X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Confessional
    Maker & Whatnot
    • Aug 8, 2012

Devilman Custom?

Anyone know if any maker's have done a take on Go Nagai's Devilman?

I'm thinking he might be the next resident of the Ape City monster annex.

Planning on sculpting him out, but curious to see what if anything already exists. I did run across a Black Black Gum Pez-like dispenser that was inspiring.
  • ctc
    Fear the monkeybat!
    • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I haven't seen one, but he'd be a pretty good go. If you're making the comic or newer animated ones I'd probably go with a fully custom body, with carved on fur. It'd be tricky making a suit, but it could be done. (My sculpting is much better than my sewing....) Then you'd need to make a Shilene, and a Kamjin, and a Zenon....

Don C.

Comment

• Neutron X
      Persistent Member
      • Dec 22, 2007

I've been reading some translate Devilman Manga online and was thinking about doing the same thing.

Comment

• astro-greg
        • Mar 8, 2010

I have a capsule toy sculpture of the head that is more in a 6 inch scale. It's on my list of things to cast once I get around to buying the stuff and (re)learn casting. I'd be happy to lend it out if I could also have the chance to purchase one of the resulting sculpts.

It is in more in the original manga style. I can upload pics when I get back from visiting family next week.

I am a big fan of the various depictions of the character and would love to see a custom of one.

Originally posted by Confessional
        Anyone know if any maker's have done a take on Go Nagai's Devilman?

I'm thinking he might be the next resident of the Ape City monster annex.

Planning on sculpting him out, but curious to see what if anything already exists. I did run across a Black Black Gum Pez-like dispenser that was inspiring.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
          Invincible Ironing Man
          • Feb 28, 2008

Fewture and Marmit have made two excellent Devilman lines.
          I have most of these (including two BAFs).

The Marmit line is a perfect rendition of Go Nagai's style, like they stepped off the page of the manga. 10 years back, Go Nagai visited Brussels in a rare appearance (only 50 people were allowed to meet him). I got him to sign my Silene, and he drew a Mazinger for me.

Fewture is a Goth version, very cool sculpts, they look mean. The build-a-figure Dante is very cool and hard to complete.

Btw, the Japanese originals have much better sculpts. For example, Japanese Silene is topless (as in the manga), but for the American market a crude bikini top was sculpted on.
          They also released many color variations (all-black, silver, see-through), don't waste money on those.

Check out this site, he has tons of photos of these lines:

Go to the second image on the left side index (action figures, many faces of part 1 and 2).
          Last edited by Gorn Captain; Dec 31, '12, 10:23 AM.
          "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Confessional
            Maker & Whatnot
            • Aug 8, 2012

^^ Thanks for the link... I have several, and agree the Marmit series is pretty great.

I'm definitely going for the manga vibe, but there are things about the anime rendering that lend themselves nicely into a Re-Mego interpretation… perhaps a hybrid. We'll see; I'm doing the sculpt today.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
              Invincible Ironing Man
              • Feb 28, 2008

Looking forward to seeing it!!!
              "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Confessional
                Maker & Whatnot
                • Aug 8, 2012

Five days later and finally clean… lots of edits and fine sanding along the way. BTW, that's the Apoxie Sculpt product I've mentioned in a previous thread.

Went for the manga styling while emulating the classic Mego vibe. Here's a preview:

Plan on creating a high quality mold for this one and perhaps doing a special release for anyone's interested.

I'm still debating a sculpted body vs. stylized Mego-like clothing… maybe both are in order.
                Last edited by Confessional; Jan 6, '13, 6:20 PM. Reason: …patience is to be practiced!

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

For a Mego-like Devilman I kind of invision this:
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Confessional
                    Maker & Whatnot
                    • Aug 8, 2012

That's the challenge of something more true to the original character… when transformed he really didn't wear much if any clothing. Once the anime versions came about, he got lots of super-hero-like interpretations to hide the animal-like qualities and naughty bits.

Otherwise yeah, the 12" retro line that was released does have nifty Mego-like stylings. I do think it's funny tho, that if I went that direction, he would have tail like Catwoman. :P

Oh, and then there's the whole giant wings issue to solve. Quite a fun project.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎