Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your impression of 2001: A Space Odyssey?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joshvox
    Clown Prince of Crime
    • Mar 21, 2006

What is your impression of 2001: A Space Odyssey?

I avoided watching this movie for quite awhile (my whole life actually I guess )--I must admit to being a bit intimidated by it. I had always heard it was a tough watch--very difficult to understand. Well, it was and is, and I'm not sure I liked it at first. But in the span of a few weeks I've now watched 3 times, and you pick new stuff up every single time. I think this is a fascinating movie to think about--just not something you see in Science Fiction everyday. I watched it with some friends and my wife--who all said that it was boring--and I guess I can see why--I think you have to "want it" with this movie. What do you think of it?
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

I like 2001, but to be honest--- I only watch it for the end parts with Hal, Dave and Frank.
    I always thought the apeman stuff was boring.
    Also, the part when Dave goes down to the surface was crazy boring too.

I heard a rumour years ago....
    Not sure if it's true....
    Pink Floyd was asked to do the music score, but turned it down.

Comment

• megoat
      A Therefore Experience
      • Jun 10, 2003

I think it's a beautiful, strange and fascinating movie.

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
        Pat Troughton in disguise
        • Nov 21, 2007

I first saw 2001 in the early 70's..my Dad took us to see it...I must say it was absolutely mind blowing for me as it was the first Sci-Fi movie I'd seen on the big screen. I still love the movie now and feel the effects still hold their own compared to todays cgi...heck I even love 2010 !!!
        No it didn't make sense of the movie on reflection but I do remember my Dad asking me if i'd understood it and if so explain it to him...lol... and I do remember spouting some kind of explanation as only an 8 or so year old could...utter nonsense to most people but to kids absolute sense.
        ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• garagesale
          Dept. of Mego Studies
          • Aug 8, 2006

2001 makes complete sense if you've already read Arthur C. Clarke's great novel. Absent that, I imagine it's got to be tough.

I think 2001 is about the visuals; however, I have to say that I think it fails to tell the story visually or otherwise. It's a beautiful film, but flawed in its storytelling process.

http://www.libarts.uco.edu/english/adjunct/dolph/

THANKS!

Comment

• The Bat
            Batman Fanatic
            • Jul 14, 2002

Boring...total Snooze Fest!
            sigpic

Comment

• joshvox
              Clown Prince of Crime
              • Mar 21, 2006

Originally posted by garagesale
              2001 makes complete sense if you've already read Arthur C. Clarke's great novel. Absent that, I imagine it's got to be tough.
              Right, some say a bit too much sense. Alot of people say it can't be that simple, and they enjoy some sort of "symbolism" explanation. However, the book and movie were written together if I'm not mistaken, and it seems to me the book does explain the movie--but other interpretations are inevitable for such a complex movie.

I agree T1K that the parts with HAL are some of the best in the movie. The apes parts are laughable, but I kinda like them because of that. I'm gonna see if I can dig up some stuff on that Pink Floyd rumor--how great would that have been? I think it would have had a much different feel, but they could have pulled it off.

Comment

• toys2cool
                Ultimate Mego Warrior
                • Nov 27, 2006

I'm like you bro,I haven't even seen it yet.But sound interesting though
                "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• fallensaviour
                  Talkative Member
                  • Aug 28, 2006

It's a toss up for me,I enjoyed the visuals but found the story kinda...Mehh...
                  It is a good watch but can be confusing at times.Like you said though the more you watch it the more you get out of if.I will not pay money to rent it but if it happens to be on TV I do find myself watching it again.
                  “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• phil
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 11, 2007

It's a nice looking film and has great music but the story telling leaves a great
                    deal to be desired.

Comment

• Mikey
                      Verbose Member
                      • Aug 9, 2001

I do have to admit.... and this is probably blasphemous talk for a real 2001 fan......
                      But I like 2010 a lot better.

Comment

• Meule
                        Verbose Member
                        • Nov 14, 2004

Saw it a first time when I was in my early teens, didn't get it, hated it.
                        Watched it again when I was older, still hated it
                        "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• ramsey37
                          • Jun 18, 2001

Originally posted by type1kirk
                          I do have to admit.... and this is probably blasphemous talk for a real 2001 fan......
                          But I like 2010 a lot better.
                          I have to agree with you. I've never been able to sit through "2001" from start to finish, but I really enjoyed the sequel.
                          George

Comment

• DocDrako
                            Formerly Doc Drako
                            • Nov 11, 2004

I've put off watching it. But lately I've been curious to see it. I'll probably watch it 3 days before they announce a remake.
                            "I prefer to remain an enigma."

DRAKO'S GOOD TRADERS LIST

Comment

• thunderbolt
                              Hi Ernie!!!
                              • Feb 15, 2004

This was one of the first VHS tapes my Dad bought when I was a kid. Found it long and boring then, find it tedious now. If ever a movie needed an editor, this is the one.
                              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎