Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were vehicles plastic wrapped in their boxes?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megoscott
    Founding Partner
    • Nov 17, 2006

Were vehicles plastic wrapped in their boxes?

BATMAN BATMOBILE MEGO MIB RARE 1974 STILL SEALED MUST C - eBay (item 280199509886 end time Feb-16-08 09:02:24 PST)

Dunno if this auction item is original plastic wrapping, but it made me realize I have no idea if they wrapped/bagged vehicles before boxing them. Every vehicle boxed I've ever had was opened in some way. And did Mego apply the Batmobile stickers or did they come on a sheet?
    This profile is no longer active.
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

I had a case of Batcycles at one point and there was no plastic wrap, that's the only thing I have to base this on.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Captain
      Fighting the good fight!
      • Jun 17, 2001

All my childhood Mego vehicles (Spidercar, batmobile, batcopter, and Bat-cycle) came with decals applied, and were not plastic wrapped. They all had a cardboard retainer keeping them from moving around in the box, but no plastic wrap, wire ties, or anything else of the like. No external plastic either....I dont even rmember there being tape to hold the flaps open.....and looking at the boxes right now, there is no residue from there ever having been tape on them.
      "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• Meule
        Verbose Member
        • Nov 14, 2004

The parts for Fonzie's Jalopy are all bagged and the stickers come on a sheet, don't know about the other vehicles tho
        "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• SUPERUNDERDOGGIE
          Museum Chaplain
          • Nov 26, 2002

Every one I've seen boxed had no bag and had the stickers on it. I would be very shocked if they shipped with unapplied labels as I've never seen an example of that. Even the one in this auction inside the supposed original bag has the labels already on it.

I'm glad you asked this question...I saw that auction and didn't think twice about the bag, but now that you mention it I've never heard of that ever.
          "God has put definite limits on the heights of man's wisdom, but no limits to the depths of his stupidity"

Comment

• megoscott
            Founding Partner
            • Nov 17, 2006

That jives with my memory. Batmobile and Batcycle had stickers applied. Wish I could remember the packaging. I bet I had Sears mailers.

What about Jokermobile Batlab? All those wacky effects stickers had to come on a sheet...
            This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• Hulk
              Mayor of Megoville
              • May 10, 2003

I had several Batmobiles as a kid, and none of them were plastic wrapped.

Comment

• Wee67
                Museum Correspondent
                • Apr 2, 2002

I clearly remember my Spider-Car, Capt Americar and Green Arrow Car not having any plastic wrap.

Then again, I did a lot of weed when I was 7.
                WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Meule
                  Verbose Member
                  • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by MegoScott
                  What about Jokermobile Batlab? All those wacky effects stickers had to come on a sheet...
                  I've never seen two Batlabs or Jokermobiles that had the stickers on the same place, so surely those came on a sticker sheet?
                  "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Megosean
                    Old School Megoer
                    • Jun 2, 2007

Buck Rogers

The Buck Rogers line spaceships came sealed in baggies with stickers unapplied so maybe they started doing this with the later issue Batmobiles (and others) as well? Then again, they were sealed in a bag, not folded like that one so...
                    I have way, way, way too many toys.
                    http://www.toysyouhad.com

Comment

• ThatBatmanGuy
                      Career Member
                      • May 14, 2007

Originally posted by Meule
                      I've never seen two Batlabs or Jokermobiles that had the stickers on the same place, so surely those came on a sticker sheet?
                      The BatLab I got for Christmas back around 75 or 76 had some of the stickers applied. The ones on the wheels and the "BATMAN" sticker on the front were applied at the factory. I applied the rest myself. No plastic wrap either. Pretty much loose in the box. Heck the "BATMAN" nose sticker had rubs on it already.

Bob

Comment

• the editor
                        Permanent Member
                        • Mar 23, 2003

Hey there party people! Thought I'd chime in - - - I have an illustrated yellow/orange boxed as well as an old stock brown mailer box version of the Batmobile > both came without plastic bags & with stickers attached.

I think that whole wrapped in plastic movement began in the late 70's - and grew as society became more and more obsessed with sterility. These days - if you have kids in particular - you'll notice that they wrap every single thing in a bit of plastic and then tied down with that annoying micro rubber band stuff that drives me friggin' nuts.

By the way - it's been close to 5 months since I last visited!!! ***? I am out of it! Talk soon!
                        President - Magician's Alliance

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Ken! great to see you
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• the editor
                            Permanent Member
                            • Mar 23, 2003

WORD! BTW: Bri you get my message sort of concerning this topic? Don't mean to thread kill - - - errr, keep talking everyone, y'know about the plastic wrappings and stuff...um...vehicles...(well, Bri?)...decals...err
                            President - Magician's Alliance

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                              MeGoing
                              • May 14, 2003

Interesting question...and answers.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎