• Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Is this legal ? ... phone telemarketing question

For the last 3 weeks.........
    Everyday, i've been getting a phone call ------ a recording ----
    About mortgaging my home (which I have none).......

I usually just hang up on the recording....

Today, I sat through it to the end.......

After 6 1/2 minutes......

The call directed me to an automated answering machine...

In other words,
    There was no real person for me to yell at and to tell STOP CALLING ME...

Just wondering....

Is this legal--- on their part ?
  • Marvelmania
    A Ray of Sunshine
    • Jun 17, 2001

Yes, it is legal. Go to donotcall.gov and sign the do not call registry. It takes about 2 weeks before it works but it does take care of 90% of the telemarketing calls. Worked like a charm for me.

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

That sucks......

It's basically like having to get on a list to not be molested -- if you choose not to be.

Why does THE GOV let this happen to begin with ?

Comment

• Marvelmania
        A Ray of Sunshine
        • Jun 17, 2001

I don't understand it either MIke. A while back a lot of the laws changed regarding this and collection practices. Even the do not call lists have exceptions and collections calls can even be made 7 days a week during certain time periods. You'd think Sunday would be relief from any of these calls but it's not.

Comment

• mitchedwards
          Mego Preservation Society
          • May 2, 2003

You could drop your land line and just have a Cel. Telemarketers cant call you on it

Think B.A. Where did you hide the Megos?

Comment

• Customslab

mitch i thought they just said it was ok for them to call a cell phone

Comment

• johnmiic
              Adrift
              • Sep 6, 2002

Mike,

A guy I worked with told me if you instruct them to "take me off your list and don not call me again," they have to remove you from their list. Use that exact first 1/2 the phrase because if they hang up on you they won't hear it. Why not leave a mesage with those instructions? See if it works?

Comment

• Hulk
                Mayor of Megoville
                • May 10, 2003

Originally posted by Customslab
                mitch i thought they just said it was ok for them to call a cell phone
                Nope...

Rumors that cell phone numbers are going to be released to telemarketers if their owners don't sign up with the Do Not Call registry are false.

Comment

• Customslab

well thats good to know

Comment

• ctc
                    Fear the monkeybat!
                    • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

Makes me wonder how long until someone figgers out how to spam a cell. It's only a matter of time....

Don C.

Comment

• Dave Mc
                      Administrator
                      • Oct 20, 2002

I guess telemarkers that you can hang up on are better than door to door salemen from back in the day that used to be knocking on your door all the time.

Spam has always been around, just changes with technology. Still, I find it offensive to get a call from a machine. I mean, if you're going to bug me trying to sell me something, at least do it live and in person so I can either ask questions about the product if I'm interested, or hang up on you in a loud manner if I'm not.

Comment

• Marvelmania
                        A Ray of Sunshine
                        • Jun 17, 2001

I've always heard the best thing to do to a telemarketer is to ask them to hold on for a second and just lay the phone down for about 5 minutes. Takes up and wastes their time and keeps them from calling anyone else right away.

Comment

• Cosmicman
                          Permanent Member
                          • Jul 12, 2005

Do not call does not work in these cases.

Originally posted by Tim Arnold
                          Yes, it is legal. Go to donotcall.gov and sign the do not call registry. It takes about 2 weeks before it works but it does take care of 90% of the telemarketing calls. Worked like a charm for me.
                          Ha Ha
                          Those don't work!!!
                          I work for a mortgage company and they get their leads from http://www.salesgenie.com and bankruptcy websites. If you have had some kind of financial crisis they have your number. The famous "Do Not Call List" does not work with these websites. They will call you no matter what and don't care if you are on a "Do Not Call List."
                          A lot of people think that if they are on this "Do Not Call list" it saves them from everything. Wrong. If you leave your phone number on anything, they will find you and this "Do No Call" list will not protect you because Mortgage people are not really considered telemarketers.
                          Might as well change your number or just deal with it. By law, there is nothing you can do. They will find you through paper work somehow that you have signed or left on an application for credit.
                          It sucks.

Lesson #1 when dealing with Mortage people. Be nice. Don't be a dick.
                          If you are hostile, swear, hang up or threaten them. They will get you back by pushing the "call back" number. It will tell the next person to call you back the next day. It's annoying but it is there way of paying you back for being an ***.
                          Best way to deal with them. Be nice, polite and say, "I am not interested but thank you."
                          Ten bucks says you won't hear from them again for at least year.
                          If it's a machine that keeps calling you. Sit through it, and wait to you either talk to someone or get a answering machine voice mail and leave a message.
                          If these guys think they have a lead, they will pursue you until you tell them you don't have crap.

Yes, once again this is annoying. I work with these people. I am their tech support that makes their computers run and bug you (ducks from tomatoes flying at me). So, try these steps. It should work.
                          Last edited by Cosmicman; May 27, '07, 11:58 AM.
                          More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...

Comment

• Mikey
                            Verbose Member
                            • Aug 9, 2001

I guess telemarkers that you can hang up on are better than door to door salemen from back in the day that used to be knocking on your door all the time.

Reminds me of the old days (the 70's and 80's) when the Johova Witnesses would come around at least once a month ......
                            They'd always bring their kids, so you're ashamed to slam the door in their faces.

I remember telling one couple that came.... I'm Catholic and my religion teaches me yous are all evil.

They turned around and left without saying one word

I used to also tell them i'm Jewish.....

Another time I told them I was a Satan Worshipper

Comment

• Marvelmania
                              A Ray of Sunshine
                              • Jun 17, 2001

I never said it was 100% effective did I? And BTW I've never had a call from a mortgage company. The ones i usually get are for "free" vacations and subscriptions. Stuff like that.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎