X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bizarro Amy
    Formerly known as Del
    • Dec 12, 2004

Painting plastic shoes - an experiment

I know people have discussed changing the color of plastic shoes before, so I wanted share a tip I read earlier today. There's stuff called gesso that is supposed to help, kind of like a primer. You can buy it in art supply stores.
    The first thing you do is use fine sandpaper on the entire outside surface, just to roughen it a bit. Wash off any bits of plastic or dust. Then apply a coat of gesso with a paintbrush. Once it's dry, you should have a nice, paintable surface.
    I'm trying something slightly different at the moment. I need a pair of black Barbie-sized shoes in a specific style. I took a pair of those generic boots that are so plentiful in auction lots and used an Xacto knife to cut them into the style I wanted. I sanded the surface, then applied a coat of Mod Podge Matte. Once it was dry, I painted the shoes with nice acrylics. I will post how well it worked once they're dry.
    Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
    https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
    http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy
  • ctc
    Fear the monkeybat!
    • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

Gesso.... not a bad idea. Never thought to use it on a figure. (I use it when painting.) You'll have to let us know how durable it is when it sets.

Don C.

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
      Formerly known as Del
      • Dec 12, 2004

Keep in mind that I didn't use gesso this time around. I roughed up the shoes and coated them with Mod Podge Matte, because I've never had any trouble painting over it before. I left the surface fairly rough, because the shoes are going on a gift, and will be in a box, so I won't be able to redo them. I'm pretty happy with the results.
      Before:

After:

I would imagine the gesso method could be used in a similar manner to paint custom bodies.
      Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
      https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
      http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• Megospidey
        Museum Webslinger
        • Jul 26, 2006

Duplicolor makes a spray Vinyl and Fabric Paint that requires no sanding and no priming. It does NOT chip off like acrylics. Works great on hard or soft plastic. It actually bonds with the plastic and changes it at the molecular level (I really have no idea if it does this or not...just sounds cool).

Every custom I make that requires changing the color of something plastic gets the Vinyl and Fabric Paint treatment. Only downside....the color choices are very basic - only 8 or 9 to choose from.

Comment

• Timothy2251
          Jerks beef with Ten Bears
          • Mar 15, 2008

Can you spray another paint, say Krylon Fusion over something painted with the Duplicolor Vinyl/Fabric paint? Sort of using the Duplicolor as an ersatz primer?
          "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• ctc
            Fear the monkeybat!
            • Aug 16, 2001

>Duplicolor makes a spray Vinyl and Fabric Paint that requires no sanding and no priming.

It's close to the car interior stuff I love so much. It's good, but it only works on certain plastics; namely porous vinyls and such. It absorbs in, and doesn't rub off. Ever. At all. (So be careful with it.) For shoes and boots, the Krylon stuff is probably better. Boots are a soft plastic, but they're a styrene or propolyne derivative. Not porous at all; hence why it's so tough to find anything that sticks.

>Sort of using the Duplicolor as an ersatz primer?

Mmmmmaaaayyyybbbbeeeee...... But I'd experiment first. The duplicolour would work more like an undercoat and not a primer; that is, it's not gonna be colour neutral and it'll tint the surface paint. (Unless you just hoze that stuff on!) For boots and shows you MIGHT try a really hardcore primer.... like sandable auto primer or house primer.... and paint over that. It shouldn't eat throguh the item, and there's not enough detail that you'd risk losing any.

Don C.

Comment

• THE MEGO
              Museum Patron
              • Jul 9, 2012

That all sound very cool. Thank you guys for that information. I've been struggling with that for a long time now.
              Gesso or Duplicolor. VERY COOL. I will try this.
              If you guys want to laugh, I've been having such a hard time with painting mego boots, I just make cloth boots.
              Example of cloth boots is on one of my customs on eBay. Check it out. I'm on my work computer now and I don't have that picture saved on this desk top. Sorry..
              I believe its under, "Custom mego batman, world peacekeeper, gi-joe style 12 inch action figure." I THINK...

Comment

• Timothy2251
                Jerks beef with Ten Bears
                • Mar 15, 2008

Originally posted by ctc
                >Duplicolor makes a spray Vinyl and Fabric Paint that requires no sanding and no priming.

It's close to the car interior stuff I love so much. It's good, but it only works on certain plastics; namely porous vinyls and such. It absorbs in, and doesn't rub off. Ever. At all. (So be careful with it.) For shoes and boots, the Krylon stuff is probably better. Boots are a soft plastic, but they're a styrene or propolyne derivative. Not porous at all; hence why it's so tough to find anything that sticks.

>Sort of using the Duplicolor as an ersatz primer?

Mmmmmaaaayyyybbbbeeeee...... But I'd experiment first. The duplicolour would work more like an undercoat and not a primer; that is, it's not gonna be colour neutral and it'll tint the surface paint. (Unless you just hoze that stuff on!) For boots and shows you MIGHT try a really hardcore primer.... like sandable auto primer or house primer.... and paint over that. It shouldn't eat throguh the item, and there's not enough detail that you'd risk losing any.

Don C.
                Think I'll experiment when it gets warmer - thanks, Don!
                "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• ctc
                  Fear the monkeybat!
                  • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

One trick I"ve used is to use spray plastic paint on boots, and then urethane the hell out of them. It works, but urethane yellows over time, which is noticable on lighter colours.

Don C.

Comment

• Boywonder0
                    Persistent Member
                    • Dec 29, 2007

DupliColor Vinyl & Fabric Spray Paint - For Vinyl, PVC & hard rubber.
                    Krylon Fusion for Plastics - Ehrr... For Plastics.

Amazing products on their own!

Take years of experimentation this quick...

Comment

• THE MEGO
                      Museum Patron
                      • Jul 9, 2012

Painting boots

Originally posted by Boywonder0
                      DupliColor Vinyl & Fabric Spray Paint - For Vinyl, PVC & hard rubber.
                      Krylon Fusion for Plastics - Ehrr... For Plastics.

Amazing products on their own!

Take years of experimentation this quick...
                      I'm affraid to mess up. I might try it.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎