X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • knight errant00
    8 Inch Action Figure
    • Nov 15, 2005

Dying New CTVT Female Heads

Has anyone tried dying one of the new CTVT female heads? As I alluded to in a post elsewhere, I want to try to give a brunette head green skin. Anyone with experience? Tips? Lessons learned? I want to try to get something close go the green female body color.

Thanks!
  • lilbrosj66
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 4, 2011

I just dyed a WOZ Dorothy head pink using RIT dye. I used the Scarlett red dye and boiling water in a glass measuring cup and mixed it pretty weak and it turned out great. The vinyl the head is made of seems to pick up the color pretty quick so I suggest mixing the green dye on the weak side and checking it often. You can always go darker if you need to.

Comment

• megowgsh
      Customego HoF Curator
      • Nov 19, 2003

No offense fellas, and not to be a ******-bag, but threads and posts like these are useless without pictures. Show us the finished product so we can determine if it is right for us to do.

Thank you!
      Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• Bronxboykev
        Permanent Member
        • Mar 7, 2011

How long did you keep the head in the dye? Did you let the water cool after boiling and adding the dye or does it need to be hot when you dunk the head?

Comment

• Killer Iguana
          Museum Super Collector
          • Feb 6, 2013

I would like to see how they look.

Comment

• lilbrosj66
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 4, 2011

I'm working on a repaint of the Dorothy head I dyed and will try to post pics tomorrow. The colour turned out very even. Going to try green next.

Comment

• lilbrosj66
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 4, 2011

Here is a quick shot of two WOZ Dorothy heads dyed using RIT powdered dye and boiling hot water. The red/pink seems to have picked up the dye better and fast than the green. Not sure how other colors will do or how the process will work on the new CTVT heads but the red is much more saturated and even in tone. The red/pink only took about 5 minutes to pick up the color. The green only got as dark as you see after 30minutes.

006.jpg008.jpg

Comment

• JediJaida
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 14, 2008

Maybe it's because she was such an odd shade of pink herself that threw off the saturation of the green dye.

Her skin tone was MUCH rosier than the other Mego gals.
                JediJaida

Comment

• lilbrosj66
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 4, 2011

That very well could be. And the head that I dyed green was even more of an off-color shade of pink than they are originally. The Saranik Natu head was more fleshy to begin with. I'm not going to be brave enought to dry and dye my Zica gal's head when I get her. Not after waiting this long.....still waiting.....and waiting.....

Comment

• knight errant00
                    8 Inch Action Figure
                    • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by lilbrosj66
                    Not sure how other colors will do or how the process will work on the new CTVT heads but the red is much more saturated and even in tone. The red/pink only took about 5 minutes to pick up the color. The green only got as dark as you see after 30minutes.
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]4752[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4753[/ATTACH]
                    That would be in keeping withthe other posts I uncovered here at the MM after starting this thread -- because of the orange dye in the vinyl, they take warm colors like red or orange well, but cool blues and greens poorly.

Guess that means for a green head, you need to either paint it or start with a base head that's white or at least blue or green.

Comment

• Bronxboykev
                      Permanent Member
                      • Mar 7, 2011

how did you protect the hair when dying.

Comment

• lilbrosj66
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 4, 2011

Originally posted by Bronxboykev
                        how did you protect the hair when dying.
                        That is actually a re-root I did after dying the head.

Comment

• JediJaida
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jun 14, 2008

Hmmmm....the more I think about it, the more I find the idea of a bald, white female head intriguing.

Imagine the possibilities as to dye jobs, rooting jobs, paint jobs.

A head that is completely white, unpainted, where you can dye it to any color you want; red, blue, orange, green, purple, brown, light brown, etc. Then comes the paint apps, i.e. eyes, brows, lips, cheeks. Then come the different types of hair color.

Or, you can even leave the head completely white, and give it a Frost Queen kind of look; blue highlights for the cheeks and lips, with icy blue eyes, and matching ice blue hair.

Of course, you'd need a white female body to go with it.

Like I said, intriguing.
                          JediJaida

Comment

• SeattleEd
                            SynthoRes Transmigrator
                            • Oct 24, 2007

So far green dyes have not been very friendly with adhering to white parts for me. It's been mostly a slight hit or overall miss. Haven't honed in on the right shade of green. Either too light or too dark.

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
                              Formerly known as Del
                              • Dec 12, 2004

Just out of curiosity, if you're going to reroot anyway, why bother dying the head? If you use quality acrylic paints or those auto vinyl colors you will get a durable paint job in the color you want without the guesswork. I made a Starfire for someone using Liquitex paints. I painted the scalp the same shade as the hair I bought for the reroot, then painted the skin tone just where the scalp ended. Even with me poking the vinyl, the paint stayed pretty much unblemished. Once the reroot was done, I protected the hair with plastic, finished the paint job, then sprayed it with Testor's Dullcote. I had no problems with the paint coming off.
                              Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
                              https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
                              http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎