Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there ever any Mego Meets in the Seattle area?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MegoCapnMike
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 22, 2012

Are there ever any Mego Meets in the Seattle area?

I guess the title sums up that question, lol. Are there ever any Mego Meets in the Seattle area? Anyone interested in putting something together? I have no idea what all would be involved in a task like that, but I would be more than willing to help...
    Looking for:

--Lion Rock "Mr Rock's" shoes/ boots (these may also be the same as the lion rock monster line boots)

--Mystery Astronaught
  • EMCE Hammer
    Moderation Engineer
    • Aug 14, 2003

There are casual mini-meets all over the place, and I am pretty sure the Seattle folks have gotten together more than once over the years.

Comment

• Megotu
      jerk
      • Dec 16, 2001

possibly over coffee...
      sigpic

Comment

• pmwasson
        Maker
        • Sep 12, 2007

I drove up from Portland once or twice to meet with some other members. I'll be up that way on March 2 & 3rd if there is any interest.
        sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• SeattleEd
          SynthoRes Transmigrator
          • Oct 24, 2007

I don't do coffee but do Kambucha.

As for gathering it's been a while and I like to plan not a meet but more a gathering. Meets entail much involvement and I haven't found a place that would mirror the East coast MM with regards to venue size and near by lodging. Everything is too expensive and/or remote for many. I still like the idea of Portland and trying to get that up and going if folks are still interested. I know this would would be too far for many Seattle folks but then many of the them tend to give the cold shoulder to gathering, with the exception of a couple people, and I realized the Portland folks are more friendly and open to having a geek out gathering. Keep Portland Weird!

Comment

• SeattleEd
            SynthoRes Transmigrator
            • Oct 24, 2007

Originally posted by pmwasson
            I drove up from Portland once or twice to meet with some other members. I'll be up that way on March 2 & 3rd if there is any interest.
            Days are blocked for me.

Comment

• MegoCapnMike
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 22, 2012

March 2nd and 3rd... Ah yes, I too plan to be at Emerald City Comic Con on those days...

There are quite a few toy shows here through the spring and fall as well. I never see much in the way of Mego there though. Any dealers out this way that anyone knows?

As far as Portland, I would have no trouble taking a couple hours on the road. Portland also has Pietro's Pizza. That alone is worth the drive...

How would a gathering of sorts work? I imagine Mego meet as being very much like comic con, but with more Mego of course. I wouldn't be against a gathering, but I have to admit, without a dealer room of some kind, I wouldn't know what to do, lol.
              Looking for:

--Lion Rock "Mr Rock's" shoes/ boots (these may also be the same as the lion rock monster line boots)

--Mystery Astronaught

Comment

• mikeMc6
                Persistent Member
                • Mar 24, 2012

If we can put together a Portland gathering, I would help any way I can. There is Portland's first ever Comic-Con coming first week of February, I think. That might be a good weekend to scoop up some mego fans and to gather informally and make a swap meet, mego style. As far as location, I could assist in that as well. I have access to a restaurant space we can use to ourselves all day on Sundays (not Pietro's but another mom and pop pizza place, they'll even let me cook pizzas if you wish!) and I know a lead of a wonderful collector who is sitting on a lot of Mego joy. .....
                What did I just commit to? ha!
                Where do you live, roughly, Capnmike? Maybe I should PM you..
                INEPT VINTAGE WISENHEIMER
                WANTS: Thrashed Riddler Box, RM mask (beater ok) ...and a pony

Comment

• mikeMc6
                  Persistent Member
                  • Mar 24, 2012

also Seattle Ed, this pizza restaurant that we can have to ourselves is in downtown Vancouver, WA just eight miles from downtown Portland! and since it is just north of PDX and technically in Washington State maybe we can pull more Seattlites than just you! Ha!
                  INEPT VINTAGE WISENHEIMER
                  WANTS: Thrashed Riddler Box, RM mask (beater ok) ...and a pony

Comment

• MegoCapnMike
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 22, 2012

I am in the Tacoma area. About 30-40 minutes south of Seattle. Only concerns I would have is that I am new to the hobby and don't have much in the way of trade. Also, Mego was pretty much closing down while I was a toddler. I am an '80 model myself. Had some Micronauts as a kid. But my love of Mego really came from the Kirk and Spock Mego figures that my uncle had. He gave them to me at Christmas about 15 years ago because he knew how much I loved them.

Not sure what the age range is on the site, but if those folks who don't mind someone who was not around during the hay-day, I would love to attend. I might even be able to talk my uncle into coming.
                    Looking for:

--Mystery Astronaught

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                      One eyed, wonder
                      • Dec 17, 2009

Originally posted by MegoCapnMike
                      I am in the Tacoma area. About 30-40 minutes south of Seattle. Only concerns I would have is that I am new to the hobby and don't have much in the way of trade. Also, Mego was pretty much closing down while I was a toddler. I am an '80 model myself. Had some Micronauts as a kid. But my love of Mego really came from the Kirk and Spock Mego figures that my uncle had. He gave them to me at Christmas about 15 years ago because he knew how much I loved them.

Not sure what the age range is on the site, but if those folks who don't mind someone who was not around during the hay-day, I would love to attend. I might even be able to talk my uncle into coming.
                      Do you want to spend a Sunday enjoying Mego? I do. Would you like pizza an beer with that Sunday? Hell ya!
                      Just one question: Do you wanna go to this thing you started?

Comment

• ScottA
                        Original Member
                        • Jun 25, 2001

Originally posted by MegoCapnMike

Please do come if you can work it out. We have people in their teens and some in their 50's here but at the meet itself it's all ages. And there is nothing like sitting around talking toys with people who get it. That's the best part of the Meet (that and the dealers room, and the pizza, and the seminars, well, you get the idea).
                        sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• SeattleEd
                          SynthoRes Transmigrator
                          • Oct 24, 2007

Scott, you plan on attending the Northwest "Mego Eat"?

Originally posted by ScottA
                          Please do come if you can work it out. We have people in their teens and some in their 50's here but at the meet itself it's all ages. And there is nothing like sitting around talking toys with people who get it. That's the best part of the Meet (that and the dealers room, and the pizza, and the seminars, well, you get the idea).

Comment

• ScottA
                            Original Member
                            • Jun 25, 2001

I wish I could.
                            sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• MegoCapnMike
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 22, 2012

I will likely be there. Will know for sure in the near future... Sounds fun though.
                              Looking for:

--Mystery Astronaught

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎