X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mego Magyar
    Permanent Member
    • Jan 17, 2011

Alternative "dying" method

This is an alternative to using dye to change the color of some things. I've used this to darken green "Robin" short for my Spectre, Starman & Earth 2 Robin - on yellow shorts for Loki and the Vision since when I put the yellow shorts on over the green bodysuit they didn't look too yellow as the green shown through - also on the front stomach piece for Spider Woman. I also used it on white cloth to make the light purple pieces for my Hawkeye.

Acrylic paint desolved in water. Here what I do - this was a light green female bodysuit from CTVT.

1st get I get 2 contatiners for water and the paint and item I want to "dye".
    dying1.jpg
    2nd pour the paint into the water - don't be affraid to used a good bit - stick you finger in and mix it up.
    dying2.jpg
    3rd carefully & slowly pour from the first containter into the second so any of the undesolved paint stays in the first.
    dying3.JPG
    4th put the cloth item into the mix and squeeze it multiple times to soak up the mix.
    dying5.JPG
    5th take out and let dry - I hang / drip dry the item.
    little piece is from the same original suit to show the color change
    dying6a.JPG
    Last edited by Mego Magyar; Jan 8, '13, 5:33 PM.
  • ctc
    Fear the monkeybat!
    • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

Not a bad idea. THere's a heat sensitive catalyst you can get that adds to acrylics so's that the paint bonds to the cloth after an ironing. It's used for airbrushing t-shirts and the like, and it works pretty good.

Don C.

Comment

• Mego Magyar
      Permanent Member
      • Jan 17, 2011

I should note that to take the last photo I put the "dyed" item on a paper towel and left it there and the backside color seeped out into the towel. As I said I hang / drip dry. Also for the shorts I only do 1 treatment but to change the white cloth into the light purple for my Hawkeye it took a couple of treatments - using the same water, I didn't have to use more paint and start from the beginning. And, this process hasn't worked well when I've tried to turn white into a very dark midnight blue. I did a dark grey bodysuit into black and while the black came out ok it isn't as true a black as if you bought a real black bodysuit - see my Black Panther.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎