X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beartex2000
    For display only!!
    • Jun 2, 2007

proper cleaning of mego outfit needed

I'm sure this has been covered and if someone can point be to an older thread that would be great. What has been your best way to clean a mego outfit without damaging it? I have a batman outfit with red marker on it. There is a slight hole on one knee and I don't want to make it worse by scrubbing it. Suggestions?
  • Dave Mc
    Administrator
    • Oct 20, 2002

Marker is tough- I doubt the gentle methods will work. You need to contact Flynne. He's the master at restoration. If marker can be removed, he'll know how to do it.

Comment

• Flynne
      Permanent Member
      • Jan 22, 2003

Marker is pretty tough to get out, but there are a few products that will help. For the WGSH jumpsuit type fabrics I have a few suggestions:

First of all - get yourself some disposable gloves. Most of the stuff I use here is non-toxic, but all are recommended against prolonged skin contact. The best and cheapest solution I have found comes from the Target $1.00 Travel / Trial size section of the Pharmacy - Red Cross Examination Gloves (10 to a package) for $1. They are powder free, go on easy, and give you all the manual dexterity you need to clean.

Here are the fabric cleaners I use:

Gonzo - My favorite tool. This is a delicates fabric cleaner that you can find at most fabric stores (like JoAnn's). It works pretty well at getting out dark or set in stains. Work it into the stains with your fingers, and let it set about 10 minutes before you add it to the wash. I recommend Woolite Delicates Cleaner, as it is the most gentle I have use that still gets the job done. Let the wask soak for about 15 minutes, stirring once every 3 minutes for 15 seconds, then double rinse.

One word of caution with using it - as it soaks into the fabric to work out the stain it has a tendency to release latent dye in the material. This can cause some dye bleeding during drying from darker areas to lighter areas (like the area around Batman's trunks). If you use this make sure to blot the material between two layers of absorbent cloth (an old towel works great) to get as much water out before letting it air dry.

Oxy-Clean Stain Spray - my #2 weapon, and it works best at getting out dark stains like ink and grease. This stuff is a gel that you work into the the stains with your fingers. Work in a generous amount, and let it set about 10 minutes before you add it to the wash. Let the wask soak for about 15 minutes, stirring once every 3 minutes for 15 seconds, then double rinse, and let air dry.

Shout Stain Fighter Spray (Gel) - this works pretty well on WGSH fabric, though not as good as the first two. It does work better than the first two on tougher fabrics like denim or canvas. Since this is also a gel use the same instructions as the Oxy-Clean Spray.

It may take repeated washings (as many as half a dozen or more) but you will see even tough stains come out slowly but surely. If desired, you can also add some powdered Oxy-Clean Booster to the Woolite soaking bath. I recommend the "scent free" brand as it works the best for me, though you do have to mix it seperately since it needs hot water to activate, and you are washing with cold water for the Woolite. Take just a spoonful of it and mix with the hotest 6 oz of water your tap will offer, then mix it in a non-drinking cup (with a lid if you have it because it will foam up as it activates), then pour it into the Woolite bath. The small amount of hot water will not be harmful to the cold water bath, but it works well to power out stains..

However, at times you will come across permanent marker, oil, black ink, or set in grease, which the above cleaners will be able to clear some, but not all, of the stain. This means it is time to move onto...

The Big Guns -

Clorox Bleach Pen - this product comes with a small chisel pen point to literally mark out the stains. However, this product is not color safe, so it will remove ALL dye from the area, which means you will need to use fabric marker pens to fill the original color back in once the stain is gone. This can take repeated bleachings, washings, recolorings, repeats before it is finished, but it works on the toughest stains.

There is one other cleaner I am experimenting with now (and please forgive the fact that I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head) from Wal-Mart that works by soaking through and blotting the stain. It works like this: put some product on the set in grease/ink/etc. and let set 30 seconds. Have an absorbent cloth placed under the material to catch the soak through, and blot with absorbent cloth to remove the stains. You'll see the stains coming off onto the blotter as you go. I gave this a trial run just last night on an Iron Man suit where someone put permanent marker dots above the chest button. It looks like the first run was about 50% effective, so I have hopes for it, though it is a real pain to use.

Anyway, I hope this helps, and please let me know if you have any questions or need any others tips.

Thanks,
      Derek
      Last edited by Flynne; Feb 7, '08, 12:45 PM.
      An old Irish Blessing - "May those who love us, love us; and if they do not love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He does not turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles, that we may know them by their limping"

Comment

• beartex2000
        For display only!!
        • Jun 2, 2007

thanks for the quick response! Looks like I have my late night weekend project!

Comment

• z3zep
          The Girl Next Door
          • Sep 30, 2006

Great Info, thanks Flynne.

Maybe this info should be added to the Custom Mego / Tips and Tricks section?

Comment

• starsky
            veteran member
            • Aug 26, 2007

hi flynne,
            will your methods work for batman suits that have a reddish/brownish tinge to them?

Comment

• dan2448
              • Jun 6, 2010

I just purchased a 13" "Six Million Dollar Man" figure via eBay. It hadn't ever been removed from the box (though the box had been ripped open) and is in more-or-less mint condition, except for the fact that there are three dark stains on the front of the shirt, each less than 1/4". (They look to me like they were made by the dirty fingers of the child who originally opened the box, perhaps.)

I'd like to try to get these stains out. But since the rest of the figure (including the clothes) is in such prestine, mint-y condition, I am hesitant to use the cleaning methods described above since they involve putting the clothes in the wash.

Does anyone know of a stain-removal method I could apply while the clothes remained on the figure?

I realize that this doll is not a Mego, of course. But the advice I've received here before about my Megos has been so reliable that I'd feel most comfortable trying something recommended here.

Thank you very much, in advance, for any suggestions.

Comment

• Karen-bionic-fan
                Banned
                • Feb 13, 2010

Originally posted by dan2448
                I just purchased a 13" "Six Million Dollar Man" figure via eBay. It hadn't ever been removed from the box (though the box had been ripped open) and is in more-or-less mint condition, except for the fact that there are three dark stains on the front of the shirt, each less than 1/4". (They look to me like they were made by the dirty fingers of the child who originally opened the box, perhaps.)

I'd like to try to get these stains out. But since the rest of the figure (including the clothes) is in such prestine, mint-y condition, I am hesitant to use the cleaning methods described above since they involve putting the clothes in the wash.

Does anyone know of a stain-removal method I could apply while the clothes remained on the figure?

I realize that this doll is not a Mego, of course. But the advice I've received here before about my Megos has been so reliable that I'd feel most comfortable trying something recommended here.

Thank you very much, in advance, for any suggestions.
                Well iv got 40 odd six million dollar men outfits and i know what I am talking about washing them thins the fabric and can leave holes in it you are better dabbing the dirty-bits with cotton swabs till it gets a bit better looking

Comment

• dan2448
                  • Jun 6, 2010

Thanks very much for the reply, Karen-bionic-fan. It sounds like you've got exactly the expertise I was looking for. I'll use cotton swabs as you suggest.

Do you recommend any specific cleaning solution to dab them in? (Like maybe Dawn?)

Comment

• THE FALCON
                    Career Member
                    • Jan 2, 2011

How do you go about washing a WGSH suit without damaging the Mego tag inside the suit. I used the powdered Oxi clean mixed with water and it destroyed the tag. I left the jumpsuit in the solution for three hours as suggested by a member here. Will Flynne's top 3 tips work for me?

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎