X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mego73
    Printed paperboard Tiger
    • Aug 1, 2003

Lou Schiemer Filmation humor

I just got the Groovie Goolies set and listened to the commentary on one of the episodes.

The host was talking about how the cartoon had that "Filmation signature look"

Lou Schiemer chimed in at that and said "Yeah, nothing is moving!"

mego73@hotmail.com
  • johnmiic
    Adrift
    • Sep 6, 2002

It's cool that he has a sense of humor about the limited Filmation style.

At the same time tho, why didn't he do something about it? Make it better!!!

I used to despise Filmation cartoons but now I find I want to see Flash Gordon, The Space Sentinels, The New Adventures of Batman, maybe even the Freedom Force. I've been picking up their live action shows as soon as they are released.

Another funny thing: durning the commentary for an ep of Jason of Star Command he admits he still has Peepo and the spacecraft models at home. But he says, " Gee I wish I would'a brought them with me for the DVD..."

DOH!!!!!!

Comment

• HardyGirl
      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
      • Apr 3, 2007

I like Filmation cartoons, (though I like to pronounce it Filmnation). The style is different from HB cartoons, but even as a kid, I was impressed by Tarzan. They came pretty close to approximating human movements w/ that character.
      "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

I ALWAYS like filmation toons over anyone else's even as a kid, I identified "Prescott Scheimer" (pronounced "Prescott Schemer" as a child) as goodness.

Lou Scheimer is also a pure joy to meet, I admit I gushed but he was really interested in talking to me. One of the highlights of last year's SDCC:

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• mego73
          Printed paperboard Tiger
          • Aug 1, 2003

Originally posted by johnmiic
          It's cool that he has a sense of humor about the limited Filmation style.

At the same time tho, why didn't he do something about it? Make it better!!!

I used to despise Filmation cartoons but now I find I want to see Flash Gordon, The Space Sentinels, The New Adventures of Batman, maybe even the Freedom Force. I've been picking up their live action shows as soon as they are released.

Another funny thing: durning the commentary for an ep of Jason of Star Command he admits he still has Peepo and the spacecraft models at home. But he says, " Gee I wish I would'a brought them with me for the DVD..."

DOH!!!!!!
          I think for the budget they had, they made them as well as they could at the time. I compare FM to Hanna Barbara's stuff that was being made at the same time and the first thing I notice is that the backgrounds on FM are a lot better then HB. In general, I like Filmations look better than Hanna Barbara's when it comes to stuff they were making at the early 1970's. The backgrounds were more detailed and it has a cleaner look.

I had noticed that Lou Schiemer does seem a bit absent minded and a little off on the dates (He also talked about Jason being Indiana Jonesish when this was made before Raiders)but I read he has Parkinson's Disease and that explains a lot.

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• filmation batman fan
            The Man of Many Voices
            • Aug 30, 2005

Lou Scheimer and Filmation

The question was asked, why didn't Filmation try to do better in terms of movement in animation. I can tell you why. This interview was either on one of the HeMan boxsets or maybe it was the Blackstar set, but unlike other animation studios, Filmation wanted to keep their productions all American. While Hanna Barbera and other studios relied on help from animation overseas to finish up their toons, Lou Scheimer and company had a staff of people who used limited animation and the same stock footage again and again. True, it was less in cost and looked cheap compared to today's standards, but they wanted to stay American in terms of their business and did not want to use overseas animation on their shows.
            I'll admit, I have to admire them for that. Plus, I recall in the interview, Filmation's company was like a family atmosphere. Can't say that about too many studios.
            Cheers.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎