PDA

View Full Version : Where do Big Jim collectors congregate?

PNGwynne
Mar 24, '13, 11:11 AM
I've been collecting Big Jim for about two years and enjoying it. I'm just cherry-picking items for now & don't feel as compulsive about it as I do Mego lol.

Most of my items are from evilbay, which I dislike, but what can one do?

How do BJ fans/collectors chat/deal/network?

I've found just one forum, Big Jim PACK, and it has only a few members & has been inactive since 2010. I guess I'm used to the bustle of the Museum!

Any advice/references are appreciated!

palitoy
Mar 24, '13, 11:28 AM
From my experiences, learn to speak Italian. ;)

I was heavy into P.A.C.K stuff around 2004, it was my core focus (every ten or so years I get obessed) and I felt like I just missed the party. Most forums were inactive and the "super collectors" were kind of stand offish when I tried to start a forum (one guy was really super duper rude to me). I felt sad, I want every toy line to have a forum like here.

PNGwynne
Mar 24, '13, 11:31 AM
Lol yes, I noticed the Italian site. Killer collection.

I like the spy series, which makes European contacts mandatory, I suppose.

palitoy
Mar 24, '13, 11:35 AM
It's funny, I was the member of one of those sites. The guys were really sweet to me and tolerated the language barrier.

They warned me about "The other forum" and how the guy who ran it was a bad egg, it was oddly familiar....

PNGwynne
Mar 24, '13, 11:44 AM
Well, I've made the mistake of finding a MIB Prof. Obb cheaply, and now I'm hooked.

Otherwise, I was sticking with the domestic adventure stuff.

Fire Marshal Bill
Mar 25, '13, 5:49 PM
I collect Big Jim. Like you, i'm not as into the line as i am Mego or GI Joe but i do pick up the occasional piece. Recently bought a nice Big Jim Camper. Still have my Big Jim and the Kung-Foo Studio from childhood. I've looked for online reference sites for Big Jim and have come up with the Italian sites too. If you ever do find an active forum for Big Jim, let me know. In the mean time, we can just talk about him here. I suppose it's as good a place as any :yes:.

Falstaff13
Mar 25, '13, 6:36 PM
Anyone have any info on the Big Jim Buffalo Bill figure? Rarity? Cost?

PNGwynne
Mar 25, '13, 6:57 PM
Bill, I agree, chatting here is fine--and fun. :smile:

Many here know that I loooove playsets, I have as many playsets as BJ figs lol.

I have complete Karate Studio, Safari Hut, Jungle Truck, Camper, and Sky Commander Jet. I love the studio's details! I wish Mattel had re-purposed the Barbie Dream Boat for Jim, that would have been awesome, it's a great play environment. The Safai Hut is pretty slick-- a Sears exclusive that is both a carry-case & playset.

Figure-wise, I have boxed Karate Jim, Big Josh, Olympic Jack, Prof. OBB, & loose complete Jeff.

kingdom warrior
Mar 25, '13, 9:34 PM
I guess you can make this thread an official Big Jim thread since it's impossible to find a forum to talk about him. I currently only have three figures 2 Big Jims and Dr.Steel a fav of mine.

I haven't had the chance to get into re-buying for fear that i will obsess over getting figures....lol
But Growing up he was my second favorite line and I had the camper and the Wolf Pack...those Kirby boxes were amazing.....

Megotu
Mar 25, '13, 10:28 PM
I can't imagine anyone would have an objection to building a dedicated Big Jim section here in Other Toys...

MIB41
Mar 26, '13, 6:09 AM
When I started restoring my Big Jim collection about 15 years ago, I was pretty amazed by the history of it that I NEVER knew existed. I always assumed, the line died out completely after the mid to late 70's. I had no idea it flourished as well as it did overseas with a wide variety of characters. To this day I don't know the exact period when it actually came to an end. There seem to be such a huge catalog of characters overseas, it's surprising to me that Mattel didn't at least keep that body going in one form or another. I know it even had a few spin offs in the 70's. I have the Tarzan and gorilla set they made which is essentially Big Jeff with Black hair on a Olympic Jim body for the darker skin. They also did Grizzly Adams and Nakoma characters on that body as well.

I was fortunate when I started recollecting Jims back in the late 90's and 2000's. You could get alot of them for a song still boxed. And I did. So I got both editions of Big Jim in the oddly shaped box with the huge back side, as well as the traditional version that has the painted depiction on the front side. Did that with Big Josh, Big Jeff, and Big Jack. I also picked up a nice first edition box of Dr. Steel, although it has a tear on the graphic in front. I scored a nice Zorak boxed as well. But my coolest find was a Olympic Big Jim with all the contents still in the box and I found that right here in the marketplace a few years back. Fantastic price too. But that was about the end of my figure scores. Other figures from my childhood had survive like Torpedo Fist. I would like to find him his original box. But at this stage, they have gotten pricey enough that I wouldn't mind getting some repro boxes now to finish that out. But I've never seen anyone who makes them as well as the Mego boxes. Plus their a little bigger so they have to be made a little more sturdy to hold these figures.

I've got the Camper boxed and quite a few of the outfit sets. I think my favorite in that lot is the baseball/catcher set. I retained the Beast from my childhood, but it has certainly seen better days. They occasionally have a good sell for the Beast in auctions. I also have a carrying case for the early figures. Outside of Dr. Steel and Torpedo Fist, I don't have any of the other Pack figures. Wish I had gotten them when they were cheap. But my basic love is for the those original figures. I enjoy looking at them in their boxes and remember the great times I had , because they were most definitely an outdoor figure to be played with. Great memories.

Fire Marshal Bill
Mar 26, '13, 4:41 PM
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb295/wildbirdman/Action%20Figures/Big%20Jim/P4300132.jpg

PNGwynne
Mar 26, '13, 5:01 PM
^That's great! My fish is green, not blue...

Tom, I think the line ended around 1986 with the space/sci-fi series. I often refer to Tomart's AFD #55-56 as a guide. I only have two outfit sets: Safari Hunter and the very detailed, beautiful Scuba set. Like you, I did find an early carry-case.

I never had any BJ figs as a kid--I recall coveting Steel & Zorak, though, & thinking Torpedo Fist looked really cool.

Megotu, I like your idea of a place here for Big Jim...

MIB41
Mar 27, '13, 10:54 AM
I think a place just for Big Jims would be awesome. There is so much information to be discussed and gathered from various sources. It would be nice to have a "go-to" place to share all of that.

megoat
Mar 27, '13, 11:01 AM
I'd love to collect Big Jim, but unfortunately I'm only interested in PACK items and the prices for nice complete examples are a bit more than I want to spend.....the cheaper pre PACK stuff is of no interest to me....

megocrazy
Mar 27, '13, 1:26 PM
Funny, I actually had Big Jim as a kid but was never into them as much as I was my mego figures. My mego's traveled much in the Big Jim camper. I recently just obtained one in a collection and while I thought it was cool to see again, I'll probably lug it to the Meet if I opt to get a table. It just didn't have that got to get it back appeal for me. If anyone is interested in a camper LMK. I'd much rather see it stay in the Mego family, even though it's not a Mego product.

convoy357
Mar 27, '13, 3:25 PM
I run across so much Big Jim stuff in the vintage GI Joe lots that I buy, that I decided to put a few figures together and add them to my variety of collections here. I've not been accumulating BJ stuff for long, but I don't have alot of room for it either. I made a few trades both here and on another board for some odds and ends. My best score was a trade with a guy that had a box full of PACK figures. We agreed on a deal for one figure and when the box arrived, he had sent me 4! .....just for the hell of it! I received Dr. Steel, Zorak, BJ Blue Commander, and BJ Double Trouble Commander. All had their original outfits and gear and were in perfect condition too. Nice guy! I also recently picked up a Lazer Vette on eBay mint in box for about $25. I have a Whip figure and a Torpedo Fist here, but still looking for some of the pieces to complete them. I have some of the original figures and stuff too. I have a few Big Josh, a Big Jack, a Big Jeff minus his tan shorts, and a Chief Tanakua. If anyone is interested in trading, I have a camper here that needs to find a home. I also have extra body parts and a huge box full of outfits and accessories.

PNGwynne
Mar 27, '13, 4:13 PM
^That was a sweet PACK score!

Fire Marshal Bill
Mar 27, '13, 5:16 PM
Yeah, i've gotten bags of misc. Big Jim parts and accessories from guys in my local GI Joe Collector's Club. Once they found out i collected Big Jim, they had a place to dump all the stuff that they find mixed in with the GI Joe lots they buy :smiley1:. Good for me though. One of the guys recently snagged this neat PACK swamp patrol boat for me.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb295/wildbirdman/Action%20Figures/Big%20Jim/681C1013-4C3F-471D-806A-0BBEDE146EDA-1362-000000D4649DA680.jpg

Fire Marshal Bill
Mar 27, '13, 5:19 PM
BTW, if anyone ever comes across a half piece of the karate board in dark brown, i could use it. It's the last piece i need to complete my Kung Foo studio. The lighter brown pieces that came with the figures are fairly common, but i guess the dark brown version only came with the KFS playset. Thanks!

LadyZod
Mar 27, '13, 5:34 PM
And here I thought Big Jim collectors congregated exclusively at my house... all 2 of us.

Actually I knew of the Italian love for Big Jim and the boys, but never exclusively sort out a forum or fandom. I look at the Mego Museum as my one size fits all, for all my toy and nerd loving ways.

Iron Mego
Mar 27, '13, 5:47 PM
Never had Big Jim as a kid, but I recall a cousin having the early Olympic figures, and some friends having PACK figures. I was always intrigued by Zorak and Dr. Steel. I occasionally search for deals on eBay, but the auctions always end high and the BINS are out of my range.

PNGwynne
Mar 27, '13, 5:53 PM
yes, the nicer figure def. go higher than the accessories

convoy357
Mar 27, '13, 7:35 PM
BTW, if anyone ever comes across a half piece of the karate board in dark brown, i could use it. It's the last piece i need to complete my Kung Foo studio. The lighter brown pieces that came with the figures are fairly common, but i guess the dark brown version only came with the KFS playset. Thanks!

I have a complete one that I just rec'd with a bunch of other stuff. I'm not sure if I have just the 1/2 xtra piece here or not but I'll look.

cjefferys
Mar 27, '13, 10:16 PM
I'd love to collect Big Jim, but unfortunately I'm only interested in PACK items and the prices for nice complete examples are a bit more than I want to spend.....the cheaper pre PACK stuff is of no interest to me....

Yeah, the pre PACK stuff doesn't do much for me either (although I had some as a kid) but I love the PACK items, wish I picked some up back when they were cheaper. Some of the later European and Mexican items are awesome too (secret agents, pirates, aliens, bionics, etc!), it's probably inevitable that I'll eventually be dipping my toe into collecting these guys.

hedrap
Mar 27, '13, 10:45 PM
I've ended up with a lot of pieces from lots, but I resell most of it.

The PACK stuff is nice mainly because of Kirby's influence, but if I had the space and money, I would have most of the Spy line. That stuff is incredible.

ScottA
Mar 27, '13, 11:39 PM
I love the line but don't know enough about it. I'm sure I have Big Jim pieces i my parts box but couldn't tell you who/what they belong to.

HardyGirl
Mar 27, '13, 11:55 PM
I was babysitting last night and Cory (age 6), and I were playing w/ my Big Jim guys, the Sports Camper, gear and assorted animals attacking the camp. It was too funny, when I opened the carrying case I keep my Big Jim gear in, he exclaimed "Holy Crackanoli!" :smiley1: I don't have any PACK stuff, mostly camping stuff, and a few random sports pieces I got from a surprise grab bag at a toy show. I do have Warpath (renamed Blackhawk), and The Whip, (renamed Big John), Dr. Steel, (w/ a plain hand, 'cos his silver one broke), along w/ 2 Big Jims, Big Jack, Big Josh and 2 Big Jeffs (one missing a foot), and a camping tent.

bleit1701
Mar 28, '13, 12:48 AM
I still have the Big Jim from my childhhood but one hand is broken off. Had the Airplane playset and the Laservette. I think that was it's name. You pushed a button on the dash and two panels in the hood flipped over exposing two lasers. I never got tired of of that feature. Had some sports pieces too.

starsky
Mar 28, '13, 1:24 AM
i still have my blue commander but his leg broke off and has been retaped to his body. i played the heck out of him!

MIB41
Mar 28, '13, 11:47 AM
I guess because of the cultural changes, it may be hard to ever get Big Jim back as he first appeared. I think the social messaging is so warped today that people would take him out of context. And that's too bad. He was just a 70's jock/outdoors sportsman. And most kids today can not relate with that being most sit deaf in front of a video game. Big Jim just really illustrates how different play time was for us as kids versus casual times for kids today. Two different worlds entirely.

kingdom warrior
Mar 28, '13, 1:02 PM
I guess because of the cultural changes, it may be hard to ever get Big Jim back as he first appeared. I think the social messaging is so warped today that people would take him out of context. And that's too bad. He was just a 70's jock/outdoors sportsman. And most kids today can not relate with that being most sit deaf in front of a video game. Big Jim just really illustrates how different play time was for us as kids versus casual times for kids today. Two different worlds entirely.

Actually, Big Jims Pack would still do well as a covert rescue team. Modernize the look, make a CGI action TV show throw it on the Hub...and you may have a hit once again....it's not that hard.....

Check out these cool modern 12 customs

http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/sixth-scale-action-figure-news-reviews-discussion/636852-big-jim-wolfpack-12-inch-custom-blast-past.html

EmergencyIan
Mar 28, '13, 7:24 PM
Those are some great Big Jim Wolf Pack customs! That guy paid great homage.

I'm actually a member of that site, but I just don't visit too often, these days.

- Ian

David Lee
Apr 25, '13, 7:09 PM
Where do Big Jim collectors congregate? Everyone knows that... over in the BIG GYM!

Dave

PNGwynne
Apr 25, '13, 8:29 PM
lol That would be a great site name.

Saroyan
Apr 25, '13, 9:06 PM
I had a Big Jim growing up. I remember taking him to kindergarten for show and tell and one of the other kids showed me the button on his back! I had no idea he could do awesome karate chops!

I really wanted the PACK but for some reason never got any of them.

I would love to collect Big Jim but spend more than enough money on Mego, Gi Joe, Hot Wheels, etc., I don't need to add another toy to collect- I know I will one day though.

haran_banjo_
May 8, '13, 1:35 PM
Hi everybody!
I'm the old owner of an italian Big-Jim forum, Brian know me very well and he was mine member in the past.
I started only with italians people but in few time I understand the important of a multilanguage forum and I asked expressly to write in italian and the same things in english for to invite no italian people to join us.
I found a lot of french people, some germans and three americans. I continued with my ideas for many years, but some problems in my life, job and family, forced me to think first to other things and leave the forum. I'm came back three months ago 'cause I solved many problems in my life and now it's all almost ok.
If Brian need an expert in Big-Jim I'm here to help!!! :-D

PNGwynne
May 19, '13, 5:19 PM
Welcome! Thank you for the introduction--I'm Trying to broaden both my knowlwdge & collection of Big Jim.

Big Tibo
Oct 28, '13, 4:47 AM
Hey everybody !
I'm just new here. I couldn't find any presentation section.
My main collection is about Big Jim but I also collect many toys from my childhood.
I am also administrator of the French Big Jim forum : THE place where Big Jim fans gather. We're almost 350.

http://big-jim-fr.max2forum.com/

We are working together to collect every single detail about the toyline.
Always need some members. Especially US members.

starsky
Mar 19, '15, 2:23 PM
big jim buy sell trade facebook group just started for those interested.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/877473478941263/877501865605091/?notif_t=group_activity

ddgaff1132
Dec 2, '17, 1:20 PM
What I need is a site with a good US check list. I had a big Jim as a child and apparently the foreign Jim's came with different gear then the US versions. My first childhood Jim was the orange pelvis version and had orange trunks.
The accessories I recall with him are the trunks, karate board, black dumbbell, the muscle armband and some paperwork or little catalog's in the box.
Later I got an all star Jim and I think he only came with the Olympic metal around his neck.
I'd be the first to admit m memory is not the greatest but I do not recall any of my Big Jim's containing a shot- put like the foreign Big Jim sites show. US probably didn't have this due to the choking hazard.

PNGwynne
Dec 2, '17, 6:37 PM
The Gold medal figures came with a promotional card, an iron-on patch, and a sealed baggie containing a gold medal, a chromed arm-band, a black dumbbell, and a black shot-put. I have a Big Jack in that issue, with the red, white, and blue Olympic trunks and open hands.

ddgaff1132
Dec 9, '17, 11:10 AM
Thank you PNGwynne That helped a bit. Does anyone know if the European releases of Big Jim differed from the US releases? I hate to go looking for accessories blindly only to find US and Europe Jim releases differed. If all were the same I can at least use the many foreign Big Jim pages as reference.

spidertick
Dec 29, '17, 12:34 AM
European releases were different from the US sets. Lots more choices. I am putting up pics of the backs from some of the outfits I have.Some of the figures from Europe had gripping hands.
http://megomuseum.com/mmgallery/files/8/7/5/0/p1050422.jpg
http://megomuseum.com/mmgallery/files/8/7/5/0/p1050439.jpg
http://megomuseum.com/mmgallery/files/8/7/5/0/p1050441.jpg
http://megomuseum.com/mmgallery/files/8/7/5/0/p1050444.jpg
http://megomuseum.com/mmgallery/files/8/7/5/0/p1050455.jpg
http://megomuseum.com/mmgallery/files/8/7/5/0/p1050471.jpg
http://megomuseum.com/mmgallery/files/8/7/5/0/p1090905.jpg
http://megomuseum.com/mmgallery/files/8/7/5/0/p1050436.jpg
http://megomuseum.com/mmgallery/files/8/7/5/0/p1050425.jpg
http://megomuseum.com/mmgallery/files/8/7/5/0/p1050433.jpg

Big Tibo
Jan 16, '18, 6:02 AM
The Gold medal figures came with a promotional card, an iron-on patch, and a sealed baggie containing a gold medal, a chromed arm-band, a black dumbbell, and a black shot-put. I have a Big Jack in that issue, with the red, white, and blue Olympic trunks and open hands.

Actually, there were different releases. The most commun came with the iron-on patch plus fill-in paperwork that could make you win a real size olympuc medal. There is another version that did not came with this extra stuff. Only the figure with the medal, armband and dumbell (I have to check it again but I guess this is it). Boxed are easy to compare : the first one has a huge olympic logo on the front box, the second one has not.

PNGwynne
Jan 16, '18, 6:35 PM
Thanks Thibault--I will have to check my Jack's packaging.