Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MadDoc138
    • Feb 21, 2013

Sanding heads to fit?

I've just got a new resin head to make a character called Omega. The neck plug has to be sanded to fit. Can anyone share their experience with this?

Thanks.
  • pmwasson
    Maker
    • Sep 12, 2007

Pretty common. Get a dremel!
    sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• David Lee
      The Fix-it-up Chappie
      • Jun 10, 2002

I use a cylinder shaped cutting tool on my roto tool.... The natural motion of going around the plug kind of takes over. Be careful, you can cut it off, but ya can't cut it on. I put the head in to see where to start and slowly make rounds, checking every other time or so. I also take a little off the hole as well. Slide the head on when it gets close, you want it tight, so stop before it will slide on completely. You want to force it slightly at the end, for a little pop as it makes it over the lip. Be careful not to pop the seam on the chest, if you hear cracking, stop and cut more. The first couple seem hard, but you'll get the hang of it.

Dave
      Last edited by David Lee; Mar 28, '13, 7:24 PM.

Comment

• Killer Iguana
        Museum Super Collector
        • Feb 6, 2013

Would dipping the opening of the chest in boiling water, to soften the plastic, be advised?

Comment

• dr_cyclops
          One eyed, wonder
          • Dec 17, 2009

Originally posted by Killer Iguana
          Would dipping the opening of the chest in boiling water, to soften the plastic, be advised?
          With a CTVTs torso, yes. I was also advised to cut the mold seem a quarter inch on both sides of the neck hole. Two part torsos like on DrMego's, I don't believe any heating will help. By the time the plastic is soft enough, it's already loosing it's shape. For these harder plastic torsos, it's even more important to get the plug to just the right size to prevent the two torso halves from splitting. Even it the torso splits in two, don't worry. Insert head and glue torso halves back together around the neck plug. Allow a couple days to dry completely, and restring the body.

Comment

• fallensaviour
            Talkative Member
            • Aug 28, 2006

I usually widen the neck hole on the torso myself.Personel prefrence as I've had some neck plugs snap off.
            “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• Killer Iguana
              Museum Super Collector
              • Feb 6, 2013

Originally posted by dr_cyclops
              With a CTVTs torso, yes. I was also advised to cut the mold seem a quarter inch on both sides of the neck hole. Two part torsos like on DrMego's, I don't believe any heating will help. By the time the plastic is soft enough, it's already loosing it's shape. For these harder plastic torsos, it's even more important to get the plug to just the right size to prevent the two torso halves from splitting. Even it the torso splits in two, don't worry. Insert head and glue torso halves back together around the neck plug. Allow a couple days to dry completely, and restring the body.
              How about T2 Mego torsos? Thanks, this thread is very helpful.

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                One eyed, wonder
                • Dec 17, 2009

Originally posted by Killer Iguana
                How about T2 Mego torsos? Thanks, this thread is very helpful.
                Vintage mego torsos are molded in one piece like CTVT.

Comment

• rche
                  channeling Bob Wills
                  • Mar 26, 2008

Not sure if all of the newer emce torsos have the screws in them, but I noted that the Leela body did. I am thinking most, if not all of he newer BifBangPow releases will also have the screw torso and pelvis.

Comment

• ctc
                    Fear the monkeybat!
                    • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

It's an accquired skill, fitting a resin head. I usually end up doing a combo of widening the neck hole and filing down the plug. Dremels are a neccessity. A ways back I got a head from Pality that had the plug divided into four equidistant pegs. That combo works pretty good for putting it on; you line it up halfway in, on the gaps between sticky-outie bits and twist.

....and of you REALLY mess up, you can put a tiny eyebolt in the bottom and run an elasticized string to the hip pin.

Don C.

Comment

• David Lee
                      The Fix-it-up Chappie
                      • Jun 10, 2002

Originally posted by ctc

....and of you REALLY mess up, you can put a tiny eyebolt in the bottom and run an elasticized string to the hip pin.

Don C.
                      Great tip/point!

Dave

Comment

• BlackKnight
                        The DarkSide Customizer
                        • Apr 16, 2005

I Prefur the "Ball Joint" Look .., for my Personal Collection.
                        ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• SeattleEd
                          SynthoRes Transmigrator
                          • Oct 24, 2007

Originally posted by BlackKnight
                          I Prefur the "Ball Joint" Look .., for my Personal Collection.
                          Ditto.

Comment

• ctc
                            Fear the monkeybat!
                            • Aug 16, 2001

>I Prefur the "Ball Joint" Look .., for my Personal Collection.

That works too; and if you've decided to go the eyebolt route, adding a ball joint is a good consideration.

Don C.

Comment

• BlackKnight
                              The DarkSide Customizer
                              • Apr 16, 2005

I actually think That Idea is Great Don ..., and Far Faster than what I do. lol.
                              ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎