PDA

View Full Version : Retro Batman Card

pmwasson
Apr 20, '13, 2:56 PM
From Figures facebook page:

Retro Batman 8 Inch Action Figures Series 1: Batman clamshell packaging preview.

http://i.imgur.com/Ds6h88H.jpg

wayne foundation 07
Apr 20, '13, 3:00 PM
I just saw this on F/B very megoy isn't it!

Brown Bear
Apr 20, '13, 3:23 PM
Very cool but what's with Joker's "green" suit?

Figuremod73
Apr 20, '13, 3:24 PM
I think the only thing bad on it is that new DC logo design. Ugh!

The Toyroom
Apr 20, '13, 3:26 PM

Not to mention that's the "TV" Catwoman. I'm probably in the minority but CTVT's cards have always seemed
very bland to me. I'm sure they're working somewhat within the new style guide designed by Jose Luis Garcia
Lopez but I think it could have been a little more "DYNAMIC".

thunderbolt
Apr 20, '13, 4:44 PM

its straight from the opening credits for the tv show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh9lhM9HxL8

HumanWolfman
Apr 20, '13, 4:49 PM
I like the card. Has that 70's mego vibe to it.

HardyGirl
Apr 20, '13, 5:07 PM
I never noticed that before. I like the card too, but I agree the TV Catwoman shouldn't be on it. Maybe a prototype card?

its straight from the opening credits for the tv show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh9lhM9HxL8

boss
Apr 20, '13, 5:21 PM
It's things like that that make my question their attention to detail.

thunderbolt
Apr 20, '13, 5:23 PM
It's things like that that make my question their attention to detail.

Its not CTVT, the pics are straight from the TV show style guide, they are being used on other merchandise, too. Be kind of cool if we got a Clayface from the opening, too.

boss
Apr 20, '13, 5:27 PM
These aren't toys based off the show. Maybe they got a 2 for 1 deal on the licensing.

thunderbolt
Apr 20, '13, 5:41 PM
they probably have to use what DC gives them as far as card art. Or these are quicky mock ups for sales.

PNGwynne
Apr 20, '13, 6:04 PM
I guess my question is why is the DC-furnished stock art off-model for the show? I see what you're saying about the credits, but the proto sculpt is clearly Romero.

Ideally, the retro reissue Joker should be purple, orange, & green; the '66 version should be magenta & green.

Why are '66 characters even on the reissue card? I hope this is a mock-up as you suggest.

boss
Apr 20, '13, 6:50 PM
My money's on it not being a mock up. I think it's just cutting corners.

Earth 2 Chris
Apr 20, '13, 7:13 PM
I need to turn in my Bat-badge in. I forgot Joker had the green suit on in the animated credits. It's still seems very random for them to base all the 66 Joker style guide artwork on that. Why not just put him in a magenta suit?

Chris

PNGwynne
Apr 20, '13, 8:37 PM
^And Chris, it's not as if Catwoman is made to follow the credits sequence. :muh:

Earth 2 Chris
Apr 20, '13, 8:40 PM
^Yes, good point. She'd have a cowl and blue skin!

Chris

bobws
Apr 20, '13, 11:52 PM
As long as she's not wearing the Mego outfit and wearing the Tv version it's ok.

thunderbolt
Apr 21, '13, 3:36 AM
My money's on it not being a mock up. I think it's just cutting corners.

I still think its all DC allows them to use.

Earth 2 Chris
Apr 21, '13, 10:03 AM
DC is very slavish to their style guides these days. You rarely see product that doesn't have the same graphics over and over. The recent Polar Lights 66 Batmobile kits are the only ones I can think of that have unique graphics, and that was because they had no 66 material built up then.

It's a shame. The days of Mego, Remco and Ideal packaging looking totally different are gone.
Chris

rodkeith
Apr 21, '13, 11:50 AM
I think there's some confusion here. This looks to me like the Retro comic-based Mego repro line, not the Batman 66 TV-based new line they're doing.

PNGwynne
Apr 21, '13, 12:02 PM
You'd think so. But there's additional charaters on back, with colors & costune detailing that mimic '66 details. Particularly Catwoman overall and Riddler's hair color, question-mark motif. Even Penguin's colors have been streamlined to suggest Merdith's.

The Toyroom
Apr 21, '13, 12:08 PM
And yet the logos they're using are the old Mego logos and not DC logos for the characters, adding to the confusion...

jimsmegos
Apr 21, '13, 12:08 PM
Personally I think it looks better than any of their other attempts at card backs.

kerowack
Apr 21, '13, 12:33 PM
The card backs for the 66 are on the site. These are only for the remegos.

Iron Mego
Apr 21, '13, 12:37 PM
http://figurestoycompany.com/classictvbatmanactionfiguresseries1.aspx

The '66 cards have images from the show on them.