X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Big Jim speaks!

How I loved my talking Big Jim when I was four and if I can find it kicking around here, I remember that back pack still worked at the last pull. A lot of stuff gets said about Jim these days but he rocked my world as a kid.
    For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • HardyGirl
    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
    • Apr 3, 2007

The pack in the photo looks like the Rescue Rig pack. That one says different things that the camping pack. Sadly I never had either one, but I do have a lot of 1st series Big Jim stuff.
    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

Big Jim is a figure I have loved to this day. In many ways he was the one figure I related with the most because of the outdoor accessories. Camping, sports, and the attire that went with it just made him a natural when I wanted to recreate that experience. Plus he was really the first figure to actually have a physique that reflected more of a realistic tone in this hobby. And to this day I have yet to see any company duplicate or top his flexing bicep. I think it was way ahead of it's day. And I'm still not sold on suggestions that his "pals" had a different "orientation". I've always felt Big Jim and friends reflected the ideal Alpha male experience of outdoor adventures. They were the Marlboro man watered down for kids. He was the logger on that Big John can of beans. And the original outfit Big Josh wore is reflective of the late 60's early 70's attire in that same vein. It's easy to look back on really all fashion of that era and wonder what the heck we were thinking. But in this situation, I don't think there were ulterior motives in play. These were really the only figures that promoted that rugged, outdoors man stereotype. It's truly sad that of all the lines which have been revived, this one remains dormant.

Pretty much looks like him and that artwork doesn't it? Feed'em beans!
      Last edited by MIB41; Mar 14, '13, 8:31 AM.

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
        To Fear is Not Logical...
        • Feb 17, 2008

I still have my Big Jim. Tapped on hand and all. I think the reason that it has not seen a revival, because to me the muscle flex and the karate chop would be essential to the character and I think these days to produce that you would be looking at a $40-$50 figure at retail. I don't think Mattel would do a nostalgia run on that.
        It's all good!

Comment

• HardyGirl
          • Apr 3, 2007

OMG! I remember those beans! And that probably explains why there was never a Big John figure, (both the song and the beans), so I named The Whip Big John.

Originally posted by MIB41
          Big Jim is a figure I have loved to this day. In many ways he was the one figure I related with the most because of the outdoor accessories. Camping, sports, and the attire that went with it just made him a natural when I wanted to recreate that experience. Plus he was really the first figure to actually have a physique that reflected more of a realistic tone in this hobby. And to this day I have yet to see any company duplicate or top his flexing bicep. I think it was way ahead of it's day. And I'm still not sold on suggestions that his "pals" had a different "orientation". I've always felt Big Jim and friends reflected the ideal Alpha male experience of outdoor adventures. They were the Marlboro man watered down for kids. He was the logger on that Big John can of beans. And the original outfit Big Josh wore is reflective of the late 60's early 70's attire in that same vein. It's easy to look back on really all fashion of that era and wonder what the heck we were thinking. But in this situation, I don't think there were ulterior motives in play. These were really the only figures that promoted that rugged, outdoors man stereotype. It's truly sad that of all the lines which have been revived, this one remains dormant.

Pretty much looks like him and that artwork doesn't it? Feed'em beans!

Comment

• boss
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 18, 2003

Best beans ever. Too bad they don't make them anymore.
            Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• Random Axe
              The Voice of Reason
              • Apr 16, 2008

I never found out what the fixins were...
              I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• ddgaff1132
                Persistent Member
                • Oct 3, 2007

Unfortunately, I auctioned off the last Big Jim I had before I could check some things out. I want to find out how the hands are attached inside the wrist. I have noted some Ken hand look similar in size and sculpt. So an idea has been buzzing in my brain about the possibility of transplanting a Ken hand onto a Big Jim???
                As UnderDogDJLSW mentioned. "I still have my Big Jim. Tapped on hand and all." Hand breaks seem to be a prevailing issue with Big Jim Figures.
                Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
                MEGO MOTORS

Comment

• ddgaff1132
                  Persistent Member
                  • Oct 3, 2007

Originally posted by Random Axe
                  I never found out what the fixins were...
                  Molasses and Brown Sugar!!! MMMM MMmm!!! 8D
                  Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
                  MEGO MOTORS

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by ddgaff1132
                    I want to find out how the hands are attached inside the wrist. I have noted some Ken hand look similar in size and sculpt. So an idea has been buzzing in my brain about the possibility of transplanting a Ken hand onto a Big Jim???
                    Big Jim's hands have a half inch long peg that slides into a hollow tube inside the arm that catches and holds it in place. I'm not sure how Ken hands are connected. But if his construction is similar, they may work if you can extract the broken peg out of the tube with some needle nose pliers. Best of luck!

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                      OH JES!!
                      • Jul 21, 2005

I had that bad boy......always had fun with Big Jim and his buddies, I recently bought my daughter a Barbie camper and it brought memories of when i had the Big Jim camper hours of good imaginative fun....

Comment

• HardyGirl
                        • Apr 3, 2007

My Dr. Steel's hand (the one w/ the metal paint) split right down the middle. I had to perform surgery w/ an old broken, toy melted body. The damaged hand popped out, and the new one popped back in again. Ken dolls have hands molded onto their arms, they don't come out. You could probably find a junked out Big Jim body if you wanted one.

Originally posted by ddgaff1132
                        Unfortunately, I auctioned off the last Big Jim I had before I could check some things out. I want to find out how the hands are attached inside the wrist. I have noted some Ken hand look similar in size and sculpt. So an idea has been buzzing in my brain about the possibility of transplanting a Ken hand onto a Big Jim???
                        As UnderDogDJLSW mentioned. "I still have my Big Jim. Tapped on hand and all." Hand breaks seem to be a prevailing issue with Big Jim Figures.

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

One distinction of Big Jim I remember was finding different versions of him (like this) in traditional department stores like JC Pennys. I remember getting my first Big Josh there. But it wasn't the standard box version with the shorts and vest. It was the Eagle set with Big Josh dressed in a green shirt and tan pants. I'm proud to say both he, his outfit, and the eagle with the arm brace survived my childhood and did not have to be replaced. I always thought that was a cool piece as a kid, so I always kept it in a safe place.

Here's a stock photo of what he looked like in the box. I wish my box would have survived, but maybe some day we'll find someone who has access to the graphics to make nice repros of these.

Last edited by MIB41; Mar 28, '13, 8:42 PM.

Comment

• Iron Mego
                            Wake Up Heavy
                            • Jan 31, 2010

Lovin' all the Big Jim love on the boards! I have been perusing eBay for Big Jim stuff for a couple months now. It's a little daunting. I felt that way with Mego when I started collecting them again, and this site helped so much. Hoping it will be even half as helpful with my Big Jim questions.
                            Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Captain
                              Fighting the good fight!
                              • Jun 17, 2001

"Looks bad. Be careful"
                              "Send a rescue truck!"
                              "I'm going in for a look!"

Big Jim was a favourite when I was a kid. Wish Matty would bring him back.
                              "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎