X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JPkempo
    Permanent Member
    • Jun 17, 2001

Doctor Who on DVD

I would love to get the DVDs but why do they cost so much?
    I paid less for the Heros HD-DVD boxed set than I can get most normal DVD sets of Doctor Who. I would love to get them right for the original season one.
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Everything DVD or VHS related to Doctor Who (New and Classic) is always nutty overpriced.

That's why they invented DVD-Shrink and Netflix

Comment

• Flynne
      Permanent Member
      • Jan 22, 2003

Yeah, $100 USD for 13 episodes is just asking too much, especially when a season is only 13 episodes for the BBC whereas a season for US television is 22-26 episodes. The cheapest I have seen at retail for a season of Dr. Who for sale is $65. if they come down below $50 I would consider getting them.
      An old Irish Blessing - "May those who love us, love us; and if they do not love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He does not turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles, that we may know them by their limping"

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
        Pat Troughton in disguise
        • Nov 21, 2007

Over here the box sets retain their price but the individual "vanilla " releases and original Who stories are being re released at under £10. They often appear in sales in buy one get one free and anything from £6-£12. The double sets or monster box sets such as timeflight/arc of infinity, davros boxset, key to time and the begining are still full price and are becoming more difficult to track down.
        ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

Here in the US, be it Classic or New Series... you just can't buy them at the corner department store.

You either have to get them online, or IF YOU'RE LUCKY, you might find them AT FULL PRICE at the local mall video store.

I still remember paying like $29.00 for PLanet of the Spiders VHS back in the early 90's.

When it comes to Who......
          I have no prob with buying and trading boots.

They're so expensive here, there's no other way to watch them and make a decent library of the stories.
          Unless you're a millionaire
          Last edited by Mikey; Feb 4, '08, 6:17 PM.

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
            • Nov 21, 2007

Before the VHS explosion the entire who community over here relied on bootlegs...I still remember the thrill of chasing down and aquirring a Hartnell or Troughton story I hadn't seen before then passing it on to friends.
            ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

Some of mine are nice, but some are really horrid.

My Sunmakers for instance....
              Every 30 seconds it skips 1 second ahead.
              It's like trying to listen to a broken record on video

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
                • Nov 21, 2007

Yeah, I know what you mean...did have some rather interesting tapes of lost episodes where they put the telesnaps taken off camera (stills) along to the audio. At least it was some way to watch what is gone forever so you'd endure it...nowadays of course you'd only want the best copy available of ones that exist.

Comment

• drwhofan74
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 19, 2005

Dr. Who is still relatively esoteric in the US. Simple supply and demand. There is not a huge buying public here, so they produce fewer Region 1 discs and charge more for them.
                  sigpic"Sorry for the noise. My pet cricket has restless leg syndrome."

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
                    • Nov 21, 2007

How high is the ratings for Who over there....the beeb won't miss a chance to exploit something...I can't imagine them not selling them.

Comment

• JPkempo
                      Permanent Member
                      • Jun 17, 2001

Dr Who is on Sci-fi first than airs on BBC-America. But both only show the New Who. If they would start from the very first show they could go for years with out re-peat, even with a show a day.

Althow the ratings are good there not on a major network so there not as good as they could be. But if you've seen some of the crap Sci-Fi has put on even the worst ep of Who would be better.

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
                        • Nov 21, 2007

I've heard the series has been pulled from german tv schedules after only 6 episodes

Comment

• johnmiic
                          Adrift
                          • Sep 6, 2002

All the new series Who collections were on sale for 50% off at Amazon before X-Mas-taht was like $49.99 each!!!! I told my family-each person buy me 1 of the new series boxed sets and I would have had all the new episodes. But did they listen???? Nooooooooooooo!!!

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
                            • Nov 21, 2007

I personally would sack the family johnmiic...point out to them where they went wrong and fire their sorry butts...

Comment

• number 6
                              Village Idiot
                              • Jul 10, 2003

Sorry, but I couldn't help but jump in on this.

I'm sure you already have, but have you guys check DeepDiscount.com on these?

Granted, not nearly as cheap as bootleg copies, but at least, from my budget standpoint, within the realm of reason.

Season 1 & 2 together of the new Who for $120 is about the cheapest I've seen anywhere. Some of the classic episodes are under $20, cheaper than many new movies at Costco.

Anyway, hope it helps!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎