Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EMCE: Don't let the exclusives ruin this.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fumetti
    • Feb 12, 2008

EMCE: Don't let the exclusives ruin this.

Right now everything's hunky-dory about the new Star Trek line. But then comes news of the Khan figure that will (as far as we know) only be available at two retailers. I am worried that this will create a negative atmosphere that could put off buyers.

We've all seen this stuff before. Our hobbies are hardcore enough, but to intentionally create a situation where much sought after items are not available could turn the party into a sour grapes gripe fest. And the winners are the lucky, the well-connected, and by far the SCALPERS. I would rather pay a slightly inflated price to EMCE than dump a load of cash on opportunistic middle-men.

Is there anyone who's buying this new line NOT hoping to buy the NEW figures? Seems to me those will be the hottest of all items. I expect a heavy demand for Sulu and Chekov, and almost as much for legendary characters like Khan.

Once we see fans turned away because they can't buy from the exclusive stores, and are forced to pay scalper's prices, the goodwill on this project will suffer.

I'd hate to see that happen.
  • Hotfoot
    Dazed and Confused
    • Dec 30, 2007

I agree! Exclusives and chase figures ruin it for me.
    Too many toys. Not enough space!

Comment

• apes3978
      Permanent Member
      • Nov 19, 2005

I agree with fumetti... Even though I'm not collecting the ST line, I do agree with what was said... I'd hate to see it happen to a line I will be buying, so I gotta throw support behind rational thinking like that...

Comment

• megonaught
        Career Member
        • Jan 29, 2008

same here.
        exclusives have burned me and want to be able to collect these.
        please if you r gonna have exclusives make enough that everyone can get them.
        Action Jackson is his name.
        Bold adventure is his game.

Comment

• livnxxxl
          Megoholic RocketScientist
          • Oct 23, 2007

Perhaps maybe EMCE should have waited just a tad bit longer on producing any chase figures if that is really their intention in the first place. Atleast give the newer collectors a chance to get to know EMCE company and line a bit better before marketing exclusive and or rare pieces again if this were their intentions in the first place. There is a possibility that some of us could be wrong about EMCE's intentions. I am not sure yet myself so I will have to wait and let this scenario play out to see what the future actually holds before casting any judgement on my end. I personally do not like a bunch of limiteds and rarities for the above for mentioned reasons regarding scalpers who will no doubt be the one reaping the harvest if this truly does becomes the case. I had and still do from time to time although not as much collect Hot Wheels. Mattel has limiteds, treasure hunts, mystery cars and the list goes on and on with something new "supposedly rare" coming out all of the time. From a collectors perspective it just became too much to keep up with not so much financially (for me atleast), but mind numbing with everything being so called rare and limited. It is a coin name that has proven to work in the past and the company's like Mattel continue to profit from the term. For me personally it was just too much junk to collect or enough space to hold it all in without getting a warehouse sized building to hold it all. Then at that the so called rare items are everywhere or so it seems to me hence forth the term junk in my opinion. eBay is chocked full of it. People are letting the stuff go in lots for a loss most of the time becasue so many collectors already have a ton of it and or no longer desire it as they have to make room for the newer stuff. At any rate I did not want to get too far off topic here I just wanted to use the Mattel saga as an example of what has actually happened in one collectibles field that kind of ruined it for me. I do wish EMCE all the luck in the world and I hope that they continue to create new and exciting figures and lines in the near and not so distant future for all of us collector's to enjoy just like it was originally meant to be in the first place. Nuff said for now.

Happy Megoing and EMCEing!
          Enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy what they like. (C) Azrak 2009

Too much space. Need more toys!

Check out the ever growing Mego like sized vehicles data base.

Comment

• drmego
            EMCE Toys
            • Jun 15, 2001

EMCE Toys does not get to call the tune - Diamond Select Toys holds the Star Trek
            license, so they tell us who to make, how many, and when to deliver.

We can refuse to make a figure - but that's a bad way to handle a relationship -
            so we explain our reasoning and hope that DST understands. We have had a
            very good relationship with them, and they have been very open to our input,
            but they wanted an exclusive figure and we agreed upon Khan.

My advice to everyone here is to find out who to speak to at Planet X and
            Hastings. To the best of my knowledge, nothing has been ordered yet, so
            if you can guarantee them X number of units will be sold through them for
            this exclusive, they should be happy to work with you.
            www.drmego.com
            www.megoman.com
            www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• toys2cool
              Ultimate Mego Warrior
              • Nov 27, 2006

I don't see a problem with this,I love rare exclusives.It gives you something to hunt down and something a little rare.. other then what everyone else has...but that's just me
              "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
              My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• livnxxxl
                • Oct 23, 2007

Doc, Thank you for the explanation (which does make perfect sense) to me anyway. Also thank you for the advice. I did see someone here at the Museum post something about taking some orders if there was enough interest so that is another good idea as well. I am positive that there would be enough interest here at the Museum. Perhaps we as Mego Museum members can get this idea off of the ground and running and do a bulk Member pre order. I have seen this work on other non Mego forums before and it seemed to work well when orchestrated efficiently. I for one am interested in obtaining atleast one Khan prefer two or more (I don't want to be greedy here) as I would like atleast one to open.

Happy Megoing and EMCEing!

Comment

• Remco Monster
                  GLOWS in the Dark!
                  • May 3, 2006

I hate exclusives, always have. I will do what it takes to get Khan, but that is only because I am a big fan of the character. I can't say I will go out of my way for other exclusives though. If they aren't easy to find, and affordable, I would rather spend the cash on vintage. It is real easy for me to pass on modern toys. Vintage style or not.

Comment

• livnxxxl
                    • Oct 23, 2007

A simple solution - How about making screen accurate figures for the "chase figures" and or exclusives? One chase figure per 10 regular/new issued figures or something like that anyway. This would be a simple solution if there just has to be "chase figures" made. Now if we could only get Diamond to buy into our idea. I now know that this is pretty much out of Doc's hands and it is pretty much up to Diamond at this point since they hold the license to Star Trek anyway. "Some day" when EMCE becomes a fortune 500 company and buys up the licenses maybe we can have it our way.

Comment

• Prez.Tonic

Can we get a website for these two stores? I'm up here in Atlantic Canada and don't want to get screwed by the "middle-man".

I really love everything about this ST line and will support it 100%.

Comment

• noelani72
                        27inaleon
                        • Jun 25, 2002

I see what you are saying Paul...but customers shouldn't have to "work" at buying something. I'm not trying to be sarcastic...I'm sure I'll get lucky enough to get a Khan when he comes out...if not, I will always have mine from James..but it was the exclusives that ended it for me when I collected the new Star Wars figs. Once it got to Death Star Commander and Ree-Yees....I gave up. I think it is a little early in the game for Diamond to take this path, but it is their choice and it sounds like there is nothing you or this fine group of people can do except voice that opinion.

Comment

• livnxxxl
                          • Oct 23, 2007

Star Wars is another prime example of exactly what I was typing about earlier with the Mattel/Hot Wheels saga. As a Star Wars fan growing up with and retaining most all of the original figures I just could not bring myself to go after ALL of the too many produced exclusives that Star Wars newly released. Not so much the $$ in my case it was more the principal for me. If one specific category is all that one collects then that is great. However, I collect or did collect many different collectibles at once. Now I have set my sights primarily on Mego and hopefully EMCE.

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

I have every confidence I'll be able to get one of these for retail. I just think with all the networking here we'll take care of each other.
                            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Flynne
                              Permanent Member
                              • Jan 22, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                              I have every confidence I'll be able to get one of these for retail. I just think with all the networking here we'll take care of each other.
                              Hear, hear! It is kind of a drag that Diamond made it exclusive, but the important things to note are that this was out of EMCE hands and, most importantly, the Mego Star Trek line lives again!!! It will take a little bit of work to get one, but most things in life that are worth having are. I plan on being in one of the networks, or having one shipped from the Hastings store about 40 miles from here.
                              An old Irish Blessing - "May those who love us, love us; and if they do not love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He does not turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles, that we may know them by their limping"

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎