X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grendel
    Museum Super Collector
    • Apr 21, 2006

Silver surfer quarter

So, "20th Century Fox and The Franklin Mint have altered 40,000 U.S. quarters to feature the Marvel Comics character".

Guess the government is not pleased.

Of course, these are already selling for mucho dinero on eBay...
  • joshvox
    Clown Prince of Crime
    • Mar 21, 2006

Originally posted by Grendel

Guess the government is not pleased.
    I would imagine not...

Comment

• jwyblejr
      galactic yo-yo
      • Apr 6, 2006

I'm sure they're ticked they didn't think of it first.

Comment

• JDeRouen
        Author of Small Things
        • Jun 14, 2001

Yikes!!

--
        Order Small Things, my contemporary fantasy novel featuring Megos, at http://joederouen.com/?page_id=176

Comment

• jemboy2004
          Persistent Member
          • Aug 14, 2005

I think it's sort of cool, it's different for a hero collectiable.

I'm curious what the original price for these SS coins were. I would think 40,000 is enough to go around for all the SS collectors out there.

Comment

• Hulk
            Mayor of Megoville
            • May 10, 2003

Wow, I can imagine the scammers will be all over this one as well. I wonder if they are showing up all over the country, select areas, movie theaters, or what?

Comment

• toys2cool
              Ultimate Mego Warrior
              • Nov 27, 2006

wow saw one up to $200+ already,that's freakin' crazy
              "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
              My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• tmthor
                God of Knock-offs
                • Nov 29, 2005

Originally posted by Hulk
                Wow, I can imagine the scammers will be all over this one as well. I wonder if they are showing up all over the country, select areas, movie theaters, or what?
                Al that will be available is in the hands of Ebayers by now. just wait 40,000 is alot they will be dirt cheep in oh 2 months.

Comment

• Shanester
                  Rocket-Man
                  • Jun 22, 2001

Originally posted by tmthor
                  Al that will be available is in the hands of Ebayers by now. just wait 40,000 is alot they will be dirt cheep in oh 2 months.
                  IF the government does not seize them. I am a Numismatist of over 25 years and I have seen the US government step in and seize many coins that they felt were "illegal". Just before the Sacagawea Dollar first came out, a few people were able to sneak some out before the official release and sell them on Ebay. They went crazy high for some stupid reason, but the Secret Service stepped in and shut them down and seized them. Altering coins really bunches their undies.

Comment

• Meule
                    Verbose Member
                    • Nov 14, 2004

You should check some of the completed listings... $1,000 for 8 coins or $200+ for a single one
                    I'd understand this better if there were only 100 made, but there's 40,000 of these out there. By the time the guy who bought 8 gets his coins he won't be able to sell them for a profit anymore.
                    "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Hulk
                      Mayor of Megoville
                      • May 10, 2003

Originally posted by Meule
                      You should check some of the completed listings... $1,000 for 8 coins or $200+ for a single one
                      I'd understand this better if there were only 100 made, but there's 40,000 of these out there. By the time the guy who bought 8 gets his coins he won't be able to sell them for a profit anymore.
                      You might be underestimating the popularity of coin collecting in the US (and the world). Having the US Government call these illegal defacing of US Currency only adds to their mystique. Add comic book / superhero collectors into the mix, and you have a deadly combination. I can see these potentially maintaining a value of over $100 each, with short term spikes well above that. It will be interesting to see how this story develops, and seeing where the prices go after the movie hype has died down.

Comment

• Meule
                        Verbose Member
                        • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by Hulk
                        You might be underestimating the popularity of coin collecting in the US (and the world). Having the US Government call these illegal defacing of US Currency only adds to their mystique. Add comic book / superhero collectors into the mix, and you have a deadly combination. I can see these potentially maintaining a value of over $100 each, with short term spikes well above that. It will be interesting to see how this story develops, and seeing where the prices go after the movie hype has died down.
                        Maybe I am, but still... $200 for a QUARTER?
                        Then again, those coin collectors probably say the same about us: $10K for a dollie? I guess you gotta be in that particular hobby to understand it.
                        But $200 for a quarter? Man, I'd feel ripped off
                        "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Grendel
                          Museum Super Collector
                          • Apr 21, 2006

Whenever the Silver Surfer quarter appears...

one week later, that world is destroyed.

By the Galactus dollar coin.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎