Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrBoogieEsq
    • Dec 28, 2012

Marvel Famous Covers for custom Mego's

Has anyone had any success using Marvel Famous Covers for clothes and/or heads for custom 8" Megos? Any suggestions, tips, or tricks would be helpful.

Thanks,
  • Iron Mego
    Wake Up Heavy
    • Jan 31, 2010

I think a lot of folks around here use the heads for customs. They are in scale with Megos. They were supposed to be 8" figures but there was some kind of goof early on in production and they ended up 9" tall, but the heads are all 8" scale. That's my understanding at least. The clothes may be bit too big, but I have no personal experience with this.
    Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

the male heads work for Mego, but are for the most part terrible screaming Rob Liefeld style sculpts. not sure about the clothes, probably a bit baggy. all of the pleather-y type detail work is breaking down, too.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• cactus725
        Caped Crusader
        • Feb 8, 2010

I think the Tony Stark head would be ok, Like Bolt said a lot of the head sculpts are screaming. Hawkeye would do well...the problem is getting those figures for the right price to be able to tear them down and then purchase the custum items to make them Mego scale. Some folks are asking a bunch for these figures these days since the Avengers movie came out especially in the box. I have most of the figures and I usually try to find them loose. Good Luck with your search!!!

Comment

• DrBoogieEsq
          • Dec 28, 2012

Thanks for the advice, I am going to try to make my first custom mego....let's see how it goes

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

IIRC, what happened is FC was supposed to Toy Biz's attempt at Nu Mego due to Flatt's rejuvenation of the format, but the manufacturer screwed up the body dimensions while the first release heads were still made in 8" scale. So early release figures have noggin's in Mego scale, but the later releases are resized for 9 inch.

For example, look at Storm and Black Widow. Storm's head is perfect for Mego, but Widow is certainly a size larger.

I've always wondered why Toy Biz and Hasbro did 9 inch, when 8-inch would have guaranteed better sales. The DC Silver Age from Hasbro were nearly perfection, save scale.

I'm sure some mold masters could tell me if it's easier for a factory to reduce in evenly divisible numbers.

As if it's easier for a 1:6/12-inch master to be shrunk to 9-inch since it's an even quarter reduction in size (25%), whereas 8-inch reduces by 33.3%

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

not true in all cases, Vision, Hawkeye, Magneto are all on the small side for 9 inch, too.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• hedrap
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 10, 2009

Vision is? That's surprising.

I know Magneto is, and Hawkeye would make sense as he was also an earlier release.

Comment

• Teemu
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 15, 2010

The heads were never resized...the intent was originally 8" figures,but they were close to nine,but the heads never changed in scale

Originally posted by hedrap
                  IIRC, what happened is FC was supposed to Toy Biz's attempt at Nu Mego due to Flatt's rejuvenation of the format, but the manufacturer screwed up the body dimensions while the first release heads were still made in 8" scale. So early release figures have noggin's in Mego scale, but the later releases are resized for 9 inch.

For example, look at Storm and Black Widow. Storm's head is perfect for Mego, but Widow is certainly a size larger.

I've always wondered why Toy Biz and Hasbro did 9 inch, when 8-inch would have guaranteed better sales. The DC Silver Age from Hasbro were nearly perfection, save scale.

I'm sure some mold masters could tell me if it's easier for a factory to reduce in evenly divisible numbers.

As if it's easier for a 1:6/12-inch master to be shrunk to 9-inch since it's an even quarter reduction in size (25%), whereas 8-inch reduces by 33.3%

Comment

• Teemu
                    Persistent Member
                    • Dec 15, 2010

Hawkeye (Series 4) came AFTER Black Widow (who was in Series 3)....not sure what you are talking about,but the heads are in scale and not bigger than one another in difference

Magneto showed up in Series 5 in the X-men series (Diamond releases)

Originally posted by hedrap
                    Vision is? That's surprising.

I know Magneto is, and Hawkeye would make sense as he was also an earlier release.
                    Last edited by Teemu; Jan 20, '13, 11:42 AM.

Comment

• hedrap
                      Permanent Member
                      • Feb 10, 2009

Yeah. I just re-read some of the interviews and whatnot that I ran across a few years ago. The product designer, during its production, said nothing was released in error, but I do remember reading otherwise after the line was cancelled, from other Toy Biz people.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

the intent was 8 inch.

says it right on the boxes. The body designers made the bodies 8 inches tall headless.

Comment

• Random Axe
                          The Voice of Reason
                          • Apr 16, 2008

There was a...um...gap in the translations from designer to overseas factory. They were told they were making eight inch figures, but they interpreted that as the bodies would be eight inches tall not including heads, which were made elsewhere. Thus they have the Pittman effect with the pinhead. Doesn't excuse the terrible facial sculpts.

Little known fact: The Tony Stark head is based on...Tom Cruise. Don't believe it? Pull that helmet off and look closely. At the time these were made he was attached to a possible movie. If you paint over that head and remove the moustache it becomes more clear. Check out an early, early crappy head painting I did back in 2007.

I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• hedrap
                            Permanent Member
                            • Feb 10, 2009

Little known fact: The Tony Stark head is based on...Tom Cruise. Don't believe it? Pull that helmet off and look closely. At the time these were made he was attached to a possible movie.
                            Yes he was and for a very long time.

He didn't bail until around 2005. Then it was Cage and DeCaprio, before Marvel swiped the rights back in mid '06.

Re: FC. that's the story as I remember it, also. Toy Biz were bs'ing people at the time because whose going to admit they're releasing a flawed product while it's still in production. It wasn't until several years later that some people laid out what happened, and as Random said, it was a translation issue.

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                              One eyed, wonder
                              • Dec 17, 2009

I've got a bunch of FC heads from Garyplayswithdolls. So far, my favorite is the Dr. Doom head. I have a Doc Ock, and find the head to be way too large for an 8 inch Mego style body. Don't care for the open mouth 'battle-cry' look. The sculpts often have in profile a down/outward slope to the chin. While some heads may seem good in a full frontal shot, they can suffer far more in profile. Skull tops can seem small in scale to the facial features. Dr. Doom suffers from the last problem, but a cloth or sculpted hood hides it perfectly. Since everyone is bound to have their own opinion of whether an FC head works well for an 8 inch scale, try to find pics of 8 inch customs that used a FC head you are considering. Although it's a lot to ask, try requesting comparison pics. Frontal, profile, on or next to an 8 inch body. I know I'll do my best to help with what I got.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎