PDA

View Full Version : 8" vs. 12"

Earth 2 Chris
Apr 22, '13, 6:04 PM
So, what do we think here? Are we going to get EVERY 66 Batman figure in both sizes? I really can't see Bookworm and Shame getting 12" figures, but maybe I'm just nuts.

Are the pieces being sculpted for the larger size and shrank down?

Why is Gilligan only at 12"?

Thoughts?

Chris

wayne foundation 07
Apr 22, '13, 6:37 PM
I guess since they have a good 12" body from the KISS figures they are going to use them where ever they can. As for Gilligan only in 12" thats a stumper.

hedrap
Apr 22, '13, 6:42 PM
12 inch will probably be only for the big names at first, then depending on which scale sells better will end up with the focus. That's how it went with Sideshow and Universal Monsters.

I still am not sure how they got to do 12-inch when Hot Toys also has the license, correct?

SeattleEd
Apr 22, '13, 6:45 PM
In reference to the 12", my concern is that Robin will be the same height as Batman, which I hope is not the case. Not sure if they plan on making a 9" or 10" body for Robin. Regardless, I plan on getting the '66 Batman and Robin in 12" along with the Joker. If they make a Batgirl 12" then both Batgirl and Catwoman.

I assume there is more of a demand in the 1/6 market right now so makes sense to mass produce in that scale rather than take a loss in the 1/9 market.

madmarva
Apr 22, '13, 6:45 PM
^ Japan vs. U.S. on the license, maybe?

Brown Bear
Apr 22, '13, 6:46 PM
I think price will limit how many 12" guys i get. But i am just as excited for the 12" as I am for the 8".

When I was a kid I called the 8" and 12" Little men and Big men. I'm glad to see some re-mego big men.

pmwasson
Apr 22, '13, 6:49 PM
I'm planning to only get the 8" figures.

Figuremod73
Apr 22, '13, 6:51 PM
They have 12'' female bodies in the prototype section so I'm assuming Batman '66 may more than likely have a Batgirl release.

I would have been interested in Gilligan and Skipper as a 8'' but I cant see myself paying $50 and up for 12'' even if they look amazing. Two figures for around $50 in the 8'' format doesnt seem as bad (thats what I keep telling myself ;) )

Mego-Amigo
Apr 22, '13, 7:14 PM
Just the 8 inch for me. I don't care for 12 inch figures.

HardyGirl
Apr 22, '13, 8:45 PM
I'll probably get 8" figures, b/c that's what Mego is to me. 12" means GIJoe, and SMDM (OK he was closer to 13", but I'm just saying).

Jason73
Apr 22, '13, 9:03 PM
Funny, most of my childhood Megos were the 12 inch super heroes. I'm torn right now, but I'm leaning to only collecting the 8 inch figures. Mostly because of cost and space.

MIB41
Apr 22, '13, 9:04 PM
I'll get 8 & 12 inch on Batman and Robin and most likely the Joker as well. The same goes for any Bruce Wayne or Dick Grayson figures they put out. As for the rest of the '66 Batman figures, I know I'm in for all of the 8 inch. The 12 inch will weigh greatly on how good they look. The ONLY thing I don't look forward to are those huge honking backer cards for the 12 inch. I wish to God they would scale that packaging down and either give us smaller cards or put them in boxes similar to what Mego did with the side gate.

thunderbolt
Apr 23, '13, 3:32 AM
8 inch, and holding out hope for a Gilligan line in 8 inch, too.

Timothy2251
Apr 23, '13, 4:46 PM
I'll stick with the 8" figures as that's what I collect right now. But I do hope they move a lot of 12" figures as more money going to CTVT means the possibility of more licenses/characters they can get and more figures for us!

Earth 2 Chris
Apr 23, '13, 5:40 PM
I will get Batman and Robin in both sizes. Beyond that, I don't know. The rest is all 8" for sure.

Chris

torgospizza
Apr 23, '13, 6:44 PM
The 12 inch will weigh greatly on how good they look.

This will even effect whether or not I get the Hot Toys Batman and Robin. So far, from the Joker sculpt and the Robin gloves and booties, I'm really liking what I'm seeing. I was gung-ho for Hot Toys' 1/6 guys, but now CTVT has me thinking.

Gorn Captain
Apr 24, '13, 2:21 PM
12" could have beter details in the costumes and sculpts.
I still haven't decided which scale I'll go for.

Jshack
Apr 24, '13, 3:40 PM
Definitely getting the 8 inch line. As with most other folks I can see getting the 12 inch Batman and Robin, Batgirl too if they make her. My childhood Mego memories are all 8 inch.

JediJaida
Apr 24, '13, 3:53 PM
I might be tempted to get a couple of 12" figures. It depends upon the quality of the sculpts, the accessories, the quality of the body, etc.

But with the sneak peeks we've been getting as to sculpts and boots, etc. I really don't think I will have a lot to worry about.

David Lee
Apr 24, '13, 5:19 PM
Are the pieces being sculpted for the larger size and shrank down?

I'd say without a doubt... this is just too easy to do these days... this is how we did Captain Action and Dr. Eville heads and accessories (hat, guns). Once they have it digitized the size is just a matter of telling the machine what size to cut the molds. Knowing the right size? that still take a human... we have all seen how that can still get lost in translation...

Dave

boynightwing
Apr 24, '13, 5:24 PM
I'll get Batman and Robin in 12 inch for sure. Gilligan too. That will be about it.

Neutron X
Apr 26, '13, 9:05 PM
Gonna get 'em all

Bionicfanboy66
Apr 28, '13, 4:25 AM
8" scale as far as retro Megos go. 12" scale is best reserved for GI Joe, Barbie, and celebrity dolls. Exceptions are SW and The Six Million Dollar Man/The Bionic Woman.

newlyknighted
Apr 28, '13, 10:11 AM
Prep the 8 inch line CTVT/Figures Inc. Make mine 8 inch!

D!n0-M@n
Apr 28, '13, 7:18 PM
8 inch, and holding out hope for a Gilligan line in 8 inch, too.

I completely agree with you thunderbolt

bleit1701
Apr 28, '13, 9:04 PM
8 inch for cost and space reasons but the 66 Batman line might be the exception for me.

If they do all seven stranded castaways in 8 inch I would get them too.

MIB41
Apr 29, '13, 7:09 AM
I completely agree with you thunderbolt

I agree with Thunderbolt too. I can picture a display much more interesting for the 8 inch than I can the 12 inch.

ctc
Apr 29, '13, 7:29 AM
Hmmmm....

Ever since I was a kid, it had been my dream to have ALL the cool characters in the same scale; so they could fight. To that end, I"d always felt that, overall; the 8" Mego body was the best. So everything I get (well.... ALMOST everything) is in 8" scale.

Don C.

jimsmegos
Apr 29, '13, 7:36 AM
To me a 12 inch version of the original Mego Batman and Robin would be a fun novelty. Like the 12 inch Vintage Kenner Star Wars figures. With that said I'd be open to 12 inch versions of Batman,Robin and Superman. Conan I think would also look cool as a 12 inch. Other than that... not so much.

Gorn Captain
Apr 29, '13, 2:30 PM
I think I'm going to go for the higher quality and details that the 12" format can offer.
You can put a lot more fine detail on a larger size outfit.

I love the 8" format, but then I'll want to collect them all, and there will probably be too many (for me).

Hedji
Apr 29, '13, 3:15 PM
To me a 12 inch version of the original Mego Batman and Robin would be a fun novelty. Like the 12 inch Vintage Kenner Star Wars figures. With that said I'd be open to 12 inch versions of Batman,Robin and Superman. Conan I think would also look cool as a 12 inch. Other than that... not so much.

Unless I'm mistaken, I was under the impression that only the 66 Batman characters would be done in both scales, and the Mego repros would be 8 inch only.

Mikey
Apr 29, '13, 4:01 PM
8" always is better :) --- unless it's GI Joe

Boywonder0
Apr 29, '13, 7:38 PM
I'm getting both. Don't see why not.

piecemaker
Apr 30, '13, 8:48 PM
8" inch only for me.I'm not interested in any of the Re-Mego figures cause i already have the originals of those,but 66 Batman and Evel Knievel are must haves.The other 8" FTC originals,i'll have to see what they look like.I would be in for Gilligan and the rest too,if done in 8" but that doesn't look promising.

filmation batman fan
May 3, '13, 7:22 AM
If they can acquire licenses for other DC Super Heroes, I'd like a 12 inch Aquaman in the classic costume since Mego never made one. That would help complete a 12 inch set of the SuperFriends.

MightyMegs
May 3, '13, 4:40 PM
I was stoked about having an 8" scale JR Ewing... then saw he is only going to be in the 12"

fallensaviour
May 3, '13, 5:38 PM
8" only for me as well.

D!n0-M@n
May 4, '13, 10:50 AM
8" always is better :) --- unless it's GI Joe

Exactly! :yes:

Mego-Amigo
May 4, '13, 8:50 PM
Yeah... other than the Batman TV and the reissues of the WGSH stuff I was overjoyed when I saw Dallas on the list of Figures new licensed properties. When I read that it would only be JR and only be 12 inch I was very disappointed and quickly lost interest.