View Full Version : Kahn!

Brue
Feb 5, '08, 4:25 PM
Is this on a mego replica body?

It is being offered from diamond select toys

http://www.diamondselecttoys.com/news_images/3/66565_153733_2.jpg

palitoy
Feb 5, '08, 4:44 PM
Looks like we're getting original characters after all.

palitoy
Feb 5, '08, 4:44 PM
Khaaaaaan!

DST is excited to announce the first exclusive release in the ongoing line of retro-inspired Star Trek cloth figures will be one of Captain Kirk’s most dangerous foes – the nefarious Khan Noonien Singh! Available exclusively through Hastings and Planet X stores, this limited figure is based on his debut appearance in the classic episode “Space Seed.” The figure was sculpted by and is manufactured in conjunction with Emce Toys!

The first completely original design to join the ranks of the Star Trek retro cloth figure line, Khan features the same articulation and detail, making this a must-have figure for fans of the original Mego toy line as well as DST’s new line of releases.

Genetically engineered during Earth’s Eugenics Wars centuries earlier, Khan attempted to gain the crew’s trust and take over the Enterprise for his own purposes. Barely stopped by Captain James T. Kirk, Khan was exiled to the distant Ceti Alpha V and forgotten. Refusing to abandon his quest for vengeance, Khan would later return and again almost destroy the Enterprise – this time claiming Spock as a casualty.

Look for this sci-fi gem to be available this summer and be sure to visit Diamond Select Toys & Collectibles (http://www.diamondselecttoys.com) for more news and updates!

Meule
Feb 5, '08, 4:45 PM
Sweet. Oh man, I just knew they'd come through :yes:
Can't wait to see what's next

palitoy
Feb 5, '08, 4:47 PM
I had heard this rumour that exclusives were being offered with original characters but never trust anything until i see it. If the rest come to frutition, some nice figures will be released.

Meule
Feb 5, '08, 4:51 PM
These exclusives won't be limited runs that are twice as expensive, will they?

megoscott
Feb 5, '08, 4:53 PM
This is a great day. Congrats, Doc, that's really delivering the goods.

drmego
Feb 5, '08, 4:53 PM
Now you guys see ONE of the cool things that I have been working on for
months.

More coolness to come.

Meule
Feb 5, '08, 4:55 PM
months.

More coolness to come.

So there's definitely more coming? Awesome. Care to give a hint? :grin:

mikeoz
Feb 5, '08, 4:58 PM
The head sculpt is outstanding! Does anyone know if James did it?

The Bat
Feb 5, '08, 5:13 PM
months.

More coolness to come.

BRAVO Paul...BRAVO!!!! You ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!:music-smiley-005:

Question: Is the Head just a Resin Cast for show as the Prototype? Will the final Head be soft??

Sideshow Spock
Feb 5, '08, 5:56 PM
Available exclusively through Hastings and Planet X stores, this limited figure is based on his debut appearance in the classic episode “Space Seed.” The figure was sculpted by and is manufactured in conjunction with Emce Toys!

I've never heard of either of those stores. Hastings seems to be located primarily in southern and central US states? Where/what is Planet X?

Internet dealers like AFX and NewForce seem to have luck getting these types of exclusives too. Hopefully that will be an option.

noelani72
Feb 5, '08, 6:41 PM
wait a sec..wait a sec..hold the phone....
Is James working on these!? Is that is sculpt!?

The Bat
Feb 5, '08, 6:43 PM
Is James working on these!? Is that His sculpt!?

I'm pretty sure He is...and that IS His Sculpt!:yes:

JDeRouen
Feb 5, '08, 7:07 PM
Great news, but... I hate exclusives. Thankfully, however, we do have Hastings here, so I should be able to find one!

drmego
Feb 5, '08, 7:15 PM
Joe wasn't able to remember his password to the Museum, so he asked me
to post this for him.

"We've long awaited this day and due to certain restraints we have been unable to make any announcements. The head was sculpted by James Brady, who we are proud to work with and will hopefully be with us to produce other projects. We are currently in possession of several other sculpts by him on projects we hope to announce very shortly. Despite Diamond's policy of not promoting individual sculptors, we want it to be known that James made this head happen.

I'd also like to point out that several key elements make this a proud acheivement for us at EMCE. Not only has James sculpted an awesome likeness for a licensed Star Trek figure, the packaging will also feature new illustrations by Mego illustrator Harold Shull among the other original character illustrations from the classic packaging (and I will take a big risk and say, "some other new ones as well"). Add the Abrams' family's input and blessing and we have something of great importance here:

THE FIRST NEW MEGO PRODUCED SINCE THE COMPANY CLOSED IN THE 1980S.

There. It's done. The Mego toy line has been ressurrected in everything but name, and that is only due to the legal inability to brand any toy company "Mego" or you know we surely would have licensed that from the Abramses as well.

This will not be the last new Mego, either. We will announce more when it's either appropriate (or allowed, depending on the licensing relationship).

As a fan of horror films, I'm dying to announce our next line of figures, but we're just a few days away from doting our i's and crossing our t's. Hopefully you'll all appreciate that line, because they're figures I'VE personally wanted since I was a kid.

As for other classic Mego reproductions and/or extensions to those lines, yes, you can assume that we are talking to all necessary parties and navigating the complicated waters. The toy biz is certainly tougher than it was in the '70s and this stuff just doesn't happen overnight.

Paul will continue to keep you all abreast of our activities and by now I hope you all know that he has ben working tirelessly to live the dream of Bringing Mego Back."

txteach
Feb 5, '08, 7:20 PM
Beautiful! Where do I go to pre-order 10.

The Bat
Feb 5, '08, 7:32 PM
Beautiful! Where do I go to pre-order 10.

YES! I don't have either of those Stores anywhere near Me...can We order Them online????????:drool_y:

drmego
Feb 5, '08, 7:35 PM
What is the website for Hastings?

I found a video store called http://www.gohastings.com

As for Planet X - I found a video game store in Miami at the Dolphin Mall
with that name and an "e-planetx" with two stores in Canada.

palitoy
Feb 5, '08, 7:41 PM
The stores are actually called "Planet X" here only the website has that "e" in front of it.

If it is that Planet X, I'll gladly grab as many as folks need, I'm 20 minutes from one of their locations.

noelani72
Feb 5, '08, 7:51 PM
well, this is totally awesome news. whatever store they land in...somebody has to help me get one.

shellhead
Feb 5, '08, 8:03 PM
This is awesome news! It should be in mego buzz !

Hotfoot
Feb 5, '08, 8:12 PM
Any body notice the Amok Time Kirk/Spock 2 pack?

(Or am I late in noticing it?!:grin:)

BlackKnight
Feb 5, '08, 8:20 PM
WOW !!! This IS Fantastic News Doc. :2thumbsup: Take a bow Bro,.. Big thanks, This is seriously Huge for you. :yes:

Earth 2 Chris
Feb 5, '08, 8:20 PM
Congrats Doc and James! That is a perfect Mego Kahn there. Well, actually it's better than what Mego would have done, given what they did with the Gorn and such. :)

I do wonder why Diamond made this of all figures an exclusive figure at some fairly obscure retailers. But I dont' want to rain on anyone's parade. This is exciting news indeed!

Chris

Sideshow Spock
Feb 5, '08, 8:22 PM
I emailed Rick at NewForce Comics, and he said this exclusive was originally his, but he "lost" it. He didn't go into details.

Regardless, he expects to be able to buy a substantial amount wholesale, and then offer them to his customers..

Brue
Feb 5, '08, 8:23 PM
AWESOME!!!!

Even though they are store exclusives - will you be able to order them on Diamonds website????

-and by the way I feel a little like Lois Lane - I got the scoop on Kahn.

Hulk
Feb 5, '08, 9:12 PM
Very cool. As I alluded to in an earlier thread, I was offered to be the exclusive North American dealer for Nurse Chapel and Yeoman Rand, likely because I had expressed great desire to see these figures. Unfortunately, the economics were not workable for me due to my limited distribution (basically me and my wife shipping orders from my dining room). I hope Doc doesn't mind, but the minimum order for either of those were 3000 units. That was just too much for me to handle. I am hoping that more dealers with deeper pockets will step up and make more new figures happen. Basically if people are willing to assume the risk, Diamond looks more than happy to oblige.

Hulk
Feb 5, '08, 9:16 PM
These exclusives won't be limited runs that are twice as expensive, will they?

I imagine the pricing will be up to the dealers, but I would expect them to be more expensive than the others for exactly that reason. Limited run with another middleman. As I mentioned in my thread above, the cost to me would have been somewhat similar (a bit higher), but I would have had to sell them all myself, or redistribute to other dealers, which always adds some cost. If I had to guess, or price them myself, I'd aim for $25 - $30 a figure, which ain't bad if you don't have to buy a replica of a common mego to get them.

drmego
Feb 5, '08, 9:47 PM
Actually Paul, I didn't know about those offers - more interesting things to discuss with Diamond at Toy Fair. They may be annoyed at you for talking out of turn - but what
are they going to do about it.

I'm glad to hear that they are interested in continuing the series - even if the information does come from someone else.

hobub
Feb 5, '08, 10:06 PM
Great News! And with a new Star Trek Movie coming out this December.
How about that?!:wink:

Blue Meanie
Feb 5, '08, 10:59 PM
Well, I guess I have to eat my words...I will be supporting EMCE again. Now I gotta see if I can still order wave 4 through my comic guy. Congrats to EMCE for making this happen. Now, my only question is will I be able to get my hands on these exclusives through Diamond/my comic guy??? I want that Kahn figure...

toys2cool
Feb 5, '08, 11:14 PM
Looks great,I really dig the Khaaaan character :grin:

ScottA
Feb 6, '08, 12:12 AM
Big News Guys. Congrats to everyone involved. Wonder if he'll come with a red phaser and communicator? So Mego. I will so support this one and all others to follow. I'm really impressed that Harold Shull is drawing the artwork for the new figures. That is beyond cool.

spamn
Feb 6, '08, 12:49 AM
I can't even begin to express my excitement! James' Trek customs mass produced? A new line of monsters? I'm all a-tingle!

Hulk
Feb 6, '08, 1:01 AM
Actually Paul, I didn't know about those offers - more interesting things to discuss with Diamond at Toy Fair. They may be annoyed at you for talking out of turn - but what
are they going to do about it.

I'm glad to hear that they are interested in continuing the series - even if the information does come from someone else.

I took their solicitation as a good thing, and hopefully they won't be mad at me for sharing the fact that they are actively listening to their dealers and gaging their interest in expanding the line. I only wish I had deeper pockets and more time (or just bigger balls) in order to follow through in something like this. If they had been able to split the 3000 between the two, which I did ask, I very well might have been in the exclusive Trek figure business. For now though, I will likely just put on my collector hat and buy me a case or two of Khan's, knowing that the people who ordered these have a whole lot of them to sell. I want more!

hobub
Feb 6, '08, 1:22 AM
I'm thrilled at the idea that original new figures will be available. But after reading this at DST site [Available exclusively through Hastings and Planet X stores, this limited figure...] it makes me start to wonder. I really do hope this is not a short run chase figure that will take the place of the authentically historically valuable (as Stan Lee would put it, "Why? because it's rare!")Romulan figure which has now been produced in high volume, thus cutting it's value in half. If you go the distance to eliminate rare collectibles by re-releasing them, please don't create your own rare collectibles to put on your site for $300 a pop. That to me, doesn't seem right.

...But that being said I AM excited about seeing new Mego esque figures.

Remco Monster
Feb 6, '08, 1:24 AM
That is a true thing of beauty, and I can NOT wait to get my hands on one.

I am concerned about the availability though, what with neither of those stores near me.

hobub
Feb 6, '08, 1:27 AM

I am concerned about the availability though, what with neither of those stores near me.

Exactly!

Captain
Feb 6, '08, 1:51 AM
This.....quite possiblly.....is THE GREATEST NEWS IN THE HISTORY OF MANKIND!!!!
....Well, ok, maybe not the whole history, but its still big.

Congrats Doc!

Now all I have to do is figure out how to get a case or two?

Meule
Feb 6, '08, 3:23 AM

How do you think I feel? :wink_y:
I hope our two CTVT/EMCE dealers will both carry these?

thunderbolt
Feb 6, '08, 4:47 AM
Man, I can see this becoming a pain in the posterior with the exclusives. Doesn't Diamond have confidence in the line, especially new characters?? Khan seems like one that would have a lot of both Trek and Mego fan interest.

DocDrako
Feb 6, '08, 5:48 AM
Great announcement! But now I gotta change my pants.

:2thumbsup:

noelani72
Feb 6, '08, 7:33 AM
in my overall excitement at this figure's official release, I failed to give credit where credit is due- DaveMC. Dave designed the pattern for that suit, except his was a wee bit more detailed.

drmego
Feb 6, '08, 8:01 AM
Actually Dave did not have anything to do with Khan's jumpsuit. I asked Dave, but he was busy with real life, and I had to get the prototypes out to China and DST before
the end of October, so I made the jumpsuit - which explains the lack of sophistication.

Prez.Tonic
Feb 6, '08, 8:02 AM
Us Mego collectors here in Atlantic Canada are excites as well. My concern will be the availability as well as a middleman here doing a crazy mark-up. I want this figure BAD, but I'm not paying fifty bucks for it.

Hopefully they will be reasonably priced and available from the DST website.

Living in Nova Scotia sucks somes times because I get screwed on shipping costs and mark-ups.

That being said, thank you for keeping Mego alive! I really does mean a lot to me and my brothers.

censy
Feb 6, '08, 8:15 AM
Great news to wake up to. It makes you realize that anything is possible.

Thanks to all involved for keeping the Mego dream alive.

Chris

The Bat
Feb 6, '08, 8:26 AM
I echo the concern of My fellow Members....will I actually be able to get My Hands on one or two Khan's?? I live in Maine...which is as far north as You can get...next stop Canada!:please_y:

JDeRouen
Feb 6, '08, 8:31 AM
I have two Hastings within spitting distance of my house. If all else fails, I'll gladly pick them up for whoever needs them.

Brue
Feb 6, '08, 8:50 AM
I have two Hastings within spitting distance of my house. If all else fails, I'll gladly pick them up for whoever needs them.

FREE Kahns! Thanks Joe - I'll take two.

JK

Brue
Feb 6, '08, 8:52 AM
... I made the jumpsuit - which explains the lack of sophistication.

Very Megoey

The Bat
Feb 6, '08, 9:11 AM

You Da Man Joe! And thank You for My recent order...You've actually been FASTER than anybody else I've ordered from lately!

JDeRouen
Feb 6, '08, 10:07 AM
FYI, we online dealers, according to my Diamond rep, will sadly not be able to offer the Khans. Also, there's supposed to be a San Diego Comic Con exclusive as well. Not sure what it is yet, though!

hobub
Feb 6, '08, 12:01 PM
FYI, we online dealers, according to my Diamond rep, will sadly not be able to offer the Khans. Also, there's supposed to be a San Diego Comic Con exclusive as well. Not sure what it is yet, though!

Good gimic for a new rare chase figure.

How is this making figures more available to everyone who wants one?

I wouldn't be so steamed about it if the Romulan and Andorian were left alone.

Fairness across the board is the decent way to go.

Btw, anyone who want's an FX GAH chase fig can have one for $150 on ebay or $300 at DM.com. And if you want an original Andorian or Rommy, those can be had for about $150 or less these days.

Rare chase figures frustrated the collectors of Playmates and the bottom eventually dropped out.

Brue
Feb 6, '08, 12:29 PM
...And if you want an original Andorian or Rommy, those can be had for about $150 or less these days...

This is a double edged sword.
On one hand I am happy to have complete figures that look like originals but if you had an original - it has lost value.

My Knights are examples of both. I bought the CTVT knights & merry men and sold my original Arthur (with good box, sans crown) and loose Gallahad (missing all accessories) thinking the two originals would more than pay for the 9 replicas.
-They didn't - the Arthur had dropped significantly from what it was going for a year earlier.
On the plus side I have representations of everyone.

Now - I have a Keeper that will go down in value but I have andorian and romulan that i prob never would have had.

btw - I should qualify this all as CASH value and not intrinsic value because they are wholely different.

The Sentry
Feb 6, '08, 12:32 PM
Oh man! THIS IS A DREAM COME TRUE! I just got off of the phone with Trappy about this and he's absolutely THRILLED! ALMOST AS MUCH AS I AM! BANG UP JOB DOC! Hey Joe, while people are placing orders, I'll take 4!

hobub
Feb 6, '08, 12:33 PM
This is a double edged sword.
On one hand I am happy to have complete figures that look like originals but if you had an original - it has lost value.

My Knights are examples of both. I bought the CTVT knights & merry men and sold my original Arthur (with good box, sans crown) and loose Gallahad (missing all accessories) thinking the two originals would more than pay for the 9 replicas.
-They didn't - the Arthur had dropped significantly from what it was going for a year earlier.
On the plus side I have representations of everyone.

Now - I have a Keeper that will go down in value but I have andorian and romulan that i prob never would have had.

btw - I should qualify this all as CASH value and not intrinsic value because they are wholely different.

I understand, and I hate to cause debate. I respect Paul's efforts and I am a huge fan of Dunsels. If it means an original Dunsel Mego Line, I can live with the loss of value of my original Mego rarities. I haven't sold them yet. But if it means new Rare chase figures that will replace the high valued Rommy and Andorian, that bothers the heck out me.

txteach
Feb 6, '08, 12:33 PM
Very cool about the Khan figure but an exclusive? I think the scalpers will chomping at the bit for this. Ebay will be their playground.

Brue
Feb 6, '08, 12:41 PM
...an original Dunsel Mego Line...

OK I admit it - I had to look it up:

Dunsel
From Memory Alpha, the free Star Trek reference.
Jump to: navigation, search

Dunsel is a term used by mid-shipmen in the 23rd century to describe a part which serves no useful purpose.

The term was used as an insult (albeit a playful one) to Captain James T. Kirk during the war games test of the M-5 Multitronic Unit created by Dr. Richard Daystrom. Commodore Robert Wesley called Kirk Captain Dunsel, to the confusion of Dr. Leonard McCoy. Kirk's First Officer Spock explained the term only after Kirk had left the bridge, stung by the insult. (TOS: "The Ultimate Computer")

Sideshow Spock
Feb 6, '08, 12:44 PM
Why is this being called a "chase" figure? Becuz the DST description says "limited"? That's how all specialty retail action figures are described these days. EMCE's Klingon and Kirk were "limited", so are the Andorian and Spock, etc. I'm sure Khan will be made in sufficient quantity to sate collectors, just as the other EMCE offerings have been.

And as I said earlier, Diamond may not be offering Khan to the usual online dealers, but there's nothing preventing a dealer from buying a substantial wholesale allotment from the outlets that ARE able to offer it. NewForce has done this many times over the years with exclusives, and then the figure is available to any who want it, at a minimal mark-up over the figure's original cost. Sometimes he even offers them at the same wholesale price he paid.

The Bat
Feb 6, '08, 12:45 PM
I knew that...which only serves to prove what a Star Trek Geek I am.:grin:

hobub
Feb 6, '08, 12:53 PM
Why is this being called a "chase" figure? Becuz the DST description says "limited"? That's how all specialty retail action figures are described these days. EMCE's Klingon and Kirk were "limited", so are the Andorian and Spock, etc. I'm sure Khan will be made in sufficient quantity to sate collectors, just as the other EMCE offerings have been.

And as I said earlier, Diamond may not be offering Khan to the usual online dealers, but there's nothing preventing a dealer from buying a substantial wholesale allotment from the outlets that ARE able to offer it. NewForce has done this many times over the years with exclusives, and then the figure is available to any who want it, at a minimal mark-up over the figure's original cost. Sometimes he even offers them at the same wholesale price he paid.

Limited/Chase means about the same to me. As long as they don't follow the same scalping pattern that the FX GAH did with DM actually posting it on his site for $300 after undermining the rare value of lines such as RCB, RMR, Andorian and Romulan, I won't be complaining. I just thought that was a bit much. To me, it's kind of like insider trading in a sense :no:

But with my concerns aside, I still think this is awesome. I just don't want to have to pay through the nose to get one nor do I think anyone else should, since these were partly (along with the hard work of the individuals who did it) built on the "blood" (meaning popularity) of former valuable rare figures such as Romulan and Andorian.

jessica
Feb 6, '08, 1:53 PM
So how could I acquire one?

Hulk
Feb 6, '08, 3:56 PM
I will make inquiries to see if I can obtain at least enough to cover my regular customers. I know I'd want help moving these if I were them. Seems like we have a bit of time before these arrive, so lets all be patient and see what we can arrange.

Goblin19
Feb 6, '08, 4:08 PM
I'm not even a Trek fan and I'm amazed at this. I can't wait to see what's down the road.

Sideshow Spock
Feb 6, '08, 4:21 PM
I stupidly didn't even think about Hastings online store. Reasonable to assume they'll make it available on there..

Founded in 1968, Hastings Entertainment, Inc. is a leading multimedia entertainment retailer that combines the sale of new and used CDs, books, videos and video games, as well as boutique merchandise, with the rental of videos and video games in a superstore format. We currently operate 153 superstores, averaging approximately 20,000 square feet, primarily in medium-sized markets throughout the United States.

We also operate http://www.gohastings.com, an e-commerce Internet web site that makes available to our customers new and used entertainment products and unique, contemporary gifts and toys.

Remco Monster
Feb 6, '08, 5:00 PM
I wouldn't count on that. For one, I don't see any action figures for sale on their site, and two, many times store exclusives aren't offered through the retailer's online stores. For example, the G.I. Joe Adventure Team reissues that were exclusive to Wal-Mart weren't offered through walmart.com

BlackKnight
Feb 6, '08, 5:09 PM
It is Stupid to call this a "Chase Figure" . Isn't the term for a Chase figure mean that the figure is a variant of a pre-exsisting toy that was already released, with perhaps a different paint job, different close's , boots or a different headsculpts ? I also find it weird , in the stores that they are marketing this behind,.. I have not ever heard of one of them. :googly: I wonder if Big Bad Toy Store will get any of these. They seem to be a big supporter of Doc & EMEC, with all the figures they have had, & always seem to get their hands on exclusives or chase figures. Otherwise I am Screwed to the Ebay Scalpers. :yuk:

BendyZaius
Feb 6, '08, 5:25 PM
[QUOTE=hobub;90477]As long as they don't follow the same scalping pattern that the FX GAH did with DM actually posting it on his site for $300 after undermining the rare value of lines such as RCB, RMR, Andorian and Romulan, I won't be complaining.

I agree with you Len, hope they aren't all scalped. I was at FX when the GAH figures went on sale. I had mine within 30 min. I could have gotten 12 if I wanted them then headed back to the hotel and gotten them on eBay with 300.00 BINS like some other people obviously did. Some start times on auctions were within 2 hours of when the figs came out. I didn't of course, but many did. I think stock boys at 'Hastings" will be getting rich off this one like the "Tapestry Picard" years ago.

hobub
Feb 6, '08, 5:34 PM
It is Stupid to call this a "Chase Figure" . Isn't the term for a Chase figure mean that the figure is a variant of a pre-exsisting toy that was already released, with perhaps a different paint job, different close's , boots or a different headsculpts ? I also find it weird , in the stores that they are marketing this behind,.. I have not ever heard of one of them. :googly: I wonder if Big Bad Toy Store will get any of these. They seem to be a big supporter of Doc & EMEC, with all the figures they have had, & always seem to get their hands on exclusives or chase figures. Otherwise I am Screwed to the Ebay Scalpers. :yuk:

"Stupid?", EXCUSE ME?! Isn't exactly a term I'd use around here. You had better watch who you throw insults to pal. I am really not in the mood.

hobub
Feb 6, '08, 5:41 PM
[QUOTE=hobub;90477]As long as they don't follow the same scalping pattern that the FX GAH did with DM actually posting it on his site for $300 after undermining the rare value of lines such as RCB, RMR, Andorian and Romulan, I won't be complaining.

I agree with you Len, hope they aren't all scalped. I was at FX when the GAH figures went on sale. I had mine within 30 min. I could have gotten 12 if I wanted them then headed back to the hotel and gotten them on eBay with 300.00 BINS like some other people obviously did. Some start times on auctions were within 2 hours of when the figs came out. I didn't of course, but many did. I think stock boys at 'Hastings" will be getting rich off this one like the "Tapestry Picard" years ago.

Thanks Man. I would have never brought this up in the first place had I not been hit by the downfall of value on what I paid for my RCBs, RMRs, Andorians and Romulans which took a hard hit. I mean if you are going to redistribute the wealth by handing out exact reproductions of rare action figures to everyone without asking anyone what they think about the matter.
Perhaps you should not be creating your own Chase, excuse me, BLACKKNIGHT, short run, action figure then selling it on your site for $300. and even ebay for that matter.

The Bat
Feb 6, '08, 6:03 PM
Technically, BK is right...it's not a chase Figure...it's an exclusive. But nitpicking aside...I'm not happy about it either, because I can't order it it through Diamond...and the uncertainty of being able to buy one at a reasonable price.:sad:

BlackKnight
Feb 6, '08, 6:09 PM
"Stupid?", EXCUSE ME?! Isn't exactly a term I'd use around here. You had better watch who you throw insults to pal. I am really not in the mood.

I was not insulting you. I was under the impression that Diamond was marketing the figure as a "chase" figure, and was merly trying to give the definition of what I thought the Term chase figure meant.

hobub
Feb 6, '08, 6:20 PM
I was not insulting you. I was under the impression that Diamond was marketing the figure as a "chase" figure, and was merly trying to give the definition of what I thought the Term chase figure meant.

No harm then. Just a misunderstanding. I would have accepted "ignorant" more openly because I was. I used the term, because to me, that's what they are; when you create an exclusive to send collectors in a frenzy to get the figure and what ends up is the scalpers get them, put them on ebay or storefronts at obsenely marked up prices.

But all aside, I do respect what Paul is trying to do. I have just been on a fence here because I searched high and low for years, made trades and landed more than a few high ended megos which were ruined in value by his guy in china. The way I feel, is that if that is the way it is to be, then everyone should have an equal hand at getting one. And I for one am one of the biggest fans of Dunsels work and will be landing as many of his pieces as I can.

And Paul, if you are out there. I still love you man. I just wish you hadn't destroyed the value of my rare megos.

Flynne
Feb 6, '08, 6:33 PM
I can't wait to put one of these Khan's on my Trek shelf. To Paul, James, and all others involved - a heartfelt thank you! New Megos (copyrighted names be damned!) will be on the shelf again, and who can't feel the joy of that? I could not be happier. You guys are awesome!

Dave Mc
Feb 6, '08, 6:38 PM
Actually Dave did not have anything to do with Khan's jumpsuit. I asked Dave, but he was busy with real life, and I had to get the prototypes out to China and DST before
the end of October, so I made the jumpsuit - which explains the lack of sophistication.

Damn the timing of my arm surgery! I just couldn't help out on this one although I would have, under other circumstances certainly helped out.

Sideshow Spock
Feb 6, '08, 6:42 PM
Exclusives are very common in today's specialty toy market, and have basically become a necessary evil. DST has already had many exclusives with their Star Trek line (SDCC, Musicland, AFX, EE, NewForce, etc etc) and none of them have created a "frenzy" or been particularly hard to get. I'm taking the optimistic route and thinking Khan will be likewise.

MegoSteve
Feb 6, '08, 8:02 PM
I don't even like Trek that much, but I have to admit I'm very excited for the Khan figure and the possibilities it foreshadows for EMCE. Congrats to everyone involved!

drmego
Feb 6, '08, 8:28 PM
You're putting the cart before the horse regarding the FX Greatest American Hero.

Just to let you know - I delivered all 500 FX GAH figures to Mike Herz with the understanding that I would buy back 25 at the $40 full retail price to
help him out since he was only allowed to sell them for 3 days. I told
my wife that I would try to buy as many as possible if Mike got stuck
with too many leftovers.

He had done an exclusive Dracula and Frankenstein with CTV two years before, and was still unable to sell more than 200 of them. He finally
gave away the other 800 figures to local kids on Halloween, so he
feared a repeat of that.

I got my 25 GAHs and went to visit Disney for a week. That Sunday
night after the show, I saw prices to crazy on ebay. I didn't sell any
until I got home a week later. I only have 5 left, so forgive me if I am
holding out for $300. I'm willing to wait 10-20 years.

BTW - I asked Mike to go back to Cannell to discuss a real
license, but he never did so. Now it is in more capable hands.

Action Martin
Feb 6, '08, 8:38 PM
This is great news for Star Trek fans. Now I hope that the Planet of the Apes line can get some new figures mingled in with the classic Mego POTA figures. :ape:

Werewolf
Feb 6, '08, 9:30 PM
Whoa! Wicked cool!

AcroRay
Feb 6, '08, 9:59 PM
Sorry I'm late in posting, but; congratulations Doc and everyone involved in this! I know my wife will want one! (even though I got her DaveMC's Kahn head a while back, waiting now to be customized... The sculpt is amazing.)

The first genuine new 8" Megos* in 25+ years - now THAT's an achievement. Even Hal back on packaging art!

Too cool!

[* Palisades' Time Traveler Medic gets first 3 & 3/4 Mego" in 25+ years, I think. :wink_y:]

Hamonrye
Feb 6, '08, 10:13 PM
It's taking me awhile to process just how much of a game-changer this is. Hail to the saviors of Mego!

David Lee
Feb 6, '08, 10:39 PM
NICE! Congratulations to all involved! NEW FIGURES!!!!! Kudos to you friends... and for it to be James Brady's sculpt is just perfect...

Way to go!

-Dave

gaga4toyz
Feb 6, '08, 11:22 PM
Great job. Can't wait to get a new Trek figure in my mitts.

hobub
Feb 7, '08, 9:46 AM
You're putting the cart before the horse regarding the FX Greatest American Hero.

Just to let you know - I delivered all 500 FX GAH figures to Mike Herz with the understanding that I would buy back 25 at the $40 full retail price to
help him out since he was only allowed to sell them for 3 days. I told
my wife that I would try to buy as many as possible if Mike got stuck
with too many leftovers.

He had done an exclusive Dracula and Frankenstein with CTV two years before, and was still unable to sell more than 200 of them. He finally
gave away the other 800 figures to local kids on Halloween, so he
feared a repeat of that.

I got my 25 GAHs and went to visit Disney for a week. That Sunday
night after the show, I saw prices to crazy on ebay. I didn't sell any
until I got home a week later. I only have 5 left, so forgive me if I am
holding out for $300. I'm willing to wait 10-20 years.

BTW - I asked Mike to go back to Cannell to discuss a real
license, but he never did so. Now it is in more capable hands.

Ok, I guess we're in the same boat then. Would you like to swap one for an original Romulan hmmn, nevermind. :grin:

dumbldor
Feb 7, '08, 11:32 AM
Congratulations to Paul and EMCE toys, and thank you for giving the community what it has most been seeking. I apologize for not being a believer along the way that new original figures would be produced. Kudos to all involved.

megoscott
Feb 7, '08, 11:49 AM
By the way, getting Hal Shull to do package art for this is a truly brilliant marketing move---keeping it as close to the original source as possible---but it's also a great way to honor a real Mego legend. Good job, Paul and EMCE.

The Bat
Feb 7, '08, 12:07 PM
Doc.......I'm still going to pressure You to anwser My question.:grin:

"Is the Head just a Resin Cast for show as the Prototype? Will the final Head be soft(Rotocast)"??

roman
Feb 7, '08, 2:30 PM
Oh I know the Trekkies will be seething over this comment....

If I add a CTVT white suit .. it's Mr Roark. " Welcome to Fantasy Island"

Smiles everyone , smiles ....

Sorry I had to ....

I am not into Star Trek but let me say to the good Doctor the PHD of Mego U. himself ... Dr Paul Clarke... You are the the Mego King.

How the hell did you manage to keep quiet on this? Just like our C.A. team you have managed a major KOO. I have to admit that it is great to see a brand new charcater added to a Mego line. And to have all the old Mego folks on board with you is beyond impressive.

For all the Trekkies I hope you do add the Russian and Asian guys. I do believe they were unfairly missing from the original issue by Mego. I also hope that the powers that be make these affordable to all as well.

Great work Dr Mego!

I am a bit curious as to the Horror figures you have om tap but YOu left me with a conundrum. YOu mentioned the licensing from Stephen J. Canal. Might this mean we can see Ralph H. again? Might this mean The A-Team, Magnum P.I ?

I am not sure what other shows Canal did, sorry. I always confuse his ending of pulling the paper from the type writer with the old line " Sit UBU sit, good dog"...

I sit here with wallet in hand brother....

Kudos to you and all of you guys in keeping this alive and making the internet something awesome.

Rob

Remco Monster
Feb 7, '08, 3:16 PM
I am a bit curious as to the Horror figures you have om tap

Me too!

Hoping for a Karl Kolchak. The Night Stalker would have made a hell of a Mego.

jwyblejr
Feb 7, '08, 7:12 PM
What is the website for Hastings?

I found a video store called http://www.gohastings.com

As for Planet X - I found a video game store in Miami at the Dolphin Mall
with that name and an "e-planetx" with two stores in Canada.

I did a search on Google for Planet X and it said way down at the bottom see Game Stop/EB Games. Maybe they'll be coming to them as well?

The Bat
Feb 7, '08, 7:15 PM
I did a search on Google for Planet X and it said way down at the bottom see Game Stop/EB Games. Maybe they'll be coming to them as well?

My Local Gamestops & EB's have stopped carrying Action Figures.:sad:

spamn
Feb 7, '08, 9:02 PM
My Local Gamestops & EB's have stopped carrying Action Figures.:sad:I'm pretty sure no Game Stop and EB carries action figures any more.

I'm willing, nay desperate, to be proved wrong, though. All my local Suncoasts are closing; I gotta drive 40 min to find one.

LordMalvolio
Feb 8, '08, 12:53 AM
Wow! Now the game has gotten interesting!!! Great news guys! I look forward to this figure along with the upcoming new figures in this line! Here's to a series accurate Gorn, Mugoto, Salt Vampire, Nurse Chapel, Yoeman Rand, Sarek, Amanda, Commodore Decker, Sulu and Chekov!!!! Awesome news!

Remco Monster
Feb 8, '08, 3:02 AM
As cool as it is they are continuing the Trek line, it would be even cooler to see them continue the Apes line. Hope the Apes sell well enough to warrant it. Don't get me wrong though, I am very excited about Trek expanding. The Khan is jaw dropping.

Cardbuff
Feb 8, '08, 4:17 AM
I just got the Andorian two weeks ago at my local comic store, and it is awesome! That was my first repro, I would have gotten the Klingon and maybe Kirk, but I found out too late. I have the Romulan and Scottie on order. The Kahn looks just as fantastic, and I definitely want one (OK, two, one to save!), but as others are saying, I don't think they're going to be available by me. I've never heard of Hastings or Planet X stores. And, I have a 'thing' about paying ebay scalpers. If people here are able to help out, I will be grateful!

timmy
Feb 8, '08, 10:24 AM
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/wizarduniverse_1989_101345922

JDeRouen
Feb 8, '08, 10:38 AM
Oh no! Disco Mugato!

BlackKnight
Feb 8, '08, 11:24 AM
What is that pic of Mugato & Uhura From ? Toyfair right ? Is that EMEC new figures ? If so,.. Then Doc Figured out how to make a better female Body then CTVT, I would think,.. & I am speachless in Aaahhhhhhhhhhh. :yes:

The Bat
Feb 8, '08, 12:23 PM

Wow...this is a dissappointment.:ugh_y: I've always HATED the Mugato(I guess a Series accurate One wasn't possible?). And I'm not a big Fan of Uhrua either...oh well...there's some Money saved.

mars396
Feb 8, '08, 12:30 PM
W T F ?!?!?!??!?

where is that picture coming from !??!?!

We knew Uhura was next after Scottie-Keeper, but I heard the Alien would be Cheron !

I was PSYCHED to finally get a non-orange-suited Cheron!

who thought it was time for that aweful Mugato !?!?!?!

The Bat
Feb 8, '08, 12:39 PM
W T F ?!?!?!??!?

where is that picture coming from !??!?!

I was under the impression that (and EXTREMELY excited about) Uhura was next after Scottie-Keeper, but the Alien would be Cheron !

who thought it was time for that aweful Mugato !?!?!?!

Now the Cheron...I would have bought!:yeah:

Werewolf
Feb 8, '08, 12:40 PM

Oh, that is cool. I actually prefer disco Mugato over the Cheron.

timmy
Feb 8, '08, 1:22 PM
found it on ToyFare news page.

Prez.Tonic
Feb 8, '08, 1:37 PM
I'm defintley gonna buy the Disco Mugato.......I'll pass on Uhura, she's a doll (I collect action figures). :yuk:

Khaaannnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mars396
Feb 8, '08, 2:01 PM
found it on ToyFare news page.

link please

Meule
Feb 8, '08, 5:38 PM
I like 'em both and I'm getting them both

jds1911a1
Feb 11, '08, 5:47 PM
Limited/Chase means about the same to me. As long as they don't follow the same scalping pattern that the FX GAH did with DM actually posting it on his site for $300 after undermining the rare value of lines such as RCB, RMR, Andorian and Romulan, I won't be complaining. I just thought that was a bit much. To me, it's kind of like insider trading in a sense :no:

But with my concerns aside, I still think this is awesome. I just don't want to have to pay through the nose to get one nor do I think anyone else should, since these were partly (along with the hard work of the individuals who did it) built on the "blood" (meaning popularity) of former valuable rare figures such as Romulan and Andorian.

The debate /aguement of how repros reduce vitage value has been done to death (look in older strings). Don't confuse what FX toys did with GAH with scalping by Doc. They have been "retailing" their con exclusives for exorbitant prices ever since they had gijoe cons in the 80's. I am sure they named the price not doc.

jds1911a1
Feb 11, '08, 6:00 PM
Just read Doc's statement about the GAH so I sand corrected Hobub

Jerry68
Feb 16, '08, 2:42 PM
:drool_y:Everyone,

I have the Hastings Barcode # for the Star Trek Retro Khan Exculsive............. 69978817699
I called the Richmond In store and got this info from Meagan!!!
It will be released in June. Meagan suggested I call back in April and perhaps I can order then. I thought everyone would like to know!!:drool_y:

The Bat
Feb 16, '08, 3:06 PM
:drool_y:Everyone,

I have the Hastings Barcode # for the Star Trek Retro Khan Exculsive............. 69978817699
I called the Richmond In store and got this info from Meagan!!!
It will be released in June. Meagan suggested I call back in April and perhaps I can order then. I thought everyone would like to know!!:drool_y:

EXCELLENT Jerry!!!!! Keep Us posted!! Maybe they will let Us order online?!:drool_y:

cdhall
Feb 16, '08, 3:35 PM
I am such a part-timer here. I nearly didn't get converted from the old forum, but:

AWESOME NEWS!!!

I can't believe it. I am going to have to get 2 part time jobs if I can still buy some of these. I have a bunch of questions, someone email me at doughall@prepaidlegal.com or PM me if I can call at my expense and catch up on news or put links here, I have a bunch of questions:

1. Are these new Repros going to be available only in small bursts so maybe I've missed some already?

2. Is Diamond Select/Emcee toys the vendor/maker? I think I know Dr. Mego is Emcee toys, right?

3. What is the GAH thing? Was there a Greatest American Hero Mego ever? Is it coming back?

4. What others in the Trek line are coming for sure, anyone know? ie is there a thread/new release like Kirk/Klingon available Jan-Mar 08, Bones/X next, etc just so I can go check and see what maybe I've missed and what is coming?

5. Is it just me though or can I buy a painted custom head and Mego body and make one of these guys myself? Is the big deal that there is Costume, Accesories and Packaging to boot?

Sorry to be such a newbie. I would like to get a Minty set of Trek Megos though.

Regarding the Original vs Repro debate. I think that since I started trying to "cast" my own Trek Mego movie so long ago, that I've mixed my original figures with the repros I acquired to complete the cast. I'm going to pull them down and look now. It maybe that my originals are also still in their original costume/accessories but I'm not sure.

Thanks to anyone who will let me call and catch up on all this but I'll check this thread and my PMs as well.

This is a great time in Trek Mego history. When the house payment is caught up, I'll get one of each I think.

I think I saw on the Diamond site that they made a ST II era Enterprise. I have a TOS one, but if this one has lights and sound I'll have to get one as well.

Wow! Awesome! After I regain consciousness I'll check back. This is, to paraphrase Mr. Spock, "Fascinating."

cdhall
Feb 16, '08, 3:45 PM
I've just been to Diamond's site again and it seems like the "Retro Figure" Line is the only one in the Articulated Mego style. Right?

Their other figures are molded plastic, but not Mego like whether they are articulated or not? Just want to be sure.

Also, Hulk and Joe sell these Diamond figures? It says I missed my chance to get the Kirk/Klingon set. But I'll check their sites.

Thanks again. This is an awesome website and community!

The Bat
Feb 16, '08, 4:12 PM
All the info You need to get caught up, is right here on the "REPLICA CHAT" Forum. So....start reading!!:grin::wink_y:

cdhall
Feb 16, '08, 4:40 PM
Thanks Bat. I've read this thread pretty closely. I'll work on the rest of this forum.

davidb
Feb 16, '08, 8:52 PM
I've just been to Diamond's site again and it seems like the "Retro Figure" Line is the only one in the Articulated Mego style. Right?

Their other figures are molded plastic, but not Mego like whether they are articulated or not? Just want to be sure.

Also, Hulk and Joe sell these Diamond figures? It says I missed my chance to get the Kirk/Klingon set. But I'll check their sites.

Thanks again. This is an awesome website and community!

I believe that Doc Mego still has Kirks available at doctormego.com. I don't know if he still has the Klingon, too, or not.

cdhall
Feb 17, '08, 12:00 AM
Awesome, hadn't been there in a while. He seems to have a few of each.

captact
Feb 17, '08, 11:20 AM
Is there a way to PRE-ORDER for the Khan,...in case its a limited exclusive,.Thanks friends for any links!!!

Ray Flores

Hulk
Feb 17, '08, 4:00 PM
We (Myself at Megoville.com and Joe D. at Megostore.com) are working on getting some supply for Museum Members. We'll post the details if the proper arrangements can be made, and if we can't, we'll post that as well.

txteach
Feb 17, '08, 4:25 PM
Paul, I think most of us would be willing to put up the money up front to get the deal done. I know I'd really like to get this figure and if I can buy them from you or Joe that would be a plus.

cdhall
Feb 17, '08, 4:32 PM
On a semi-related note, I was wondering why an "alliance" couldn't have been formed to get Paul to that 3,000 number to make him a distributor as he mentioned in another thread.

Is this addressed in another thread?

The Bat
Feb 17, '08, 5:23 PM
Paul, I think most of us would be willing to put up the money up front to get the deal done. I know I'd really like to get this figure and if I can buy them from you or Joe that would be a plus.

I would GLADLY pay up front, without a second thought!! Count Me in!!:yes:

Ivaniski
Feb 17, '08, 6:20 PM

Dido!.......I'll gladly pay up front, Just let me know how much?

Hulk
Feb 18, '08, 12:06 AM
Much appreciated guys, although no upfront money should be required. Mostly it us up to at least one of the exclusive dealers to allow a direct or semi-direct sale to us pre-retail. If they allow it, I can handle the upfront money. I'm used to fronting a couple three thousand bucks, its when the number hits 5 figures that I fold like a cheap card table.

As far as getting to 3000 figures, that is about 5 to 10 times more than I could probably handle directly. Find me 9 others that wouldn't be competing for the same limited market and I'd be all about an exclusive. Until then, I'll leave it to the full time toy dealers.

livnxxxl
Feb 18, '08, 2:19 AM

ditto that if need be. Count me in!

Mefiboschet
Feb 18, '08, 2:50 AM
ditto that if need be. Count me in!

Me too!!!

Brown Bear
Feb 18, '08, 7:32 AM
Me three!!!! and Four!!!!

davidb
Feb 18, '08, 9:01 AM
I'm in.

Randy
Feb 18, '08, 1:16 PM
Count me in!!
R

Jerry68
Feb 18, '08, 6:23 PM
Count me in as well!

jessica
Feb 29, '08, 2:07 PM
I'm in!!!!!!

captact
Mar 5, '08, 10:56 PM
ME TOO as well!!!!!!!!

Delusional B
Mar 6, '08, 12:00 AM
...and my axe!!!

Oh, wait...I mean I would be willing to preorder also. Definitely!

highquality
Mar 6, '08, 3:11 PM
Me too.

Mark one down for the Purist.

Anything to promote more of James' work is fine by me.

I'm just glad to have a decent amount of his early work. They're very special to me.

Meule
Mar 6, '08, 3:15 PM
I just hope someone can pick one up for me, cause I'd hate to miss out on anything this cool

Brown Bear
Mar 11, '08, 9:57 AM
Is anyone in a position to act as a middleman for the Khan figure to ensure we ALL get one without a ridulous mark up?

Wouldn't it be nice if we, the collectors, got first dibs on him?

Sideshow Spock
Mar 11, '08, 10:51 AM
Read this whole thread. Answers lie within. :yes:

Sideshow Spock
Mar 13, '08, 2:20 PM
I mentioned a few times earlier in this thread that Rick @ New Force would be trying to buy an allotment of Khan wholesale (as Hulk was also hoping to do), and I emailed him yesterday to ask if there's been any progress. He said he'd emailed Hastings/Planet X several times in the last few weeks to begin the dialogue, but none of his emails had been returned.

Hopefully that will change as the release time gets closer... :please_y:

Hulk
Mar 13, '08, 3:48 PM
Still working on it. As mentioned, if I can arrange this, this forum will be where I announce it.

Meule
Mar 13, '08, 5:27 PM
Still working on it. As mentioned, if I can arrange this, this forum will be where I announce it.

Keeping my fingers crossed :wink_y:

SpaceCrawler
Jul 22, '08, 1:12 AM
Any word on if and when these will be available?

Sean

Sideshow Spock
Jul 22, '08, 10:42 AM
See this thread:

Khan Update - Mego Talk (http://megomuseum.com/community/showthread.php?t=11719)

Randy
Jul 23, '08, 10:48 AM
I Want One!!!

drmego
Jul 26, '08, 1:08 PM
What's the name of the manager at Planet X?

K
Jul 26, '08, 3:35 PM
^ Paul,

I'm not sure if she's the manager, but the reply to my email inquiry was from "Aneesh Chopra" and she signed the message "Tina" (nickname, perhaps?).

Her email addy is: orders@eplanetx.net

JediJaida
Jul 26, '08, 5:32 PM
Sure, young Kahn is a cool figure. Old Kahn was even better. All that bitterness and hate etched into his features.

As for me, I might buy it. However, I am waiting for the Female Romulan Commander to come out.

Just how many Trek characters is Paul going to do? Is he going to do everybody?

Like T'Pring, T'Pau, T'Pol, etc.

I am going to get my greedy paws on Uhura, provided I can buy her singly without that horrid Mugato.

Whose idea was it to dress what is basically a yeti with a poisonous bite?

The Bat
Jul 26, '08, 7:12 PM
I am going to get my greedy paws on Uhura, provided I can buy her singly without that horrid Mugato.

Whose idea was it to dress what is basically a yeti with a poisonous bite?

I with Ya...I'll be passing on the Mugato!:yuk: