X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikeoz
    Mego Maker
    • Mar 9, 2007

3d Battlestar Galactica Landram Canon

I picked up a Mattel Battlestar Galactica Landram for a great price. It was only missing its stickers, the pilot and the top rotating canon, otherwise it was in really nice shape. Lonnie's 3d printing thread gave me the idea to reproduce the canon and then print it on a 3d printer. It actually worked really well. There are a ton of possiblilities with 3d printing.

I built the two part canon in a 3d program from a bunch of reference pictures I found on the Internet. I then sent the file off to a company in Belgium (i.materialize) to print in gray plastic. Since the company's in Belgium, shipping takes a while, and I haven't actually received the gray canon back yet. In the meantime, I had a friend of mine print out the canon in white plastic. The canon doesn't actually fire the missiles, but it does swivel and move up and down. I think once it's painted gray and red, it'll be a good placeholder until I can find an original. I'll post pics of the gray version when it arrives.

Mattel Battlestar Galactica Landram Side.jpg

Mattel Battlestar Galactica Landram Front.jpg

Mattel Battlestar Galactica Repro Canon.jpg

Here's the original:
    $(KGrHqRHJBwE7y2kp7j+BO9C(TrLEw~~60_1.JPG
    Looking for:
    Lincoln Phantom of the Opera
  • pmwasson
    Maker
    • Sep 12, 2007

Very cool! You know Shapeways is in the US.
    sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

Wow! That looks excellent! Nice find and super nice custom additions. Looks great!

Comment

• LonnieFisher
        Eloquent Member
        • Jan 19, 2008

Awesome!

Comment

• sprytel
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 26, 2009

Very cool. This is definitely the way of the future. The possibilities for things like this are so exciting.

Comment

• mikeoz
            Mego Maker
            • Mar 9, 2007

Originally posted by pmwasson
            Very cool! You know Shapeways is in the US.
            Shapeways looks like a really good way to go. I have an order processing with them right now and their prices are very competitive. When I read some of their reviews, I discovered that at least part of their operation is in Norway. It still only takes about 10 days to get an order, though. It's very strange how so many of the hobby 3d printing services are located outside the U.S.
            Looking for:
            Lincoln Phantom of the Opera

Comment

• Chris
              Persistent Member
              • Dec 23, 2009

That is amazing! The guy who used the 3D printing had ridges on his sculpt. I didn't see that with yours.
              If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• Neutron X
                Persistent Member
                • Dec 22, 2007

Looks great! The possibilities are limitless!

Comment

• johnmiic
                  Adrift
                  • Sep 6, 2002

That's a great find Mike! As a side note I heard the Landram was built on the same tractor base as the Lost In Space Chariot. You might check if the model kit is the same scale, (1/24th). It could make a nice companion piece on the shelf or a good source for further replacement parts.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎