X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lord Mongo
    • Mar 12, 2013

Retro DC repair

Just got my first retro, a Green Arrow that apparently has been decapitated

And ideas on repair? or is it even possible?
  • jacoblb
    Persistent Member
    • May 7, 2009

Please provide a picture.

If the vinyl head or neck has been ripped it's possible to sort of save it by glueing it down, but the head would obviously have to treated and left in a stationary position. If the head and neck is intact then you just need to soften it up with hot water and insert back into body, but the plastic neck post should be pulled out with pliers out of the body. There are threads on how to do that so refer to it before proceeding on your own.

Comment

• comicmike
      Persistent Member
      • Sep 22, 2009

One make-shift idea is using a black rubber washer, one diameter slightly bigger than the neck, and glue it on to the base with a shoe glue (ShoeGoo II or Gloozit) or hobby shop glue (cyanoacrylate, like "Maxi-Cure" in 'extra thick' for easier control: I've had some good luck with both of these glues on split Mego boots). Dollar stores & hardware stores sell the washers in a one pack with many diameters.

A more sturdy neck-remedy to help the glue seal even better is to pack the inside neck with a fraction of an inch of polymer baking clay (Sculpey III, Fimo). Elongate the neck plug (& measure the diameter so it'll fit the shoulder hole), and BOIL it in water to harden the clay. Remove the new hard plug, dry out the head, and glue the new plug in place with the adhesive rubber glue. Once set, glue on a rubber washer so it'll make a raised and malleable edge so the head will slip in & out, and to turn it around from side to side. Once the glue is set, it acts like a sealant. I'm personally pleased with the rubber feel of the washer and the rubbery Shoe Glue when it is dry. No one will see the mechanics once the head's in place.

It's so easy to boil the clay to harden it. Sometimes I dab a bit of Krayzee Glue on any rare cracks in the clay. Plus, Mego heads are so sturdy to water boiling. (Incidentally, also a great way to adapt 8"-sized Pez & HeroClix heads for a Mego 8" body. Caution not to boil the hard plastic heads too long in too hot of water, or parts of the plastic can mutate.)

Comment

• monitor_ep
        Talkative Member
        • May 11, 2013

I ran into this problem today. I open my Two-Face and the body is very loose right out of the package. I stripped him down and used a headless Mego body I had and when I tried to take the head of it just ripped. Talk about shocking and how cheep they made these figures. It looks like I will have to buy some extra Mego repro to replace the rest of my Mattel version. It is a good thing I am getting them off the secondary market for under $15 instead of Mattels $20-30 per figure.
        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• BATMAN89
          Mego obsessed!!!
          • Jul 20, 2010

Most people have cracked open the top the shoulders to get the head off without breaking the neck plug.
          Big Kid Toys Facebook Page!

My Good Trader's List
          My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• Chris
            Persistent Member
            • Dec 23, 2009

Originally posted by BATMAN89
            Most people have cracked open the top the shoulders to get the head off without breaking the neck plug.
            Yes. This worked best for me. Using a "vice" worked really well. I'm not sure what you can use if you don't have one.
            If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• Cosmicman
              Permanent Member
              • Jul 12, 2005

Those bodies are crap! Try and salvage what you can and stick them on a Dr. Mego body!
              More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...

Comment

• monitor_ep
                Talkative Member
                • May 11, 2013

well with the torn heads, I have filled them inside with the Crayola Model Magic and then created a base for the figure. It pops in perfect and can rotate on the Mego body.
                Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡