27, '13, 9:05 AM
Yep. Apparently DC doesn't care that it causes confusion.

I'm hating that style guide artwork already. Even though it's by the great Jose Luis Garcia Lopez (praise be his name), there's so much WRONG with it
if it's supposed to represent the TV show.

sprytel
Apr 27, '13, 9:58 AM
Personally, I find the inconsistencies part of their charm.

HardyGirl
Apr 27, '13, 10:05 AM
Yeah, kinda like....Mego :grin:

Personally, I find the inconsistencies part of their charm.

Earth 2 Chris
Apr 27, '13, 10:27 AM
I can't get past the green Joker tux.

Chris

The Toyroom
Apr 27, '13, 10:48 AM
I can't get past the green Joker tux.

Chris

:smiley1: We're such petty purists...

ovenmitt
Apr 27, '13, 10:48 AM
On Facebook when asked about this twice and if there will be a a TV Batgirl figure, Figures Toy Company said "can't comment right now"

I know its artwork and not a photo, but why would TV Batgirl be put on the case at all if Figures is not releasing a figure? And why is this case appearing now on the site?

megoscott
Apr 27, '13, 11:32 AM
:smiley1: We're such petty purists...

My five year old is in a heavy Batman phase right now, inspired by seeing the 66 movie. He OBSESSES over the details to the point that I had to Sharpie proper Adam West details onto his Mego Batman head and drybrush beard stubble for him. An incorrect Joker costume would cause great great problems for us.

The Toyroom
Apr 27, '13, 11:40 AM
My five year old is in a heavy Batman phase right now, inspired by seeing the 66 movie. He OBSESSES over the details to the point that I had to Sharpie proper Adam West details onto his Mego Batman head and drybrush beard stubble for him. An incorrect Joker costume would cause great great problems for us.

Sounds like a great kid! :smiley1: Get 'em hooked while they're young!

MIB41
Apr 27, '13, 12:39 PM
On Facebook when asked about this twice and if there will be a a TV Batgirl figure, Figures Toy Company said "can't comment right now"

I know its artwork and not a photo, but why would TV Batgirl be put on the case at all if Figures is not releasing a figure? And why is this case appearing now on the site?

I think there's two ways this can go - Either Yvonne signs a deal and they move forward with her likeness or they don't agree to terms and the Batgirl figure gets made without her likeness. Either way a figure will be coming out. On this scale I would be hard pressed to find her likeness in the cowl. But it may derail any plans to make a Barbara Gordon figure based on the TV show. I suspect we'll get a generic one by the time it's all said and done. I'm confident most of the licensing money likely went to appease Adam and Burt. If Yvonne's agent had been smart, he would have tried to get her into a group deal with those two, so she could share in the bigger money. Of course maybe they tried and were shot down. I just think the time to deal for more money has passed. The product is getting made and will hit shelves late this summer. She's not part of that most profitable release. I don't see second wave selections finding a bigger audience than the break out wave. The novelty will have played out and she won't have any bargaining leverage.

jwyblejr
Apr 27, '13, 1:29 PM
I always thought the pictures on the Comic Art case were from one of the cartoon series.

ovenmitt
May 6, '13, 11:17 AM
Today on Facebook Figures revealed a 4th case with cartoon head shots from the Retro Batman packages including TV Batgirl purple costume! Why the TV version when Mego Batgirl is blue grey yellow comic book costume?

thunderbolt
May 6, '13, 11:23 AM
and again, that is the art that DC ALLOWS Figures Inc to use for the line. The confusion to you is all on DC's part, not Figures Inc.

Iron Mego
May 6, '13, 11:56 AM
Dude, you're going to drive yourself nuts with all this speculation.

boss
May 6, '13, 12:16 PM
Yep. The confusion is on the consumer's part. DC is a big enough company to know better. It makes no sense from a branding perspective. It DOES make me think that Figures Inc was smart enough to slide these mego repros into the same licensing deal for little to no extra cost. That makes sense... I think the artwork is just an unforeseen side effect.

and again, that is the art that DC ALLOWS Figures Inc to use for the line. The confusion to you is all on DC's part, not Figures Inc.

JediJaida
May 7, '13, 5:04 PM
Didn't she wear a purple costume in the first cartoon series?

I really don't remember, because I haven't seen it since I was around for or five years old.

DaBillmann
Jun 9, '13, 1:03 PM

Oh that is priceless! Remidns me of me when I was a kid. In some epsiodes of the old Batman show, Jokers hair looked orange, even though it WAS green. I remember watching it and wanting to write an angry letter to the tv station. LOL